• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully not a Ratchet and Clank game. It's a mascot from a bygone era that needs to go the way his brethren like Sly, Crash, Spyro, and Jak have gone. Maybe do remasters if you want but the ip is just not exciting or fresh. Spider-man 2 is inevitable I think as is a VR game of some kind. I'm hoping for a Sunset Remaster to gauge interest on Playstation and a new ip.

R&C remake was their best-selling game before Spider-Man. It's still very viable today.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There will definitely be another SpiderMan and R&C. Who knows what else they have planned. They have 2 teams and the good thing about being aquired by Sony is they have the freedom and funds to explore whatever new IP they want. That Shawn Layden quote doesn't mean what you think it does. It just means those 2 games are currently the most successful this generation for Insomniac so of course they are getting more games.

Me personally i would love to see Insomniac make another Resistance.

Every new one will be exclusive though.

Sony owns all of their current ones anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
There will definitely be another SpiderMan and R&C. Who knows what else they have planned. They have 2 teams and the good thing about being aquired by Sony is they have the freedom and funds to explore whatever new IP they want. That Shawn Layden quote doesn't mean what you think it does. It just means those 2 games are currently the most successful this generation for Insomniac so of course they are getting more games.

Me personally i would love to see Insomniac make another Resistance.

Sony owns all of their current ones anyway.

Me too, but the last one bombed despite being one of the best FPS ever.

Oct 31, 2017
Assuming the license is still valid, and Marvel is happy with it, then I see no reason why they wouldn't do a Spider-man 2 releasing in late 2020/early 2021 or so.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Me too, but the last one bombed despite being one of the best FPS ever.

Do a F2P online version then :)

Really though, despite the last ones reception i still think they should get another chance at it. Sony has brewed some magic with their first party this gen and a new Resistance under current Sony and Insomniac can be something special. Ted Price said he loves FPS and the Resistance franchise so i'm sure he and the team still have plenty of new ideas left.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
A full Ratchet game should be next. It's been nearly 10 years since A Crack in Time. A new trilogy needs to get started.

The reimagining scratched an itch but a full sequel is needed.

Spiderman can wait 2 or 3 years.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't tell if some people are being serious or not in this thread. You don't think that Insomniac had discussions with Sony about what they'd be working on before the buyout took place? If so, then why in the world would they agree to becoming a Spider-Man factory given that right now they work on a bunch of different projects alongside the making of that first game? They're obviously going to work on another Spider-Man game, but there's no way that's all they're going to be doing going forward. The last Ratchet game did super well. They're also one of the most experienced VR studios out there, which is obviously something that'd be appealing to Sony because of PSVR. And then Sony has generally had a lot of success in this generation ad last generation as far as creating new IP's go. There's no reason to box Insomniac in to just doing one game.

Oct 25, 2017
1000% Spider-man. It's why the studio was even bought in the first place lol.

Secondly, more Ratchet, but definitely space between each entry. Those fucking things were yearly and a ton of people just got burned out on it. Having said that, Ratchet PS4 was the fast selling Insomniac game ever before Spidey. So yes, I expect another one. Maybe PS5 launch title?

And I think they are gonna make VR games as well, specifically for PSVR. Insomniac has experience there and have been doing them, so yeah.

Overall, was an amazing purchase for Sony.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Hopefully more than just Spider-Man, the game was excellent but I hate one game one IP studios, kills creativity and we never get to see a studio flex their muscle or get better

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If sony is smart, they'll get more than just Spider-Man. Imagine Insomniac tackling Ironman.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Spiderman 2 built from the ground up with VR compatibility for PSVR2.

Stormland is basically proof of concept for a Spiderman VR traversal system. Can't wait for it.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Greatness.

Most likely Spider-Man 2 and a new R&C game, and i would like to see a new IP from them sometime next gen.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Their not going to be making anything else but licensed games from now on to be quite honest with you. It's just not gonna be worth it to the exec's at Sony.

Yes, because Sony is notorious for forcing their studios to keep working on the same franchise forever...

wait, what?

Anyway, yes there will be Spiderman sequels, but they won't be stuck on it forever. Plus they have two teams, so one can work on Spiderman while the other works on something else.

I fully expect we'll be seeing a new Ratchet & Clank game in the next few years.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon Sunset Overdrive 2. Or at least some whacky game similar to it. I had far more fun with that then I did Spider-Man.

Realistically, they're probably just working on Spider-Man 2 now.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Probably more Spider-Man. Hopefully with much better combat, and added mechanics to the traversal for advanced play. They got low level stuff down, give players more shenanigans to do if they play with some finesse.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Well they will honor any pre-existing agreements and then Spider-Man 2 and 3 built on Marvel's terms. Maybe the Durham studio will crap out a Ratchet title. Maybe Microsoft gives up first right of refusal on Sunset Overdrive 2 and the publishing rights for the first.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see them do another Sunset Overdrive. Also, another attempt at the 8 player coop for Resistance. That was unique and fun as hell.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Realistically, they're going to make a sequel to Spider-Man. After that, who knows, but probably a 3rd Spider-Man game. They made the best Spider-Man game of all time, and they are passionate about the character. It was also a critical and commercial success.

I'm a diehard Ratchet and Clank and Resistance fan, so I'd love to see more games in those series (or at least an HD Remaster collection of the Future Trilogy, and Resistance Trilogy). I'd also love to see a new IP from Insomniac at some point, but I'm more excited at the prospect of a new Spider-Man from them on the PS5. The first was a fantastic springboard to build that universe off of. Fingers crossed for more R&C, as it's one of my favorite Sony IPs, but I certainly won't complain when the inevitable Spider-Man 2 is announced.

EDIT: Also, I completely missed the news that Sony bought Insomniac. Which I always thought was a possibility, but I hadn't been following gaming side much the past few months XD XD.

Last edited:

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
Sony didn't buy them to make Ratchet games. They are the Spiderman studio now.

So assume that they'll release a new Spiderman game every two or three years for infinity.

As it is there has been just one R&C game in the past six years and that was a remake. Even if a new one gets made they will be few and far between.

Soprano

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really can't tell if some people are being serious or not in this thread. You don't think that Insomniac had discussions with Sony about what they'd be working on before the buyout took place? If so, then why in the world would they agree to becoming a Spider-Man factory given that right now they work on a bunch of different projects alongside the making of that first game? They're obviously going to work on another Spider-Man game, but there's no way that's all they're going to be doing going forward. The last Ratchet game did super well. They're also one of the most experienced VR studios out there, which is obviously something that'd be appealing to Sony because of PSVR. And then Sony has generally had a lot of success in this generation ad last generation as far as creating new IP's go. There's no reason to box Insomniac in to just doing one game.

I think most are joking. There's probably a mixture of a troll or two.

You're right. Insomniac has multiple teams and are too diverse in the stuff they make to just only make SM and R&C. They'll be more than that from them.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Something new please. That could get me interested in the company I haven't bought a game from since the original Ratchet & Clank

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Me and the boys when Spider-Man 2 is officially announced.

cover1.jpg

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
My hope is that the financial security that games like Spider-Man bring will allow Insomniac to create smaller teams to work on interesting side projects. I figure it might be a while before we see a big, new AAA IP, but I think some smaller titles (whether they're $40 titles like R&C for PS4, or cheaper indie titles like Song of the Deep) are pretty likely.

Hopefully not a Ratchet and Clank game. It's a mascot from a bygone era that needs to go the way his brethren like Sly, Crash, Spyro, and Jak have gone. Maybe do remasters if you want but the ip is just not exciting or fresh. Spider-man 2 is inevitable I think as is a VR game of some kind. I'm hoping for a Sunset Remaster to gauge interest on Playstation and a new ip.

Even aside from the success of Ratchet on PS4, I'd argue that the series' position as a family-friendly action adventure makes it more important now than ever. There simply isn't a lot of games that fit that description on modern consoles (that aren't made by Nintendo).

Yes to that Sunset remaster, though.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Sony isn't that kind of company. They don't force their teams to work on anything.

If you ask, I'm sure Sony will tell you they don't, and I'm sure the teams will tell you they don't. But we all know teams are going to get nudged toward whatever makes the most money. I mean, I loved Horizon: Zero Dawn to death and I'm super glad Guerrilla Games got to make it, but let's be realistic here. Their main first party output this gen has effectively been:
- God of War 5
- Killzone 4
- Ico 3
- Uncharted 4 and Uncharted 5
- Infamous 3
- Gran Turismo 7
[Insomniac as 3rd party]
- Ratchet and Clank 9
- Spider Man (not exactly a risky new IP)

Plus Evolution making another arcade racer (and getting shut down for their trouble) and Media Molecule making another user-generated content platform - not straight sequels but not deviating from their wheelhouse. And now we're waiting on one new IP (Ghosts) and another sequel (Last of Us 2). And Sony is rumored to be setting up a dedicated Uncharted studio on the Microsoft franchise factory model.

To be super clear, I'm not saying these aren't awesome games. I loved Ratchet and Clank, loved most of Uncharted 4, expect to be blown away by Last of Us 2. I'm just trying to be honest that we can expect teams to continue making safe bets the large majority of the time, whether because they want to please the corporate overlords or because the corporate overlords tell them to directly. So I doubt we see anything new from Insomniac until Spider Man 2, Spider Man 3, and Ratchet and Clank PS5 edition have all hit the shelves. Which is disappointing to me, personally (although I'll probably get the new R&C).

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Im hoping for one of 4 possibillities

1. a new rachet and clank game (safest bet). Either a new game or a remake of going commando

2. They take another stab at Ressistence

3. They do a new sunset overdrive project

4. And heres not by a long shot one. Maybe if still possible inomniac should resurect Overstrike. I dont know the licencing situation for that but it be so damn cool to see what that game would have been.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Insomniac gets to make another new IP during next gen, well if they want but yeah Spiderman 2 has me excited.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Spider Man 2 for sure, but I'm definitely hoping we get one more Ratchet game. Kind of expecting both honestly.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Just give me Spider-Man at 4K 60fps in a 1:1 scaled NYC with shiny graphics and ray tracing.