• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
2016 MacBook Pro w/ touchbar, 15"

It's fine. Given the price I'm generally not that happy with it. But it's still a good piece of hardware, I just think it's too expensive, the touchbar is a useless gimmick and not an improvement on the previous function keys, and there's been a lot of design/hardware defects for a computer that cost like $2800. I was unhappy with how Apple handled the defects with this too, deny, deny, deny, and then the next year release a new model and be like "Oh yeah, we fixed that defect." And then the 2017 model would have some new defect and, again, they'd deny, deny, deny it and then the 2018 model they'd be like "We heard you and we've fixed that defect!"

It's annoying.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
MacBook Air 13" (2010)
MacBook Air 11" (2012)

Replaced the batteries in both last Fall and they are still up to snuff. Going to get a new MB Air later this year now that the absolutely crap butterfly keyboards are gone, not holding out much hope for a new 13" MB Pro with the new keyboard and no touch bar.

How did the battery replacements go? I've been hesitant to replace the one in my Air in case I get a battery that's even worse than my current one.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
How did the battery replacements go? I've been hesitant to replace the one in my Air in case I get a battery that's even worse than my current one.

Super-easy. Ordered both batteries on Amazon (around $30 for the 11", $50 for the 13") and they included the necessary screwdriver to open the case. It's a 5-minute job, tops.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Most people seem to forget this exists. It was really hype up to launch as a lowest cost Surface alternative, but then they kinda fell off.

It's generally a solid deal though you can find older model surface pros for similar prices now. Makes me wonder if that's what killed this since you can get a previous model surface for similar pricing.

Glad you're happy though and we didn't steer you wrong!

What mainly killed it's hype was the year delay from ordering to delivery, approx 65% of the orders were held up. The components supply chain dried up when the big orders came in, they were changing the agreement for asking more money upfront and issues with Paypal funds being frozen.

Eventually they had to partner up with a different supplier so the parts could be paid for and the manufacturing could re-continue. By the time the machine was released, the competition had past them with newer and more affordable models.

Yep, it was touch and go for a while but I got mine eventually and hopefully the Eve team have learnt lessons about how best to avoid such mistakes with their next model.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

I put a new battery in my 2010 MacBook Pro last year and it was super easy. Just popped the back cover off and removed the two screws holding the battery in.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Super-easy. Ordered both batteries on Amazon (around $30 for the 11", $50 for the 13") and they included the necessary screwdriver to open the case. It's a 5-minute job, tops.
I put a new battery in my 2010 MacBook Pro last year and it was super easy. Just popped the back cover off and removed the two screws holding the battery in.

Aye I know the process is easy but how are the batteries themselves? You often see some pretty mixed reviews with some people getting better battery life from their old ones.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Personal: MBP 16in (Core i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM, top-tier graphics card)
Work: MBP 13in (2013 model, 16GB RAM)

Ideally wanting work to upgrade the machine since it's getting older performance-wise, but it works for what I need it to do okay enough. I do programming & some occasional photo/video editing on my personal device, hence why I spec'd it out as such.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Aye I know the process is easy but how are the batteries themselves? You often see some pretty mixed reviews with some people getting better battery life from their old ones.

Gotcha.

The one I bought off Amazon has held up pretty well.

I don't really use the computer anymore (since I got my Thinkpad), but I can get a couple of hours out of it, which is really all I ask for.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017

I get about 4 hours or so off of each one, went with the ones that got decent reviews on Amazon. Both of my original batteries were super-depleted.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha.

The one I bought off Amazon has held up pretty well.

I don't really use the computer anymore (since I got my Thinkpad), but I can get a couple of hours out of it, which is really all I ask for.
I get about 4 hours or so off of each one, went with the ones that got decent reviews on Amazon. Both of my original batteries were super-depleted.

I still get about 4 hours out of mine currently so I will stick with it. Thanks!

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
DELL XPS15, 8th gen i7 processor, 1050ti, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD.

I used to be a Mac guy but I do a lot of video editing and motion graphics and this got me a lot more bang for my buck than a MacBook Pro.

Helios_Hutch

Oct 27, 2017
For work I've got a Macbook Pro 13" w/ touchbar. Does the job I suppose but I'd never pay for one with my own money, soo overpriced.

At home I've got a 17" ASUS GL703GS with i7-8750H, G-sync, 120Hz screen and a 1070. Am always tempted to upgrade to a model with either a 2070/2080 (non Max-Q) but it's hard to justify atm as the 1070 is still plenty powerful enough for gaming at 1080p and I'm regularly pulling in over 60fps in all AAA games at Ultra/High, and less demanding games like FFXIV I'm maxing out the refresh rate of the screen at 120fps.

Oct 25, 2017
2010 MacBook Air 11". 4gb of ram. Massive 64gb ssd. Blazing 1.2ghz core 2 duo.

I'll probably finally bite the bullet and upgrade to a new air. 1.5ghz, 16gb Ram And 256gb ssd.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
2010 MacBook Pro 15"

Hoping it doesn't crap out on me. I rarely used it, but now being unemployed and quarantined, I've been using it everyday.

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Right now I'm using my Late 2011 MBP. It's running okay, but I catch glimpses of gpu degradation here and there. Thinking of ordering a 2019 16", but it looks like it'll take a while for me to get it since it'll come from China (and for obvious reasons, manufacturing is delayed).

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Still rockin' my 2015 MBP (with a 1TB SSD), the last really great laptop Apple made. I don't really have any perf issues for what I do with it. Fuck the touch bar.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
Currently using a small Lenovo. Don't know the model number, but it was cheap, light, and to my surprise had a Geforce chip that was as fast as my desktop (at the time I got it). Strongly recommend if you don't want to spend much but want something small and light. It's smaller than a Macbook Air 13" yet has a similar sized screen (though not quite the same quality).

Drawback is that battery life is nothing amazing, it doesn't charge using USB-C and the fan spins up when working hard. Oh, and "Lenovo Vantage" is installed by default, which isn't horrible but should be uninstalled or disabled as it can come with update popups while watching movies.

i want something fancy but this thing is like a honda
Do as I... I brought my trusty Series 7 on a flight, but packed in the baggage like an idiot. Not sure what I was thinking, but that's was that. Miss that laptop.

UsefulSpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Currently using a ThinkPad P73 as my main, use my X280 as my living room pc that's hooked up to an eGPU, need to order a new wifi antenna for my P71 so it can be useful again.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Work: Lenovo P53. Behemoth of the thing but it's got all the specs I need.

Home: Dell XPS13 2017. Battery life is a bit crap these days but it's still a nice laptop.

cyport

Nov 8, 2017
I have a Razer Blade 15 2019. Opted for the 4K OLED version. Despite that I find myself using my 2018 MacBook Pro more often. Probably because the Razer Blade is more for work (VFX, Real-time motion graphics and Unreal Engine) and the MacBook is mainly used for browsing, emails, web dev work and adobe suite.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I have a Razer Blade 15 2019. Opted for the 4K OLED version. Despite that I find myself using my 2018 MacBook Pro more often. Probably because the Razer Blade is more for work (VFX, Real-time motion graphics and Unreal Engine) and the MacBook is mainly used for browsing, emails, web dev work and adobe suite.
How's the OLED on a laptop? Sounds glorious. No burn-in yet?

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MacBook Air 2020 with the i5 upgrade on its way, looking forward to it after a few year of the 12 inch MacBook with the terrible butterfly keyboard and my iPad. Apple fucked up bad with that keyboard, been waiting years for them to finally fix it.

cyport

Nov 8, 2017
How's the OLED on a laptop? Sounds glorious. No burn-in yet?

I'm impressed with it. The black levels are gorgeous and being a 4k display everything looks sharp and tidy. Colours definitely pop and look vibrant. While it looks fantastic I wouldn't rely on the display for colour accuracy work. My only gripe is the 60Hz display as 120Hz would be next level although it doesn't exist yet as far as I'm aware. There's no burn in either after 6 months.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Asus Zephyrus G gaming laptop that I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

I'd say my macbook Pro as well but that is currently in a country I cannot get to along with all my other belongings and will be for the foreseeable future. Woohoo.

Singher

Apr 10, 2018

How is the computer on the whole? I really want to get the Razer Blade 15 Advanced model to replace my 2014 Macbook Pro 13 inch.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Dell XPS 13 9370, great device all around except that ot fuckig sucks. Wont get a stable wifi connection with random modems. Sleep / Hibernate just doesnt work at all, you never know if it will wake up normally or if it freeze and you will have to restart the shit and lose whatever you had.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Work: Lenovo P53. Behemoth of the thing but it's got all the specs I need.

Home: Dell XPS13 2017. Battery life is a bit crap these days but it's still a nice laptop.

I'm thinking my next laptop purchase will be a refurbished P series, probably in a couple of years when they start to drop in price.

I'm good with my T540p for right now, especially after I get it upgraded.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Dell XPS 13 9370, great device all around except that ot fuckig sucks. Wont get a stable wifi connection with random modems. Sleep / Hibernate just doesnt work at all, you never know if it will wake up normally or if it freeze and you will have to restart the shit and lose whatever you had.
This is a common problem with the xps 13s. The reason is the WiFi card installed sucks. It's worth spending the money to get an Intel card. They're not too expensive.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Asus fx505

asus-tuf-gaming-fx505d-val003t.png

I don't actually use it for gaming much apart from age of empires so probably should have got something cheaper

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Currently using a ThinkPad P73 as my main, use my X280 as my living room pc that's hooked up to an eGPU, need to order a new wifi antenna for my P71 so it can be useful again.

Is the performance good with the egpu and X280? I assume you have it hooked up to a TV. Have you tried it on just the laptop screen? I'm looking to get a new thinkpad soon, so I'm curious.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
thinkpad t440p
got it in the summer last year. only 100 bucks, the thing was basically brand new with a battery that still had 90 percent capacity.
ill most likely upgrade the cpu to a quad core later but for now i just threw in two ssds and bought a mech dock

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
This is a common problem with the xps 13s. The reason is the WiFi card installed sucks. It's worth spending the money to get an Intel card. They're not too expensive.
Yeah, and it sucks that this problem happen in many yearly releases. Like they dont give a fuck. And I heard the wifi card is soldered on mine, could that be true?

It works fine with my router (not with the ISP though) so I am fine for now. But the sleep/hibernate infuriates me, 2020 and I cant use such a basic feature. Therr were many bios updates but the problem persists.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
XPS 15 9560 & Thinkpad X230

9560 had thermal + fan issues until I changed the stock thermal paste to liquid metal and added thermal pads to the VRMs. It's fine now.

UsefulSpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Is the performance good with the egpu and X280? I assume you have it hooked up to a TV. Have you tried it on just the laptop screen? I'm looking to get a new thinkpad soon, so I'm curious.
The Thunderbolt 3 cord is so short I can't really use it was a normal laptop atm. I have it hooked up to the TV so it has the normal overhead associated with Thunderbolt 3 eGPU's. Ran some some benchmarks with it and it scores in between a nice 15W i7 laptop with integrated graphics and a gaming laptop with a hexcore i7-9750H and a 2060. The eGPU being a 1060 6GB.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
currently using Asus Chromebook Flip C434...

using the citrix workspace webapp to remote back to my office PC to work.

Chromebook-Flip-C434-4.jpg

samyy

Oct 25, 2017
I just use an iPad Air 3rd gen was my laptop which works really well since I don't have to use it for any kind of work. As a multimedia, social media machine and a tool for paying bills it does everything I'd use a laptop for.