• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What kind of art style do you want to see from Street Fighter VI?

• The existing art style that's already being used by SFV

Votes: 90 12.5%
  • Follow Arc System Works' lead & go full anime (3D that looks like 2D)

Votes: 296 41.2%
  • Full realism like what the recent RE games & DMC5 are doing

Votes: 55 7.7%
  • More realistic than SFV, but not to the degree of the aforementioned RE games & DMC5 (Ex: Tekken)

Votes: 90 12.5%
  • Go full anime, but not necessarily in the ASW direction (maybe something inspired by the SFV S5 art)

Votes: 187 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
kq8ayqF.png

Over the years, Street Fighter has had a distinct visual style for each numbered entry. Though as we've come to learn recently, Street Fighter V was supposed to be a radical shift from Street Fighter IV visually until its realistic take (supposedly from Polygon Pictures, going by said rumors) didn't work out, hence why it went back to a better-executed version of what Street Fighter IV went for artistically to the point where it (along with their focus on oil paint rather than black ink streaks) still looks somewhat distinct, albeit less so than previous SF entries. With Street Fighter VI internally pushed back until at least 2022 2023 (going by recent rumors & leaks) & Street Fighter V's 5th season that was meant to buy SFVI some time now done, I thought this would be a decent time to discuss what direction we want the series to go. Obviously the poll options are above, so I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
One thing I love about SFV is its animation and how fights can be animes, some themes are incredible. It's so good.

I can't wait to see how the next one looks like.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can they go full anime and still do costumes? If not, it's never happening. So I guess we'll have an evolution of SFV that doesn't look exactly like SFV.

Of course they could.

I want to see something closer to Akiman's style. I think SF5 is close, but we need more body type diversity.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Id be down for any of the listed choices really. Guilty gear style / Alpha would be sick, Akuma in Tekken looks fantastic, would be very curious of a DMC5 RE engine style looking game too

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Of course they could.

I want to see something closer to Akiman's style. I think SF5 is close, but we need more body type diversity.
Not if they follow ASW's lead, which requires frame-by-frame adjustments of each character model for every animation to make them look as 2D as humanly possible. If they settle for something cel-shaded kinda like what other anime games do, then yeah, they could do costumes. There's a reason why DBFZ's only alternate costume is Videl's. It's more of a question of if the trade-off would be worth it for Capcom.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd favor a more realistic direction for once - not full on Mortal Kombat , but something like Tekken. You can do light anime touches and go nuts with costumes anyway.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Of course they could.

I'm not too knowledgeable on this but I heard Arc System Works characters don't have alternate costumes because the techniques they use to look full anime would require too much touching up for every costume. Maybe it's just not true and simply an excuse. I don't know.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Either stick with the current style in SFV or go full anime.

Stay FAR AWAY from any realism!

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not if they follow ASW's lead, which requires frame-by-frame adjustments of each character model for every animation to make them look as 2D as humanly possible. If they settle for something cel-shaded kinda like what other anime games do, then yeah, they could do costumes. There's a reason why DBFZ's only alternate costume is Videl's. It's more of a question of if the trade-off would be worth it for Capcom.

yes, I know. Because you respond with this exact response every time I say this.

Anime is a look. ASW does what they do for a reason. It doesn't mean that Capcom has to do the same thing to make the game look like anime.

I'm not too knowledgeable on this but I heard Arc System Works characters don't have alternate costumes because the techniques they use to look full anime would require too much touching up for every costume. Maybe it's just not true and simply an excuse. I don't know.

Yeah, they do enough work that it's pretty much like making sprites. But that doesn't mean Capcom couldn't just make a game with an anime aesthetic and not key-frame everything the way ASW does.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy with an evolution of the current art style, similar to the jump from IV to V. I guess option A is the closest to that.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
They should go full anime, which doesn't mean it should look like GG or BB. SF2, 3 and Alpha were anime already, follow that style in 3D. Enough with the ugly action figures.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
yes, I know. Because you respond with this exact response every time I say this.

Anime is a look. ASW does what they do for a reason. It doesn't mean that Capcom has to do the same thing to make the game look like anime.
I'm aware, I'm just talking about ASW's specific take on the various anime art styles they've tackled (Guilty Gear, Dragon Ball, Granblue, etc.).

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I guess if I had to pick between those I'd go with the Arc System Works look, although I'm actually not a huge fan of that look. Definitely needs some kind of shakeup because, imo, the character models in SF5 look terrible. I think the general art style may be salvageable currently, but the models look like weird, gross claymation abominations to me or something. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Definitely stay far away from becoming more realistic, though.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I want them to surprise me. I don't have a strong vision for what the next game should look like, they just need to sell me on it.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess if I had to pick between those I'd go with the Arc System Works look, although I'm actually not a huge fan of that look. Definitely needs some kind of shakeup because, imo, the character models in SF5 look terrible. I think the general art style may be salvageable currently, but the models look like weird, gross claymation abominations to me or something. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Definitely stay far away from becoming more realistic, though.
I've added another option that may fit your opinion better.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see the SF III art direction translated as best as possible to the 2.5D format.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
realism is more than what people seem to think, come on.
Not everything is mortal kombat. Even, Shinkiro is stylized in its own way.

But the artstyle is not that important for me. I want it to look amazing and modern, meaning tones of modern tech, physics, light, muscle elasticity, everything used for some 3rd strike animations. I want a Street Fighter that wow people.

Actually, more than realistic, i'd like something.. more dramatic and epic, aka more like the animated movie in tone and impact.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
SFV's art direction already stuck too close to SFIV's. Embrace anime like the Alpha games did.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I want something that is still highly stylized but different from the current style or what Arcsys are doing. The S5 concept art is a step in the right direction;

street-fighter-5-dan-rose-oro-et-akira-de-rival-schools-au-menu-de-la-saison-finale-6c2fc973__w830.png

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I want the Full Bengus and nothing but.

Also, we won't see this game until 2022 at the earliest so this seems a tad bit premature.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I wouldn't object to a more polished take on the art style from SFV; it can be a beautiful game at times. Just make the lighting less flat and sort the more obvious clipping issues. Retain and build upon the detailed animations that have been the game's strength.

Not strictly related to visuals but unique character intros per matchup and a variety of win poses are an area where I wish they'd take cues from MK11. Really helps make the game feel like a lot of love has gone into it.

I'd be content with them taking an Xrd approach as well but Arc System Works are going so well in that I don't see the point.

Not interested in a realistic style, sounds boring. Would be especially weird to see characters like Rufus in a realistic style and he's gonna be the main protagonist in SF6.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Street fighter III to Alpha had the best art direction for the series. It would be nice to see them bring back some of their strongest artists like Bengus, or Akiman and try and transfer that to 3D. Even Kinu Nishimura, or Shinkiro. Capcom vs Tatsunoko turned out looking so great it would be nice to see that sort of thing on better hardware. I feel like CvT was a lot easier to read what was happening because the designs were sleeker and there was less visual noise stylistically like the newer Street Fighters have. Of course a good part of the is the lighting.

All I know is as someone with ADHD, Street Fighter 4 and onward is crazy hard to look at and play because I get distracted by visual nonsense too much.

Something akin to Alpha, but not the ridiculous proportions

The proportions make up a large portion of why that style works otherwise you'd just have colourful Mortal Kombat.. Not to mention the hit to readability you'd get by axing that. If anything they should exagerate things more, especially if they want to keep the game so chaotic visually.

Last edited:

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
3D that looks like this

sfa2-ryu-vs-akuma-artwork-by-daichan.png

EDIT: Actually, looking at the post right after mine, maybe we're closer to that than I think...

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I personally think the current style is perfect and gorgeous.

dozens_of_us_arrested_development.gif

I want them to continue evolving their current art style, many of the characters in SFV are already peak SF design.

ViRbHe4.png

I have subzero interest in Capcom copying some other company's aesthetic. Every ArcSys game already looks the same, must every fighting game look the same too?