• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What level of technology do you prefer in your Fantasy RPGs?

• Even a crossbow is pushing it egghead (Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate etc.)

Votes: 37 38.5%
  • Unlike those savages I do enjoy a rare rifle or cannon *tips pinky* (Pillars, Darkest Dungeon)

Votes: 27 28.1%
  • 21st/22nd century tech in an 11th century world i.e. turrets, grenades, robots (Guild Wars 2, WoW)

Votes: 32 33.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Edit: ignore the poll and just talk about your favorite RPG settings lol

So one of the neat things in fantasy WRPGs (and JRPGs I just haven't played much of them hence the lack of examples) is how some of them have 0 firearms and the like and others are more advanced than the modern day in some way (teleporters and other neat gizmos) along with everything in between. The latter still manage to retain the fantasy feel through clever art direction that makes the fantastical seem ancient.

I came across a comment a bit ago where someone was talking about Pillars of Eternity (I'm playing through it now) and they mentioned how they hated how it had firearms. Is anyone here similar? Or at least - which "power level" of technology do you enjoy the most in RPGs.

Poll option 1 looks like this:
latest
(BG1)

Poll option 2 looks like this:

And poll option 3 looks like this:

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Modern day stuff is relatively rare but I very much appreciate it. Like Yakuza or Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines!

edit: And Persona!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
None of those. Where are my modern day or near-future or outright sci-fi/futuristic options?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If I can use a gun in a fantasy rpg, I almost always will. Robots are even better.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
where's the futuristic tech option?
that's kinda in 3, like both WoW and GW2 have mechanical teleporters and whatnot but that's vastly different than something like Elex which is super rare. Maybe I should have said 22nd century.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
oh shit I didn't put fantasy in the title oops

that would explain the confusion at the lack of sci-fi stuff

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
None of those. Where are my modern day or near-future or outright sci-fi/futuristic options?
This. The Shadowrun games by Harebrained Schemes were such a breath of fresh air to me because they combined near future scifi and fantasy. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mass Effect were my go-to RPGs of the previous generation because they were futuristic RPGs, instead of generic fantasy stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I might check out a fantasy RPG with an 1880s-ish setting, but whether I play it depends a lot on the gameplay systems.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Science fiction mixed with magic is the best, imo. But much more future tech than the options listed in the poll.

There are too many basic sword and sorcery fantasy type RPGs for my taste.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sci-fi/fantasy mix. Give me a Phantasy Star or a Shadowrun. Fantasy but there was a futuristic civilization that was destroyed also works.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
This. The Shadowrun games by Harebrained Schemes were such a breath of fresh air to me because they combined near future scifi and fantasy. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mass Effect were my go-to RPGs of the previous generation because they were futuristic RPGs, instead of generic fantasy stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I might check out a fantasy RPG with an 1880s-ish setting, but whether I play it depends a lot on the gameplay systems.

On reflection the "fantasy" constraint was dumb and I regret it. I personally prefer sci-fi but was mainly interested in people's thoughts on more modern technology in games that are still very much "fantasy".

Should have just said setting in general cause that broadens the discussion. Oh well live and learn.

Aug 28, 2019
Go wild, I say. I love fantasy worlds that just cut loose and have fun with whatever they can dream up. If it looks like a Judas Priest album cover, I'm there.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If you're not including giant robots because you can, you're doing it wrong.

Monolith Soft and their never ending love for mecha know where it's at.

Dan_P

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see some modern-day or 1900s fantasy wrpgs, like a Shadow Hearts or Persona, or giving the feeling of a Neil Gaiman story.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
My favourite game of all time is Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Where does that fit in lol

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
I really like them all. From Dragon Quest to Mass Effect. The thing I've wanted for a long time was an old west setting rpg. I think that would be really cool.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love a Fantasy Pirate setting such as in Pillars of Eternity 2, that'd be my ideal I think. Beyond that, i'm fine with either of the other options.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
There aren't enough straight-up galaxy-spanning space RPGs, at least not ones with a traditional RPG main quest.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow at the current even split in the poll. For me, as close to high-fantasy/medieval tech as possible.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Well Arcanum and Pillars are two of my absolute favorites ever so yeah I don't mind the odd gun.

I mean Fallout is also one of my favorites and modern/futuristic guns works really well there too. It really all depends on the implementation, but that kind of transition period between major era's of technology provide so many opportunities outside just having having swords and guns together. Which is kind of why Fallout works really well too since it's a kind of play on that transition coming out of a disaster and technological/societal setback.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I wouldn't want it much later than the 16th/17th centuryish Age of Sail depiction in PoE. That for me was perfect.

Unless you want to go way way into the future and give me a proper 40k-based cRPG.

Also Shadowrun is really cool.

OP
OP

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I wouldn't want it much later than the 16th/17th centuryish Age of Sail depiction in PoE. That for me was perfect.

Unless you want to go way way into the future and give me a proper 40k-based cRPG.

Also Shadowrun is really cool.
I finally know where your icon comes from and damn Eder (missing an accent there somewhere) is great.

Manipular

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
I'm a big fan of fantasy RPGs portraying technological advancement, personally. The whole "our world has existed for countless millennia yet technology hasn't evolved one bit" thing is beyond worn out. You don't have to go full on Sci-Fi but at least give me some Steampunk/magitech.