• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

trimin

Oct 25, 2017
There's plent y of games from the past that makes us go down memory lane. But are there recent games that make you feel that way? Share their music. Say in the last 5 years. What tracks from games in recent years brings you nostalgia? They bring you right back to that time and moment you were playing. Around this time of the year is when I start to feel nostalgic, mainly because I have time during the breaks to play so many games.

Here's a couple of mine:

This game so perfectly encapsulated th feeling of each season with its music. I particularly like this track for invoking some distant memories especially when the oboe comes in. It nails that forlorn mood of the fall season to me. It's a pretty chill track for a chilly season.

Another game i started playing during the holiday season. This and Theme of Dominique are my favorites from this game. Something about it makes me miss the times when I was a kid and could play these types of games all day, just wandering about in all these different levels with different themes, like this water level. Great use of water by the way.

Oct 28, 2017
Slight cheat because it was 6 years. But this track (and the whole Mick Gordon KI soundtrack) really encapsulated this past generation for me. And with so much personal change over the past 5-6 years, it's hard not to associate it with recent nostalgia.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

I guess this game has hit the eight year old mark but it doesn't feel that old. Listening to it reminds me of being depressed in college and reaching the end of VLR and having my anticipation for another game in the series be one of my motivations for continuing on. I'd often listen to this song during depressive episodes where I needed something motivating me and think of VLR, of what Luna would expect of me (if she were real) and that a third game hasn't happened yet.

Within five years is hard because I've way overlistened to my favorite game soundtracks from the past few years (Undertale, VA-HA11-A, Persona 5), to the point where it's hard to feel nostalgic for any of them because on any average day I've thrown one of those on while working. I guess this makes me think of late night Splatoon sessions during the Summer of 2015 after binging Melee streams all day:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

I guess this game has hit the eight year old mark but it doesn't feel that old. Listening to it reminds me of being depressed in college and reaching the end of VLR and having my anticipation for another game in the series be one of my motivations for continuing on. I'd often listen to this song during depressive episodes where I needed something motivating me and think of VLR, of what Luna would expect of me (if she were real) and that a third game hasn't happened yet.

Within five years is hard because I've way overlistened to my favorite game soundtracks from the past few years (Undertale, VA-HA11-A, Persona 5), to the point where it's hard to feel nostalgic for any of them because on any average day I've thrown one of those on while working. I guess this makes me think of late night Splatoon sessions during the Summer of 2015 after binging Melee streams all day:

Morphogenetic Sorrow is probably my pick. Fab work from Shinji Hosoe.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
A fair bit of Outer Wilds - it's got a really rare mix of nice folksy charm combined with space exploration - but I'll flag up the title track

Edit: Actually, also Timber Hearth is right up there.

Last edited:

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017

The last one especially because coffee shops just don't exist right now.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017

The nostalgia starts with the first track and lasts the entirety of the game. It delivered nostalgia upon first playing it for so many 8 and 16-bit titles, and now I'm nostalgic for Undertale itself whenever I hear tracks from it.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Zelda's lullaby when the robot chirped it in Age of Calamity. It reminds me when I was a kid and my brother was playing OoT. My brother died several years back. That songs always bring backs those memories of him.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
Not exactly a recent game, but my roommate just did a run through Persona 4 so hearing the music brought back memories of my playthrough.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown

Really just the Undertale soundtrack in general. It hits all of those right notes that makes me feel wistful and nostalgic.