• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Journey and that's about it. It's flawless IMO, something I can't say even about my other favorite modern games.

Oct 27, 2017
Smash Bros Ultimate, Portal 2, and Subnautica.

Elden Ring and the 2018 GoW come very close, but I have a few lingering issues with those games.

Space

Aug 16, 2018
I know a lot of people have said it but I'm playing through Breath of the Wild again right now and it's pretty close, it's magical, it's a classic Disney cartoon come to life, and I think it's a masterpiece.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily my favourite, but by the definition of 'perfect', I find it very hard to top Portal 2.

There are games I do like better, such as Elden Ring for a common example, but I can pinpoint dozens of flaws or issues I have with the game.

I really can't say anything bad about Portal 2. It's a perfectly crafted videogame.

Not sure what else I would consider. Maybe God of War?

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Control, i can't think of a single bad thing to say about that game, it was my goty for 2019 by a wide margin.

And the witcher 3, my favorite game of all time, i know a lot of people hate the combat but i am one of those weirdos that love it.

Doom 2016, doom perfected, shame about eternal.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
RE2 Remake, RE3 Remake, RE7, and RE8 were all close to perfect imo.

Capcom is on such a roll lately.

bingy

Jun 24, 2021
Breath of the Wild
Celeste
Spider-Man
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Sonic Mania (I guess this counts as modern)

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne. It's ruined video games for me. Well, not totally. But my expectations are now just so high with what a video game can possibly be because of Bloodborne.

Oct 28, 2017
This thread has been about for a while and I've thought about it a lot. In the end I have to say that I can't think of a single one. There is not one game out there where there isn't something about it I dislike. Not one. Not in any of my GOAT's. RE4? Shitty sliding puzzle. Steins Gate? Have to use a guide to get the true end. Celeste? Locks content behind collectibles I have to use a guide to find. Rocket League? Bad default settings and toxic community. Life is Strange? Disappointing last chapter. Sekiro? Last optional boss is awful and sometimes the game makes certain things hidden/obtuse for no reason. Outer Wilds? Puzzle to get to the endgame was poor and the endgame itself was disappointing.

It just goes on. There's something wrong with everything. I'm waiting for someone here to post one where I can go OH ACTUALLY THAT ONE IS RIGHT! I will keep an eye and attempt to be hopeful.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Probably dark souls. Before that...maybe diablo 2. Don't think any game is perfect, but those are as close as it gets

Oct 31, 2017
Breath of the Wild

Super Mario 3D World

Mario Kart 8

The Last of Us (and I'd include its sequel too, but it lacking multiplayer takes it down a peg from the original for me, despite absolutely loving it otherwise)

Rocket League

DOOM Eternal

Elden Ring, aside from its unfortunate performance issues. If they could really iron out some things, like the pop-in and just make it more overall consistent (on PS5), then it'd really be damn near flawless for me.

Red Dead Redemption II

These are the games in the last ten+ years or so that literally "wowed" me with their quality and how well they appeal to my personal tastes.

The Wii U is probably the most underrated console hardware ever IMO.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Tell me Project Gotham Racing 2 wasn't perfect. Tell me!

Well it was 30fps :P

I don't think perfect means much anyway. A game can be perfect in regards to what it sets out to achieve; the less ambitious it is, the lower the chances it messes up somewhere.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I'll list some games released in this millenium for a modern take.

Metroid Prime: it is just perfect, from the beginning to the last breath of Metroid Prime.

Tlou 2: one of my favourite pieces of media ever created. I'll never understand how some people can hate such a masterpiece. Incredible game.

RDR2: my favourite game of all time. And for me it is just perfect.

Smash Bros Ultimate: the pinnacle of the series. Don't know where it could be improved.

Alien Isolation: one of the most polished, tense and athmospheric games i have ever played. Some will say it is too long, but no, it is perfect as it is. Best horror game of all time, beating out RE1 Remake.

MK11 Ultimate: this is a weird one maybe. Couldn't get into MK9 or MKX for that matter. MK11 Ultimate i could play all day long and never get bored. Brought me back to the franchise i thought sucked. Singleplayer content is nuts and multiplayer (online) works flawless on my end. Losing hurts sometimes though:)

Super Street Fighter 4: best fighting game of all time for me. It's perfect.

Streets if Rage 4: someone rightfully brought this game up to the table in this thread. 100% agree.

Mario Kart 8: perfect lokal multiplayer fun. It's just so fun.

Most perfect game: Metroid Prime.

capybara-dive

Nov 1, 2017
It's been a while so I may be viewing it with rose colored glasses, but I remember having this feeling with Batman Arkham Asylum

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Inside is a really good choice. The Witness as well.

To me that would be XCOM 2 WotC and Into the Breach. Both really go all in and pretty much explore everything their gameplay loops have to offer. Into the Breach in particular has a really unique way to approach turn-based strategy and it does a lot with this simple yet brilliant idea. It's my favourite pick up and play game.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Tell me your were born in the late 90s without telling me you were born in the late 90s

😂😂😂 damn, you got me. '95

I may have gone slightly overboard with my list, but genuinely great games that do what they set out to do. Some do have flaws, but they can still be close to perfect.

Oh well it's good to be positive 😛

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Streets of Rage was perfect. I'll also say that Monster Boy and the cursed kingdom was perfect for me too.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Besides the ones I've seen mentioned in here already:

Hollow Knight

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half Life 2, MGS3, COD:MW1, Elden Ring, Yakuza 0 and probably Disco Elysium.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us, Inside, What Remains of Edith Finch, Return of the Obra Dinn, Bloodborne
On top of my head, not necessarily my top best games, but games I wouldn't change a thing, I think they are flawless in their proposal and execution, I am probably missing some others

Sly

May 11, 2018
Here's my personal list:

Inside, The Witness, Rocket League (is 2015 modern enough?) , SM Odyssey, Outer Wilds (and Outer Wilds EotE), GoW 2018, BotW, RE2 Remake, The Last Guardian (very controversial, I know), Tunic, Returnal, FH5. All those games (some nearly) perfected what they were trying to accomplish imho.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Galaxy 1, Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Generations, Sonic Mania and Bayonetta 2 sure are perfection for me.

Others near perfection with some buts are Persona 5 (not perfect because of LGBTIfobic content), Shin Megami Tensei V (poor story), Breath of the Wild (I think the game can technically run better on the Switch), Kid Icarus (poor controls) and Metroid Dread (poor soundtrack).

mario Kart 8 deluxe could have been perfect, but some of the newly added tracks dont have the same quality, the game is not perfect any more

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Probably not a full list, but games I can think so far are...

Journey
Threes!
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 1
Hearthstone, though that one varies up and down depending on the active expansion.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Celeste and The Witness come to mind first, although there are a bunch that I'd probably say are subjective 10/10s for me. Celeste was a triumph on every level, and The Witness surprised me in ways that I wish I could forget and experience again for the first time.
Yeah, agreed. All "perfect" games are indies with a clear scope. Inside and Obra Dinn are also definitely also among them.

Curiously, The Witness, Inside and Obra Dinn are the only games my non-gamer girlfriend really got into.

POOPLE

Aug 5, 2021
The Republic of Gamers
The only time i have played a game and come away without even a single criticism is Spelunky, there is literally nothing i could think of. Spelunky is just such supremely well made game that i didn't even think you could make a sequel that expanded upon what was already there in a meaningful capacity. which is true, since a lot of what Spelunky 2 was just more Spelunky with a lot new content. Even if Spelunky is not my favorite game/roguelike, I feel like it is the closest thing to a flawless game.

Oct 30, 2017
In the last 5 years these games are 10\10 in my book:

Red_Dead_Redemption_II.jpg
Dragon_Quest_XI_cover_art.jpg
Resident_Evil_2_Remake.jpg
FFVIIRemake.png
Demons_Souls_remake_cover_art.jpg
Elden_Ring_Box_art.jpg

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
None this gen so far. I think the closest might be SoR4 for me. Executes its vision perfectly without much fluff(which I find an important trait in games that I deem as "perfect"

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
On top of Streets of Rage 4 and Disco Elysium, I'd definitely add Into the Breach to my shortlist. Yet another game that succeeds really well at what it tries to do, and really brings something new to the 'turn-based on a grid' genre.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
This thread made me reinstall Celeste again, god almighty it's so good. It does so much with its very limited mechanics, and you're always learning something new on every single level.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Celeste and Super Mario Odyssey are the only two that come close-ish to "perfect". And even those I could pick apart smaller things that are opportunities.