• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
HNY, ERA. Stay classy.

This year, I would like to give MOBAs a fair shot. In particular, I want 2019 to be the year I learn DotA 2 properly. In addition, I want to play more Stellaris than I did last year and achieve a good sense of mastery in that genre.

My biggest reasons for not getting into either before was the toxic community that plagues DotA 2 and the learning curve Stellaris brings with it relative to my modest collection of games that demanded my attention in 2018. But I want to change that and give these two games a go.

How about you? What will you be finally giving a chance?

Please feel free to give details such as why you never got into Game/Genre X before now and why you feel it could be time you did this year.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I might give Danganronpa and Zero Escape: The Nonary Games a try.

I've heard lots of good things about them but I've never played games like them before so I'm not sure if they'll be for me.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

I've heard lots of good things about them but I've never played games like them before so I'm not sure if they'll be for me.
The one I started with (of that genre) was Ace Attorney, because it has a good mix of visual novel and point and click adventure. Both of those options are really good to start with.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Character action games. Already have the DMC HD Collection, DMC4SE, and a pre-order for DMCV. Also gonna wrap up Bayonetta 1 and 2, which I bought for Switch but only sunk a few hours into each.

If you're gonna do that, my advice is to pick them up on PC or Vita. They feel right at home on either platform.

Also, be wary of spoilers and do not Google "[danganronpa/zero escape] [character name]" under any circumstances. Just try and figure out the stories on your own, and you'll enjoy them tons more as a result.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Never been a huge fan of platform games, but i'm gonna give them a shot since i just saw Monster Boy and The Cursed Kindgom. It looks insane.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
None that I can think of. I play a fairly broad range of games, and the ones I don't, I don't think I will this year. That's mainly visual novels and... that's about it?

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Recent thread about Halo Wars 2 has made me think about giving the (lighter) RTS games a go. I used to enjoy them on PC but haven't played any in years. Might give it a shot.

Kagekyo

Dec 25, 2018
Spain
This year I'm going to give a chance to Nintendo. I've been years without a device of them, so that imply new games and franchises, as xeno2, octopath, bayonetta, etc...

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I've never really gotten into DMC or Resident Evil, but I'm planning on giving RE2 and DMC5 a try.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda want to step away from forcing myself to get into multiplayer games, but I have been liking Pillars of Eternity lately. Guess I'm gonna go into a wrpg mood or whatever.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I've already started in December to get into character action games.

I played MG: Rising many times, but I never played DMC games before, so I beat DMC1 and 3 (both really good, albeit somewhat frustrating at times) and I'm heading toward DMC4 and DmC. I also really want to play Bayonetta.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a very cool idea for a thread. This year I will give fighting game a try. I already have Blazblue series in my Steam library since they are dirt cheap.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
RPGs probably, played Super Mario RPG (SNES) and FF7 on PS1. Nothing on PS2 or PS3. Tried Child of Light for a bit on my old Vita. That is it. I want to try Ni No Kuni 2 or KH3 or DQ11.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Gonna try my hand at Bloodborne again. Try getting into Soulsborne. Maybe then I'll get excited for Sekiro.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought a VR headset for Christmas so I plan to use it. It'll probably make me play some more experience-focused games and make me move away a bit from my tradition of mostly 2D indies and action-adventure games. Have some "walking sims", racing and more or less on rails games lined up.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Hardly any. Though I'll still try the occasional popular game in a genre I don't play, like Danganronpa sometime this year, I usually stick with what I like.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
yoshi and animal crossing

i've always seen the former as being TOO simplistic. and the latter too aimless. but i'm going to give them a go this year.

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
This is a very cool idea for a thread. This year I will give fighting game a try. I already have Blazblue series in my Steam library since they are dirt cheap.

Thank you. Actually, after playing Dragon Ball FighterZ for the first time in December, I was compelled to get back into fighting games. So, I bought Smash for now.

Space sims or grand strategy games. Always been very intimidating to me.

Originally, I wanted to make the thread about games we find intimidating that we will play nonetheless this year as a statement to ourselves. Not only has your response captured that initial idea I had, but your choice of games is right where I am as well.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
RTS. Genre just eluded me over the years. I've been introducing myself to new genres the past few years and it's been great to gain insight into why others are really drawn to certain genres. Of course it's great to discover a new hook for yourself as well.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I can't think of any new genre . I play pretty much everything besides things like visual novels, but I'm never gonna play those.

I might try Detroit if I can find it somewhere reaaaally cheap. The story looks interesting but usually I prefer alot more interaction in games. So that'll be something new

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
seems like i'm passing up a new strategy/RTS that looks interesting every day now, maybe should be a genre i finally take more seriously. don't know if i have the time tough

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I think strategy. I've been longing for a more relaxed, less immediate type of game to sink my teeth into after work on evenings, and I've just downloaded Into the Breach, which is absolutely fantastic. My exposure to strategy is limited, having only dabbled in things like Fire Emblem Awakening before.

I'll probably pick up Fire Emblem Three Houses later in the year, as well as stuff like Civ 2. The Switch seems absolutely perfect for strategy titles.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Not a genre as such, but I'm thinking I want to start playing PC games more actively.
I'm a console guy at heart but I've managed to build up a decent library of PC games I've never touched, so this year I want to start chipping away at them. I wonder how far I'll get...

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Character Action Game with DMC V and strategic rpg with Fire Emblem Switch and Into the Breach

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Still hold some interest in getting into a big CRPG title. Last year I did play and enjoy Shadowrun Dragonfall but that seems much smaller in scale than some others in the genre. Probably stick to games with turn based combat though, real time with pause feels a step too far.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Cool thread topic.

Actually my curiosity has really been peaked from what ive seen of God Eater 3. I just ordered Rage Burst also couple days ago online after watching some vids about it. Looking forward to jumping into and trying this series out for the first time.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I bought Slay the Spire on the weekend. I enjoy deck building board games like Dominion, but I've never played a deck building rogue-like before so I guess we'll start with that for my first new genre of the year.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I tried my hand at Monster Hunter and Smash for the first time in 2018. I might finally start Bloodborne this month. I'm somebody who bought Demon's Souls on release and never played it (mostly because the world of those games is a big turn off).

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I tried my hand at Monster Hunter and Smash for the first time in 2018. I might finally start Bloodborne this month. I'm somebody who bought Demon's Souls on release and never played it (mostly because the world of those games is a big turn off).

I tried Bloodborne out last year and surprisingly enjoyed the little bit I played. Besides my OP, this is the year I want to beat Bloodborne, Nioh and Dark Souls 3.

Jan 10, 2018
Not a genre perhaps but I'm gonna play a lot of Nintendo games. I bought a Nintendo system for the first time in 15 years and I'm mainly focusing on the exclusives.

Other than that... strategy perhaps? I'm thinking of picking up Civ VI for the Switch.

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Not a genre perhaps but I'm gonna play a lot of Nintendo games. I bought a Nintendo system for the first time in 15 years and I'm mainly focusing on the exclusives.

Other than that... strategy perhaps? I'm thinking of picking up Civ VI for the Switch.

Awesome, I still play V on PC but maybe now would be a good time to get VI and the Switch seems perfect for "one more turn" while in bed.

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
In addition to the OP, I figured I could give VNs a try as well. I saw 428 being mentioned around ERA and dove in head-first. No regrets. Game is amazing. It really feels weird to be out of my comfort zone but I am enjoying myself.
I am also enjoying Dead Cells.

As for my OP, I have been playing Stellaris on PC albeit slowly. I hope the momentum picks up. DotA 2, I just updated today. So maybe tonight I will bot it out before bed.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
I played Grim Fandango recently and really enjoyed it. It makes me want to go through all the great adventure games I never played because I always found them to be frustersting.

Might give Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle a try next.

OP
OP
Mexen

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I played Grim Fandango recently and really enjoyed it. It makes me want to go through all the great adventure games I never played because I always found them to be frustersting.

Might give Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle a try next.

That's good to know. I have it on GOG and recently on Switch. Yet to play it but I have heard and read good things.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
A big huge RPG.

I got Witcher 3 on sale at the tail end of last year, hoping to start it properly this year.

It will be the first sprawling 100+ hour RPG I've played, and I'm expecting to get fed up of it a dozen hours in. I'll give it a chance, and maybe that won't be the case.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
RTS or simulation (Civilization or w/e other building game)

Got a ton on Steam but havent played a single one yet.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I usually back burner all he big AAA exclusives but this year I wanna tackle some of them. I really enjoyed games like InFamous last gen so I know they will be good. Got Horizon, Uncharted 2, 4, and God Of War on the docket, hopefully before Summer.

Similarly I hate, HATE platformers outside Castlevania/Mega Man ZX. They were so hard and honestly not well made back in the day that I swore them off entirely. Now I want to try some. My goals are going to be Mario Odyssey and w/e Mega Man game ERA recommends.

Denamitea

Nov 1, 2017
That's good to know. I have it on GOG and recently on Switch. Yet to play it but I have heard and read good things.
It's really charming and the story is fun. I recommend peaking at a walkthrough to play through a fair amount of it though. There are a couple pretty obtuse puzzles.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I am giving Looter Shooters and shooters in general a try this year.
Started with Overwatch, which is fine but i only enjoy it with friends to chat with.
Now on Anthem, and really enjoying it.

This weekend there is a division 2 demo, so gonna check that out.