• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina

Ideally I'd like my next laptop to be a 15" 2015 Macbook Pro Retina, with more memory and a bigger drive.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Got a Samsung Chromebook Plus and Dell Inspiron 7000 series 13" from couple years back. I also have couple of iPads though.

- Samsung is a pretty good device if you are ok with limited capability and can work around that (i.e. you do all your work online). I would go with 8Gb machine and a beefier CPU now days but it is still a very functional device and kids and the wife use it a lot.
- Dell is a nice machine for the price (I got it for about $650 on sale with an i7 and an SSD). I do recommend Dell's Inspiron 7K series and in reality an i7 is probably an overkill now days (i5 8000 series should be fine). I would go for 16GB of RAM now days but 8GB is workable.
- Also have a Surface Pro 3 work machine but i mainly use it for travel VDI and it's an unmanaged machine. I do like the Surface devices. If one needs a tablet I would easily recommend it. Maybe Surface Laptop as well (surface book is nice but overpriced) except Surface Laptop doesn't have enough ports, IMO.

For Work I have a 15" HP Zbook. Meh. I'd rather go with a Dell equivalent.

Edit: Note, the above are work/school (for kids) machines. For gaming advice, go to the gaming side :P.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
17" 2011 MacBook Pro.
16GB ram
500GB SSD + 1TB had

It's probably been turned off no more than 5 full rays in its lifetime. Daily driver for business. Best computer i've Ever owned, all things considered.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
2018 MacBook Pro (13 inch, no Touch Bar)

I've had it for about a month now after transitioning from a Acer laptop from 2015. It was a big investment but so far I'm really happy with this purchase. Having an iPhone made the transition into the Apple ecosystem a bit smoother but I'm loving this thing. As I'm starting to take my design career a bit more seriously, this is already providing the resources I need to take it further.

Last edited:

TheDoctor

Oct 27, 2017
HP ENVY 17 (i7, 16GB, 1TB+256GB SSD)

I also have a first gen Mi Notebook Air (12.5 inch) which I use when I travel for work.

Oct 30, 2017
2018 15-inch macbook pro with 6-core 2.6ghz i7, 16GB of RAM, and R560X.

it's my primary work computer and i mostly use it on a stand on my desk hooked up to an LG ultrafine 4K display, which also works as the laptop charger over USB-C. my gaming PC is under the desk with a g-sync monitor at the other end of the desk L shape.

i get why people have problems with it, but the current macbook pro is basically perfect for my needs. it's super fast, the screen is awesome, and it retroactively makes the LG monitor better by adding true tone. i almost never use the touch bar or even the keyboard. if i'm working on something games-related i can turn 90 degrees to the right and use windows.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
2012 Lenovo X230T running Kubuntu.

It ain't much for gaming, but it does all sorts of other mundane tasks very nicely.

lidmat

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
Haven't bought a computer since 2008. I currently use my work laptop for personal internet browsing, but 95% of my life is off-computer (family, etc.) or work.

For my current work laptop, I have a 2015 Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon.

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy81NDE2L2cvbGVub3ZvLXRoaW5rcGFkLXQ0ODAtMDAxLmpwZw==

Running Ubuntu 18.10

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Newest 13" non-TB Macbook Pro, have had it for some months now. Been fantastic so far and as long as the keyboard doesn't crap out, I can see myself using it for years to come.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Need a new one,have a 17" XPS that's slowing down real good. Anyone have suggestions for a decent 17"? Used mainly for movies,web browsing,something around $1000. Been eyeballing Asus but never owned one.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
After a year of delays and worrying if the product was real, I finally received my Eve V i7 528tb laptop.
Had been using a 10 year old Toshiba up till very recently.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I'm actually going to buy new one. I have used Dell XPS 13" for ages now and I'm considering buying another one. But I also wondering if I should go Surface road, or company switched to Office 365 and I was wondering if Surface have some benfits over XPS when it comes to 365?

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
15" Dell XPS with a 4k touchscreen, GTX1050, 1TB SSD and 32GB of RAM that work provided but I leave it at work and at home I use my 2013 13" MacBook Pro which is still doing a fantastic job given its age.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
I have a Medion Erazer (17", i5, 8GB RAM, GTX950M, 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD). Got it dirt cheap during a sale. Not much good for gaming outside of retro stuff or low requirement indies, so I mostly use it for internet stuff and media playback while lazing around on my bed.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I actually just bought two new laptops recently, the first was a Lenovo Ideapad which was pretty much prefect for what I needed. Well, except it had the worse image retention I had seen. I could open up chrome and within 5 seconds the address bar and my favourite icons where burned onto the screen. The only was to remove it was with an all white image or turning the thing off and on.

I got rid of that pretty quick.

Settled on an Acer Swift 3, specs below:

i5-8250U
14" 1080 IPS screen
8GB RAM
256 SSD

u_10180997.jpg

I think the Lenovo lappy was probably a better, more modern looking laptop however I'm glad I switched, the keyboard & trackpad on the Acer are miles ahead.

Knugen

Avenger
Nov 30, 2017
Sweden
Still using my Surface Pro 3 i5 4GB model. Still works fine except for the battery(lasts around 2-3 hours depending on usage).

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My personal laptop is a 2016 Macbook, the super-thin kind with one port - looks like this:

macbook-config-space-gray-2017_GEO_US

I got it for the portability and travel about three years ago. I still like it, mostly, but I'm not crazy about the keyboard. The scissor keys have very little travel - the newer MacBooks have the same mechanism but are more comfortable to use.

My work laptop is a 2017 MacBook Air, which is still a great laptop but the screen is too low resolution. I did have a 2015 Macbook pro, which probably was the best laptop I've used.

The 2013-2015 era MacBooks are all I'm going to use for the foreseeable future.

I have a 2013 15" MBP, 2014 15" MBP, 2015 13" MBP, and 2013 13" MBP. Gonna ride those for a loooong time.

It helps I got them free from work so hey

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 2014 15" MacBook Pro, and I feel like I got in before they started having weird issues. I expect I'll be using it for quite a while.

YuriLowell

Oct 26, 2017
I have a XPS 15 9570 for work. Its the most expensive shitty computer I have ever used.

I don't own a personal laptop.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Dell XPS 15 2018 model. 4K screen, i7 and 32gigs of RAM with a one TB SSD. A beast!

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
A 2016 Lenovo IdeaPad 710s (It's 13 inch) Got it extremely cheap, it's very light, has a very fast SSD, decent battery life, it's generally a cheaper version of the XPS 13 that works pretty well.
The build quality ain't stellar, though, it's creaky, the rubber feet fell off, the hinge is not in great shape... Hopefully it can last me a bit longer.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have the mid generation Surface Book. I like it a lot, pretty much suits my needs perfectly. I'll probably use it until Surface Book 4ish or the equivalent. The hinge gap doesn't bother me.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
2013 Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 with an I7, 256gb SSD, and 1800p screen. Still going strong and feel 0 need to upgrade it since I don't game on it. Only thing it lacks is USB C, but most modern laptop manufacturers are freaking idiots and have all USB C ports instead of retaining one USB port for legacy devices. The only USB C devices I own are a cell phone and Switch, which I would never connect to a laptop, but I have various portable hard drives, USB drives including a dongle to run certain scientific software that all require the regular USB port.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dell AMD A8 with 8 GB Ram, 1 TB HDD

The laptop is terribly slow. Forget about running Visual Studio 2017 or Android Studio, takes forever to load the simplest things. I don't know if the HDD is dying or if the CPU is just crap. Might install a SSD in there to see if it can help IDK

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
2017 MacBook Pro

I overall love it, but I'm concerned about the long term well being of the keyboard. No problems so far, other than the occasional sticky feeling key which goes away pretty quickly.

I also have a Dell XPS 15 (2015 I think?) that I occasionally use for Windows programs and Steam games. Right now it's basically my backup for if/when the MBP's keyboard bites it.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
My work laptop is a Dell latitude 5490

16 GB ram, and the rather remarkable i7-8650u (a 15 watt CPU that runs at 1.9ghz but will boost to 4.2ghz)

Works really well for my job can handle most ad-hoc data crunching, battery lasts ages.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I have a cobalt blue Surface Laptop 2. Aside from the refresh rate/ghosting issue in the display, I love it.

Oct 25, 2017
México
Dell AMD A8 with 8 GB Ram, 1 TB HDD

The laptop is terribly slow. Forget about running Visual Studio 2017 or Android Studio, takes forever to load the simplest things. I don't know if the HDD is dying or if the CPU is just crap. Might install a SSD in there to see if it can help IDK
It's always the HDD.

My in-laws have a pretty old computer. I'm not joking, the PC has an old Intel VIIV processor (from 2005... 14 years old) with 2 GB of RAM. They can't afford to purchase a new computer right now, so I bought them a 240 PNY SSD from Best Buy for Christmas. I installed the SSD, did a clean install of Windows 7, and it literally gave the computer a second life. The SSD is capped at SATA II speeds (no SATA III and of course no nVME), and even still the computer feels great for what it is.

Get an SSD and do a fresh Windows install (boot from a USB stick).