• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
I've been putting off getting into lengthy or heavy films, TV miniseries, etc. because I never had the time or ability to get into the mindspace. Now with the lockdown happening pretty much everywhere around the world, what are some works that finally is getting your attention?

I plan on watching Dekalog, a 10-part TV series about the Ten Commandments by Krzysztof Kieślowski (Colors Trilogy). I'm also finally finishing my DVD set of I, Claudius, a 12-part BBC miniseries that I started watching over 2 years ago. Also in the docket is Eight Hours Don't Make a Day, a 8-part miniseries by Rainer Werner Fassbinder. I kept passing them up at the library because of the time commitment, but I went on a borrowing spree when the library announced it was closing last week.

On the games front, I'm going to try tackling Final Fantasy X in the upcoming days. I've never stuck with a Final Fantasy game to the end but now's the time if ever. I might even pick up The Witcher 3 if this crisis keeps stretching on (it probably will).

So what are some works that you've put off due to lack of time but now are giving them the (abundant) time of day?

*Sorry for any insensitivity towards folks who are still working and/or affected economically by the crisis. This shit suuuucks but /art & media are one of the only things I have to lean on at the moment.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm going to marathon LOTR extended editions. Only seen the theatrical versions before.

Gonna try to work on my backlog, lord knows it's been building up for this moment. Maybe get through all of the Souls games.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finally started Queer Eye and an Animal Crossing game.

Fell in love with QE immediately (Tan is my boy) and it is making me want to become a better person, even if I get banned here sometimes for being a troll.

I don't own a Switch, but I tried AC: New Leaf and it is kinda starting to click? It reminds me of a mobile game, but I needed a good mobile game after Marvel: Future Fight dropped the ball with the last update.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Finally started Season 3 of Babylon Berlin. Enjoyed the first episode, some fun music, seeing the characters again, and setting up a murder mystery. Also I think my german has come on a lot (been studying it about a year) since I watched season 1 and 2. I think my plan is to watch each episode once with english subtitles, then again with german.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
I'm going to marathon LOTR extended editions. Only seen the theatrical versions before.

As I recall (it's been years), the Faramir arc in Two Towers is helped a lot by the extra footage. Coming out of the theater, I was really upset by the changes they made to the book. But with the extra content, they do a better job of justifying it with his relationship with Denethor.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Been putting off reading N.K Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy:

N.-K.-Jemisin-Broken-Earth-Trilogy-Featured-Image.png

Now's the perfect time to jump in.

Dec 25, 2018
Before social distancing I had just finished watching Ghost in the Shell SAC 1st gig over a period of 2 months so I might start into 2nd gig, and other GITS media from there (Solid State Society and Arise if not burned out on GITS at that), also have Cowboy Bebop to possibly see through to the end this time (last time I tried binging it I got up to the space trucker episode before other stuff came up).

With comics I've been digging in to some of the recent Halo Comics, have some Darth Vaders and some IDW Transformers picked up in sales to dig into as well.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately I don't really have more free time since I'm a student and we've just moved to remote classes...

My partner and I finally watched the BBC Pride and Prejudice mini-series. I had never watched the full thing, and this was his first exposure to the story besides a Wishbone episode. We had so much fun! We accompanied our viewing with the Waypoint rewatch. One step closer to making him dress up like Mr. Darcy...

Been putting off reading N.K Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy:

Now's the perfect time to jump in.
Have you read any of her other work? You are in for treat!

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As a disabled person with somewhat limited movement based on how it affects my issue (extended walking or time on my feet is just as likely to cause clots as being immobile, and my legs are basically shot from the amount of vein damage caused by the clotting and the blockage it leaves behind) my time allowance hasn't changed at all so from that perspective nothing has changed.

What I have noticed and it can be a benefit even for me is how the industries are responding, ie, in theater movies for rentals, and subscription services both retriggering/extending trials and holding back less content and pushing up new arrivals, so if there are any bright spots in this they are definitely entertainment related.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Unfortunately I don't really have more free time since I'm a student and we've just moved to remote classes...

My partner and I finally watched the BBC Pride and Prejudice mini-series. I had never watched the full thing, and this was his first exposure to the story besides a Wishbone episode. We had so much fun! One step closer to making him dress up like Mr. Darcy...

Have you read any of her other work? You are in for treat!
I read The Killing Moon when it first released and really enjoyed it, but I never got around to reading The Shadowed Sun, so I'm looking to rectify that by rereading The Killing Moon and completing the duology after The Broken Earth Trilogy. I'll be binging N.K Jemisin's books for a good few months.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I read The Killing Moon when it first released and really enjoyed it, but I never got around to reading The Shadowed Sun, so I'm looking to rectify that by rereading The Killing Moon and completing the duology after The Broken Earth Trilogy. I'll be binging N.K Jemisin's books for a good few months.
Nice! I haven't read The Killing Moon yet, but I read her Inheritance Trilogy. People don't seem to like that one as much as The Broken Earth, but I thought it did a good job of creating a classical mythology (and all the fucked up drama that entails) as well as showcasing how empires stay in power.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
After only watching 3 or 4 episodes of HAVEN a few years back...my father tells me the other night after I asked him what he has been watching During lock down

"Oh HAVEN....this weird shoe on Netflix, it's fun"

So I was like oh yeah I remember that show.....so I went back and started to watch it again mid season one and....now I'm almost up to season 3, I'm hooked and it's the perfect fun show for lock down.