• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Quantum Leap

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
People having kids is the only reason you're even alive right now. You should go thank your parents instead of making this thread. It makes no sense.
Lmao honestly I should have been shot into a condom

HTJVUGu.jpg

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For the vast majority of people (that won't make an impact on art or industry), it's an opportunity to learn and teach as well as to pass on and be remembered.

Unless you make the history books, it's the only part of you that lives on aside from some cool deals at an estate sale.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
For the vast majority of people (that won't make an impact on art or industry), it's an opportunity to learn and teach as well as to pass on and be remembered.

Unless you make the history books, it's the only part of you that lives on aside from some cool deals at an estate sale.
This would be awesome if by having some part of you, some name on a ship, or a continued effect on people I'd actually be living on somehow (ghost? This would probably suck), but in reality I'd still be dead as a rock. It's like if teleportation is eventually created and when you use it you die but your copy is you living on. I'd never teleport unless I was done living because the copy won't be me. (Recently watched the Breaking Bad line reading where they talk about teleportation and copies. Trippy).

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
My daughter is 7, we've taken her to Japan, Morocco, Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands. She's been to Kauai twice and Maui once. Disneyland once and Disneyworld once. We're taking her to Slovakia, Poland and Hungary in November.

Shit, since she was born my wife and I have gone to Japan once without her, Mexico without her and we did a long weekend to San Francisco last month.

You sound incredibly fortunate, I don't know many people that could afford that even without a kid.
What can come across wrong is do you know people aren't all like that?

Personally I don't want a kid because there's no drive, likely because I've not even met anyone I could spend my life with and I don't think I'd be a good parent, or financially stable.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
For regeneration and evolution. People will have various reasons to justify the logic behind it, but at the end of the day it is the force of evolution. It has been planted inside human's brain since day 1 of earth

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
How do you prevent your kids from throwing tantrums?
I worked at one of the disney parks in the past and that experience made me want to castrate myself.
not literally obviously

Kids tend to throw tantrums because they are hungry or tired, have a mid day chill session for some rest or swimming at the pool. If you try to power thru all day long everyone will be cranky.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This would be awesome if by having some part of you, some name on a ship, or a continued effect on people I'd actually be living on somehow (ghost? This would probably suck), but in reality I'd still be dead as a rock. It's like if teleportation is eventually created and when you use it you die but your copy is you living on. I'd never teleport unless I was done living because the copy won't be me. (Recently watched the Breaking Bad line reading where they talk about teleportation and copies. Trippy).

Well, I guess it's the idea that your experiences and values will mean something to future generations. My grandparents are aging, but they taught me a lot and I'll pass it forward. That adds weight to everyday interactions. No, I won't know then, but I know now (for better or worse).

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some people are happy getting their own kids because having their own family expanding means a lot to them.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
A deafeningly loud biological clock once I hit my late 20s is what did it for me.

I think my attitude changed overnight from "I hate children and I never want one" to "kids are awesome and I don't want to spend the next 30 years of my life screwing around and spending money on myself for the sake of it"

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I enjoy being able to do whatever the hell I want whenever I want. I'm not willing to make those concessions, and I don't think that's selfish given I get one life and should get to choose how to live it.

It's selfish, but I'd don't necessarily think that is a negative. Parenting is not for everyone and i don't bregrudge anyone for not wanting It. It is a major life change and you do have to make personal concessions because now you have another little life that is wholly dependent on you.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Making light of mental disabilities; hostile generalizations of an entire community.
Is that OP serious when it describes kids 'being cute' as the only benefit to having them?

Let's face it, a non-insignificant swathe of era has some form of mental or learning incapacity which limits their ability to be empathetic or use logic/reason to understand why something as socially and behaviourally common as having kids is a thing.

This isn't me being hostile in any way, but at this point it's pretty blatant. There's a fair population here who just don't understand societal norms or how the vast majority of humans think. It's frustrating but also kinda sad.

Friends and and a spouse are equals rather complete dependants who need near constant care and cause significant financial burden.

You don't know that that won't change. Guess if your spouse became disabled to the point of needing personal case, you'd not want them anymore?

Last edited:

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
The opportunity to guide and love your child through life and watch them grow up is big. Being able to experience things with your child, and seeing their eyes light up with wonder. Seeing their smiles, getting sweet hugs and kisses. Nothing beats the love between a child and a parent, imho.

Edit: also if we wanted just something 'cute' we would have just gotten a dog.
as a father of a 15 weeks old boy I can subscribe to this. Sure I have not as much time to game as before, but I don't care. I love (and this word doesn't fully describe how much I love my son) him so much. He is everything for me. Keep in mind that I needed to get 30 to develop any kind of interest in children at all. And I live on a continent where healthcare and education are part of the social system so I don't have to empty my savings. In a year we will even get money from the state for the child to help with the expenses.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I mean, having a person that is a combination of you and your favourite other person is a big one for me. Have 2 girls and they are hard work but I wouldnt change a thing.

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Some of you sound like teenage edgelords.

I don't have a kid nor plan on one anytime soon but from my experiences with my little nephews I can see why I would want to have children. To raise another human being must be very fulfilling. To create life with the person you love, to raise a good person and a good human being, to relive experiences with them and through their own eyes, to continue your bloodline, to have a meaning in life, someone to leave your stuff to, to have someone who'll love and care for you, because it's natural...

It might be different in some parts of the world, tho. I hear a lot of things about American teens having to leave their home and become independent at just 18. Where I live, it's not like that. Living at your parent's is perfectly normal well into your 20s. Hell, when I finish my education and hopefully get a job I can do from home, I'll move back to my parent's place. Because it's nice there and because I love them and don't want to leave them all by themselves after they've done and sacrificed so much for me and my sister to have a good life. Family values are really different in different parts of the world.

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
So this is something that I don't talk about much because I've met several couples who can't have children.

( Also, let's take climate change out of the conversation for just a moment. )

If you are emotionally, physically, and financially capable of continuing the human race, you owe it to us to do so.

I'm sorry, what?

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
It's not worth it imo, especially with the ongoing climate crisis that makes me never want to adopt and raise a kid that will deal with all that
They're already born, they're gonna deal with it with or without you. what would you like to do with all those children needing adoption that would lessen the ecological stress? Kill them?

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kids are amazing.

It's like playing a 3rd person life sim RPG with a huge level up ceiling, co-op play, versus play, near infinite storyline choices, high commitment factor, extremely immersive etc.

So a 9/10 game. Downside is you can't pause it lmao.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Raising children is hard but incredibly rewarding. If you have to ask the question then having children is probably not for you... for now at least. It can change very fast though lol.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Reproduction the the only objectively quantifiable purpose of life. You may be the richest, most handsome, famous just outright gorgeous motherfucker on the entire planet, if you don't have kids you failed.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I get that dogs can be cute sometimes, but that seems to be the only pro versus a long list of cons on having a dog as a pet. The 2 biggest negatives are definitely the financial burden and the inconveniences to your life. I mean why is it worth it?

Mostly kidding with the above but it might help give some perspective to the OP and others who can't understand why people have kids.

I also need to remind myself whenever this comes up on Resetera that most of the posters that don't want kids are still rather young. I remember having conversations exactly like the OP with friends of mine when we were teenagers. We all said we would never have kids and I know I for sure didn't want them. Guess what - we all have kids now and I think we are happier for it. People change as they mature and the things that matter to the OP become less important.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
People need something to endoctrinate and impose their ideals and way of life to : o
Also prevent them from doing the exact things they did at the same age. The hypocrisy !

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I know people that did not want kids their entire life and now are in their 40's or about to be 40 and have regrets, but are too scared to try now due to possible complications from pregnancy. People can change their minds.
Of course, but it's not a given which is what the person I was responding to was suggesting.

Last edited:

Dankir

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not everybody on Era lives in the US? lol expand your horizons OP, education in Canada is nowhere as expensive as the states. Daycare can be had for as little as 7 dollars a day depending on your income up to 20 ( or more if you go private ) healthcare is free.

So yeah you need to be fiscally responsible still but it's way more manageable.

Nov 17, 2017
Life is pretty damn boring if youre childless in your 30s. I had my first kid at 34 and prior to that my life consisted of work, starbucks and my friends cancelling on weekend plans due to family obligations.
I don't know if I'd want to have a kid out of boredom and I also feel like it's not good to have a kid out of the pressure of turning 30. I hate the idea that once you're 30, people expect you to be getting married and having kids.

My daughter is 7, we've taken her to Japan, Morocco, Spain, Belgium and the Netherlands. She's been to Kauai twice and Maui once. Disneyland once and Disneyworld once. We're taking her to Slovakia, Poland and Hungary in November.

Shit, since she was born my wife and I have gone to Japan once without her, Mexico without her and we did a long weekend to San Francisco last month.

You can still do those things.
I'm childless and in my late 20s and your daughter has been to more countries than I have. I think you might have to consider that most people are not as fortunate to have the money and time to do what you do. That's simply not realistic for most people.

Also, I've personally never understood taking a very young kid traveling around the world. I'm not sure if they would even remember or appreciate it at such a young age and it seems like such an extra expense when you could take them somewhere they would enjoy just as much without the large cost. And taking babies/toddler/little kids on airplanes seems like a nightmare. More power to you if you enjoy it, I just couldn't begin to understand it in my life (or afford it.)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Life is pretty damn boring if youre childless in your 30s. I had my first kid at 34 and prior to that my life consisted of work, starbucks and my friends cancelling on weekend plans due to family obligations.
If your life is boring in your 30s without kids, that's entirely on you.

Children are not a "cure for boredom" anyway, that's a terrible reason to have them.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Going by the few that I know that actually 'want' to have children, it appears to be a sense of duty and obligation that compel them to have children, rather than an actual wish to undergo the process of having children voluntarily.
One particular person I remember speaking with, they outright rejected the option of adopting children, even though I implored that the option of adoption is a far more ethical choice for the sake of the environment, and giving the adopted a good secure home to live in. They insisted regardless on having a wife and kids sired from her, no matter what.
He was or is a religious man.
Of course, everyone else could see that he was flaming gay.

It's completely alien to me. It looks completely irresponsible to me to have children for such a reason.
But, I'm not those people. Even if I disagree with what appears to be their motivation. So I guess I'm not allowed to judge

Of course, I'm far less concerned about the people that want to have children to pass down skills, but I still reckon the most ethical option is adoption. Population issues, and all the other ethical arguments.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I was fairly neutral about kids. I didn't get why people thought they were special. I was never good with kids, but I didn't dislike them the way so many people here do.

When I had kids, I did it mostly for my wife. She always really wanted kids in her life, and I was well aware of that throughout our relationship, and I was okay with the idea. So we did. I was incredibly awkward around my kid at first, but I learned.

I have to say that it's a very different feeling when you're around your own kid. Your kid is adorable. Your kid is incredibly cuddly. When you hold your kid, see him smile, or watch him figure something out right in front of you, it's the best feeling in the world.

You know how if you were getting a friend or SO into something you're really into, and you feel happy for them when you see them like it or get better at it? It's like that for your kid, except it happens every day and on a different order of magnitude. Your kid is learning everything from scratch. You're watching and guiding them to grow as a person, and it's incredibly rewarding to see it happen.

As for cute? I never really understood people thinking kids were cute until I had one. It's like looking at your SO vs looking at a random person. The person you love always looks special to you.

Yes, parenting can be hard and often it's the hard parts that other people see from an outside perspective. It's natural that everyone remembers the one loud crying kid in the mall and doesn't notice the dozen strollers with happy and quiet babies all around them (seriously, I really didn't notice how many strollers there are everywhere until I had a kid). But the good parts of parenting more than make up for the bad parts.

Honestly, if you don't want to have kids, that's fine. That's a perfectly fine choice. I don't get why there's so much hate or judgement directed between people who want kids and people who don't.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to have kids because I knew it would be a special thing for my wife and I to share together.

We have two now, they're little monsters, but they're also the greatest things to ever happen to me. The love you receive from your kids is like nothing else.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Let's face it, a non-insignificant swathe of era has some form of mental or learning incapacity which limits their ability to be empathetic or use logic/reason to understand why something as socially and behaviourally common as having kids is a thing.

This isn't me being hostile in any way, but at this point it's pretty blatant. There's a fair population here who just don't understand societal norms or how the vast majority of humans think. It's frustrating but also kinda sad.
Yes to this. I get that many here and elsewhere choose not to have kids. For all kinds of reasons and that's totally fine. But to be oblivious to the reasons why people have kids it amazing to me. Some people really seem to have checked out of society.

On the flip side, at least these questions are asked. There's a genuine interest there and I think lots of times the answers people give like "you can't understand until you have a kid", aren't helping at all. People have kids for countless reasons. We had ours because we've always liked kids and felt it was finally time. We waited along time, focusing on careers, among other things. But at almost 40 years old we figured it was time. Luckily we had a perfectly healthy girl. While everyone's experience is different, ours has been the best experience in our lives. I wouldn't trade these last five years with our daughter for anything as they've been the best in my entire life. My daughter gives fulfillment like nothing I've ever experienced. Kids instantly become the most important thing in your life.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I really, really enjoy playing with my two children. I have a hard time imagining or even believing that I would have more fun with other adults than I do with my own children. It's the best stress reliever that I have experienced. They love and adore me and I feel the same way about them.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I get that dogs can be cute sometimes, but that seems to be the only pro versus a long list of cons on having a dog as a pet. The 2 biggest negatives are definitely the financial burden and the inconveniences to your life. I mean why is it worth it?

Mostly kidding with the above but it might help give some perspective to the OP and others who can't understand why people have kids.

I also need to remind myself whenever this comes up on Resetera that most of the posters that don't want kids are still rather young. I remember having conversations exactly like the OP with friends of mine when we were teenagers. We all said we would never have kids and I know I for sure didn't want them. Guess what - we all have kids now and I think we are happier for it. People change as they mature and the things that matter to the OP become less important.

I think we're also wired to get attached to things, especially offspring if we have them. For example, say you had a dog for a year or more, eventually or within months you would find it hard to imagine life without that dog. Now let's try something crazier, what if it was an elephant. It could be the most annoying and inconvenient thing to raise but you will get attached to it. And these two can't even speak a language. You could have the most racist father in the world, and he nearly kills you when you show up to his house with your not 1000% pure blue baby, but after a while it'll break through his defenses and he too could never imagine life without that green kid. Of course he will say his half blue half yellow kid is different and still hate all yellow people.