• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
I've been rediscovering my Switch as things are winding down for the year. Today I've cycled through three games: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Crafted World and Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. I'm enjoying the bits I'm playing of each of them, but they're also the (mostly) same game just with different art styles. Looking over the list of Nintendo-produced exclusives I see that I've played most of the other ones that interest me. So what are the good non-Nintendo exclusives? Maybe something that's not a side-scrolling platformer? Doesn't have to be a retail release... E-shop stuff is fine too. Tell me the good stuff.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Grindstone is a must have.
Bayonetta if that counts
Hades
Astral Chain

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Would you consider "previously Switch exclusives, now multi-platform" games? There are a lot that came out in 2017 but went multiplatform 1 or 2 years later.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- a short hike is an amazing little game (console exclusive)
- there's a bunch of picross games if you're into puzzle games
- no more heroes 1+2
- moon (port of a cult classic from the ps1 days)

Grindstone is a must have.
Bayonetta if that counts
Hades
Astral Chain
astral chain and bayo are first party

DogNut327

Aug 10, 2020
Astral Chain (Platinum) and Octopath Traveller (Capcom) are the first two that come to mind. Although I think Octopath eventually got a PC release so I don't know if that's exclusive enough for you. That being said I immensely enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it. It has a demo too, in case if you don't know if it's your thing

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
BoxBoy! is a really fun puzzle game. So is the Picross series. If you can find a copy of Ring Fit, definitely check that out.

Other than that, there aren't very many Switch exclusives. I use my Switch as my main indie machine, though. If you don't play indies on other consoles, I highly recommend diving into that world on your Switch. I have a dozen recs if you do .

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Moon is a good and cool. I believe it's also on sale at the moment. An atypical JRPG that plays around with genre expectations.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
- Hades
- Paradise Killer
- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
- Golf Story
- Octopath Traveler
- Cadence of Hyrule

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
I mentioned in the hidden gem thread. This game needs more exposure. Ace Angler.

The only way to play this in English is to import the Asia English version.

Edit: Apparently you can buy this game off JP eshop and it will be in English on your NA Switch.

Last edited:

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
Mario + Rabbids is among the best games on Switch, everyone should play that. There are some console exclusive indies that already have been mentioned. Other than that, there are far less Switch exclusive games than in previous generations. Monster Hunter Rise might be the biggest next to M+R once its out in March.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say

Astral Chain (Action game, one of Platinum's best imo)
Golf Story (top down RPG featuring Golf gameplay and charming characters and interactions)
THOTH (shoot em up game that is kind of abstract and puzzle-like. Not much of a soundtrack but is pretty ambient and somewhat stressing, a unique type of game)

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Mario + Rabbits is a fantastic game, yes, but even though it technically fits the OP's request, it kind of misses the point.

Definitely on the obscure and niche side, but I'll take the opportunity since it's there: If you like Picross, you should check out Murder by Numbers.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
mario-plus-rabbids-kingdom-battle-switch-hero.jpg

By far my favorite Switch game to date, and easily my favorite third party release as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Paradise Killer looked ok, almost jumped on that.

But I only just got AI Somnium Files. Will have another look before I start AI.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Grindstone, Hades and A Short Hike from this year.

Baba Is You from last year.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
It's kind of sad me and this person are the only ones who said Mario + Rabbids. The game is fantastic and continues to get overlooked on this website.

To be fair it's easy ish to forget M + R is a third party game, since most of its wide appeal comes from the most first party IP imaginable. not like the game can exist as is without Nintendo's licensing.

Totally fantastic strategy game though! Fully recommend any Mario fan with interest in the genre give this a chance. Don't be like some people I've seen on social media disregard it because of the Rabbids. Cringey as you may normally find them, the slapstick humor is charming and plays well against the more reserved (by comparison) Mario cast.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest 11 is really brilliant on the Switch. It makes it so easy and convenient to play a 100+ hour game.

Also Golf Story is really original and fun.

OP how far are you in Tropical Freeze? That game is an absolute masterpiece.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Mario + Rabbids is really fun. Top 10 game on the system. Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is content packed. Into the Breach is great if you haven't played it on PC. Same with Hades.

OP
OP
ChuckXL

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
Dragon Quest 11 is really brilliant on the Switch. It makes it so easy and convenient to play a 100+ hour game.

Also Golf Story is really original and fun.

OP how far are you in Tropical Freeze? That game is an absolute masterpiece.
Oh Tropical Freeze is great, I'm not complaining. I just need something to break up those three platformers.