• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I've also played Tyranny and Disco Elysium.

What should I move on to in terms of RPGs?

Don't know what else to add on to this except that I love RPGs, especially CRPGs, though JRPGs or other RPGs from different regions and in different varieties would be welcome. Thanks!

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Going by your post history and what you seem to be interested in, Divinity OS seems to be your jam. You would probably love them.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
in random order

Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong
Pillars of Eternity I and II
Divinity: Original Sin 1+2 (if you have to pick one go with 2)
Divinity The Dragon Knight Saga
The Age of Decadence
Tides of Numenera
Neverwinter Nights 2 and especially Mask of the Betrayer
Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines
Gothic 1+2
Risen
The Secret World (MMORPG but such a damn great story + writing)
Fallout New Vegas
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Lords of Xulima

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Divinity Original Sin 2. You could also play the first one, but I found it way clunkier and more frustrating. Didn't end up finishing it.

Pillars of Eternity 2 on Turn Based mode!

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Divinity: Original Sin 2, it is one of the best RPG's of the last 10 years and also the Pillars of Eternity franchise is fantastic as well.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a slightly different style, Might & Magic X, The Bard's Tale IV and Legend of Grimrock 1/2 may also be your jam.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Anything else you can say about what you liked/disliked about specific games? Off hand, I think Shadowrun: Dragonfall falls in a sweet spot for appealing to a wide variety of CRPG fans. Lots of customization, solid combat, strong characters, and a good story in a tight 20 hours.

I adore the Pillars of Eternity games, especially Deadfire. They take pretty direct inspiration from Baldur's Gate but with modern system design, UI, and QOL features. They have the strongest RtwP combat I've come across. And Deadfire is maybe the only CRPG to rival BG2 for itemization.

Nov 4, 2017
+1 for DoS2. The first is also great if you want more, but it is a fair but older so a bit clunky at times. It also has an almost Pratchett-style humour to it, which is nice but detracts from the gravity of what's going on I think.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Pillars games, I dislike both Divinity games, and the former is more like most of the games mentioned by OP.
Why do you dislike Divinity? I've been playing Tyranny from time to time lately and while I certainly enjoy it, it's quite clearly on a tier lower than OS2. Exploration is worse, the lack of full voice acting is a bummer, etc. Idk how Pillars compares to Tyranny, but I was under the impression they were pretty similar. I love the footnote system in the dialogue though.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo the recommendation for Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, and Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong. They're all fantastic, though PoE 2 is the standout of the bunch.

I'm also one of the weirdos that doesn't like the Divinity games, but everyone else seems to like them so I guess you probably would too?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just going to echo the Gothic 1/2 and Risen recommendations since you played ELEX. All 3 are amazing games.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - This is one of the games that simply enchant you with atmosphere and world creation.
Tons of replayability, different endings, variety of play styles (stealth, persuasion, melee, firearms), excellent voice acting, great plot.
Be sure to install the Unofficial Patch which restores some cut content and fixes some game-breaking bugs.

Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition - Another Infinity Era game. A more combat oriented game than BG1/BG2 and I love the old RTwP combat system. Great strategy and questing, and a fun romp through the harsher regions of the Forgotten Realms.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
Nox Archaist, a brand new rpg masterpiece that just came out a few days ago.

You can find it on Steam or Gog.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
unnamed.png

OP
OP
Comrade Grogu

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Parasite Eve and Breath of Fire III. JRPGs, but you said recommend those!
Heard great things about the original Parasite Eve, and bad things about the sequels or spiritual successors; all the same, I'll check the original out and see if I like it!

Also heard of Breath of Fire.

Honestly, it's okay. Give me JRPGs; I'm finishing up SaGa Scarlet Grace Ambitions right now, actually.