• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SheriffMcDuck

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, it's someone's job to keep these things wrapped up, it's also someone's job to report on things.

I personally wish gaming was more like the movie industry and we knew what was planned for the next 5 years, but I understand things change much quicker in gaming.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
There are accidental leaks all the time, those are fine. Intentional leaks can go both ways i think. If you're releasing info that protects the consumer from being screwed or misinformed, I got no problem with it. If you're leaking that people apart of the development team are being mistreated, got zero problem with that either. If you're releasing info for shits and giggles and want clout or fame, then all I can say its whatever happens will happen good or bad.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I would have liked for everyone to collectively lose their shit at the pc e3 show for baldur's gate 3. It could have been another Shenmue 3 moment.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Leak everything.

Has there been a single case where a leak has resulted in material damage to a company or its employees?
Yes . Mortal Kombat 11 leaks cost serious issues at company , multiple QA testers being stressed out some jerk leaked of shit. Supposedly there were investigations at NRS took days for each QA tester to find out.

If you dont know entire MK11 roster leaked at february while roster was 1/3 revealed.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a tough call for me. I respect the work that goes into all the marketing plans for these games, but I feel like most of the time these publishers absolutely do not need to be so GD secretive about what they're working on.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Only ones I don't care for are the ones who use it for personal gain (be it Youtube subscribers, Patreon supporters, charity is fine I guess? Wouldn't recommend it but hey, if it's for a good cause...), but they're pretty rare and are fairly shortsighted if they think they're being told anything else after pulling that kinda stunt. Leaks can and likely will spread like wildfire but that should never be the goal, and there should always be some countermeasures in place to stop momentum.

As long as you're not rude and actually listen to people I think most people involved with games know something they shouldn't at this point. Just don't betray that trust.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Depends on the leak. I don't like leaks that are super close to E3 as they ruin the surprises, but during the year they're perfectly okay with me.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
For movies, I hate them. For video games, I love them because I find it enhances my experience.

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
If I were working on something and some leaker took the wind out of its sails I would definitely be upset, but I'm not and it's really not that big of a deal in the first place. There are so many leaks that come out that end up being fake that as a spectator I really can't tell what's real or fake unless it comes from a reputable source. And of course there are series well-known for their fake leaks like Pokemon or Super Smash Bros., and they're always fun to speculate on. I don't think a leaker has ever ruined any of the games in those series because you don't even have a good sense of what's true or not until the reveal.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
I don't mind them, but I'd prefer the companies to follow the planned marketing schedule.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Admittedly I do like to see big surprises saved for conference reveals just to see the collective oh shit reaction from an actual trailer in a conference thread, though things like finding out the deets on the next Assassin's Creed or any established franchises doesn't bother me so much cause you expect those to keep coming out. Shadow drop stuff I prefer to save for the intended reveal time cause that means I don't have to wait for it :p

The CBOAT thing was quite the fun ride though.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
If you wanna break an NDA, then go for it, but don't whine when people come for you legally.

I also really hate people who decide to play games or be coy that they are insiders. Either spill the info or keep your mouth shut.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If it was my company, I'd be furious. The person would likely be immediately terminated.

As a video game fan? I love watching the spectacle.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Obviously it's a bummer when a title is involved you worked on. On the other hand I like to dig up information on anything I'm not affiliated with.

With some leaks it can be a question of preservation. There's no good reason to not have Agent (Rockstar Games) footage or assets leaked for example. What possible interest can the company have in the IP by now? Due to the industry's secretiveness and many NDAs a lot of that information becomes lost. Some folks have worked for years on those titles and a leak of cancelled titles is IMO always good. Let the ones who worked on this, get the exposure they deserve. Let them show their work in their portfolios etc.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't bother me. The sooner I know about a game and it's release, the better I can plan and see if I want it. I'm not going to feel bad for a company trying to sell me a product, and that their plans to get the most "hype" out of me with marketing research failled.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
Then there is the question about the purpose of a leaker. Does the leaker spread information just to entertain or inform people, or do leakers want "attention"?
That time when people were climbing over each other to leak the X1X first a day before the announcement opened my eyes.

Leaks suck.

I grew to be sympathetic to the people that have their moment announcing something diminished so someone else could get one of their tweets lots of attention for a day.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
Almost every single "leaker" from GAF back in the day turned out to be basically frauds to some extent and every major one get their ass thrown to the curb.

The only "credible" leaker was CBOAT... which was just an account mods used to share actual insider info they were given.

I admit, 6 years ago in 2013 I posted some things regarding nintendo's E3 which I really believed to be true. My perma Han wasn't the end of that drama, I paid for it in other ways I still can't believe happened all over video games.

A few days after I posted the stuff, a user thought it'd be a riot to post my personal info for everyone to see. The only part he botched was where he thought I worked. That scared the hell out of me and it took 4 hours to convince a mod to remove their post. I don't wish this on anyone, not even the biggest sailor mouthed people.

A few weeks after my ban, a carload of detective gaffers decided to pay me a visit at my job, yelling and screaming to an entire store what I did! They had to be removed, it was a big mess.

In August 2013 I was visiting my brother at his house and wouldn't ya know it another car load paid me a visit. Long story short I should be dead right now. Again all over video games.

Later that fall some of these folks messed with my work debit card where my pay went which caused a huge inconvenience. Then they messed with my Netflix account, Netflix looked into it and believed it serious enough to send me forms to fill out if I'd gone to the cops.

Now, in January, I found out from someone credible I trusted who looked into all this that at least seven non US IP addresses were connected to my home network. I have screenshots of this and my mouth dropped. We've taken care of the issue but I want to write something here.

This is a public apology to all, Mods...I truly, sincerely and heartfeltly apologize for my actions 6 years ago and for any upset as well as anger it caused. If some of those IP addresses are ex Gaffers/Era-ites I apologize to you as well. I'm still at home with my parents, my Mom isn't tech savvy. I rarely post on forums anymore because of what I went through. At no point did I threaten anyone. Please, if those folks are reading this...please leave our internet be. I post on forums once in a blue moon, scroll through my Facebook, YouTube, Netflix and PSN/eShop. That's it. My mom plays her games but they don't work well thanks to the shenanigans. Just please cut us a break and leave our internet be. Trust me, I learned my lesson.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like reading about them but would rather they didn't drop so close to big reveals, must be really annoying for the people working on the reveal. Speculation and a tidbit here and there is interesting to read in quiet months but when the mother load is getting dropped next week takes the wind out the sales and would rather they didn't. It might not seem like a big deal to us but it may mean something to the teams or maybe it doesn't, I don't know. Worst is people leaking stuff hours, minutes before the show, no need for that.

MXAGhost

Nov 3, 2017
Sears Tower | Earth 616
It's an interesting duality. People worked on that content and to just leak it takes away that agency of the people to release it. On the other hand, the public wants information and that is why you have sites that report on it.

To me it seems the people who leak want to have power in some way. The Pokémon leak that is gaining traction on 4chan; the user states they are "angry". Why? I can only assume that they are mad at their employer who has access to the game. To have power over something/someone.

As Andy Warhol said, " In the future everybody will be world famous for fifteen minutes."

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Leaks can be fun for consumers (even I like knowing things early if I can), but I feel bad for the developers who wanted to reveal their projects on their own terms.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If your reveal is where the majority of value is coming from (IE being surprised) then I dont think youve made a product worth getting upset over in the first place.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
I admit, 6 years ago in 2013 I posted some things regarding nintendo's E3 which I really believed to be true. My perma Han wasn't the end of that drama, I paid for it in other ways I still can't believe happened all over video games.

A few days after I posted the stuff, a user thought it'd be a riot to post my personal info for everyone to see. The only part he botched was where he thought I worked. That scared the hell out of me and it took 4 hours to convince a mod to remove their post. I don't wish this on anyone, not even the biggest sailor mouthed people.

A few weeks after my ban, a carload of detective gaffers decided to pay me a visit at my job, yelling and screaming to an entire store what I did! They had to be removed, it was a big mess.

In August 2013 I was visiting my brother at his house and wouldn't ya know it another car load paid me a visit. Long story short I should be dead right now. Again all over video games.

Later that fall some of these folks messed with my work debit card where my pay went which caused a huge inconvenience. Then they messed with my Netflix account, Netflix looked into it and believed it serious enough to send me forms to fill out if I'd gone to the cops.

Now, in January, I found out from someone credible I trusted who looked into all this that at least seven non US IP addresses were connected to my home network. I have screenshots of this and my mouth dropped. We've taken care of the issue but I want to write something here.

This is a public apology to all, Mods...I truly, sincerely and heartfeltly apologize for my actions 6 years ago and for any upset as well as anger it caused. If some of those IP addresses are ex Gaffers/Era-ites I apologize to you as well. I'm still at home with my parents, my Mom isn't tech savvy. I rarely post on forums anymore because of what I went through. At no point did I threaten anyone. Please, if those folks are reading this...please leave our internet be. I post on forums once in a blue moon, scroll through my Facebook, YouTube, Netflix and PSN/eShop. That's it. My mom plays her games but they don't work well thanks to the shenanigans. Just please cut us a break and leave our internet be. Trust me, I learned my lesson.
What in the fuck. What the hell did you say to cause such a reaction??

Sorry you are dealing with all that, it's insane.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It's video games not sensitive security secrets, I'm fine with leaks. In an ideal world no one would ever feel the need to be all hush hush in the first place. It especially bothers me that people are needing thier hype levels to be carefully managed by a company.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I get more excited when things leak than when they come as intended most of the times. I like when things leak, and then something else actually comes as a surprise, so you get the best of both worlds.

I think journalists should leak what they know, provided the source is safe - their role is to provide information, not to follow the marketing strategy of a company, and I actually think leaking actually has a beneficial effect on the games, if what is leaked is good news.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I used to be all for them but these days I think they're a net negative. Enthusiasm is dampened, people jump to false conclusions, nasty stuff is thrown at both the leakers and the people who do/don't believe them... I also find the smug attitude of a few leakers kinda infuriating, it's rare but when it happens I just roll my eyes.

The only leaks I really enjoy these days are the Direct date/time ones (those threads are a riot)

Also I'm fine with "leaks" pertaining to things like employee rights, horrible behavior from bosses, etc.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
Leak away. Disrupt marketing campaigns as much as possible (which are often deceitful and manipulative).

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
What in the fuck. What the hell did you say to cause such a reaction??

Sorry you are dealing with all that, it's insane.

Sparks Well in my original post I said that Retro's game was StarTropics, said how I thought the Smash 4 trailer would be revealed, and some minor detail about Mario Kart 8. I guess these folks that acted up took this all way too personally and as you can see took it into their own hands. I wish now I hadn't said anything at all. I'm just hoping now that I made a public apology maybe the people that have been trying to connect to my home network will stop. I meant absolutely no harm. My own mother doesn't know any of what happened still, if I can't get these internet issues straightened out totally I may have to tell her. We had to have a new IP address assigned to us which is incredibly difficult to get granted. That's how credible everything was. Mom just plays her bingo games, she's got nothing to do with any of it. If they don't cut me a break for my sake then I'm asking for hers.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

what the fuck

and 4 hours to a mod remove the post with personal info?

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
I have nothing against "leaks" from random people, because they're basically glorified rumors until proven. For the life of me I can't understand actual journalists leaking official announcements for the sake of it, though. There's no pressing need for it, and given that I enjoy keeping up with news, there's no real way to avoid hearing about them until their intended reveals once they're out there. It absolutely takes the wind out of sails for me, and there are many games and announcements I've ended up ignoring that I would have otherwise been on board for, if only for it being impossible to measure up to speculation instead of being introduced to the concept on its own terms. Thanks for nothing.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy learning about things early and knowing about secrets as much as anyone else, but I'm not down with leakers.

Oct 25, 2017
The people who leak stuff don't deserve to work in their industry, straight up. But that said, I'll gladly read leaks about stuff I can't wait for lol.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'm conflicted. On one hand, I'm cool with leaks as long as they don't spoil/ruin the game. I don't give a fuck what the chimps in marketing have planned for their campaign.

On the other hand, one of my biggest pet peeves is studios announcing their upcoming stuff waaaay too early. So if it's something I actually want and give a shit about, it sets me up for an unnecessarily painful wait, and the finished product ends up being different from what was originally revealed. An early leak could exacerbate that.

So, in a perfect world, I think think studios should only unveil their shit when it's close to being done, like 6 to 9 months before retail launch. Nobody needs more time than that for a hype campaign, I don't give a fuck who they are. And if stuff gets leaked a couple months earlier than that, fine with me.

Deleted member 6233

Oct 25, 2017
what the fuck

and 4 hours to a mod remove the post with personal info?

Rosebud it was ridiculous! I even told the mod I had to spend that long convincing that if it had been anything other than personal info I would have just let it slide. The guy that posted my personal info posted my first and last name, location and where he thought I worked. That's a real safety issue and probably what caused everything that happened after. That guy got a 6 month ban fir what he did but given all I went through I felt it wasn't anywhere near enough. I never in my wildest imagination coulda predicted everything that happened after my ban. When that carload paid me the visit at work I tried to talk to them and ask them why they were going that far over video games. Their answer was they were tired of people trying to be insiders and an example needed to be made to discourage it. Said I was going to be the example and they'd let it go when they were good and ready. Said that could be years maybe even decades. It's like it's been 6 years now, let bygones be bygones and let it go. I only post in threads for announced games, just released games or things I know enough about to contribute.

I will say the recent thread I made here about a few old TV stations was very pleasant and enjoyable. It was a pleasure to interact with all of those folks that posted in the thread, I wish all my forum experiences were like that.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Don't like leaks and prefer the devs get a chance to show off what they've been working on, on there terms.

Leakers themselves, well hope they enjoy their milliseconds of internet fame... whatever that is worth.
People should keep quiet and let the Publisher and Developers make the announcements.
It's honestly one of the worst feelings and can feel super selfish when someone steals the moment your company has worked for and gets the lime-light for it.
Pretty much this.
That time when people were climbing over each other to leak the X1X first a day before the announcement opened my eyes.

Leaks suck.

I grew to be sympathetic to the people that have their moment announcing something diminished so someone else could get one of their tweets lots of attention for a day.
It's the same with the current FromSoft rumours. People are scrambling to get the hottest scoop and to "confirm" that they're "in the know".
Insiders can be cool and fan the flames of hype. If you don't like that shit, fair enough, but it's not doing you or anybody any harm.
But leakers harm a great deal many people, whether the info is legit or not. People should just get a grip and do something productive rather than vie for attention.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I like reading about leaks and would never be the kind of person who tries to "avoid spoilers" for E3 for example (just, lol).

However I have had a couple opportunities to leak information and the idea of actually doing it has never crossed my mind for a second. It's a really shitty thing to do in my opinion. I'd rather we didn't have them unless they are related to staff working conditions or situations where the corporation is silencing their staff on issues they want to talk about - I'm all for that sort of stuff. But ruining the reveal for games guys have worked really hard on must suck so much for them. I can't imagine/understand why people would want to share this information half baked.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yes . Mortal Kombat 11 leaks cost serious issues at company , multiple QA testers being stressed out some jerk leaked of shit. Supposedly there were investigations at NRS took days for each QA tester to find out.

If you dont know entire MK11 roster leaked at february while roster was 1/3 revealed.

That really doesn't count as material damage. Especially as it was self-inflicted by the company instead of caused by the previously confidential information becoming public

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hate them for the most part. A surprise is one of the greatest pleasures in life and leakers aim to destroy that just for a little attention. They're all incredibly selfish people in that regard.