• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
Anyone who believes that society is fine and that there are no issues to resolve.

c4jt321.jpg

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Beyond the obligatory bigotry and facist stuff, people who gatekeep music or look down on whole sub genres or genres of music, ie "nu-metal is not Metal" "can't spell rap without crap" "Listen to everything but country" along with a heavy dose of "back in my day we had real music today its just-insert music popular with kids-trash". It's shit and it just makes you look like a close minded asshole.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
"Defense Force". I get it, you don't even have any arguments or don't want to argue, you just want to place everyone who doesn't share your viewpoint into one strawman character.
But this is more about a person's opinion on a certain topic, not generally.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Defense Force". I get it, you don't even have any arguments or don't want to argue, you just want to place everyone who doesn't share your viewpoint into one strawman character.
But this is more about a person's opinion on a certain topic, not generally.
I saw that and your so not wrong. I only haven't posted in that thread becaus what I have to say on that issue would get me banned. Suffice to say era is mostly only progressive when it's issues that matter to middle to upper white collar white straight males. Anything else and it gets real conservative here real fucking quick.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the big one for me is if someone fails to update their opinion/perspective based on new information.

Like, I have a ton of information blind-spots, so its rare for me to be able to correct somebody, but when I do, and that person just goes back to spouting their same incorrect information a few seconds later, that's when I know they aren't interested in learning, they just want to regurgitate their same favourite talking points over and over.

A specific UK example would be a lot of farmers who vote(d) Tory and supported Brexit back in 2016.
Like, voting that way in the past doesn't specifically make you a moron, just someone who didn't pay attention and was mis-lead by spin and lies. Fair enough, it happens (and people on this forum fall for spin and lies about new games every single week!).
But if those same people are still supporting Brexit and the Tory party today, after everything that's happened, that has specifically impacted them in a very real and obvious way right now, then that means they are either incapable or unwilling to process new information that does not fit exactly with their world-view.
Which makes them an intellectual puddle.

(Fortunately most of the farmers I do know either never supported it in the first place, or have changed their minds now).

This is a really good one.

We all occasionally get something wrong through ignorance, make a poor decision based on misinformation or whatever - human nature. But then to be totally unable to change your views or opinions in the future when you've been demonstrably proved incorrect, to simply double down on your previous ignorance; thats concerning to me.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Never being able to see something from other people's perspective/detach themselves from what they identify with. It can go from political/bigoted stuff ("Woman's day? But I'm a dude, so where is the men's day? Racism? Well, I'm white, so what about white people? When is straight pride?" ) to fandoms taking critique as a personal attacks.

Astrology, at least if they are serious about it and not just for fun. I can't.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Never being able to see something from other people's perspective/detach themselves from what they identify with. It can go from political/bigoted stuff ("Woman's day? But I'm a dude, so where is the men's day? Racism? Well, I'm white, so what about white people? When is straight pride?" ) to fandoms taking critique as a personal attacks.

Oh god the amount of arguments I had at work back in the day with fairly left leaning people. We don't need a straight white man day, we've nothing to celebrate and have not been oppressed or whatnot for many years as they have (And never in the straight white male area ofc).

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
Using the anonymity of the internet to be a rude and or condescending twat . Even if you're "right" I have no desire to engage.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
People who are quick at bothsiding issues without a deeper thought. I can take a nuanced "X and Y are both bad in different ways" opinion, but not "X is just as evil as Y, A is not really different than Z."

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god the amount of arguments I had at work back in the day with fairly left leaning people. We don't need a straight white man day, we've nothing to celebrate and have not been oppressed or whatnot for many years as they have (And never in the straight white male area ofc).

Regarding international men's day, there is one, the 19th of November, but the people having knee-jerk reactions to March 8 don't care about it. On my timeline at least, it's most often women acknowledging it, praising the men that are important in their lives and mentioning men's issues.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding international men's day, there is one, the 19th of November, but the people having knee-jerk reactions to March 8 don't care about it. On my timeline at least, it's most often women acknowledging it, praising the men that are important in their lives and mentioning men's issues.
Yeah I think I remember seeing it on Facebook probably from people who aren't the knee jerk type. And see lots of things around men's mental health etc. (And stuff like the suicide rate).

But yeah it was more a work thing, worked for quite a progressive company so they let people take on things for certain days which involved promoting LBGT+ stuff and women's rights. I don't get why people got so offended, we just got the odd email promoting it and some stalls and whatnot for those participating. The guy I regularly argued on it about was a good mate, we sat together in a corner for probably a decade, bit of banter, few pints after work and he was left leaning on most stuff but some issues he'd just not get and try and argue against even if didn't harm him.

Kreim

Dec 6, 2017
All the real obvious ones are taken...

How about whataboutism? It's annoying on principle, but in particular the obsession with the USA in geopolitics is ridiculous. I already know the US is evil, but it isn't always the topic at hand. Basically signals you're talking to a brick wall.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
This is a really good one.

We all occasionally get something wrong through ignorance, make a poor decision based on misinformation or whatever - human nature. But then to be totally unable to change your views or opinions in the future when you've been demonstrably proved incorrect, to simply double down on your previous ignorance; thats concerning to me.
Outside of the more obvious bigotry etc, yeah, this. Its a sign of an incredibly fragile ego that someone would rather continue to tie themselves in knots clinging to the indefensible in the face of the obvious, rather than admit that they got it wrong, and have learned something since.

This also works both ways around. I've got more time for people who I know are likely to put their hand up and go 'yeah I called that wrong, I fucked up, sorry.' Plus, if they've contributed to a terrible environment, 'How can I start to fix it'. Its the difference between an opinion adopted for a while that doesn't need to define someone forever, and the problem actually just being that they are a stubborn, unpleasant and fearful individual with an ego the size of the moon.

I mean, I'm in my 40s and learn new shit every day. I'd like to think I'm a little wiser than I used to be. But some people seem to reach adulthood and think they no longer need to learn, change, adapt or educate themselves. So they end up in an increasingly small silo of out-of-touch people, terrified of a world that refuses to stay the way they believed it used to be, without the self-awareness to realise some of the assumptions they made as young adults were built on sand too. Ignorance, fear and bigotry age people quickly. I know people my age who seem to have more in common with my parent's generation in that they just swallow whatever the Hate Mail tells them on their lunch break.

Last edited:

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
when they warp reality and facts to fit their own narrative.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Yeah, I've got a lot of time for a day that's solely about mens mental health, it's a huge issue and one that doesn't get talked about enough due to toxic masculinity. I've got zero time for people bringing up 'why isn't there a mens day' as just raw whataboutism, only brought up as a weapon to tear down representation and awareness efforts elsewhere though.

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
The single biggest red flag for me is antivaxxers.

Being anti-science in general. I had to block and delete my oldest friend on IG because she kept sharing anti-vaxx BS to her stories. The last straw for me was when she posted some stupid right-wing meme conflating pro-choice women and women who aren't anti-vaxx. The meme showed a woman saying something like "Men can't tell us what to do with our bodies!" in one frame and a different woman deciding to be vaccinated against COVID, as if it's some gotcha moment.

Ssyem

Mar 15, 2022
When they can't justify them. I have friends with very different opinions to mine who are able to argue and explain them. I enjoy their company far more than like minded people who don't understand what they're espousing.

Oct 25, 2017
People who stretch out arguments on the internet for the sake of being obtuse. It's worse than simply saying something wrong, its *refusing* to let something go despite having no footing

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
(Not even going to mention actual hate speech and adjacent stuff because that's not really a red flag, it's showing your ass in 8K.)

I'm fine with religious people. Half of my close family is religious and we get along just fine. But when people quote religious texts unironically, my head is outta there. I'm not debating a fucking book and "it's a matter of faith" points.

Oh and specifically in portuguese circles, people who actually believe this country was better under Salazar's Estado Novo rule. "He was so financially responsible! He wasn't as violent as other dictators! He kept us out of WW2!" I just can't with these mofos.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Body of work / red flags. Whether it's offline or online, it's almost always a "where there's smoke, there's fire" situation. One fucked up or dumbass opinion is usually just the one that manages to bubble up to the surface while the rest hide below.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
All the real obvious ones are taken...

How about whataboutism? It's annoying on principle, but in particular the obsession with the USA in geopolitics is ridiculous. I already know the US is evil, but it isn't always the topic at hand. Basically signals you're talking to a brick wall.
It make sense that people in other countries talk about the US when they are involved in like every geopolitical conflict.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
"The Last Jedi is the worst movie of all time" and it's many variants are a quick way to get me to no longer interact with someone. You're free to dislike it, but 'worst of all time' is ridiculous. Actually people saying that about anything where it's objectively not true is a quick way to get me to lose interest in hearing them speak again.

It's really weird seeing lists and arguments about the worst game/movie/tv shows and it's all franchise fare when stuff like Big Rigs and Foodfight exist.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Big ones already covered, but on this forum especially, hyperbole.

Movie, tv show threads, it's THE WORST MOVIE EVER MADE. Or the best series in the history of tv! No shades of grey, things aren't just ok, they're either the greatest thing ever created or the absolute most terrible thing ever created in history. Donald Trump mentality. All or nothing.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Hypocrisy.

"Worker's rights! Human rights! Companies need to treat people better!"

5 minutes later:

"Hmm now I wonder what to buy from Amazon's Prime Day!"
That's kind of bs to me. Pretty much every major corporation exploits and underpays it's employees. You can't boycott them all.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I lose all respect for:
people who lack empathy
people that are really into conspiracy theories
non-adventurous eaters (people that are just picky)
people that have a hard time seeing or respecting art in general
overly macho men

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I knew someone once that thought Aurora was a false flag placed by the government (gee guess exactly who in the government this person was referring to).
"I believe in ghosts."

Aside from the obvious political stuff.

I'm more likely to like someone that believes in ghosts than I am an antivaxxer. Plant sage as much as you want, paint that porch ceiling, fucking throw salt I don't care. But tell me you're a Trump voter and we are DONE.

CBZ

Jul 2, 2022
Anyone who uses the word "woke" without a hint of irony. Also hyperbole, something I actively try to avoid - that's how much I dislike it.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
There's some good ones others have mentioned I agree with (bigotry, conspiracy theories, religious extremism), but one for me I haven't seen mentioned:

Liking the works of Ayn Rand. Every last Rand stan I've ever encountered has been an absolute self-serving asshole - no exceptions.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
In addition to cruelty, saying things that reveal a serious cruel streak, such as when victim blaming.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
Fantasyland-level political talking points. I had a close family member tell me back in 2018 that if democrats re-took congress they would be force us to house illegal immigrants in the apartment we rent out. They said this with total sincerity, and actually a hint of worry in their voice. That was the first political take I had heard that was so bananas I literally had no words for a response.

I instituted a hard and fast rule right there that political talk is banned forever in my house, if you don't live in my house. That's how bad that take was.

I also lose respect for people who give the ol' "both parties are just as bad, voting for democrats doesn't help anything". I get that it's frustrating, and I'm in agreement that far too many democrats are happy with people like Manchin and Sinema just to hold on to a majority. But it is not, I repeat, NOT "just as bad" as when the GOP hold the gavels.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone who loudly states there opinion as facts and acts like you're challenging them if you don't automatically agree with what they are saying.