• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
With Metal Gear games popping up on GOG and how Silent Hill 4 having been rated, it seems as if GOG has convinced Konami to let it release some of its old PC ports.

If you're unfamiliar with how GOG works, they try to preserve old PC games by patching them to run on modern Windows, getting licensing agreements with the rights holders, and then re-releasing those games without DRM. Being a European PC site this has mostly meant western game publishers, but a handful of breakthroughs with Japanese games have happened.

Capcom released Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Dragon's Dogma on GOG for instance. At some point back in the day I think someone at Capcom USA tried to convince Capcom to let GOG release the old PC port of Mega Man X. Plenty of Nihon Falcom games are up there (more recent ones though). Square Enix's old Eidos games (and some newer ones) are up there.

Didn't SEGA release a lot of its games on PC back in the day? Capcom in particular is peculiar because it was wiling to release a game as recent as Dragon's Dogma on GOG. I would've thought we'd have seen some Resident Evil games up there by now. It'd be great if GOG could take like, the Sourcenext ports of OG RE2 and 3 (which you can still buy physically at their original Japanese websites) and somehow release those with translations.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I'm pushing for Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 with the sequel getting the official dubs from the Playstation versions.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
There can be only one
Mega_Man_DOS_boxart.jpg

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Funny you should bring up Capcom for this because seeing as Konami's only bringing up ports of PC games they already had and getting them running on Windows 10, Capcom's got a PC version of Breath of Fire 4 that doesn't work currently.

So that would be my choice.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capcom isn't Konami. For Konami this is basically free money. Capcom tends to favor remasters and doing things themselves. I don't expect Capcom to release a port these days that they can't release everywhere.

All it really means is Konami's old stuff is on the table.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Suikoden 2 (and I think 1 as well) has a PC version, although it was never translated to English.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
This simply will not happen if they go on GOG. Other than running them in current Windows, it's an "as-is" experience through and through.

Uh, GOG re-releases have had modifications made before - It should be important to note that Metal Gear 1 on GOG is a completely new port that didn't exist before. An "As-Is" experience would have been the 1988 DOS port in a DOSBox wrapper and FUCKM E1111 11111 11111 11111 that's a bullet-dodged.

rdbaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, GOG re-releases have had modifications made before - It should be important to note that Metal Gear 1 on GOG is a completely new port that didn't exist before. An "As-Is" experience would have been the 1988 DOS port in a DOSBox wrapper and FUCKM E1111 11111 11111 11111 that's a bullet-dodged.
I could split hairs with you all night but I know you know that quite a few of GOG's classic games have unmodified content and are even, in fact, DOSBox wrappers.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Not many tbh. From the late 90s and early 00s there's a handful of ports here and there, like Onimusha 3, Chaos Legion (another Capcom Game from PS2), BoFIV and Dino Crisis 1&2. I'm probably forgetting a good bit of those ports, for example I think some Sakura Wars were released on PC, but they're so obscure...

Maybe Sega would be interested into releasing some games from their Sega PC initiative, a lot of Saturn ports from there.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I could split hairs with you all night but I know you know that quite a few of GOG's classic games have unmodified content and are even, in fact, DOSBox wrappers.

I know that. But do you know what 1988 1990 DOS Metal Gear is? I will say this right now that you do not want that experience as-is.

Dec 15, 2017
The Japanese should start porting their massive backcatalog to pc already. Their golden age was at a time when they thought PC's were for work only. There's at least 2 decades of missed games there.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
OG Panzer Dragoon port would be nice. Some of those Saturn-era PC ports like PD and Virtua Fighter Remix would be interesting as they had versions released for Nvidia's first ever card which was designed for quads like the Saturn instead of triangles:

en.wikipedia.org

NV1 - Wikipedia

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see the classic Resident Evil games re-released this way.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
It'd be great if GOG could take like, the Sourcenext ports of OG RE2 and 3 (which you can still buy physically at their original Japanese websites) and somehow release those with translations.
I'm really hoping for this to happen.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
With Metal Gear games popping up on GOG and how Silent Hill 4 having been rated, it seems as if GOG has convinced Konami to let it release some of its old PC ports.

If you're unfamiliar with how GOG works, they try to preserve old PC games by patching them to run on modern Windows, getting licensing agreements with the rights holders, and then re-releasing those games without DRM. Being a European PC site this has mostly meant western game publishers, but a handful of breakthroughs with Japanese games have happened.

Capcom released Street Fighter Alpha 2 and Dragon's Dogma on GOG for instance. At some point back in the day I think someone at Capcom USA tried to convince Capcom to let GOG release the old PC port of Mega Man X. Plenty of Nihon Falcom games are up there (more recent ones though). Square Enix's old Eidos games (and some newer ones) are up there.

Didn't SEGA release a lot of its games on PC back in the day? Capcom in particular is peculiar because it was wiling to release a game as recent as Dragon's Dogma on GOG. I would've thought we'd have seen some Resident Evil games up there by now. It'd be great if GOG could take like, the Sourcenext ports of OG RE2 and 3 (which you can still buy physically at their original Japanese websites) and somehow release those with translations.

Not to mention the mediakite PC version of RE1. These are really important because Sony has locked them away on PS1. I hope they become available.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Hope Capcom give them access to the 2006 Sourcenext ports of RE and the Dino Crisis ports. Also I expect to Konami to give GOG Shadows of Memories/Destiny. Would love to see Sega also re-releasing the House of the Dead PC ports.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't SEGA release their own graphics card and port a bunch of 3d games like VF and Daytona to support it? It would be neat to get all of those.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Onimusha 3 PC port is still out in the wilds of the internet. Capcom should let GOG's retro-wizards do their thing and re-release it, even if they have no interest in doing the series itself after Warlords remaster sold so poorly.

Not really a Japanese game, but now owned Squeeenix: Blood Omen Legacy of Kain. Yes, I know, there's a legal clusterfuck,(PC version was published by Activision; now-bankrupted Silicon Knights had the BO1 IP, while Crystal Dynamics was awarded the LoK IP in a court decision, and these right were later acquired by Eidos and then Squeeenix), but I just want to be able to legally re-buy it.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Capcom isn't Konami. For Konami this is basically free money. Capcom tends to favor remasters and doing things themselves. I don't expect Capcom to release a port these days that they can't release everywhere.

All it really means is Konami's old stuff is on the table.

Given Capcom is all about remaking old RE games (RE2R, RE3R, RE4R), or remastering the GameCube titles (REmake, RE0, RE4), I doubt they have any intention to touch and release old RE titles themselves.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Code Veronica was never released on PC, but RE1-3 (and Survivor, lol) did. RE2 and 3 even had a touched up rerelease in Japan, with higher-res CGI and backgrounds, and that worked well on modern PCs.
I'd buy Survivor in a heartbeat. Still have my ps1 copy.
A shame about CV though. :(
Maybe they can work on the HD version port?

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't SEGA release their own graphics card and port a bunch of 3d games like VF and Daytona to support it? It would be neat to get all of those.

They did port most of their Saturn games minus exceptions like Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga, Burning Rangers and a few more. But Sonic R, Sega Rally, Last Bronx, House of the Dead, all came to PC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest missed opportunities of GOG in general is that the only emulation wrapper they seem to be comfortable with is DOSBOX. If they could actually put together good emulation wrappers for older home computers (MSX, PC-98, Spectrum, Amiga, Archimedes, etc.) and even consoles, it could open up a lotta new doors for them. Imagine of the Metal Gear ports had just been emulated PS1 and PS2 versions. I think SNK has already set that precedent with DotEmu's emulation wrapper releases (which while not great are still DRM-free and contain the original ROMs).
A real as-is solution would've been like, the European MSX version emulated which at least would've been faithful to the original experience. The port on GOG though seems to be based on the PS2 port which makes me wonder why they couldn't also do Metal Gear 2.
Also I expect to Konami to give GOG Shadows of Memories/Destiny.
Oh shit I forgot about that one.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a pretty decent PC version of Silent Hill 2? That would be nice.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
One of the biggest missed opportunities of GOG in general is that the only emulation wrapper they seem to be comfortable with is DOSBOX. If they could actually put together good emulation wrappers for older home computers (MSX, PC-98, Spectrum, Amiga, Archimedes, etc.) and even consoles, it could open up a lotta new doors for them. Imagine of the Metal Gear ports had just been emulated PS1 and PS2 versions. I think SNK has already set that precedent with DotEmu's emulation wrapper releases (which while not great are still DRM-free and contain the original ROMs).
For retro JP PC stuff they could just partner with D4 Enterprise and bring the Project Egg catalog to GOG. Tons of PC88, PC98, MSX, FM7, X68k and other stuff, much of it in english already even. Even some console stuff too (PCE, MD, etc).