• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I think I'm honestly going to have to say Days Gone. I've always maintained that Days Gone was a PS5 level game that was forced to run on PS4. Now with the patch it's gone from a bit of a technical mess on PS4 to low key being one of the best next gen showcases available on either console. It's now checkerboard 1800p that runs at 60fps with a stutter here or there while riding. it's literally a night and day difference compared to what I played even on PS4 Pro. Riding at full speed at 60fps with massively reduced popin is a huge upgrade from the PS4 where it stutters and freezes randomly while the world struggled to load in. The hordes, dynamic weather, high end volumetric lighting and native 3D are things you'd expect to see in a next gen open world game. The only shame is they still didn't put in a FoV slider so you're stuck with the same tiny one the PS4 had when you're on foot. Other notable mentions:

- Ghosts of Tsushima's already excellent combat is taken to a new level at 60fps, the fluidity is just beautiful. You actually don't even need to move Jin to see a the upgrade, just looking at the leaves moving around at 60 is a stark upgrade. I'm now sad I platinumed it on PS4 but at least there's still Legends to play,

- Kingdom Hearts 3's huge ass bosses at locked 60fps is impressive. I played it on Series X but the PS5 will run it at locked 60 too just at a slightly lower resolution.

- Ori and the Will of the Wisps's upgrade in fluidity and fidelity was very noticeable. It's not the type of game you'd think would benefit that much but it really does since there's a 120fps mode and also a 6K60fps mode with outrageously clean image quality. I also completely eliminated the random stutters used to get on PC even on SSD.

- Until Dawn going from 25fps to basically 60fps is infinitely nicer to play. Shame it's still locked at 1080p.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dragons Dogma has some improvements and on the Xbox something about its lighting seems far better

toutoune134

Nov 7, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 is incredible on XSX. 4K60fps and short loading time are gamechangers. And according to the DF it isn't even a perfect port, it could be even better.

Storm

Oct 25, 2017
Rock Band 4.

I have 2700 songs. Loading on a One X failed frequently and took upwards of 10 minutes if it worked.
Now it's under a minute to load into Rush's 2112 from the home screen on a complete fresh boot.

I recorded a video of what it's like.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I made a thread early today soley about this but

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts.

Between the 4K facelift and the fast loading times the game is dramatically improved and much more enjoyable than it was when it launched on the 360

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm not sure how Ori and the Will Of The Wisps looked in person on the One X since I never got around to trying it (or the first game for that matter) but that downscaled 6K makes for the cleanest image quality I've ever seen on my C8.

I'm dying to finish Ghosts of Tsushima and Days Gone on my PS5 even if I'm not a fan of Days Gone itself. God of War is going to be one hell of a fun replay, too.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure how Ori and the Will Of The Wisps looked in person on the One X since I never got around to trying it (or the first game for that matter) but that downscaled 6K makes for the cleanest image quality I've ever seen on my C8.

I'm dying to finish Ghosts of Tsushima and Days Gone on my PS5 even if I'm not a fan of Days Gone itself. God of War is going to be one hell of a fun replay, too.

Days Gone isn't the best game but it's definitely worth download. It's free in the PS Plus collection.

Forza Horizon 4 is incredible on XSX. 4K60fps and short loading time are gamechangers. And according to the DF it isn't even a perfect port, it could be even better.

Horizon 4 is a downgrade compared to PC so that was a little disappointing.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen the footage yet, but I gather that the EDF games are basically locked at 60fps on both systems.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I'm not a car guy at all and even less a racing game guy but I've actually been really enjoying FH 4 on GamePass. So smooth.

Personally I have yet to see anything on the XSX that impresses me but I hardly played many of the big games last gen and I also am not buying any, really, just using GamePass Ultimate for now.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone. It feels like a next gen game on PS5. It's equally as impressive as Demon's Souls

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. FH 4 is one of the most impressive games I've played on these consoles, period. Not even just BC games.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Came here to post Ghosts. Didn't like Days Gone and quit about 7 hours in, I'll give it another chance. I'm beginning to wonder if i can play the Souls game now since I felt the framerate always got in my way.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Dead or Alive 6 looks like an HD remake given the boost in framerate. The game looked pretty underwhelmingly close to DoA5 to me when both were set to 60fps before Xbox series X. I didn't play a ton of it, but it definitely made an impression

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't the best example of illustrating the improvement, but it sure does feel nice to be playing GoW at rock solid 60fps. Hope we still get a patch, but it still really looks good on an OLED screen from far enough away. If I was playing on a monitor 2 ft away, I would probably care more.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Sekiro runs a checkerboard 4K (I think) pretty much locked at 60fps on PS5. Been a joy to play.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
FF XIV, mostly because I didn't know what to expect. It looks so clean and the improved frame rate and load times just make it so much nicer to play.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sekiro runs a checkerboard 4K (I think) pretty much locked at 60fps on PS5. Been a joy to play.

Locked 60fps really should have been a priority in Sekiro should have been a priority from the beginning. I can't imagine playing a game like that with the frame rate jumping around for 40-50 constantly.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro's so nice on the Series X now. I thought it was sadly hard to play on the One X due to the unstable framerate, now it's a locked 60 fps at 1800p and looks GREAT. Great companion to Demon's Souls :)

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Nier Automata is a way better experience on my Series X compared to the One X. Playing with VRR, and it's finally smooth as butter. The ruined city after the intro used to exhibit some extremely jarring frame drops on the One X.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Sigh, all year I told myself I would hold off on Ghost of Tsushima and play it on a PS5 instead of my base PS4. But nope, ended up getting the game day 1.

I may have held off if I knew the upgrade was going to be this significant but oh well.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Both Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 look pretty damn stunning on Series X. I was also very impressed with Ninja Gaiden Black. Other than the UI and FMV it still looks very sharp.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
AC Odyssey coming from the One S version to series X. Sub 900p most of the time to 4k is quite nice. Halo 5 also with the auto-HDR.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
FF15

Locked 1080p/60fps, extremely fast load times

Really helps with some of the boring side-quests in the game

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
I'm excited to try Days Gone. Didn't play it before and now have it with PS+ collection.

sounds like it's good I waited.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm excited to try Days Gone. Didn't play it before and now have it with PS+ collection.

Yes. I thought it was pretty incredible on PS4 Pro already, and I can't even imagine it on PS5. I sadly didn't manage to pre order a PS5 yet, but will definitely give it another go when I get one. One of the best first party Sony games this generation imo, much underrated.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Borderlands 3.

Played on the One X and it was ok. BL3 is way more chaotic than the previous titles, so having quick reactions and less latency on shots was a big one. That is until you shift over to resolution mode and it turns amazing very quickly. 4k60 (At least very damn close) means you can bounce around the game and shoot enemies in such a silky way, it makes going back to 30fps impossible. The art-style really suits 4k and being silky smooth also help out greatly.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Battlefield V looks pretty incredible on Series X. Seems like a locked 4k 60fps, with very impressive texture quality in Campaign mode.

Otherwise, Sea of Thieves, Star Wars Battlefront II, Wolfenstien Youngblood, Call of Duty WWII all looked incredibly good, impressively smooth, and seemingly hitting that 4k resolution cap.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Dead or Alive 6 looks like an HD remake given the boost in framerate. The game looked pretty underwhelmingly close to DoA5 to me when both were set to 60fps before Xbox series X. I didn't play a ton of it, but it definitely made an impression

Yeah, don't sleep on DOA6. Stick it in resolution mode (4K) and finally appreciate it at 60fps. Totally smooth and looks sharp as hell.

If you're missing a fighting game at launch then consider DOA6.

OP
OP
leng jai

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yes. I thought it was pretty incredible on PS4 Pro already, and I can't even imagine it on PS5. I sadly didn't manage to pre order a PS5 yet, but will definitely give it another go when I get one. One of the best first party Sony games this generation imo, much underrated.

The PS4 Pro version is absolute cheeks in comparison.

I wish I never played any of these PS4 exclusives. Imagine playing God of War and Ghosts of Tsushim for the first time at locked 60fps.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Probably FFXV for me. I want to give the game another shot now that it does not run like mud. Part of my borderline dislike of the game came from its performance, but I quite liked the main story stuff. I do wish the full bells and whistle modes could be 60fps, but we all won't be surprised at the "definitive edition" as well as others down the line.

Also Ace Combat 7. I played it as my last PS4 game (not a pro) and there was some drops here and there but the visuals and frame rate are really smooth here. I wanna go back to it as well. Special shoutout to the Warriors games as well. They are unoptimized messes on each platform (well thats being harsh) but they run better here with some hitching still but not nearly as bad.

Looking forward to games I did not play though like God of War.

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, don't sleep on DOA6. Stick it in resolution mode (4K) and finally appreciate it at 60fps. Totally smooth and looks sharp as hell.

This is good to hear.
Also dragons dogma and ng black i will have to fire up.
Waiting to get a ps5 for lou2.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Locked 60fps really should have been a priority in Sekiro should have been a priority from the beginning. I can't imagine playing a game like that with the frame rate jumping around for 40-50 constantly.
I played it on Base PS4 at 30 and awful framepacing, wasn't that bad honestly, still easy to parry most attacks. I felt the camera hindered me more than the framerate
But yeah must be nice at 60 on PS5 it's the game I want to try the most.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Cool I'll jump in right away!

Ori and the Will of Wisps is the game that has impressed me the most so far, just looks insane, it's like getting a punch in the face from all the colors, fluidity and clean image.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Cool I'll jump in right away!

It's great because, even on a One X, the resolution mode was basically unplayable before. 30-40 unstable constantly. You had to play at 1080p (I think) to have 60fps. It always felt good but looked terrible IQ wise.

Can now play it looking great.