• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What kind of art style do you want to see from Street Fighter VI?

• The existing art style that's already being used by SFV

Votes: 90 12.5%
  • Follow Arc System Works' lead & go full anime (3D that looks like 2D)

Votes: 296 41.2%
  • Full realism like what the recent RE games & DMC5 are doing

Votes: 55 7.7%
  • More realistic than SFV, but not to the degree of the aforementioned RE games & DMC5 (Ex: Tekken)

Votes: 90 12.5%
  • Go full anime, but not necessarily in the ASW direction (maybe something inspired by the SFV S5 art)

Votes: 187 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
9cef1d81cab8b26258d70e46cfb2d453.gif
oh man, I hated that movie, smooth animation and a lot of frames but the faces and characters where too pretty for Streetfighter, it totally threw me off. I was always a big fan of the grotesque proportions of Street Fighter Alpha: The Animation
FE0F007AD706B184C97054A890D9BE47BF29C6FC
3Fby.gif

0d6c1e5efe7b62ee8aa46185beaa6bb5.gif
tumblr_mfbaockwu91qcsesho1_400.gifv

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That is such a ridiculous claim they keep spouting for years now, and it really falls apart when you look at the costumes they make which not only change those proportions but more importantly have massive visual clutter or confusing elements.

But yes on the sexualized front they're pretty bad and have no self-awarness
Outside of maybe Juri's Lilith costume, the costumes don't change the base proportions of the characters. Though they do add visual clutter depending on the costume, which one could argue adds to the importance of the big hands & feet.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Full Chibi with little hearts flying out when you strike someone. Also the characters should constantly apologize to each other throughout the match.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The sprites created for CvS1/2 are easily my favorite aesthetically for both Capcom and SNK. The proportions and shading look so good.

If Capcom were to revisit a particular look (but in 3D), I'd want it to be this one.

Yea haha as I was looking for it I said you know what, cvs has a pretty great style. That'd be not bad as well. It's a little too realistic for what I was thinking. Like it's colours are too dark, and the lines are too strong. It's too serious looking, takes inspiration from kof.

tumblr_n4vgyud4MJ1s20ivko1_250.gif
tumblr_ncndxybcvI1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Can they just go back to pixel art? Third Strike is still one of the most visually striking games ever made.

I'd really like SF Alpha using the same technique as Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Can they just go back to pixel art? Third Strike is still one of the most visually striking games ever made.

As always, hand drawn animation is an incredible amount of work. Third Strike quality animation at modern resolutions would be like producing a theatrical animated film.

Doing it at the same resolution of a 90s arcade game wouldn't fly today for a mainline entry.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That is such a ridiculous claim they keep spouting for years now, and it really falls apart when you look at the costumes they make which not only change those proportions but more importantly have massive visual clutter or confusing elements.

But yes on the sexualized front they're pretty bad and have no self-awarness
Actually its not. People look at faces and hands mostly, and in fighting games there is the importance of feet as well and having those stick out helps with readability immensely.

That is the reason why the feet and hands are so large, so they can support more visual distracting costumes, detailed backgrounds and on screen flair while still have your moves readable. The big hand and feet are there to cut trough all the possible visual clutter this game might have. Now in the case of streetfighter its not just having bigger hands and feet, they double down on it by having contrasting gloves or skin tone Versus clothing color and value to visually separate fists and feet from the rest of the character, and those who are based on classic looks do a much better job at this.

You could argue, why not reduce visual clutter, and I do think that Street fighter over delivers on visual clutter. I think it has massive readability issues, but that's a style choice they made pretty early on and nobody is perfect and I would like to see massive readability improvements made in the next installment.

edit: just to make clear, I agree with you when you take it as an excuse and try to dissolve criticism by saying, well its because of this and Capcom is god that's why. If you have a balanced visual game where you support gameplay by having readable graphical styles (part style, part character design), then you don't need to overdo it with those elements.

Last edited:

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Actually its not. People look at faces and hands mostly, and in fighting games there is the importance of feet as well and having those stick out helps with readability immensely.

That is the reason why the feet and hands are so large, so they can support more visual distracting costumes, detailed backgrounds and on screen flair while still have your moves readable. The big hand and feet are there to cut trough all the possible visual clutter this game might have. Now in the case of streetfighter its not just having bigger hands and feet, they double down on it by having contrasting gloves or skin tone Versus clothing color and value to visually separate fists and feet from the rest of the character, and those who are based on classic looks do a much better job at this.

You could argue, why not reduce visual clutter, and I do think that Street fighter over delivers on visual clutter. I think it has massive readability issues, but that's a style choice they made pretty early on and nobody is perfect and I would like to see massive readability improvements made in the next installment.

edit: just to make clear, I agree with you when you take it as an excuse and try to dissolve criticism by saying, well its because of this and Capcom is god that's why. If you have a balanced visual game where you support gameplay by having readable graphical styles (part style, part character design), then you don't need to overdo it with those elements.
Visual Readability is indeed very improtant in a fighting game, and that is achieved in many ways (Distinct Color, Model size & shape, animation, effect, sound, ect...) so I understand that having bigger Hands & Feet can help with that, and potentially give them more freedom to make a variety of costumes. However it is not a requirement to do so, as shown by all the other fighting games. It's not like SF is the most visually readable fighting game out there. Plus you also have the argument that if they really had to give Attack boxes bigger more visible models/outlines that wouldn't just apply to hands and feet but other attack parts of the character (ie: Head, Elbow, Knee, Weapon, ect...) I would even argue that the disproportionate hitboxes VS model is a bigger problem to address if they're looking to change character models for the sake of visual readability

In the end it's an artistic style more than it is a gameplay design choice and it irks me that they try to spin it the other way around. The big Hands and Feet fit with their overly expressive style (Just look at Abigail's proportion to see how they embrace going in that excessive direction) so I get that they'd want to keep it even if I'm not a fan of it. But it's not something they can't change with a new entry if they decide to go down that path because suddenly the game's competitive aspect is compromised

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I think there is good reason for a lot of the visual things I don't like about V, doesn't mean I don't want something different but I get why some stages seem extra foggy/don't blend well with the characters. But I definitely wouldn't mind a more animated ("anime") look. I think there has to be some sort of happy medium between where they are now and Arc that lets them be more aesthetically pleasing while still allowing them to gouge us on costumes.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I'm going with the:
"More realistic than SFV, but not to the degree of the aforementioned RE games & DMC5 (Ex: Tekken)"

Why?

Because I feel like Street Fighter needs to grow up a little bit and be a bit more mature. It will always keep some wackiness that the series is known for but they leaned a bit too much into it with SFIV and SFV. I want a super graphically impressive fighting game that also is very colorful. Not quite realistic, but not full-on cartoony either.

Oct 27, 2017
Go full anime. Can't stand black meringue hair super buff Ryu, I liked how he looked in sf2/alpha/xmen vs sf games.

That would be a good style, the sf alpha anime style in 3d

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Something more anime-like. Maybe a 3D animated version of the Alpha style. You know now that I think about it...I haven't really played a SF that's impressed me with style since SFIV dropped. Like, this is my mindset.

SF2T - Wow, I love how this game looks. This is super dope.
SFA2 - OMG THIS IS SO DOPE IT'S ANIME I LOVE THIS!!!
SFEX+A - 3D and it's this fun? I never thought SF could be like this, I love it
SF3 - Wow this looks even more fluid than the other anime Alpha style, wow
SF4- Wow, they went to this cartoony style but it works in a dope way. It sticks out, I like the way this looks.

And then SFV hit and yeah it's cool and all but the style doesn't differentiate itself compared to what I've played before when it comes to SF games. I gotta have something that "shakes the snowglobe" up a bit.

This post has really made me think about the different graphical styles of different fighters. I don't think that gets talked about enough. We always hear about gameplay but the graphics? The aesthetic? Man, that's part of the reasons why fighters are mad dope.

Just imagine Alpha 2's anime style with those dope remixes and that hype announcer. That's a VIBE.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I'd like to see the same basic style, but with the characters having more realistic proportions. The enormous feet look weird as hell.

It may look weird but the huge feet are done on purpose for the ease of recognizing where your character or opponent is standing. It's a conscious design choice for gameplay purposes, but yeah it does look a bit strange.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am fine with:

A) Improved 5 style but with less clay look. I guess that would be like SF3 which is great.
B) Something like KOF where the characters are stylish but have a somewhat realistic look.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I would love something that tried to translate the style of SFII: The Animated Movie, but that would likely rule out costumes and will never happen,so I'll go with "a bit more realistic than SFV".

Full RE Engine photogrammetry realism would be great for Capcom vs SNK 3 though.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Missing option: Dazzle me!

All Street Fighter main titles have been gorgeous with the possible exception of SF4, and even then, the facial animations were godlike.

Whatever art style they choose, they'll have to push its boundaries, animation-wise so it'll likely be a treat no matter how anime or not anime it is.

They could stick with SFV style + Ray Tracing + better physics everywhere everywhere everywhere. Bodies, clothes, stage items, stage characters.

And it would look very next-gen.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I'm torn between DB FighterZ/new GG style and the "magical realism" of the Ryu VS Sagat SFV trailers posted (realistic looking, exagerated style).

But what I'd really like to know is: did the new style mixing 3D models with cel-shaded 2D-like layer make 2D fighters easier to produce?

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
I was torn between the last 2 options in the poll, but it would suck to have no costumes. If they can go anime and do costumes i'd like to see it. If not, i'd say go a little more realistic but not full DMCV.

edit: the more I think about it, there's already so many anime fighters. Let SF be unique.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
With Street Fighter VI's reveal on the horizon, I thought now would be a good time to revisit this topic.

I stand by my opinion. While I expect something more realistic this time, I'm hoping for something more stylized (albeit not in the same way ASW does it).

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
they better let the women keep their nice muscles, regardless of the style

Personally i want them to keep a cartoonish style

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
SFV looks so good. The animations are top tier. Unmatched, dare I say. Only thing is I would tone down the fan service and hypersexualized female characters.

A pseudo 2D style ala Guilty Gear and DBFighters would be cool too, but I don't think it's necessary.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I want the 2D/3D artstyle like Guilty Gear but i doubt it happens. Capcom needs that dlc money for skins.

And I personally want skins for variety. ArcSys can have their style and color changes, not every other fg has to be the same. Besides SFVs animations are still best in the biz, so build on that while improving the arstyle further without drastically changing it into being more realistic or totally anime.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would take the hit on skins for a more stylized approach. If a character's base design is cool enough I won't really be thinking about Skins anyway.

Compare to SFV where it seems like they sabatoged some of the base outfits specifically to sell skins lmao. Looking at you Ed.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I kinda like the current art style. It's very distinct and dynamic.

The problem is that I can't see them continuing with the exact same style and I'm not sure they can push it much further, without going completely over the top.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna paste my post from other thread;

I just want it to be different. I don't want hyper realism or even Tekken style 'realism', but I just want the game to stand out on its own from the rest of the series. While 4 and 5 are clearly different graphically, they kinda follow similar styles and I think in the long run that hurts how the game is remembered in terms of its individuality. 5 felt more like an evolution of 4 than its own thing.

It's the same reason why I wouldn't want 6 to ape 3's or Alpha's style despite loving those games. Just give me a game that feels different, something that in 10-15 years from now I can go 'yeah that was undisputedly what SF6 was like'. After like 10+ years of similar art styles I think the series desperately needs a vibrant kick up the ass to make it stand out again.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Also pasting from another thread:

RE engine photoreal characters lets go

studio-1.jpg

p h o t o r e a l

20200603-bison.png

l e t s g o

p h o t o

08_Zangief_Street_Fighter_Art.jpg

r e a l

P H O T O

v2d3co5cvij11.png

R E A L

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I would be okay with anything that isn't photo realistic. A 3D version of SF3 would probably be the ideal scenario but dunno if they can pull that off lol.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Would love for something like the SF2 style with more realistic proportions. SF V's chars look a bit freakish.
Idealy a super polished pixel SF2 style like the Pocky & Rocky and Ninja Warriors remakes would be the dream.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah Chun-li is the only one that looks good there. Also, please do NOT go the realistic route. I want crazy 2D back in the style of 3 or Alpha. But I'm expecting it to continue the 4 and 5 look.

Edit: Also Ken is DMC so ok not a serious post lol
Considering the amount of flack Capcom got for sticking to closely to what SFIV went for visually, I'm expecting a more radical departure from it & SFV regarding SFVI's art style.