• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
Installed my 2TB 980 Pro today (nabbed it during that Newegg black Friday sale) using the cheapo "ELUTENG M.2 2280" heatsink. The thermal adhesive "tape" not being super sticky was both a blessing and a curse because it kept nudging out of place initially, but I got there eventually.

Slotted in the PS5 with no issue and while I don't remember the read time after initialization, it was somewhere in the 5700s.

Really happy to have that thing in there with effectively 2.6TB of PS5 space now, and a fast 1TB SSD for external PS4 storage. That's more than enough.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Amazon AU had a great deal on the 2TB Aorus so I picked that up during the back Friday deals. 100% worth it. I've never seen a M2 SSD in the flesh so was quite surprised how tiny it was. Eager to watch the Boxing Day deals to grab another for my 2nd PS5.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I got the 2TB Sabrent Rocket Plus and it's been great. Could be placebo, but I do notice pop-in for objects for Returnal and Call of Duty at times, not sure if it's because of it being installed on it instead of the internal.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
Got the 2TB Addlink A95 and so far everything seems good. I have to try a few games to run off of it. For now I just moved a bunch of my PS5 games onto it with 2 pS4 games on there just because I play them all the time tho.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't t realize we are allowed to do this now!
Does any NVMe work? Is there a size limit? I'm getting tired of deleting games lol.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't t realize we are allowed to do this now!
Does any NVMe work? Is there a size limit? I'm getting tired of deleting games lol.
Any M.2 PCIe 4.0x4 NVMe SSD is supported... However it's not recommended to use one that has read speeds below 5500MB/s even though they'd work. The maximum supported capacity at the moment is 4TB.
You also will need a heatsink for the drive so it works optimally.

Recommended drives include the WD Black SN850, the Samsung 980 Pro, the Seagate FireCuda 530, Crucial P5 Plus, Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Installed the 2TB SN850 last night with the Sabrent heat sink that replaces the existing SSD bay cover. Installation was very easy. Popping the side panels off was the most annoying part, and while they were off I replaced the white ones with some nice black ones I ordered from Amazon at the same time I ordered the other stuff. Now my PS5 has an extra 2TB storage and looks a lot less ugly.

I started moving things off my two external drives to the new M.2 and ran into a problem immediately with a 50+ GB Destiny install on the first drive. It would sit there and move the file for a while and when it got to the very end it would say "There was a problem" (or similar) and it would fail. Destiny was still on the external and not on the M.2. The bigger problem was that now 25ish GB of my M.2 was taken up with "Games and Apps" but nothing was actually installed on it. The space was just being wasted. I reformatted the M.2 and tried again. Same result. I was getting worried so I switched to the other external, formatted the M.2 again, and copied a bunch of games off of that. Worked perfectly. Then I switched back to the first and copied everything BUT Destiny. No problems. So I'm guessing there was something corrupt about the Destiny install on that one drive. I just deleted it and redownloaded everything directly. All is well now.

Rayder

Jun 15, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
I won't be happy with anything less than 4TB. As for which one, that's undecided......whichever one comes with the biggest jar of Vaseline I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Installed the WD sn850 1TB and it has worked like a dream. Hopefully whenever they make a slim model I can just take it out and put it there too

jj70

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a 2tb firecuda 530 with heatsink. The spacer and screw already placed in the PS5 was ruined and was not able to remove them so bought also a M3-0,5 x10mm and use it to fix the M2. ssd. I do not know why Sony decided to make such orrible job with that element in a €499,00 console... I'm speechless. Installation is easy not conisidering the time lost trying to remove that screw... No problem when adding the SEAGATE EXPANSION 1TB for XBOX (is a card, practically)... I'm sorry Playstation experience for the players had to be such tricky...

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
Bought a 2tb firecuda 530 with heatsink. The spacer and screw already placed in the PS5 was ruined and was not able to remove them so bought also a M3-0,5 x10mm and use it to fix the M2. ssd. I do not know why Sony decided to make such orrible job with that element in a €499,00 console... I'm speechless. Installation is easy not conisidering the time lost trying to remove that screw... No problem when adding the SEAGATE EXPANSION 1TB for XBOX (is a card, practically)... I'm sorry Playstation experience for the players had to be such tricky...
It's one the easiest to do.

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
Just ordered a 1TB Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus with the PS5 Heatsink since I just noticed I have only 80gb left in the PS5 storage lol.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I just looked at a face off video for PS5 heat sinks, this guy is a treasure:

www.youtube.com

PS5 Heatsink FaceOff - Sabrent PS5 vs Elecgear vs Eluteng vs INEO PS5 Copper Heatpipe Comparison

UPDATED - Recommended PS5 Compatibile SSDs & Heatsinks - https://nascompares.com/2021/08/03/recommended-ps5-compatibile-ssds-heatsinks-updated/FULL List Of P...

I want one of the heatsinks that replaces the cover. Means you can get a SSD with no heatsink which will save even more money.

I have the Sabrent one that replaces the cover, but I used the one that came with the S70 Blade. I want that big ass one that looks like a shark fin, lol.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Just a heads up for people that have the 980 pro 1tb or 2tb model. Samsung released a new FW update that fixes the bug that it caps off at 5700mbps. Just updated my drive in my pc and voila, i now get 6500 across the board (tried it 3 times and all 3 was around 6500)

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
And the NAS Compares guy that does all the tests, it was spot on for the Gigabyte Aorus and S70 Blade.

I just put the 2TB S70 Blade in my PS5, but the 1TB Aorus was faster:

Aorus was 6523.
S70 Blade is 6100 or 6200. 6191 to be exact, lol.

Legend J 858

Oct 25, 2018
For people like myself who do not have a gaming pc or a desktop pc there is this option to update the firmware on a m.2 ssd stick:

61MvrZ7kdmL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It's $21.75 on Amazon:

This works on laptop pc's or Macbooks

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little terrified of doing any surgery on my ps5 as is, never mind talk about installing separate heatsinks, using thermal paste, etc.
For an ultra layman like me, if I buy an 850 or one of others that has a heat sink included, does that mean I can essentially plug and play using the instructions on Sony's site?: https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

I really don't wanna fuck around too much with any manual extra steps, b/c I know somehow I'll screw it up.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a little terrified of doing any surgery on my ps5 as is, never mind talk about installing separate heatsinks, using thermal paste, etc.
For an ultra layman like me, if I buy an 850 or one of others that has a heat sink included, does that mean I can essentially plug and play using the instructions on Sony's site?: https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

I really don't wanna fuck around too much with any manual extra steps, b/c I know somehow I'll screw it up.
As long as it can fit with the m.2 cover on, you'll be fine. Ones that come with heat sinks, have to make sure the m.2 cover will still fit.

Those instructions from PlayStation are fine, for some reason some ppl on YouTube forget about the spacer and do that part wrong.

IMO, the hardest part will be getting the PS5 face plates off.

Last edited:

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, the only difficult part about the PS5 SSD install is taking off the PS5's big white plastic cover plate! The actual "technical" bit was incredibly easy, even for a clumsy noob like me.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Installed the 2TB SN850 last night with the Sabrent heat sink that replaces the existing SSD bay cover.
I would be very nervous using that thing even if it's "purpose built for PS5" and all that marketing BS. One sided heatsinks tend to push on SSD from one side without any support on the other side. It's the same exact problem with one sided heatsinks on PC motherboards, but at least on PC motherboards there are rubber standoffs underneath SSD to prevent excessive bending, there are no such things in PS5. I'm attaching the image of the problem and I am 100% positive that SSD is bending like crazy underneath that Sabrent heatsink (because you need decent pressure for thermal pads to be effective).

L53OCGs.jpg

Last edited:

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
So what is the best SSD to pick up assuming I don't want to/plan to update the firmware? I only have Macs in my house and even if there do seem to be some external housings you might be able to use to do this, I really just want to "plug and play". It seemed like the 960 Pro and SN850 each want firmware updates to do their best (although maybe they will have them loaded by now). Is one of the other options better? I'm very interested in the S70 Blade considering how much cheaper it is for 2 TB, but not sure how the speed/longevity concerns are. Any details to help straighten things out would be helpful!

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Just bought a 2TB Adata PGX Gammix S70 Blade SSD with the latest deal. I think I'll wait on replacing the heat sink with a Sabrent since people report the default one works fine for now.

…But let me know if that's a bad idea. Last thing I want is a failed part or a fire hazard.

Ulcus

Nov 3, 2017
I see a lot of place saying the PS5 needs a heatsink, is there an official word from Sony? They are not pricey compare to the drive but I'm just curious if they really do a difference in a console.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
I see a lot of place saying the PS5 needs a heatsink, is there an official word from Sony? They are not pricey compare to the drive but I'm just curious if they really do a difference in a console.
In this official guide, if you check the installation steps section, you'll find the relevant comment (a heat dissipation mechanism is required such as heatsink or heat transfer sheet)
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Just bought a 2TB Adata PGX Gammix S70 Blade SSD with the latest deal. I think I'll wait on replacing the heat sink with a Sabrent since people report the default one works fine for now.

…But let me know if that's a bad idea. Last thing I want is a failed part or a fire hazard.
There is no need to replace. S70 Blade is good enough.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered the heat sink cover replacement that looks like a shark fin:

ElecGear PS5 NVMe SSD Heatsink, EL-P5C

It wont get here until March, and its already sold out.

I think I'm done for now. Will be testing out this and the Sabrent heat sink cover replacement. If they wind up being good.....thats a decent chunk of money saved.

I would be very nervous using that thing even if it's "purpose built for PS5" and all that marketing BS. One sided heatsinks tend to push on SSD from one side without any support on the other side. It's the same exact problem with one sided heatsinks on PC motherboards, but at least on PC motherboards there are rubber standoffs underneath SSD to prevent excessive bending, there are no such things in PS5. I'm attaching the image of the problem and I am 100% positive that SSD is bending like crazy underneath that Sabrent heatsink (because you need decent pressure for thermal pads to be effective).

L53OCGs.jpg
The m.2 slot in the PS5 is recessed tho. I would be more worried about the Sabrent cover or similar covers actually making contact vs bending the m.2 drive. But I agree with your post. That doesnt look good.

Last edited:

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
Just a heads up for people that have the 980 pro 1tb or 2tb model. Samsung released a new FW update that fixes the bug that it caps off at 5700mbps. Just updated my drive in my pc and voila, i now get 6500 across the board (tried it 3 times and all 3 was around 6500)

Is there an easier way to update firmware on a PC with a single nvme slot other than having to install an OS on it really quick?

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017

Ah geez. I glossed over/scrolled by and my eyes didn't catch that above. Thank you

I see the above poster said it works but this in the product description makes me wonder "Because your computer won't recognize the brand of SSD through this NVMe adapter, you can't use Samsung Disk Cloning software for Samsung SSD". I would think that type of comm would be necessary for a firmware update.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
I purchased and installed the 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4 plus and despite the fact that it runs great the benchmarks when I first installed are all over the place. I tried the first time and it was 4800 MBps and then I reformatted and it was 5800 MBps despite being rated for 7000 MBps. Does anyone know what the deal is? Is my drive defective? Should I return it?

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I've just realized that my heatsink came with two thermal pads. One is noticeably thicker than the other. I'd say one is 0.5mm, and one is 1mm thick. I suspect one is supposed to be placed at the bottom of the heatsink tray, and one should go on the drive so that the larger heatsink part can be placed on top. But which pad should go where? Should I put a thicker one at the bottom of the tray, and a thinner one between the drive and the heatsink block?

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I purchased and installed the 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4 plus and despite the fact that it runs great the benchmarks when I first installed are all over the place. I tried the first time and it was 4800 MBps and then I reformatted and it was 5800 MBps despite being rated for 7000 MBps. Does anyone know what the deal is? Is my drive defective? Should I return it?

Having the same issue. I hit as low as 3400MBps but got 4100MBps. Shrugged it off. But looking videos online i see people transferring files in seconds but took me few minutes.

BarcaTheGreat

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've just realized that my heatsink came with two thermal pads. One is noticeably thicker than the other. I'd say one is 0.5mm, and one is 1mm thick. I suspect one is supposed to be placed at the bottom of the heatsink tray, and one should go on the drive so that the larger heatsink part can be placed on top. But which pad should go where? Should I put a thicker one at the bottom of the tray, and a thinner one between the drive and the heatsink block?
For mine, I suspect the same for you, instruction was thinner one at bottom so touching the bottom of the heatsink part (the metal enclosure) and thicker one top so touching the top of the drive and bottom of the actual heatsink

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
For mine, I suspect the same for you, instruction was thinner one at bottom so touching the bottom of the heatsink part (the metal enclosure) and thicker one top so touching the top of the drive and bottom of the actual heatsink
Thanks. I received no written instructions, and the two instruction images I can find on Amazon for this heatsink show what seems like the exact opposite arrangement one one image to the other: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07XZDZMSW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Which heatsink are you using?
It could be the heatsink, or the drive's firmware.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Transferring to the drive takes seconds for me, transferring from onto the PS5 drive takes a while unfortunately.

I rerinstalled it and hit 6200 on first try. Everything seems to be running smoothly. I think my USB external drive might have been causing an issue. I also think my PS5 was in the middle of downloadeding/installs.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I am using the Sabrent PS5 heatsink. I followed the instructions as listed in the provided materials and it is generally well reviewed.
Make sure the thermal pad is applied correctly... Though this would be much easier to diagnose if you could test it on a PC, unfortunately.

Transferring to the drive takes seconds for me, transferring from onto the PS5 drive takes a while unfortunately.
Don't worry about transfer speeds from the NVMe drive to the PS5's internal drive, the limit is the PS5 SSD writing speeds in that test.
The PS5's internal SSD has low writing speeds, apparently to prolong its life.