• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Shoes. I will never understand the people that go for $20 walmart shoes that fall apart quickly. I'm not saying you should spend a crazy amount, but if you invest a little more they last so much longer.

I'm also on my feet for work all day, so I need them to last/be comfortable.

Agree, and I learned this the hard way. I needed work shoes that I didn't care about, so I bought $30 walmart shoes. They lasted one month, and weren't comfortable at all. After that I spend $90 on something better and they lasted 1.5 years, and were actually comfortable.

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
Where does one get good quality shoes? I typically buy Nike/Reebok/Adidas. I don't want to be con'd into buying the same quality shoes at a higher price point

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Peeps are confusing luxury with quality. Luxury is spending $$$$ beyond for no good fucking reason, just because you can and for peace of mind.

Luxury items hold value.

V-Moda is closer to a value brand than luxury.

So you think £220 headphones are an essential then rather than a luxury? Good for you. Maybe they are cheaper in the US but they aren't cheap here.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Agree, and I learned this the hard way. I needed work shoes that I didn't care about, so I bought $30 walmart shoes. They lasted one month, and weren't comfortable at all. After that I spend $90 on something better and they lasted 1.5 years, and were actually comfortable.
Went through the same thing. I recently found my old Walmart shoes and even tho I only wore them a few months they look beat to hell. Also trying them on was like strapping two bricks to my feet. At the time I didn't have my choice as I needed work shoes and had basically zero money. But yeah if you can afford it or when you can afford it, good quality work shoes are worth the money.

As for something else I find worth spending money on; cologne. Personal preference but I prefer to smell really awesome especially since I come into contact with a lot of people at my job. A cheap harsh cologne is like murder on the nose. I judge other guys harshly who walk around in pigpen like clouds of axe body spray. Like, whatchu doin' son?

Coffee maker!

Z46j8ff.jpg

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
So you think £220 headphones are an essential then rather than a luxury? Good for you. Maybe they are cheaper in the US but they aren't cheap here.
I don't mean to be insulting, I just look on the relative scale of headphone costs, within the context of what I usually define as luxury items. As I said in the very post you quoted, let's not confuse smartly paying for quality with extravagantly spending for luxury.

A HiFiMan Susvara is a luxury headphone, by my definition.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Computers, laptops and smartphones. I can't skimp on those items. I won't buy a $2000 MacBook but you won't see me buying a $500 Lenovo either.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't mean to be insulting, I just look on the relative scale of headphone costs, within the context of what I usually define as luxury items. As I said in the very post you quoted, let's not confuse smartly paying for quality with extravagantly spending for luxury.

A HiFiMan Susvara is a luxury headphone, by my definition.

Wow... I don't see a $6,000 pair of headphones as a luxury. I see that as a crazy extravagance. That's like burning money kind of luxury.

Most people I know don't bother to buy headphones that cost more than about £20 or £30. So having a £200+ set, which let's be honest you don't 'need' is to me a luxury.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Last time this topic came up I said Merino toe socks like Injinji Nuwool. Since they are such a niche product you have to pay $15-20 for a pair. I have since switched toquality cotton toe socks and they are 80% as good. I only save the Injinji for actual hiking.

I am sorry I sound like an old man, but I don't have any luxury product I gladly pay extra for.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Wow... I don't see a $6,000 pair of headphones as a luxury. I see that as a crazy extravagance. That's like burning money kind of luxury.

Most people I know don't bother to buy headphones that cost more than about £20 or £30. So having a £200+ set, which let's be honest you don't 'need' is to me a luxury.
That's exactly how I differentiate luxury though. Luxury is literally extravagance, opulence, going to excess just for the peace of mind that you bought the absolute best. Luxury is end game.

I mean I bought a HiFiman SUNDARA a few days ago, after talking myself back from buying something 3.5x as expensive. I decided to go with excellent quality over the luxury of diving off the cliff of diminishing returns for peace of mind. Headphones are my hobby so I can justify any price within reason if my means match up. I just couldn't responsibly and guiltily free purchase that Auteur right now.

Of course we all define the word "luxury" differently. For me it's when you go far beyond obvious quality and dip into the pool of feel good purchases. Where spending an extra $1000 isn't guaranteed to give more than a subtle improvement in the product.

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017
Boots and shoes. I don't buy luxury per se but I don't cheap out either. You get what you pay for with shoes and the cheap ones wear out fast and are uncomfortable.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Good quality jacket. Norwegian winter can be brutal.

Pens such as Montblanc, Sailor, Waterman, Visconti etc. Writing is a hobby of mine.

I don't really like spending money just to spend, as I take it as a bad habit. Stocks and other financial instruments that generate gains over time are my top priorities.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's exactly how I differentiate luxury though. Luxury is literally extravagance, opulence, going to excess just for the peace of mind that you bought the absolute best. Luxury is end game.

I mean I bought a HiFiman SUNDARA a few days ago, after talking myself back from buying something 3.5x as expensive. I decided to go with excellent quality over the luxury of diving off the cliff of diminishing returns for peace of mind. Headphones are my hobby so I can justify any price within reason if my means match up. I just couldn't responsibly and guiltily free purchase that Auteur right now.

Of course we all define the word "luxury" differently. For me it's when you go far beyond obvious quality and dip into the pool of feel good purchases. Where spending an extra $1000 isn't guaranteed to give more than a subtle improvement in the product.

Ah I think we differ there. To me a luxury is anything beyond basic food, water, rent and internet etc. Anything you don't need to live is A luxury. High end audio equipment is of course very luxury, but anything non essential is *a* luxury item, so any headphones apart from bundled free ones are by definition luxury items