• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What kind of art style do you want to see from Street Fighter VI?

• The existing art style that's already being used by SFV

Votes: 90 12.5%
  • Follow Arc System Works' lead & go full anime (3D that looks like 2D)

Votes: 296 41.2%
  • Full realism like what the recent RE games & DMC5 are doing

Votes: 55 7.7%
  • More realistic than SFV, but not to the degree of the aforementioned RE games & DMC5 (Ex: Tekken)

Votes: 90 12.5%
  • Go full anime, but not necessarily in the ASW direction (maybe something inspired by the SFV S5 art)

Votes: 187 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mookie1515

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
129791b7c919417776bb2dc26d3f9929.jpg

Bring back the SSF2T art style!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I want to to be an evolution of Street Fighter 3. Use that art as a base and just enhance it. I don't care if it's 2.5 D or 2D, just be cel shaded.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I wish they'd stop using goofy body proportions and expressions, and I also absolutely loath the paintbrush esthetic of not having clean lines. I think it's time to go to something similar to the 2D era games

I expect an evolution of SF6's style with a bit more realistic materials without going into realism like Dead or Alive, Tekken or Mortal Kombat. Maybe closer to Soul Calibur. I would love to see something similar to the Arc System Works games but I don't think they could pull it off

Oct 25, 2017
As great as the execution of the style is, I'm still not the biggest fan of the SFIV/SFV artstyle and would like to see a change. My preferences would be a photorealistic-but-still-stylized look like we saw in the SFV prototype or DMCV or a version of SFV's look with more cell-shaded and vibrant outlines (including facial features in the style of Jojo) and colors. I think I'd prefer the latter, but they're both so different it's hard to say.
I want something that is still highly stylized but different from the current style or what Arcsys are doing. The S5 concept art is a step in the right direction;

street-fighter-5-dan-rose-oro-et-akira-de-rival-schools-au-menu-de-la-saison-finale-6c2fc973__w830.png
I think an aesthetic that still tried to look 3D (unlike ASW-style) while adopting the looks of the above two art styles would be ideal for SF honestly.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wish they'd stop using goofy body proportions and expressions, and I also absolutely loath the paintbrush esthetic of not having clean lines. I think it's time to go to something similar to the 2D era games

I expect an evolution of SF6's style with a bit more realistic materials without going into realism like Dead or Alive, Tekken or Mortal Kombat. Maybe closer to Soul Calibur. I would love to see something similar to the Arc System Works games but I don't think they could pull it off
At least with the big hands & feet, they're supposed to make the attacks easier to read. If you mean the sexualization of the game's women, then yeah, that definitely needs to be toned down.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
At least with the big hands & feet, they're supposed to make the attacks easier to read. If you mean the sexualization of the game's women, then yeah, that definitely needs to be toned down.
That is such a ridiculous claim they keep spouting for years now, and it really falls apart when you look at the costumes they make which not only change those proportions but more importantly have massive visual clutter or confusing elements.

But yes on the sexualized front they're pretty bad and have no self-awarness

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I want it more bright and cartoony than V, but I don't want the ASW style.
Models are on point already for the most part minus the hair and a few faces, and animations are fantastic for some and ranging between good and meh for the rest, so I think they should absolutely work off of V in those aspects. I'd maybe like characters a bit slimmer, but that's just me preferring Alpha's look- it's fine as is.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I think the current artstyle is great. Just keep iterating on that.

If they must go for a more anime slant, I think something akin to Tatsunoko Vs Capcom (But higher fidelity, obviously) would work.

Mr. Shakedown

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Nov 28, 2017
The change of III to IV was drastic. IV to V is an evolution.

Continue the same style, more of the same with different "types" particle effects, and ray tracing, differentiating the prequels from it. Something like the calligraphic ink from IV, and rooted in JPN pop culture.

Please stay away from photorealism, Capcom knows this more than any of us. SFVI using RE Engine and most importantly, ditching UE4/5 (ANY FIGHTING GAME for that matter) is THE BEST news the game could get, but no photorealism.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
No to anime, Arc can keep that. There's no need for too many anime artstyle FGs.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Cell-shaded 3D models similar to MvC3 or TvC that have a hand-drawn aesthetic, but can easily get more costumes. So kinda like Arcsys style, but not as limiting by trying to mimic 2D so closely.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I kinda like the realistic style that they were almost going for with SFV.

29_hyper.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing SF6 in this style on next gen.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I don't want SF6 to look like Guilty Gear art style.

First off, I love how SF5 looks (and animates!) for the most part. There is some great stuff. Dictator looks awesome as an example. If they went down this route and just iterated and improved on it, I wouldn't be mad.

But I would love a art style change up, just to spice up life.

I would like very stylized, similar to the SF5 concept art (season 5) or like the SF2 animated movie. Or even how the new created sprites looked in SvC Chaos (obviously making 3D models that looked like them) with way higher quality and animation. I liked the dark lines and shading on the characters they made new sprites for in that game (the animation was sorta lacking though).

If they went more realistic towards tekken or sliding more to MK, I wouldn't really want that, but it would be interesting. I would assume it would be looking like RE or DMC5 at that point. Seeing those kind of models animated with the capcom fighting game flair could be cool.

They also need more body diversity in the females and tone down the sexualization of the females.

Last edited:

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
As a casual SF fan who spent by far the most time with SF2 and SF3, I find the art style in SF5 to be absolutely terrible.

I get that some people love it, but to me the art style combined with the background styles and odd menu aesthetics just make for a visually ugly experience. Nothing seems to fit together at all.

Would really enjoy SF VI to go back to the style of SF 3. I can't imagine it would happen but I think it would be amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
I forget at this point, but is Tekken x Street Fighter dead dead? Because whatever SFVI turns out to be shouldn't look anything like a tekken if that's alive.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the poll options are a bit too binary for me. However, I don't like the idea of Street Fighter getting any more realistic, and prefer it keeping the more animated vibe that it's upheld for its life time. Street Fighter with ArcSys styled rendering but SFV's overall art design would be really interesting to see, but I'm fine with them just iterating upon SFV's style. In an ideal world though, I'd take something approximating Street Fighter's great concept art, including the SFV concepts like the ones posted above.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The proportions make up a large portion of why that style works otherwise you'd just have colourful Mortal Kombat.. Not to mention the hit to readability you'd get by axing that. If anything they should exagerate things more, especially if they want to keep the game so chaotic visually.
Ehhh I disagree, it would still work without the exaggerated proportions and not look anything like colourful MK lol

I don't understand any of your issues. It would be Alpha except.....Bison would look more like CvS2 Bison basically.

LegalWhiteChanticleer-size_restricted.gif
------>
tenor.gif

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
People keep posting pictures of SF art and I'm sitting here like...That's already what SF5 looks like to me, lol.

Just needs better backgrounds.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Keep the cool comic-esque look. Love how individual all the characters look.
We have plenty of anime and realistic games.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind if they stick with the chant style but they really need better way of rendering hair. They can probably tone down the hands and feet just a tad too.