• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
what's it called when you almost never play any game when it's newly released and instead want to talk about stuff that came out like 5 years ago

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I play current gen games pretty much every day, discussing classic games (especially less popular stuff) is something I also enjoy:

www.resetera.com

Let's look back at the Atari 7800 releases of 1990

Let's look back 30 years ago. 1990 was the final full year of game releases for the Atari 7800, an 8-bit console that competed with the Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Master System in Western countries. Only one game came out for it in 1991 (Sentinel) and that was just in PAL...
www.resetera.com

Let's look back at arcade game developer TAD Corporation

TAD Corporation was a relatively short-lived Japanese arcade game developer in the late '80s and the early '90s founded by ex-Data East employees. If you were like me and frequented arcades in this time period, then you probably encountered a few of their games (distributed in the West by...
www.resetera.com

Let's look back at '90s publisher Renovation Products

Let's look back at extinct publisher Renovation Products. Founded in 1986, Telenet Japan quickly became a notable publisher and developer of computer games in its home country. Within a few years, they set their sights into console games and Western markets. Renovation Products was...
www.resetera.com

Let's look back at early 3d image games

With all the advancements in Virtual Reality in recent years, I thought it would be nice to look back at the earliest 3d image video games, before 3DS and before Virtual Boy. In the late '70s, Atari began working on a holographic tabletop game system called Cosmos. It was expected to be...
www.resetera.com

Sharp X68000 Appreciation Thread

Manufactured from 1987 to 1993, Sharp’s X68000 computer line was a gaming powerhouse virtually unknown to most of the world prior to the rise of the internet. And before emulation there were many barriers to entry for gamers: It was only released in Japan, and required some Japanese knowledge...
www.resetera.com

Acorn Archimedes Appreciation Thread

If you didn’t grow up in the UK then chances are you haven’t seen one of these computers in real life. It was overshadowed by other systems like the Commodore Amiga and IBM PC, and didn’t have a huge number of good exclusive games, but it has enough cool stuff to intrigue me. Various models...

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I play most things and don't really restrict myself to a single genre or type.

I primarily play games for the story, characters and/or worlds so RPGs are the main genre I guess.
But as long as it's compelling I don't care if it's a fighter, rpg, adventure game etc.
Probably why I have no interest in Mario, Zelda or a lot of indie games, just not compelling to me.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
First person games in general, be them shooters, puzzle, rpg, platforming, etc...
If it's in first person I'm going to like it better that if it wasn't.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
I'm pretty much an explorer. I love games that drop me in a huge world and just trusts me to explore and find things at my own pace. I love finding secrets and new characters and locations, and most of all, I love feeling like I have permanently changed the game world somehow, for better or for worse.

I'm also pretty interested in games that take advantage of the medium to tell unique stories. Through gameplay or through other means.

And finally, I like video game music. Like, really like it.

So yeah, Undertale is pretty much the perfect game for me.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
First person shooters especially of the classic variety. (Duke Nukem 3d, Blood, Doom, Halo, Serious Sam etc). But also technical talk particularly PC.

Utherellus

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Emulation and in-game physics. Emulation is fun and very challenging to set up. But rewarding for sure.

About physics, I low-key love games for their ability to mimic real world properties as much as possible. So I can simulate stuff I couldnt do in real life. For me, games are all about this - simulating stuff that we can't do in real life.

Imagine precisely simulated next-gen sandbox open world game, like dunno Just Cause on steroids. So many possibilities to have fun and experiment with. That's the biggest part I take pleasure from gaming - Freedom of choice and attention to details.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say my biggest two interests are fighting games and Action games.

I (used to?) play a lot of fighting games and compete. I like the genre a lot-- the feelings of competition, learning how to play, practicing execution and gameplay mechs, and the general aesthetics of the genre a lot. Plus I really like arcade hardware so I enjoy playing with arcade sticks and tinkering with parts. I have two fully customized with replaced parts and art I got commissioned for them. Got to meet several creators I greatly admire as well, and I've made countless friends thanks to them. So lots of good memories associated with the genre. I just don't feel super passionate about any current games unfortunately.

Action games are my favorite single player games. Like fighting games, I just really enjoy learning them and getting better and generally showing off. So it's the best single player choice for me. I'm a big fan of Devil May Cry and Clover/Platinum. I uh, pledged more to Wonderful 101's kickstarter I'm sure.. But it's a genre that really shaped my tastes. I became close friends with someone here thanks to them and got to take part in his wedding last year which meant a lot.

I mostly just kinda play team FPS with friends at the moment for personal/mental reasons. But I play a bit of everything and like to give anything a shot generally. I've play a lot of RPGs and Visual Novels over the past few years and find them really nice to spend time on. I quite like other arcade-focused games like shmups and rhythm games but I'm awful at them-- so I just play them casually and appreciate the surrounding elements to them.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know little or nothing about music, but that's definitely one of my key points for just about anything I play. I've bought games because I want to hear pieces I've heard and love in their own game. It's a real big deal to me.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I'm the graphic design geek with a particular eye for typefaces. Don't tell me that fonts aren't important or you might get a lengthy lecture from me about how they're one of the key elements in how we subconsciously shape our perception of a work.

As someone with a musical background, I also really like discussing video game scores, and what makes them work (or not), from time to time.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
99% of games I play are japanese-made and all my favorite games are japanese.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
DL2AISlWkAA2kF6.jpg

Serious answer? I like to immerse myself when playing a game, so atmosphere and storytelling are big focuses.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I have no real interest in games without a campaign mode as such. I struggle to play anything where the purpose is developing skill. I just wanna experience a game, get out and then start on something else, not stick with one game for ages. So multiplayer or endless types of games like Fighters (get bored after like 5 runs of arcade mode and never touch them again) tend to be a no go. Find it very very difficult to motivate myself to play more than 5 hours of games like that. I recently got Animal Crossing and actually quite enjoyed it, but I had no interest in decorating my island (still looks pretty similar to day one) so after getting all critters possible and doing dailies for like 6 weeks, I didn't really see much point in continuing with it.
As such, I've played like 5 games for >100 hours in the past decade and three of them were from when I was very much into multiplayer 9-10 years ago (feel like I've played enough MP for a lifetime because of it). A game has to be extremely good for me to even put in 50 hours.

I was a massive trophy enthusiast for about a decade, and while I still really enjoy it, I don't aim for 100% in every game in every game I play anymore (maybe 20%). But I do know a lot about the achievements in a lot of games because of it.

Also have somewhat of a weird obsession with Sony and Nintendo exclusive games (and maybe Xbox in the future) and go out of my way to play a lot of them. Theyr'e actually most of what I play. Not entirely sure why, but I just seem to enjoy them more. I think I'm just not interested in the AAA multiplatform space anymore because a lot of them have scummy practices, are being milked to all hell, or are just not that great (obviously generalising, there are still great AAA multi plat games, but there are a ton of trash ones too). Have a lot more luck with non-AAA stuff if we're talking non-first party published stuff.

Have recently been getting more into collecting and retro gaming because I missed most of the good games from the 90s and 00s too.

monali

Mar 8, 2020
what's it called when you almost never play any game when it's newly released and instead want to talk about stuff that came out like 5 years ago
Playing resident evil trilogy on PS1 and going through every LTTP thread about them while people are playing RE7 is sad.....but I like it, but seriously I do love it when I have the urge to play old games and leave new ones lose the hype surrounding them which I do most of the time, but I can't count how many time I bought a game even when I'm not super into it just because of the hype.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
I'd like to think I'm a graphic enthusiast, but I feel like I play indies and older games 95% of the time.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
  • Anime freak. The cute division.
  • Game history geek! Hey, did you know *obligatory post on why Puyo Puyo is great and influenced competitive puzzle games and you should appreciate more you uncultured cretins*
  • Shipper.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I'm a NPC dialogue enthusiast. I always make sure to talk to absolutely every NPC in a game, and keep track of things like how often they change their dialogue and so on. My personal score heavily relies on the conversations I have with NPCs. For instance, I just finished DQXI Act 2 now. I would rate it "very good!" as I enjoyed my time talking to the party members and the many different town NPCs. The Latin influence on how NPCs speak in some towns was quite entertaining. I didn't like so much people talking in rhymes/verses at Hotto, thought it was kind of lame.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
I play pretty much every genre besides JRPGs. I love games that allow for player creativity and systems that interact with each other that create emergent gameplay (and not Ubisoft's idea of emergent gameplay). That's why Immersive Sims are my favourite type of game and it kills me every time an amazing one releases and fails to sell. I truly believe Dishonoured 2 and Prey are some of the best designed games to have ever been made and yet they both didn't sell that well.

I love games that focus on attention to detail and interactivity. I'd rather a game focus on a small city block jam-packed full of detail and depth of interactivity than a giant open world with the bare minimum put into its detail and interaction. Warren Spector has talked about this about
Warren Spector said:
I'd rather do something that's an inch wide and a mile deep than something that's a mile wide and an inch deep. I want to create worlds, but by "worlds" I mean someplace where every object is interactable. The NPCs actually have something to do other than kill you. Every door can be opened and there's a reason to open them. That's what I mean by creating worlds. It's not about size and scope, it's about depth and interactivity."

I'm really excited to see more from Raphael Colantonio's new game Weird West which appears to be attempting this.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I'm from the arcade era, so a lot of the stuff I like is Twitch type games. Used to be Quake then CoD etc, but now it's more Rocket League. I generally lean arcade-y but I do enjoy all manner of games, especially Nintendo's stuff like 3d Mario, Zelda and Metroid.

Apr 26, 2020
Im a sales and facts kinda videogame nerd.
Graphics however get this reaction from me. "Hmphh nice". Its a bit like getting a new phone. At first it is shiny and fast ,but soon it is just a normal phone you use everyday without thought.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
There are several points I suppose, but I do love the technical aspect of games. I could watch DF videos for hours and learn more about how games work. When it comes to genres I enjoy the most, it is games that make you think. Tactical RPG's, RTS, Grand Strategy etc

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Narrative Focused and Esports Fan.

Anything that doesn't cater to those two, I don't give a fuck about. And I've been happy gaming this way for years and will continue to do so until I'm dead.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm interested in so much that it's hard to pick something out. Metroidvania enthousiast I guess? Even then there are enough great games in that genre I haven't played yet.

The Stig

Oct 25, 2017
Animation nerd. I'll happily dick around just looking for the nuances and subtleties in the animations of a game, and bad animations can honestly hamper my enjoyment. Same goes for movies.

Shout outs to the Automata team. That game in particular was bliss for me.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm definitely a systems nerd. How are resources managed and rewarded? What is the primary gameplay mechanic, and how does it notch into longer-term/ progression mechanics? How much say (agency) does the player get in their approach, either to a given encounter/battle, or more broadly the how the game itself unfolds. Is the game just a straightfoward treadmill testing the player's ability to execute specific tasks in a specific order, or does it expect them to find their own footing more emergently and execution is secondary?

Once these are all identified, does it work? Is it overly convenient to the point of not feeling meaningful? Or overly limiting/punishing to no longer be enjoyable?

It's a bit dry, admittedly, but it tends to be always how I think about games.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
My strongest interest is probably just criticism. And I mean criticism, not hating on games — examining them, break them down, making suggestions about what could be done better and what works well already. I loooooooove taking a crack at it sometimes, love seeing other users here on the site go to length to break things down, go to length to celebrate things in a way that I didn't necessarily experience or think about, etc. It's why I'm here, it seems like it's better cultivated and discussed here than anywhere else. Not always a perfect flow to the conversation and sometimes it just gets nasty... But it's here better than anywhere else I've hung out before, save for maybe Waypoint's forums.

Super Bunny Hop is probably my absolute hero at it right now, over on YouTube. But it comes in long-form discussion in podcasts and such as well. And I enjoy it more when I come across perspectives that I find interesting that aren't necessarily the perspectives that I feel I would come to myself. I like feeling like the way a game functions is revealed, and on top of that, how people react to those functions emotionally.
You hit the button on the controller. Sums up my feelings perfectly.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very interested in seeing how video games develop new ways to tell stories, moving away from comparisons to cinema and literature, and finding the medium's particular strengths to that endeavor.