• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mezati99

Banned
Feb 6, 2019
Planet Earth
Nintendo games are well known for their easiness, and that is fine considering the targeted audience, but once in a while there exist a N game where you stop and say "this is actually pretty challenging"

i am looking for that one game

BoTW, not the whole game, it's easy as fuck, but the lynels are no joke, especially in higher difficulties, those enemies are hands down the hardest in the entire game

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
F-Zero GX Story on Very Hard and Grand Prix on Master Mode

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The Fire Emblems that don't let you grind like you can in Awakening/Birthright, they can be pretty brutal.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Fzero GX is in contention for hardest game of all time. If that doesn't count than probably Zelda 2. I thought Zelda 2 was mostly fair though. Thats the thing about Nintendo games, they are all beatable if you understand what the game wants you to do and perhaps no one is better at communicating that than Nintendo.

Also :lol @ Nintendo being known for making easy games. If you want really hard games for the most part you need to go back in time.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
F-Zero GX, Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, and SMB: The Lost Level are the ones that jump out to me. You can cheese a lot of Zelda II if you grind and run away a lot in the bigger dungeons.

Dec 2, 2017
Nintendo games are well known for their easiness, and that is fine considering the targeted audience, but once in a while there exist a N game where you stop and say "this is actually pretty challenging"

BoTW, not the whole game, it's easy as fuck, but the lynels are no joke, especially in higher difficulties, those enemies are hands down the hardest in the entire game
By who?

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Fire Emblem Awakening Lunatic modes, but in a bad way because they aren't actually that hard just the enemies are insanely overleveled practically forcing you to buy the DLC to grind.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Lost Levels. The Famicom original, not The Lost Levels version. Lost Levels is still hard, mind you. But the Famicom original beats it.

The game was designed for hard core players in mind---super players.

F-Zero GX is a SEGA game. Sorry bros!

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Lol. What a silly generalization.

Botw is not easy. What are you comparing it to?

Kirby is easy.

Fire emblem games can be challenging.

Fzero is hard.

Retro Donkey kong is hard.

Kid ikarus uprising can be challenging at the highest levels.

Deleted member 4179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In almost 30 years of casually trying every now and then, I don't think I've even come close to beating the first level of Kid Icarus. Hell, I don't even know if it has levels.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. At least in its original cartridge version – having access to save states in later re-releases has eliminated a lot of the tedium of dealing with balancing the level-up process with keeping the console powered on. A friend of mine 30 years ago just left his NES running for a week straight while he and his brothers grinding XP on slimes to get Link fully powered up. (Now Nintendo's SP version of the game on Switch just starts you out with that status.)

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not really convinced 'Nintendo games' as a whole are designed to be easy, they just have some IP that tend to be more relaxing and forgiving to play, and so are well suited to beginners, and others with a decent difficulty curve throughout. It depends on the genre too- I play a lot of strategy games but found the final missions on the Advance Wars games to require a reasonable understanding of everything in play, and various earlier Fire Emblem games require you to have a reasonably strong force and thus have made decent decisions over the course of the campaign too. I wouldn't put them in the same bracket as Yoshi platformers, any more than I'd put something like Xcom in the same bracket as something like Skyrim that's designed to be far more accessible.

Even with Mario games, the later stages of the 2D ones don't really pull their punches, and Donkey Kong Returns/TF doesn't either. I'd say there's a variety in terms of expected skill level by the end across even just their platformers, let alone the various IP and genres.

Zelda is one where you get out of it what you put in- rush for the end and the game will be fairly challenging, explore and the experience gained will help as much as the incremental upgrades.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The trope for old school difficult games is literally called "Nintendo hard".

The answer to the thread question is either Fzero gx or maybe kid Icarus uprising on the harder difficulties.
To be fair, that has to do with the brutal arcade style design of NES games.

It was an interesting time. The console market was developing slowly, but game design sensibilities were still very much influenced by the arcades-- video game design teams usually had arcade heritages as well.

Oct 28, 2017
The Lost Levels are a magnitude above any other game ive played, Nintendo or otherwise.

Gold Lynels are Final Boss tier that you just encounter while looking for berries and bugs.

Vegeta'sKakarot

Alt-account.
Banned
Apr 11, 2019
Fire Emblem Fates Conquest is brutal. Like it's actually kinda crazy this is a modern FE with just how ridiculous it is. Especially on Hard, which was just peachy in Awakening but really earns the word 'Hard' in this one.

10 chapters in you'll be begging for mercy. 23 chapters in you'll wonder if the game's fucking with you by literally asking you to take down a fort of an enemy nation with a ragtag team of 13. It's insanity.

But god is it fun as hell. It's the exact kind of 'perfect' brutality similar to Dark Souls, where it's all earned and none of its cheap. The game's simply using all its mechanics to its absolute limit and challenges you to do the same.

The amount my strategic brain grew over just 10 chapters of this game rivals my entire growth from playing like 6 other FE games. It does NOT let you fuck around, and it's the fuckin best for it.

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say F-Zero GX if only because I flat out would get destroyed almost immediately. They're rather brutal, more so than stuff like the Souls games, which I find relatively forgiving

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easily F-Zero GX even F-Zero X is already difficult.

No it doesn't count as a Sega game.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
I think your point about Nintendo games being easy only really stands for more recent games.
But I have to say Metroid Prime 2
That Boost Guardian.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Wave Race Blue Storm is up there.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. At least in its original cartridge version – having access to save states in later re-releases has eliminated a lot of the tedium of dealing with balancing the level-up process with keeping the console powered on. A friend of mine 30 years ago just left his NES running for a week straight while he and his brothers grinding XP on slimes to get Link fully powered up. (Now Nintendo's SP version of the game on Switch just starts you out with that status.)

I don't really get this. Zelda 2 is one of the hardest Nintendo games, but why did he need to leave the NES on? Why farm slimes? I beat the game while borrowing it from a friend in the day for a week. But something like FZero GX, if you count it, I can play for months and still have never finished it...

PortableSam

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Final battle with Sturm in Advance Wars still gives me shivers. You want real softball stuff go for Activision or EA games or basically any console FPS

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

This is an acceptable generalization only if you're born after Wii came out. Even that is is inaccurate as Nintendo platformers like NSMBU deluxe and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze are pretty difficult.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Pretty sure Nintendo games aren't known for their easiness. If anything, there's a lot more harder exclusives on Nintendo side compared to Sony or MS.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Even not including NES games and SEGA's amazing racing game, Nintendo's games still have difficulty to them.

Donkey Kong Country: Returns is very hard. I remember this one level I lost 60 of my 99 lives in, and then I lost the rest of them in the following levels.
DKC: Tropical Freeze is also really hard.
Both of those games later received ports where they were also made significantly easier due to their high difficulty.

Mario Sunshine is also hard. My favorite are the Blooper races where if you just touch a wall, you die.
I'm currently replaying A Link to the Past and that game is easily one of the hardest Zelda games, only made easier because I know about the fairies in a bottle thing.

Apr 21, 2018
I am surprised everyone says F-Zero GX is one of the hardest games ever? I beat unlocking all the AX cups but I can't get past the first boss in Bloodborne....

SMB:lost levels is the answer OP. It's cruel-hard.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
divv97m9dg7hhqdc7w95.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Out of their Switch games Tropical Freeze in non-funky mode kicked my ass.

Hell I can't even beat it in funky mode thanks to a certain hard boss that funky doesn't really help with.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The bad games like Clu Clu Land. There's just no reason to get good in a game so bad.