• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Spider-Man 2. But after that I can see them doing a new IP. Seems like Sony let's its studios try new things.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure if you could say that Spiderman is a complete departure from their previous games. Insomniac has always excelled doing third person action games that involve combat and exploration. It just so happened that the IP they were working with had been gaining steam and the game itself was released at the peak of Spidey-mania.

I think with the marketing muscle and support of Sony, the creative worlds that Insomniac has constructed just has more funding to flex that marketing muscle and perhaps get a bit more freedom to go truly deep into their own aesthetic as opposed to being focus-group'd to hell (a la Fuse).

Andromeda

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with more Spider-Man from one team and then new IP from their other team(s).
This. They could also re-imagine Resistance instead of a new IP.
Honestly I can't see them spending time making Ratchet and Clank games with Spiderman selling as well as it is. It's not like Spiderman is likely to be a chore to work on either, there's plenty of creative stuff they can do with that series.

I wouldn't be surprise if they work on a new IP, alongside continuing Spiderman as a series. Spiderman likely gives them the leverage to 'make what they want' on the side, and for a lot of studios, what they want to make is a new IP. I wouldn't be surprised if the team are quite bored of Ratchet and Clank at this stage.

With that said, I think there's a Ratchet and Clank game that's in development right now, but if I were to guess that will be the last we see for a while.
Exactly. And that was them who chose to work on Spider-man initialy. I think they have done enough Ratchet and clank games.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
They seem to be pretty efficient at cranking out quality titles in a good time frame. We'll get another Spidey in probably 2 years. And another R&C sooner. And once they're done making those Oculus games, hopefully they will make some PSVR games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised that people want more Ratchet. That seems to be the prevailing opinion in here, actually it seems like SM2 is a no-brainer, and people want a new IP, and many still want more of R&C. I thought people would've been fatigued but the output of titles that have been released over the years.

It's strange how titles such as Halo, GoW, and Gears came to be viewed as stale and same-y and experienced sales slumps but R&C has managed to avoid that fate so far. It really is shocking when you consider how little the series and latest title have changed compared to the franchise initial debut way back in 2002.

Still have my fingers crossed for that new IP though.

Nov 14, 2017
100% it will be Spider-Man 2 and they will also spin up a small team to work on either a new IP or a Ratchet sequel. I never really got into Resistance but would not be opposed seeing that franchise rebooted.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I hope they do a full length Ratchet and Clank as their next game on PS5. After that Spider-Man 2 would be fine but I truly hope their other franchises aren't being benched so they can become a Spider-Man factory.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
I'm genuinely surprised that people want more Ratchet. That seems to be the prevailing opinion in here, actually it seems like SM2 is a no-brainer, and people want a new IP, and many still want more of R&C. I thought people would've been fatigued but the output of titles that have been released over the years.

It's strange how titles such as Halo, GoW, and Gears came to be viewed as stale and same-y and experienced sales slumps but R&C has managed to avoid that fate so far. It really is shocking when you consider how little the series and latest title have changed compared to the franchise initial debut way back in 2002.

Still have my fingers crossed for that new IP though.

Ratchet has managed to innovate and introduce new.elements to the core gameplay loop from the original release and all the way to Into the Nexus. The brand is established as a successful, international IP in a way that few Sony IPs manage. Like it'd be foolish not to expect a new Ratchet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ratchet has managed to innovate and introduce new.elements to the core gameplay loop from the original release and all the way to Into the Nexus. The brand is established as a successful, international IP in a way that few Sony IPs manage. Like it'd be foolish not to expect a new Ratchet.
I don't think Ratchet and Clank as a series has seen any type of drastic gameplay changes aside from Clank and his Zoni puzzles from A Crack in Time. The core gameplay, as good as it is, has remained roughly the same for nearly 17 years. Just my opinion, I don't think much would be lost if they stopped producing the games because much hasn't changed between releases.