• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
I have a k-type with Kailh pro purple switches and I love it. Best keyboard I have ever owned.

12381.jpg

Last edited:

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
So my problem is I am in one of the few Azerty usi'g countries, so my selection of keyboards are a bit limited, I am interested in the Cooler Master SK621 Wireless (60% mechanical)

Can I just switch the buttons to make it look Azerty?

Oct 25, 2017
México
FernandoRocker Seems like you really like the Logitech MX keys and was thinking about getting them to replace the wired keyboard that my job gives us. Are they really worth the $100? Was thinking of buying the mouse as well so it would cost like $200 for the pair. Pretty pricey so I am still debating.

Wonder if the logitech keys feel the same as the Apple magic keyboard.
Staples has Logitech MX Master 3 Wireless Laser Mouse (910-005647) + Filler Item on sale for $75.50 when you apply $25 off $100 coupon code 55269 in cart. Shipping is free, otherwise free store pickup is available where stock permits.

Staples also has Logitech MX Keys Advanced Illuminated Wireless Keyboard (920-009295, Black) + Filler Item for $75.50 when you apply $25 off $100 coupon code 55269 in cart. Shipping is free, otherwise free store pickup is available where stock permits.

Note, must proceed to checkout to see discounted price. You may select alternative Filler Items. Availability for store pickup may vary by location.

slickdeals.net

Staples Coupon | ($20 OFF) | Jul 2021

Use this valid 50% off Staples coupon today. See all 21 Staples coupons, promo codes & discounts for Jul 2021.

The only con is that Staples only sells the black and not the graphite versions (which I vastly prefer), but you can price match them with Best Buy via chat ( they won't care/notice about the color).

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
I love 96-key keyboards, so I use a Kira and a Nym96. I also have an Anne Pro II for using from the couch/bed, since it's got Bluetooth. I wish I could find a 96-key with 4 1u keys to the left of the spacebar - a far left Fn key is my favorite spot to put push-to-talk - but the only keyboard I've ever had like that is an old AZERTY Logitech from France.

Kira:
Na2HmAH.png
This thing is fucking sick.

I use a Race 3. Gotta have my Fkeys and arrow keys, but I like a smaller footprint.

Having now owned a few mechs, I am also forming some strong opinions on switches:

Blues: love them, they are crazy loud and I'm over that.
Browns: too mushy.
Silent Reds: also a little mushy for my taste.
Reds: My current goldilocks. The right amount of snap and feedback. Like how they sound too.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Staples has Logitech MX Master 3 Wireless Laser Mouse (910-005647) + Filler Item on sale for $75.50 when you apply $25 off $100 coupon code 55269 in cart. Shipping is free, otherwise free store pickup is available where stock permits.

Staples also has Logitech MX Keys Advanced Illuminated Wireless Keyboard (920-009295, Black) + Filler Item for $75.50 when you apply $25 off $100 coupon code 55269 in cart. Shipping is free, otherwise free store pickup is available where stock permits.

Note, must proceed to checkout to see discounted price. You may select alternative Filler Items. Availability for store pickup may vary by location.

slickdeals.net

Staples Coupon | ($20 OFF) | Jul 2021

Use this valid 50% off Staples coupon today. See all 21 Staples coupons, promo codes & discounts for Jul 2021.

The only con is that Staples only sells the black and not the graphite versions (which I vastly prefer), but you can price match them with Best Buy via chat ( they won't care/notice about the color).

thank you for sending this!
I bought the mouse but it's actually large for me:/. I may need something in the middle. I think the travelers' mouse that Logitech sells may be worth buying.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
An A1243 Apple keyboard. They had a few of these at my old faculty and I just loved typing on it, so I got one for myself. The super flat keys just really work for me. Which is odd because I don't really like the keys any of the MBPs I've had/tried. Too mushy? Something about this keyboard in particular is just right. I'll dread the day it craps out on me. So far so good though.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a WASD V2 (Browns) from years ago. The lettering is wearing off the keys, but it still types as good as the day I bought it.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Cherry KC6000, I'm far too used to typing on Apple and laptop keyboards at this point but the entire desktop market is mechanical switches. This is the only keyboard that comes close to the ones I'm used to, but even then the keys stand a little more proud than I'd like which leads to mistakes.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Question: As a writer, I do a lot of typing, but I've only been using this Razer Ornata Chroma that I got on sale at target. If I wanted to upgrade, should I be looking into more Razer products (like the Huntsman) or something like these Vrotex keyboards I'm seeing? I would love to transition away from the "Gamer aesthetic," but the Huntsman still looks pretty cool. I don't know anything about mechanical keyboards.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
corsair k65

CH-9000040-UK-K65_01.png

i just wanted a mechanical keyboard and that was the cheapest one i could find at the time. it doesn't have any backlights but that's not really a problem for me cause i don't sit in the dark and my screen is bright enough to make the keyboard visible if it is dark. not that i really need to look at my keyboard when typing...

i've had it for 4 years now and have had no issues with it. the keys look a little worn/shiny from use but the letters/symbols are still perfect (looks like they are stickers). it's just a big piece of metal so it feels really solid and well built.

Incandenza

Oct 25, 2017
I use a Vortex RACE 3 for work at my office with Cherry MX Clear switches. With our white noise generators, the lubed clears are actually very quiet especially on my large desk/mousepad.

Feature-Image.png

I find that I'm a more accurate typist on mechanical keyboards with heavy switches versus other keyboards like my 2018 Macbook Pro. It's an absolutely excellent product and I see myself continuing to use it for many years to come or at least until it supports Zealio Zilent style tactile silent switches.
I have been using a Vortex Race 3 for about two years now. I picked it up because I wanted a smaller form factor than my old Das keyboards, while still keeping things simple.

large_2446_Race3_3.jpg
Race 3 user checking in as well. I have MX Silent Red switches on mine since I use it in a fairly quiet office environment. Definitely not as nice to type on as the MX Browns I have at home, but it looks fantastic and the keycaps are excellent.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Corona WFH life has struck me again!

Since all of this has started, I've been doing things here and there to try to maximize my work space comfortableness and efficiency since I'm going to be here for a while. I've upgrade my desk chair to the Work Pro 9000 (similar to Herman Miller Aeron) and it's been a fantastic upgrade...

Now for a brief story:

I had been using my K830 Illuminated Keyboard to use with my personal computer and work laptop. Last week I was in the process of installing a 2 TB SSD into my desktop and ran into issues, so I needed to connect my Verbatim wired keyboard in order to navigate the bios. After finishing, I decide to just leave this keyboard on my desk to keep it connected to my main work laptop since I was going to be spending more time working generally. I wouldn't have to switch bluetooth connection between both devices anymore.

After using the basic Verbatim keyboard for the week, I tried going back to the K830 and holy shit... I had such a hard time typing. My original intention was to use the K830 for couch gaming and HTPC purposes (which it does very well), but not any serious typing... Right then I realized that it's time to finally look a little more into mechanical keyboards. I spent 2-3 hours between yesterday and today looking all over. I almost went with a budget type, bang for buck one from Dierya (TERRIBLE NAME), but I really thought hard about potential compromises/issues.

I pretty much wanted the following:

1) Good, reliable wireless connection
2) Backlit (RGB ideal, but not a deal breaker if it was perfect in everything else)
3) Long lasting battery (with lights off - they way I use these most of the time)
4) Regular arrow key section
5) Easy access to volume up and down controls by default
6) A look I aesthetically was really into
7) Definitely less than $100 (for my first mechanical keyboard I didn't want to go all out)

There were multiple Dierya keyboards I saw where meeting #4 and #5 were iffy and potential issues with #1 from a essentially a keyboard lottery

I just happened to randomly watch some MKBHD video where he mention the KeyChron V2. I remember seeing how nice it looked, but automatically disregarded it because I assumed it would be expensive as shit with it being MKBHD and him needing something high quality for his work flow. After all this searching around, I ended up actually coming back to it and realizing that this one actually has everything need and more... (it can switch between three devices with keyboard shortcut). It would also allow me to save a bit of space compared to my K830.

Because it seemed to meet my needs and it looks so good, I decide to put down the the $95 on it.

Not sure if anyone here has experience with this - my only concern is that the keyboard ends up being way too high than what I'm used to.

Here's one of the good reviews I watched:

Last edited:

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
I'm a cheap bastard.

So I use this lil guy.

teclado-mecanico-redragon-kumara-k552-led-rgb-espanol-D_NQ_NP_981322-MLA31767195777_082019-F.jpg

It's a Redragon Kumara Mechanical Keyboard, white with RGB, it's prettier in person, the RGB is amazing, the tool to customize is meh, keys are loud but react pretty fast, like instant. I like it, also I can put it on my backpack with my Laptop and my Logitech G305 mouse and be mobile everywhere.

Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Currently on a DAS keyboard waiting for my Ergodox EZ. I'm really stoked to try it out, my left wrist has recently started to get a bit uncomfortable, so it's about time I got something more ergonomic.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Corsair K95 RGB with a couple different keysets mashed together

HyperX Alloy FPS Pro for the living room computer

Nov 8, 2017
I bought a Logitech G512 SE about two weeks ago; it's pretty nice.

As a side note, I was surprised at how many keyboards these days lack the number pad part. Almost feels as if keyboard manufacturers are trying to phase it out. Those keyboards are an instant "NO" to me.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Old mac keyboard I retrieved from recycling 7 years ago. One of the enter keys has receded beneath the keyboard but otherwise it works well plus it has a usb hub.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be sure to share impressions once my Keychron K2 comes in, which will be my main desktop keyboard. For my mouse, I use the Logitech G403 (wireless)

I already shared that I have been using the K830 for years, which has really served me well so far.

For my iPad 10.5, this has worked flawlessly: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5P8BJO/

With companies like this the one thing I look for is seeing how responsive they are in regards to customer service and it seems like they are great here. My warranty has expired, but they keyboard and bluetooth connection still works great. I purchased 2.5 years ago and I love it's thinness. I'm looking into a bluetooth capable mouse to use along side since iOS offers better mouse support now.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
G613, bought it close to release back in august 2017. First wireless mechanical keyboard at the time, bought it to game from the coach. Battery life on it is amazing! Says 18 months, but I'm still using the first pair of AA I put in it since I bought it. My keys still feel as good as new, none of them get stuck and I use it heavily.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
What do you all use to maintain/clean your keycaps? I use 5-10 drops of 70% isopropyl + paper towel and wipe.

Hopping that my keyboard coming in can be maintained well and doesn't get visibly glossy like some parts of my K830.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any opinions on MX Silvers vs. Reds? I want a smaller keyboard since the numpad on my SteelSeries 6Gv2 intrudes on my mouse space in games (looking at a Vortex Race 3) and I'm stuck between Silvers and Reds. Faster response due to higher actuation would be nice, but do you make more errors and is the slightly lower total travel annoying?

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
At home I have a Realforce 87U All-45g EK Edition keyboard. I have tried a variety of Cherry switches and had a IBM Model M for a long time, but nothing has felt as good to me as the Topre switches on this keyboard.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
For the Keychron K2, it comes with ABS keys... (I didn't realize and I'm still learning about all of this). In the future, would there be any issues with me replacing them with PBT keycaps from another company? Or will I need to wait until Keychron makes their own designed to fit appropriately with with this keyboard?

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I saw Linus' wireless Corsair K63 keyboard setup for his living room PC and went that route for mine.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
For the Keychron K2, it comes with ABS keys... (I didn't realize and I'm still learning about all of this). In the future, would there be any issues with me replacing them with PBT keycaps from another company? Or will I need to wait until Keychron makes their own designed to fit appropriately with with this keyboard?
it should be able to use any keycaps from anyone that has a cherrymx stem. so go crazy with it.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Logitech G710+ with Cherry MX Browns. Love the keyboard. My only complaint is that Logitech killed off support for their software that controls macros and stuff.

Also, the cable is T H I C C. It's ruining the aesthetic of my new battlestation.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Logitech G613. Wireless (no bluethooth), no lag, mechanical, insane battery life and affordable.

All I needed.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
After two months of looking for parts, I finally finished putting together my newest one a few days ago. This is probably the last time I'll have any backlighting or underglow.
HKEF47C.png

WUhf2nj.png

Box thick jade switches, gmk vaporwave, canon60 pcb with tsangan layout and tofu60 frosted acrylic.

It uses Gateron switches
Those will work.

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
My keyboard is a Logitech Wireless from around 2003. With battery life measured in years and a neat rotating volume control I've never felt any strong need to replace it. There are some keyboards better to type on, but it's pretty decent even there.
Logitech Washable Keyboard K310

Because it's washable
That keyboard looks so cool every time it's featured in a video, people ask about it. Too bad they're out of production.

2) New MacBooks don't USB ports that the wireless adapter uses, so need an unsightly adapter
Consider getting a dock. Then you get one cable for charging, keyboard, monitors, external disks, etc. I don't use a Mac but this is what I do at work, plug in one cable.

For a while I used a Bluetooth keyboard, but with a dock the "wireless adapter" becomes a non-issue and you can get whatever keyboard you want.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Received my Keychron K2. This my first mechanic keyboard...

It's tall as fuck, but it's also insanely smooth. Like butter, 120+ FPS smooth. I've never felt anything like this before when typing, haha. At first I was unsure at the lack of pressure and the lightness of the keys, but to me the the satisfaction comes when you're typing hard and fast on this thing. It feels amazing when you're doing that and getting in that grove. I have the Gateron red version. While this feels great I keep thinking to myself if I would have preferred the Brown switch version. I have no way of testing that out right now and I don't think it would a good idea to return this in exchange for that version.

Bluetooth is working flawlessly. I'm using it without the backlight for now and seeing how long this will likely on a single charge. My K830 I could leave for a month not using backlight and it would be alive. There's more incentive for my to play around the lights now since I have more options. I have a Logitech G403 (wireless) that I almost never use the lights for as well due to battery life concerns, but I think it will look cool now having both

Aesthetically the device looks very good as well. It's still kind of shocker to me how tall it is. I think that if they could cut this down in half in terms of height, but have the same typing experience, it would be a perfection.

Overall I'm a pretty happy with this thing in my first day of using it. I can see myself keeping this for long time, but in the event they create an updated version of the K1 that's more reliable and has all the same features as the K2, I might go for that.

EDIT: I purchased the aluminum version of this.

Last edited:

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I actually was undecided between the Keychron K4 and the new Logitech MX Keys. I actually bought both, and decided to keep the MX Keys.
  • The MX Keys is beautiful. Very quiet, and very sturdy (aluminium)
  • It has a dedicated Calculator/Screenshot/Lock key. Now, this might sound lame, but the dedicated Screenshot key was the decisive factor, because I use it a lot for my workflow
  • USB-C charging
  • Bluetooth (no dongles, but it includes one if you want to use)
  • And you can pair up to 3 devices at the same time, and you just press a dedicated key to change between devices
  • And one amazing feature is the proximity sensor for the backlight. The proximity sensor detect your hands, illuminating the keyboard the moment your fingers approach. The backlit keys then fade off when you leave the desk (it saves power)
  • It has a light sensor too, so the backlighting intensity automatically adapts to lighting conditions

Now, don't get me wrong. The Keychron K4 is also great, very good. But it missed some little details for me, personally, like dedicated 3 devices, or the Screenshot key and the proximity and light sensors.

Plus, it looks nice next to my Logitech MX Master 3 mouse.

VO1vqBV.png

ZuHpBuz.png
Are you me? I have the exact same setup at home including the wrist rest.

Not quite as happy with the mx Master 3 mouse. I also have the logitech mx vertical mouse, but neither one really does it for me. The search continues!

To add new content to the thread, at work I use this weirdo evoluent keyboard with the numpad on the left.

41829cbrnpL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I'm left handed so it's convenient. I would use one at home but I don't love wired keyboards and it lays totally flat which is a pain for me.

What I'd actually love is a standalone ThinkPad keyboard with the build quality of what they include in their high end laptops. Seems like Lenovo is mostly out of the keyboard game now though...

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
How do yall honestly do it without a 10-key? I've been using my mechanical non 10-key and I hate it.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'm going back to regular membrane keyboards ever again.

If anything, I'll just be looking for a less chunky version of what I currently have if it matches up in everything else.

Once all the COVID stuff clears up, I'll really need go and try something with brown and blue switches.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
just ordered my first Mechanical keyboard, an Akko 3068
E1Y352p.jpg

I cannot wait until I have it in my hands.

I looked at 60%'s but I use the arrow keys quite a lot in photoshop, so the 65%/68keys keyboards are the best for me.