• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Hello folks!

As the thread title says - what events from this generation stick out in your head as memorable? This isn't talking about pre-launch stuff (such as Xbox's well-documented... foibles.. leading up to launch), but just events from the last seven years of console games. Memorable controversies, memorable public events, etc.

I'll list one first:

The Watch_Dogs Downgrade "Controversy"

I think everyone came away from that E3 2012 gameplay demo with maximum hype. The physics on the coat! The garbage blowing in the wind! All of the people and ambient conversations! Then that gameplay footage came out in (I think?) early 2014, and suddenly the internet was on fire with people accusing Ubisoft of being liars, and YouTube videos doing frame-by-frame deep dives on the differences between the 2012 footage and the 2014 footage.

Between this and a similar controversy surrounding FarCry 3 a couple years earlier, it actually led to a still-enduring reputation for Ubisoft having graphical "downgrades" in their games.

Watch_Dogs came out, and it was... fine. Aiden Pearce (and his iconic hat!) had the charisma of a block of wood, and a silly voice, but it was otherwise a serviceable open-world game. People actually managed to unearth the E3 2012 demo's graphical settings in the game's files somehow, and they basically made the game unplayable from a practical standpoint. Everything further than about 5 feet from you had a hilariously strong (but "cinematic") depth-of-field effect, and rain drops were all over-illuminated by light sources - it looked like it was raining white sparks or something. Stuff that would look cool to an observer, but hamper actual gameplay.

Side note: Has anyone actually seen a real leather coat that is fastened together via a single leather band-aid? "Aiden Pearce" really might be my vote fo rmost ridiculous new protagonist this generation too, haha.

Anyhow - what is yours?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Bloodborne. Just Bloodborne in general.

I guess Spiderman puddlegate as well?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Reviewers pretending walking in Death Stranding was difficult so that they could make videos showing Sam constantly falling over. This forum thirsty to see the game fail because it turned out to be a AAA hiking sim and not heavy on sci-fi action.

MGSV's Chapter 3.

FF Versus XII being re-revealed as FFXV in an extremely exciting way only for the game to get chopped to bits and end up mediocre.

Capcom rebounding from last gen by making some of my favorite games of the generation.

Everyone predicting that the Switch would flop as hard as Wii U.

The fact that I never purchased an Xbox One after spending all of last gen mainly on a 360.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne - Entering Yharnham
Zelda Breath of the Wild - Riding the Lord of the Mountain
Witcher 3 - Going to Skellige

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Personally?

All the bitching and moaning about "but GOW 2019 is gonna SUCK cuz they added a KIDDDDDD and how absolutely ANNOYING and DREADFUL and FUCK THIS GAME I'LL NEVER BUY IT CUZ THEY MESSED IT UP WITH A KIDDD" rhetoric that went around here for months on months on months until release.

Then I didn't hear another single fucking word about it.

Oh, and also this is the gen when people finally accepted that they hate Kojima so much that they're actually secretly in love with him. The amount of posters trolling that game from day one (and still to this day) despite wanting people to believe they have no interest was/is entertaining to see.

And lastly probably the Fortnite live events.

OP
OP
Scottoest

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Bloodborne. Just Bloodborne in general.

I guess Spiderman puddlegate as well?

Puddlegate was kinda like a diet version of the Watch_Dogs controversy. Which arguably made it more ridiculous, haha.

But it was games like Watch_Dogs that paved the way for people to obsess about potential "downgrades" in videogames. So in that sense, it really did end up being revolutionary.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Forza Horizon 2 is probably my favourite game of this gen. I'll always remember the first time I played it.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
The Year of Dreams E3 briefing where Shenmue III, The Last Guardian, and FFVII Remake were revealed.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The rock in Undertale.
"You wanted me to stay there?"

Yes, the moments I will remember best are those I spent with the incredible indie games that have dominated this gen.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Personally, undocking my switch for the first time while playing Breath of the Wild blew me away.

In terms of industry events or moments

Cloud being announced for Smash Smash Bros WiiU/3DS

Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake announced essentially back to back, in particular Huber losing his god damn mind at Shenmue 3

Iwata's death

Sony's "how to let a friend borrow your game on ps4" commercial

Microsoft's "tv tv tv sports sports sports" press conference for the xbox one

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Gaming Moments:

- First planet to space Take-Off in No Mans Sky VR
- Witcher 3 Opening: Riding through White Orchard at Sunset
- Resident Evil 7 VR
- Devil May Cry 5 - all of it
- Bloodborne - Begging Hours in Yarnham

"Industry" Moments:

- Iwatas Passing
- Battlefront II Lootbox Fallout
- Capcoms Rebound

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
MCC launching busted as hell
Sony E3 2015
The first leaked footage of ADS in Halo 5
Breath of the Wild release date trailer

But the thing I'll remember most is standing in line for hours in the freezing cold to buy a PS4 on launch week, chatting with folks about games and soccer. Lovely, exciting moment in time.

OP
OP
Scottoest

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The Battlefront 2 loot box debacle

That's a good one. Probably the biggest gamer backlash I've seen in years, and may have even permanently altered the industry, in terms of how far publishers were willing to go with lootboxes and post-release monetization.

Even rumours about Disney wanting to take the Star Wars license away from EA, and their direct interventiom being part of the reason what EA took this stuff out.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
- BOTW-related moments like that epic final trailer or gliding down from the game's tutorial area
- Sony's E3 of 2015 where they casually dropped three of most long-awaited games for all of us to see
- Ancel's tears in Ubisoft's E3 press after they revealed Beyond Good & Evil 2
- Iwata's passing

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Breath of the Wild leadup and release

Overwatch Beta and release (so good)

Blizzards downfall.

Lootboxes. Lootboxes everywhere.

Iwata gone

Hollow Knight completely absorbing me

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
first gen where I owned a non-Nintendo console
VR gaming
A bunch of fucking amazing games. Can't even list them out
This was my first gen of indies, and I love it
No Man's Sky - seamlessly taking off from a planet, going into space, landing on another planet
FF7 remake hype
Everything is a souls-like

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Personal stuff:
Getting my Xbox One via raffle.
Playing Stardew Valley for the first time.
Introducing my nephews to Super Mario Bros.

Industry stuff:
Iwata's passing
Watching Mighty No.9 go from one of the hypest games ever to being a joke
Indie games like Rocket League, Undertale, and Stardew Valley coming almost out of nowhere
"Everyone is here!"
Final Fantasy VII on a Nintendo console
Etika's suicide

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Shenmue III announcement. Nothing will ever come close to that for me ever again. Shame I didn't care much for the actual game, but the hype of that announcement had me on cloud nine for years.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Day 1. It was the first home console I ever purchased from Amazon, and I remember how happy I was when my PS4 and all of my games arrived at launch. I believe I got BF4, Assassins Creed 4, Killzone, and spent my store credit on Resogun.

I felt like a little kid at Christmas. Hooking it up, taking down my PS3, and just generally making room for everything. I also remember how half the games I wanted to play didn't even work at the time like BF4 and Killzone was pretty shit, so I ended up crushing Resogun all night having my mind blown by the sounds coming out of the controller.

I'll never forget that launch. This gen had a lot of cool things to offer, but I will admit that the first 2-3 years or so were pretty shit. Here's to hoping the PS5 and Xbox Series X get off on a better foot.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
The E3 with Last Guardian, FF VII Remake and Shenmue 3.
The E3 where the consoles were introduced with the ensuing Microsoft massacre.
Experiencing VR for the first time.

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Launching and following a single console through an entire generation is not something I imagine I'll ever do again - a lot of firsts, a lot of highs and lows, my strongest memories will likely be from around E3 2015-2017.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Playing, fully enjoying and Platinum'ing Persona 5, Nier Automata and Horizon Zero Dawn back to back to back. I give no fucks about trophies or whatnot except if I really like a game so to have not 1, not 2 but 3 games in a row that I had such a good time with I wanted to look up Trophies I missed to see if I could get them - very memorable. Personally speaking of course.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Monster Hunter World. Honestly, this game blew away all expectations and continues to deliver to this day. With the more recent updates with incredibly spectacular sequences with Safi'jiiva and Raging Brachydios, I can't wait to see what they have in store for next gen. World at launch was a jaw dropping and incredible experience, yet since then, they've taken it so far as to where World's original content looks so tame. They just keep one upping themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Playing BotW and getting absolutely absorbed in it.
Rocket League looking like one of those PS+ games where you want Knack instead, but then everybody played it and realized it's really good.
Uncharted 4's ending.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Getting the better of Father G (Bloodborne).
Kratos getting his blades back.
Getting a 16-0 win in Star Wars Battlefront multiplayer(I'm terrible at multiplayer shooters,this was a hilarious fluke).
Nier Automata's credits.
The Last Guardian.
Winning six races on the spin in Driveclub's multiplayer.
Arthur's final ride (RDR2).
Uncharted 4,the jeep chase and Libertalia.
Death Stranding's journey to Port Knot City.
Spider-Man's opening and getting control of him for the first time.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
the first time i took my Switch off the dock and i was instantly on BOTW again just looking above Hateno Tower... just mind blowing.

now, in game specific, def THAT moment in God of War, the greatest comeback of the gaming industry. i still to this day can't believe the successful reboot the saga went and how amazing it is. just a awe inspiring game.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Kratos' defining moment in god of war(2018) mid way into the game.

Also re2 remake becoming a reality

Jan 21, 2019
God of War

The lead up had so many people bitching about how God of War became a daddy simulator movie like The Last of Us only for the reviews to start hitting a week before release because Sony was so damn confident that this game would shine brighter than the sun.

I also was able to use God of War and Red Dead Redemption in my final paper at University which got the best grade. But that's a personal anecdote.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
What do you mean by "controversy"? Watchdogs was downgraded and was not the only one. Ubisoft was riding the bullshot wave early this gen.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
When the ps4 was revealed and everyone was so busy laughing at the joke against microsoft and sony showing how to share used games with each other, they didnt notice the part about needing ps plus to play online. Then when people who did notice said so, everyone was calling them crazy.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
- E3 2015: Shenmue III, FF VII Remake, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4.
- E3 2016: Horizon, God of War, Crash Bandicoot, Death Stranding, Spider-Man.
- PSX 2016: THE LAST OF US PART II announcement.
- Cory Barlog's reaction to the God of War reviews.
- The general response to Astro Bot being called VR's "Mario 64 moment".

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 reigniting my interest in gaming when it was fading

Bloodborne justifying my PS4 purchase after being disappointed by Uncharted 4. (I bought the Uncharted 4 bundle)

Exploring in Breath of the Wild

Persona 5's SOUNDTRACK

Last edited:

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
The Xbox One Reveal being a colossal trainwreck that cost them the lead this gen.
Sony E3 2015
Capcom's rebound

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
So many great games but as far as moments I will always like and defend the moment(s) No Man's Sky had. It is one of the great stories of this gen.

I personally liked the game from day 1 for what is was, but I understand the promises made in some things were too much. Even then this game has been supported and updated so much for free it is amazing.

I love the game and have played like 50 hours of it every new patch. It was and it is flawed in some things but the flaws are small vs the overall experience IMO.

FlamingChibi

Jan 10, 2018
-Playing the opening section of God of War. I knew at that point that it was going to be something special.-
-The launch trailer for Breath of the Wild, still get chills to this day
-Playing breath of the wild on launch day and exploring every inch of the great plateau in absolute awe
-Being overwhelmingly disappointed in Fallout 4 after weeks of hype

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The music and the feeling of true, organic, self-discovered exploration in Breath of the Wild. I don't think I'll ever have that feeling in a game until the next "open air" game releases.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the times I had to down a massive patch to play the game I wanted.

Oh, and all the times my Xbox lied to me and told me that my game was 'ready to play' when it wasn't.

Jan 21, 2019
More great memories.

Staying up late for the American midnight release of Bloodborne so I can play it half a day earlier. Starting at 6 in the morning and playing the game until 11 crashing into Gascogne and forcing myself to go to sleep because of an appointment later that day.