• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
s-l300.jpg

Legit love this game, one of my earliest ps2 purchases.

my vote goes to this game:

Folklore_%28videogame%29_boxart.jpg

first game I ever bought dlc for and the oldest ps3 game i still own. Such an interesting premise to it, and one of my favorite designs for a woman character.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
ShadowHearts.jpg

I really love the entire vibe/atmosphere of this game. A turn based gothic JRPG based in early 1900s Asia/Europe, The sequels are much more critically acclaimed but i like this one best.

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I have 3 from my childhood. I think people knew of them but I don't think they are really talked about as much anymore.

Battle Chess
It was just a really cool spin on a chess game. Seeing the pieces beat each other up was just fun. And it was funny at times with their character introductions.
bccdrom-2.png

Syndicate
Bullfrog was probably the first developer I cared about. Played it forever.

Syndicate.jpg

Sim-Ant
I had a phase in the mid-90's where I was really into all the Maxis Sim games like Sim City 2000.

dcb6eef196c2a7e12551251cc35f0128.png

RadicalR

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if we're talking obscure favorites, Die Bahnwelt for the X68000.

Loved it so much, I did a translation of it and released a patch.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
The Combatribes

MUwYUPXtfSO2fRnQN9mRT8Ope5oFgE7flpCX-ovJva2wCRVdg7vgy0Mfg8fRcqIusO4kSZU-6OqunDwA7SDIJFFm3Og2SezjH8qAYP81lRqq0R6-5pjRqmtMRl8-fngsLmodLAtlD-bZyN8pBQm3tNm4iXmq_Mng9vb3jSY

Still one of my favorite beat-em-ups.

And still without a proper arcade-to-home port outside of MAME. (The SNES version wasn't nearly as good)

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Mr. Handsome Frog! Awesome game for a dollar on Steam.

Mutant Chicken Races was a lot of dumb fun quite a few years back. Don't think you can play that one anywhere now.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
Battle Clash/Metal Combat are some of the best light gun games I've ever played.

Elevator Action Returns is a severely underrated arcade action platformer.

Ghost Trick has my favorite story in a puzzle/adventure game.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
Rabbids Go Home! It was essentially western Katamari Damacy and I loved every chaotic second of it.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Galleon. I WISH it were included in the Xbox BC games. It looks like a Dreamcast game it can't have been too difficult to achieve.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
My answer is always Downhill Domination.

I'm not really a fan of mountain biking, or biking in general, but there was just something about careening down the side of huge mountains at incredible speeds, barely in control, that did it for me.

The sense of scale and the course size was really impressive at the time, too, and unlockable War of the Monsters characters cemented my love.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday on Sega MegaDrive.

A 16 bit RPG that was hard as nails with no handholding whatsover. You solve a mystery in the solar system while fighting DnD style with your team against RAM. Awesome music and narrative that sets a real unique tone. Bar fights, boarding enemy ships in battle, fighting against time as a you try to escape a derelict ship infected with a death parasite. It's all here and amazing.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy.

Great control scheme that set each of the main abilities mapped to a specific button. Once you gained all your powers, it was such a blast to grab enemies and hurl them around or fly through the air using telekinesis.

Oct 27, 2017
that last boss in World Scariest Chases was actually based on a actual incident in san diego where a former national guards was either high as balls or drunk as fuck, hijacked an old m60 patton and ran rough shod all over some san diego highway in the 90's they stopped the tank when the guy died of a self inflicted gunshot irl in the game you were a police dude with a bazooka trying to stop the tank

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
s-l300.jpg

sk3.png

The first (as far as I'm aware) and some would say only good - survival game

Stranded on a deserted island, you need to survive and escape before 100 days pass or you go insane
It had heaps of different endings and a really well balanced survival system, as well as an interesting story that
honestly I was never able to finish.

But I love this game. Its also SUPER expensive now. Boxed copies sell for like 500 USD lol

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
Legit love this game, one of my earliest ps2 purchases.

my vote goes to this game:

Folklore_%28videogame%29_boxart.jpg

first game I ever bought dlc for and the oldest ps3 game i still own. Such an interesting premise to it, and one of my favorite designs for a woman character.

I just beat this last week. Had it forever and threw it in to play a month or so ago and about halfway through my 3 year old got the disk out and broke it some how. I had to ebay another copy to finish it. Loved the twist at the end and a sequel would be a dream but it will never happen. I wish I could still get the DLC somehow. The creature design was amazing and I liked the Warcadia level and its folks best; reminded me of the end of the Labyrinth.

Tight Shoe

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
220px-Incredible_Crisis_Coverart.png

Incredible Crisis (PS1)

E.V.O._-_Search_for_Eden_Coverart.png

E.V.O. (SNES)

and I wouldn't call it an obscure game, but I looooooved the single player / story mode in Mortal Kombat Deception. it fleshed out the Mortal Kombat realms in a way that it felt like such a great video game world to run around in. Shaolin Monks, too.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Wild Arms 5 - I absolutely loved this game. I remember going into Gamestop one day looking for a new game I found this Preowned. I bought it on a whim but it was a great decision. I think the issue was it came at the end of the PS2s life and people had moved on. I always felt like this JRPG got left in the dust. Loved the characters, battle system, dungeons with puzzles. Story was basic, nothing special,.

maxresdefault.jpg

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (PS3) - the spiritual successor to the Another Century's Episode series, developed by FROM in between Dark Souls 1 and 2. It's a legit awesome game.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Desktop Dungeons is a game I never see mentioned, even among indie circles. I love it to bits; it's so unique in its gameplay loop: a mix of roguelike and puzzle game, where each dungeon is only one screen, and unexplored tiles are a resource you need to manage, because exploring them is the one consistent way to heal but it also heal monsters.

ICoYDBjHnEVbuhzfuNSVWRwrX49gEKv6Zgzd0AafeMon2bMpSOccYrUTaHhg9siesL1rYzI7OarY-SlSGPeUzGcsEiLqePZdDf5es-0GXKZvPsBKYefMqWHppd5Liw

ss_240ab43424fc0d56ab335fce66a1288a68e41313.1920x1080.jpg

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2 are incredible games. I'm with you OP - these are definitely my favorite obscure games. Even though GOG put them up, I would kill to have it (and Tyrian, OMF and other games) on Steam!

Jazz2online is still being updated to this day! :D

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Does Romance of The Three Kingdoms X for the PS2 qualify?

It was amazing not knowing anything about the game, getting to build the story of a relatively competent but not specifically great official, become a king, die, have his son take over, all the while debating, dueling, hiding in bushes, setting fire to grass... I loved it

So many systems, a lot of cool stuff to do.

romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-x-dbed1593-e5b2-4b99-a6e6-97d0697f35a-resize-750.jpeg

519838-romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-x-playstation-2-screenshot-travel.jpg

519834-romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-x-playstation-2-screenshot-visiting.jpg

519839-romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-x-playstation-2-screenshot-duel.jpg

519837-romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-x-playstation-2-screenshot-socializing.jpg
519840-romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-x-playstation-2-screenshot-debate.jpg

Last edited:

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
A thread to post Drakan? A thread to post Drakan
artworks-000226742178-2az4z8-t500x500.jpg

Also, The Void from the developers of Pathologic
An rts, management, action adventure about bringing colour back to a desiccated purgatory
The_Void_%28video_game%29.jpg

Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
.. it always pains me that people forgot about this game and nothing is done with the series since the release of this game in 2013, which for me personally is almost a perfect western FPS
High five for all three of these.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I dont know if these games are obscure or not, but I basically never see them discussed.
xbox_conflict_desert_storm_2-110214.jpg
xbox_conflict_vietnam-110214.jpg

Spending late nights playing with my dad and older brother are some of my fondest gaming memories.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
516Lte1tZ5L._AC_SY445_.jpg

This is still one of my favorite games ever, and it might be my favorite and most played/watched based on playtime and views of replays. The story was really good, the graphics were really good for the time, and even now hold up really well, and the game is a whole lot of fun both in MP and SP. The expansion, Kane's Wrath managed to up the ante and while it focused on only one faction it also told a really good story and the subfactions it introduced made the multiplayer that much more interesting.

It's just a pity that despite EA's promises of better support and wanting to dive into esports, they wound up abandoning both games so quickly. It's a pity too that C&C4 wound up being such a massive disappointment.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
ShadowHearts.jpg

I really love the entire vibe/atmosphere of this game. A turn based gothic JRPG based in early 1900s Asia/Europe, The sequels are much more critically acclaimed but i like this one best.

Beat me to it! I think I still prefer Covenant for its story and gameplay improvements, but SH1 has it beat in atmosphere and fucked-up monster design; love it.

51S25MF8PRL.jpg

My sister and I used to play this one all the time growing up. It's an FMV point-and-click adventure with impressive environment and character designs for coming out in 1996. It did a great job capturing that Goosebumps mix of cheese and horror we 90's kids devoured--special shoutout to the first area, Werewolf Village, which has this great "eerily empty town" atmosphere building up to the moment a werewolf bursts through a butcher shop window and forces you into a chase sequence:

The acting was even passable, they somehow managed to get Jeff Goldblum to portray Dracula (Steven Spielberg helped develop the game, so I guess Goldblum owed him a favor):

QYpiUHSZUCx7PpaH6G6Fkc-1200-80.jpg

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
A few old ones:

Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
Frankensteins+Monster.jpg

95fb7007cfcc5c52947b5a581401953059f45256.gif

The Trap Door (Commodore 64)
184349-the-trap-door-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Trapdoor_Animation.gif

Everyone's A Wally (Commodore 64)
110298-everyone-s-a-wally-the-life-of-wally-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

SeveralChiefEastsiberianlaika-small.gif

Urðr

Aug 13, 2020
shadow_of_the_damned-1723765.jpg

Shadows of the Damned. It's one of my all time favorite games, and I honestly don't know why. The combat is Alan Wake but on drugs, and the OST by Akira Yamaoka is one of the best I've ever heard. The story is, well, a Suda51 road trip. Shinji Mikami is also involved, and that's why the main character and the gameplay look so similar to The Evil Within, I guess.