• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Note, this is not a thread about what art impacted you the most or what you like the most. To me iconic means that it is almost larger than the medium or the format and will still resonate with a large group of people many years after the fact. It doesn't always have to be super popular, the first Bladerunner was not that popular and yet it was and remains very iconic (imo).

I started this thread because I was struggling to think of musicians that are going to be as iconic as the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Michael Jackson, etc. 20+ years from now. Kayne could be that guy and maybe Beyonce, but who else is going to resonate and be played as classical music in Amazon stores 2-3 decades from now? I am kind of scared that Kim Kardashian might be seen as the icon of this time period instead of a real artist.

I think the piece of media from the past 20 years that clearly jumps out to me is Harry Potter. The books and the movies have been incredibly iconic and probably defined the childhood for millions of kids around the world. Television seems to be almost more culturally important than movies now and I wonder if instead of Scarface or Star Wars the real iconic media in 20 years will be Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad.

It is a lot harder to pick something from vidoegames because outside of Nintendo it seems most properties don't age as well. I think Grand Theft Auto is clearly iconic but I wonder if Halo is going to be seen as iconic, which is strange because Halo 2 and 3 were absolute monsters in America. For whatever reason a lot of games just don't seem to continue to resonate past a certain period of time.

In sports I think LeBron/Kobe will continue to be icons 20 years from now and will remain important in basketball and outside of it as well. I hope Kaepernick is seen as the most important athlete of this century but I have my doubts that he will age well (not because of Kaep, just because people suck) and might just be forgotten.

I also wonder in addition to Kim how many other social media/youtube personalities are going to be seen as icons of this time period.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I think Lin Manuel Miranda qualifies, if not Hamilton itself.
Tiger and Serena from sports I think.
Yeah Tiger and Serena are already icons and will remain that way in the decades to come. Tiger was definitely bigger than golf and Serena was pretty close to being bigger than women's tennis.

I don't know enough about broadway to comment about Hamilton or Miranda but I suspect that you are right.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's harder for stuff to stay in the limelite for as long as stuff needs to become iconic, just because we live in a world where there is SO MUCH media that it's basically impossible to ever keep up with it. Like, If you had asked me a few years ago, I would have said the Hunger Games- but the Hunger Games feels like it's been gone from the collective conciousness for such a long time!
Hamilton will probably last forever at this point- especially when it gets new life when the recording of the original cast comes to theaters or Netflix at some point

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charli XCX.

She is shaping pop music and also has collaborated with a lot of up and coming Queer artists. She will be an icon for years to come and will only grow stronger with age.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Taylor Swift, 1975 or Florence an icon now? I don't see how they will remain iconic in 20 years.

Lady Gaga probably is and if she was not the movie probably took her there.

There are plenty of artists who were overlooked for their time, but gain more sales and fans over time. I think Florence and the 1975 stand to be those types of influences. Taylor Swift isn't even 30 yet and she has one of the biggest media careers of all time. She'll stand the test of time, easily.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
You kind of summed up my own thoughts, OP.

The only one I'm 110% confident about is Harry Potter. But even that was first released 21 years ago. It's already part of the "classics", not a modern piece of media.

Everything else feels completely up in the air.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
There are plenty of artists who were overlooked for their time, but gain more sales and fans over time. I think Florence and the 1975 stand to be those types of influences. Taylor Swift isn't even 30 yet and she has one of the biggest media careers of all time. She'll stand the test of time, easily.
I am old so correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Swift mostly appeal to younger girls?

That shit does not age well at all unless the artist is able to pivot and reinvent themselves.

She has to pull a Madonna to become an icon IMO. But time will tell.

You kind of summed up my own thoughts, OP.

The only one I'm 110% confident about is Harry Potter. But even that was first released 21 years ago. It's already part of the "classics", not a modern piece of media.

Everything else feels completely up in the air.
Yeah Harry Potter is a little past 20 years, but I put it in because they kept making movies through the 2000s.

I thought it would be cool to try and guess what/who would be iconic in 20 years from all forms of media and entertainment.

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
In sports I think LeBron/Kobe will continue to be icons 20 years from now and will remain important in basketball and outside of it as well. I hope Kaepernick is seen as the most important athlete of this century but I have my doubts that he will age well (not because of Kaep, just because people suck) and might just be forgotten.
I'd put Steph Curry on this list. He's likely changed the game of basketball more drastically than Lebron has. I've seen more kids at the park shooting from deep since he and Golden State started their run.

I'd argue Kaep's not going to be considered an icon because he didn't protest until long after he started floundering as a QB.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TBH, I don't see Florence or 1975 doing much currently in terms of innovating or becoming near iconic status. Florence comes across as more of the same each time she releases an album, not to say it's bad, but she hasn't done anything defining that would put her on that level. And 1975 are a young group, and while the newest album is very good, their reach is limited.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
They were both already iconic.

Everyone has known who Spiderman and Superman were for the past 50+ years.

I'm talking about the specific film enterprises, not the companies as a whole. And most of the MCU is built off what used to be B and C listers anyway.

The MCU is the codifier of the cinematic universe, which has helped propel it to cultural zeitgeist status. In contrast, the DCCU (specifically MoS to JL) is a documented journey of how not to respond and course correct, with BvS in particular being a unique film that transcends its medium.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Curry is already iconic on the court. It's always hard to see legacy after they are done being dominant because it is really hard to stay relevant once you stop being great. Kobe made it look easy but it is definitely not.

Don't see how on earth Frank Ocean could be seen as iconic.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Definitely agree with "Harry Potter".

I think we should throw "Pokemon" in this conversation. It was already a massively successful global franchise but Pokemon Go really expanded the awareness of the brand to an even larger audience.

I go back and forth on things like The Simpsons and Spongebob. I think they are iconic but I do not know the exact reach of their legacy globally.

It is hard to predict the legacy of athletes. I'd say for the sport of basketball, globally Yao Ming is as influential as anyone (even Lebron) , but when was the last time anyone has actually seen/thought of him?

see5harp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's hard to say what is iconic. If you told me 18 years ago I'd have said Radiohead. But now I'm not so sure. Modern audiences don't seem to care. On the other hand, I think there's an argument to be said about "who gives a fuck" what the mainstream cares about. it's pretty rare that the biggest and most popular thing is also considered by critics and fans as the "best thing" in any given era.

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017

I think we should throw "Pokemon" in this conversation. It was already a massively successful global franchise but Pokemon Go really expanded the awareness of the brand to an even larger audience.

I go back and forth on things like The Simpsons and Spongebob. I think they are iconic but I do not know the exact reach of their legacy globally.

It is hard to predict the legacy of athletes. I'd say for the sport of basketball, globally Yao Ming is as influential as anyone (even Lebron) , but when was the last time anyone has actually seen/thought of him?
Chappelle is no Eddie Murphy (saying that as a huge fan). Chapelle Show came and went.

Pokemon is definitely iconic but I think that was a 90s thing.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I completely agree with Harry Potter, it's already a classic imo.

For sure. The largest media franchise in history isn't going to just disappear and be forgotten.

In September I moved back to the US after teaching in South Korea for the past 4 years, my students there definitely know who Spongebob and the gang are.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
People will still be buying Beyonce and Tswift albums in 2030.

Iron Man and The Dark Knight will be looked back on as fondly as Donner's Superman.

The Wire and Breaking Bad will still be the GOATS.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Jack White will be the last rock figure that generations after will look up to.
Mainstream rock was was in a pretty stale spot in 2001, when The White Stripes and The Strokes hit it big and rebooted everything. Who's to say we won't have a pleasant surprise at the turn of the next decade.

Oh god, are the White Stripes going to have their own Greta Van Fleet in ten years
Let's save that suffering for when it comes.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Brady will be the icon of cheating 20 years from now.

Also this is a thread admitting you an old bionic77

OP
OP
bionic77

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
People will still be buying Beyonce and Tswift albums in 2030.

Iron Man and The Dark Knight will be looked back on as fondly as Donner's Superman.

The Wire and Breaking Bad will still be the GOATS.
I really doubt Taylor Swift is going to have lasting appeal. What is the difference before Swift and any other boy band or Madonna ripoff before her? Once her fans grow up they will move on like every other pop band before her.

And I disagree on Iron Man. I already think people have largely moved on from that movie. Definitely not like Superman (though there were less movies back then). Superman was just on another level.

Dark Knight might get there, but it is hard to predict that.

Agree with you on the Wire and Breaking Bad will be iconic. Though we could be wrong on that.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Beyonce, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar are locks.

All the alt kids will be into Frank Ocean though