• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I have the feeling there has always been a double behavior about leaks and leakers. Leaks often interest people who are interested in the products, but at the same time, people say they hurt companies. But then leak happens because people give them attention.

Then there is the question about the purpose of a leaker. Does the leaker spread information just to entertain or inform people, or do leakers want "attention"?

I feel there is often a paradox in that leakers are at the same time criticized, respected, and that in the end no matter what people think they will still read the leaks.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
My answer is directly proportional to me having to deal with NDAs in real life, and i don't, so i don't really have an opinion.

It's fun to see beyond the veil i guess.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
snitches get stitches
and
NDA's suck
and
I love Leaks as a consumer
giphy.gif

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Personally or professionally?

Professionally I think there's no room for it.

Personally? I'm cool for waiting to be surprised when they have a trailer or media blitz coming at the same time as the announcement. Leaking a name or a game before it drops kind of takes the wind out of the sail a bit. At the end of the day it doesn't change the actual game for me.

Jan 29, 2018
It's not a big deal.

I love a good spectacle and a fun announcement, but there are no spoilers for commercials.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Having worked in the industry and now close to it, it just feels like someone trying to spoil your best friend's birthday party.

Also fans often think they're somehow owed something, too...

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a big deal at all heck for things like rosters in fighting games I think it's a good thing.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Leak everything.

Has there been a single case where a leak has resulted in material damage to a company or its employees?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
In concept I'm pretty ambivalent, but it's pretty annoying running into leak rumors and speculation in unrelated threads and video recommendations and stuff.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I am very grateful for leaks that help me be a more savvy consumer, like learning of the existence of mid-gen home consoles this generation before they were officially announced.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Love them. Especially so when companies are trying to be super obscure with teasers. Its not that serious. Just show me.

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018
I dunno how I feel about it. People should be aware that when someone leaks something it does often annoy/bring down morale for people at the studio though. People spend years and years working on something, and to have some yahoo come along and leak something for shits and giggles is a bit annoying.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Leaks have also become a communication strategy to maintain some public attention between officials events. "Real" leaks aren't that common I think.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Almost every single "leaker" from GAF back in the day turned out to be basically frauds to some extent and every major one get their ass thrown to the curb.

The only "credible" leaker was CBOAT... which was just an account mods used to share actual insider info they were given.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
I like leaks that are coded and riddle-like, rather than just a full-blown leak with screenshots etc.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Part of me enjoys it, because I'm always thirsty for new game info. But also on the other hand... I don't want it. I love that big, entirely unexpected surprise at a conference or event. Like when MS' E3 conference was leaked in its entirety that one year, watching it felt a bit dull because while I was interested in the content, I already knew everything 'under the Christmas tree' so to speak.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
some NDAs are pretty much customary, some are there for very good reason. hard to place a moral compass on good or bad especially in enthusiast circles where an employee at valve could sneeze three times and omg that means HL3... or whatever

it is what it is

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I have no opinion of the leaker. They may as well not exist.

The leak itself is either interesting or it isn't.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Major reveals are timed with a great deal of care and planning to make sure the news reaches different territories, languages and time zones effectively and it all has to be approved by all the vested parties along the way and there's all these various amends, so it's understandablely frustrating when a leak happens.

Looking from just one country's perspective it might just seem like someone uploading a trailer and hitting publish, but there are so many moving parts involved it's crazy.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Like with most things, I kinda just take each leak on a case-by-base basis, assessing the spoiled material on various criteria (e.g. personal investment in the game, how the information was leaked, etc.) before making a judgment on the situation. I suppose I'm a bit of a hypocrite, in that sometimes I'd just really like to know what's going on backstage, while others (most recently the rumored Smash Ultimate leak) I'd prefer keeping things a surprise. Obviously there's no hard line rule to be gleaned from this, so I just take them as they come...

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
They're terrible. In fact, I think all information should just be leaked directly to me for safe keeping.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Depends a ton of the leak. Project Beast hype was something else.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
It seems kind of scummy to sign an NDA and then leak the information you agreed not to share. If I were part of a marketing team, I'd be pretty pissed if someone ruined the work I spent weeks planning. Obviously, it's a different story when it comes to whistleblowing.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I love reading leaks and generally vastly prefer them to the constant teasing that a lot of companies do.

If you can release a trailer for a trailer, you can just reveal the damn game.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
As usual I don't like having big reveals leaked ahead of time, but then I actively look for leaks, so..

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Don't care too much, if I'm going to watch a press conference or whatever and don't want to get spoiled I just avoid gaming sites for a few days leading up to it, but I haven't done that for a couple years now, as I usually just watch the trailers after the fact anyway.
Leaks hours before I'd be perfectly fine without though, at that point I might as well just get the announcement with all the bells and whistles.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I think insiders hinting at things without substance should outright be banned. Either commit or don't.
"Guys watch the conference, a surprise you will never expect will hit you flat in the face"
Conference finishes
"I never said it was a big deal"

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like leaks and prefer the devs get a chance to show off what they've been working on, on there terms.

Leakers themselves, well hope they enjoy their milliseconds of internet fame... whatever that is worth.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
They hurt companies in that companies spend a lot of money on announcements and choose certain announcement dates that are likely to get the most attention. Plus a lot of leakers tend to be liars or the leaks themselves red herrings (Rocksteadys superman anyone?).

But otherwise a leak is harmless to us, the consumers. And ultimately money lost on expensive E3 reveals is irrelevant to me as a player I suppose.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
It's honestly one of the worst feelings and can feel super selfish when someone steals the moment your company has worked for and gets the lime-light for it.

But I get it, it's nice to see things early, especially when a company is cagey for so long. Buttttt, still sucks.

Leak away

Anything that fucks over corporations is fine by me.

The CEO's don't really care. Its everyone that worked really hard on something and excited to show it off that get most affected, but if thinking that allows you to enjoy those things than that's your right.