• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using some variation of the Logitech Wave for over a decade but I'm looking for a change. Primary reasons..

1) Keys are getting less tactile
2) New MacBooks don't USB ports that the wireless adapter uses, so need an unsightly adapter
3) Just feels like it's time to mix it up

I'm a software engineer for a living, so the new one will be used 8-10 hours a day for work. Ergonomic design is crucial too.

Any suggestions?

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I use a white Leopold FC750 with reds.

I like the linear switches and the plain white aesthetic with no RGB. It feels solid and it's lasted me multiple years now without a single issue. I love it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I've got two keyboards. One at work and one at home.

I personally have a Corsair K95 with Cherry Brown switches at work. I like the feeling of typing on this keyboard, which is why I leave it here at this desk.
At home I've got a Corsair K60 MK2 which uses Cherry Speed switches. Really short switches that bottom out quickly and have a short actuation. Not too bad to type on, but certainly feels better for something like gaming.

Keyboards are all based on preference though. I highly suggest that you go into Best Buy or a similar store, or order something like this and seeing what switch you like best, then finding a keyboard the suits your ergonomic needs. You'll spend some time/money to figure it out, but it'll save your life later. Also suggest buying from places like Amazon or Best Buy as you can buy something you think you'll like and if it turns out it's something you're not a fan of, you can just bring it back.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm using a Realforce 88U at home because it has topre switches and typing on it feels fucking amazing.

It's a bit too loud for work though. I just use the Magic Keyboard with my work Macbook, it's nice enough.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I adore the Logitech G810. Nice, tactile feel without the clacking of a typical mechanical keyboard. Feels much better than mechanical with o-rings as well. Romer-G switches are underrated.

Personally I kind of dislike Cherry switches. Keycaps feel kind of loose and cheap.

I would love to try Topre switches one of these days.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Let's see...

I use a Nixeus 87 key mechanical keyboard with blue switches at work, a magicforce 68 mechanical with brown switches at home and a Velocifire 87 key mechanical with brown switches on my other computer.

I use the smaller keyboards because I don't like where the full size keyboards put my shoulders when having to use a mouse. I've had far fewer shoulders issues since dumping the full size keyboard.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Logitech K800.
Price is ok
wireless
Keys are backlit
typing is comfortable.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used a Corsair K70 for the last 6 years, but I spilled a drink into the spacebar. Using my wife's old Corsair Strafe kb at the moment, but I'm going to buy a Ducky mechanical keyboard in a couple of weeks.

Deleted member 12129

Oct 27, 2017
I adore the Logitech G810. Nice, tactile feel without the clacking of a typical mechanical keyboard. Feels much better than mechanical with o-rings as well. Romer-G switches are underrated.

I had one of these for a few years, sold it last year as ultimately I found the Romer-G's to feel too mushy.

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I have a Zalman ZM-K700M because a while back you could get them for $40 USD. It's nice, and I appreciate the fact that it has classy white backlighting and not RGB BS.

I'm not sure I actually care about mechanical keyboards, but it's a quality product.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using a Silent Realforce 87U for years. I chose it because I like the feel of Topre's keyswitches, I wanted a keyboard where I could remap the Ctrl key to be left of "A" in hardware, but I also wanted something less compact than their Happy Hacking keyboard (that had physical arrow keys and physical F1-F12 keys). It's been such a good keyboard that I haven't felt the need for anything else.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This cheap ass Chinese scissor switch keyboard. I bought it because quietness was my primary concern, and those low profile chiclet keys are generally the quietest: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CG1J6Z

I might buy something that has high n-key rollover, though. I was curious about trying to play fighting games with a keyboard, but I learned that my keyboard doesn't have high enough n-key rollover to make that work.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have been using a Vortex Race 3 for about two years now. I picked it up because I wanted a smaller form factor than my old Das keyboards, while still keeping things simple.

large_2446_Race3_3.jpg

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Wooting Two. Analog optical keys that last longer than any mechanical key and also it has an actual keypad, instead of the tenkeyless Wooting One. Also using the double shot key caps that they offer. $180 for the full package.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Some random wireless Logitech keyboard that I got as a gift several years ago. I've considered upgrading to a mechanical keyboard, but this thing works fine and is comfortable to type on.

Edit: Looking at a post above, I think it's the Logitech K800. Holy crap this thing was $99?

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I use a Vortex RACE 3 for work at my office with Cherry MX Clear switches. With our white noise generators, the lubed clears are actually very quiet especially on my large desk/mousepad.

Feature-Image.png

I find that I'm a more accurate typist on mechanical keyboards with heavy switches versus other keyboards like my 2018 Macbook Pro. It's an absolutely excellent product and I see myself continuing to use it for many years to come or at least until it supports Zealio Zilent style tactile silent switches.

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about keyboards and have been using an old Apple wireless keyboard from 2010. Can I do better?

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Ive nearly always went Logitech when building higher end stuff, i had a g710+ then a few years later started using a g810 but when i sold my pc deciding to take a break from pc gaming i sold that stuff too. Then a year later bought a cheap Logitech g410 because i built a new but pretty weak pc just to have around for when i want to play a pc exclusive like Civ

Ive also used a k95 at one point for about a tear it was dope and id use it again but i like keeping things the same brand on pc when possible and my favorite mice are Logitech so i tend to lean towards them for other things too.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600. It's the best keyboard I've ever used. Had it for about 7 years now and it's still in perfect condition and feels perfect to use, and this is coming from someone that works at his desk for 9 hours a day.

41wUlFnt%2BXL.jpg

It does use USB though :/

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Das Keyboard with browns. Very well made, feels good, no features I don't want and no annoying lights.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I bought a Logitech g920 because I wanted a bum pad and the extra hot keys.

It does all that, but honestly I went back to my shitty 20 dollar blue switches mechanical keyboard because it's just so much more comfortable to use.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Logitech G613, which is their entry into wireless mechanical keyboards.

It's a pretty good, not great keyboard. I was replacing a broken one and just wanted to see what wireless felt like so I got that alongside with a lightspeed mouse/mousepad. Overall it's been a pretty good experience.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
Have an Drop alt high profile with halo clear switches. Waiting for Zeal to send me my Zealios v2 62g switches to replace the halo clear switches. Also have Matt3o MT3 key caps.

So nothing exciting.

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
Logitech G610 Orion Red. It's wired, backlit, the switches are reasonably quiet, and it doesn't trouble me with features I don't need or care about.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Some random wireless Logitech keyboard that I got as a gift several years ago. I've considered upgrading to a mechanical keyboard, but this thing works fine and is comfortable to type on.

Edit: Looking at a post above, I think it's the Logitech K800. Holy crap this thing was $99?

I love Logitech's scissor switches. I just had to ditch my old one (Logitech K740) due to key ghosting. Such a shame, because their prior iteration of the K740 was not as bad with ghosting.

If they made an N-key rollover version of the K740, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
hhkb2 at work and filco majestouch 2 at home. As for why, wanted a cheapish tkl for home and got a decent deal on a used filco. Kind of dislike cherry browns but shrug. If I were to replace it I'd get some other tkl or 70ish% with zealios v2s or something. For the hhkb, wanted topre again and a. didn't want another realforce and b. too hard to find a white leopold fc660c in stock.

If you type a lot all day I'd get something topre.

zSbaZwL.jpg

2241W9E.jpg

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Keychron k2

Compact
Wireless
Good looking
Affordable

Its really good.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Leopold FC900R with clear switches. My old one was way too loud, but I like having the keys take some pressure and give feedback. Clears ended up being perfect.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
Filco Majestouch 2 with double-shot custom keycaps.

lBAzYJz.jpg

Why: mechanical keyboards feel much nicer to type on. It's not exaclty modern. For my work I use the numpad all the time but I would like a second keyboard such as the HHKB that signal posted, there's a revision to that that's about to come out with USB-C and Bluetooth to take it into the future of 2009.

Similarly to Signal, I'd probably go for something other than Cherry MX Brown key switches for the next keyboard.

Last edited:

Wiseblood

Oct 28, 2017
I bought one of these kits and installed Zilent 62g switches in it. I wanted to try putting together my own keyboard and I decided on that kit because I like the form factor of still having a numeric keypad while being only slightly wider than a TKL keyboard.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I recently put in Kailh box thick jades switches on my Drop Alt and I love the loud double clicks. Currently using sushi epbt caps on it while waiting for my analog dreams gmk in a few months.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
udvgIdwSTxNAItm-800x450-noPad.jpg

SteelSeries Merc Stealth

I've had it for over 10 years and it hasn't failed me yet.

Oct 25, 2017
EBFBEAAE-89C0-48BD-9C6B-2FE6E5C47197.jpg

This Logitech k280 went from being my backup / extra keyboard to my main keyboard 80% of the time. There is something so insanely satisfying about the key presses' plus the SIZE it's so SMALL but so comfortable, it's also insanely light. I just have sooooo much desk space. My ONLY complaint is that I wish the Fkey row was the main function while the other functions like the bluetooth, volume, and media controls were tied to the FN key.

But the fact that this son of a bitch runs on like 2 AAA batteries and the battery life is rated for 2 years (and i believe it because i haven't replaced the batteries in 8 months since i got) is just insane and stupid convenient.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
My daily driver is a Realforce 87U (topre), but I switch in my favorite little keyboard the Leopold FC660C (also topre) pretty regularly. I love topre switches to death. They're expensive, but so satisfying.

large_2871_large_2870_87UBV_1.jpg

fdgb.jpg

OP
OP
peppermints

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Keychron k2

Compact
Wireless
Good looking
Affordable

Its really good.
Wow I really like this one, especially that it can be both wired and wireless. Do you know if I'm connected wirelessly to my laptop, then plug in wired to my PC, will it stop the connection to the laptop? Or is there a toggle?

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use a Leopold FC660C for everything now, and am perpetually considering picking up a second one to keep at the office.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Filco Majestouch 2 with double-shot custom keycaps.

lBAzYJz.jpg

Why: mechanical keyboards feel much nicer to type on. It's not exaclty modern. For my work I use the numpad all the time but I would like a second keyboard such as the HHKB that signal posted, there's a revision to that that's about to come out with USB-C and Bluetooth to take it into the future of 2009.

Similarly to Signal, I'd probably go for something other than Cherry MX Brown key switches for the next keyboard.

Love the set. What drop did you get them from?

mhdiQMi.jpg

GoN TKL 57g Clears. Wanted a TKL shorter board. Fell in love with the GoNs. I got lucky to find one from another member on geekhack.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Corsair K70 Cherry Red

love my mechanical keyboards and I love the sound the keys make when I hit them. It's like constant relaxation to me.

Nov 22, 2017
IMHO all keyboards need separate copy and paste buttons. It's life changing.

I use a kinesis freestyle 2 at work. At home I have a similar one to the kinesis but it's mechanical with auper (forget the name).

I got these for ergonomic reasons. The copy and paste buttons have saved my hands from doing data entry and when I'm writing scientific documents the split keyboard is nice.