• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
My mother, my girlfriend and my dog. Personal goals/milestones I've set for myself both in my career and personal life. Staying financially stable while balancing the costs of living and investing in my future. Staying as fit and healthy as I can. Consuming entertainment of all forms (artworks, photography, movies, shows, games, etc).

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao
You willingly created a conciousness who will spend the majority their existence in a state of at least acute suffering only to face their mortality and cease to be like every thing else.

Oh, but let me force a sentient cursed lifeform into existence to give myself a sense of purpose / save my marriage, right?

lol
Everyone's life has improved with my decision and you got a chuckle out of it. Net net positive.

Crimson-Death

Oct 27, 2017
Purgatory
Well, this season of Attack on Titan is over now, and I don't want to read any further than I already have into the manga.
What will keep me going? Waiting for the next season? Nah, too far away. Maybe a new great show will appear?
Waiting for Trump and his racists to get their comeuppance? Playing video games? Awesome movies?
Finding great songs and music? Finding great literature, poems, intellectual rhetoric of those wiser in all fields?

The only way to counter my nihilism is knowing that life is big fucking game of chance and unfair systems where you don't get a say in your handicaps, and If I am really all that and a bag of chips I am going to have to conquer my struggles and go down fighting instead of whining while life does its best to deconstruct any advantages.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
my wife & daughter, and getting to experience so many wonderful things around the world with them

making people around me laugh and feel more joyful

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
right nooooooow??

honestly my momma, she lost a sister like 4 years ago to cancer, and now another is battling cancer, so i gotta live because i cannot put that burden or her.

another from that, finding someone to spend my life with eventually i guess

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta paint

gotta get skilled, gotta get good

there's so much out there to paint I gotta see it all

also I need to see how one piece ends lmao

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
When you get to the realization that life is deeply meaningless and pointless, you don't need many reasons to keep going. You just do because you're supposed to do it, it's all that you can do.
Other than that, i'm enjoying life and i'm very glad.

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
If you look at the vastness of the universe and the uniqueness of human life, you have to think that, in a purely non-religious sense, your existence right now is miraculous. There's so much to see and so much of a difference you can make. It might not be *meaningful* in a cosmic sense or even in a sense of the flow of human history, but existence far beats the alternative.
Yes, wanted to say something similar. Deeper philosophical questions aside, human existence is like winning some kind of cosmic lottery.

Personal stuff:
-Family
-Designing and DMing "no-dice-allowed" D&D campaign
-Listening to volunteer community radio while driving, especially the local punk and post-punk program
-Experiencing "flow state" AKA being "in the zone": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)
-Similarly, becoming completely immersed in a game, book, music, etc.
-Italian food, chocolate, ice cream
-Dwelling on various elements of Buddhist and Daoist philosophy
-Learning history, especially history of religion
-Being out in nature during the wet season

Great thread idea OP, it was cathartic just typing this out!

Gray clouds

Nov 7, 2017
I'm too afraid of darker alternatives.
Meds.
Family (especially siblings and some sweet dogs).
Trying to get back into doing creative work.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you get to the realization that life is deeply meaningless and pointless, you don't need many reasons to keep going. You just do because you're supposed to do it, it's all that you can do.
Other than that, i'm enjoying life and i'm very glad.

I recognize this sentiment, but I think it can also be articulated in a positive way as one's reason for existing being the pursuit existential satisfaction itself. In fact, I myself would claim that all other pursuits can fuck off, but a holistic conception of satisfaction within life seems to encompass things like virtue as well. So I don't know whether it should be presented as some kind of self-actualization, or enlightenment, or a kind of perspective., or just having enough joy and equanimity within our circumstances that we can usually give a fairly emphatic yes to the 'live? y/n' question when polled. It's arguably the only question we have to answer in life, because it is fundamentally about our life, so I think the question of meaning can also be articulated in a positive way. We have a legitimate internal sense of what meaning is, simply in virtue of what might satisfy our desire for meaning, making it at the very least be theoretically accessible. So why not think that there is meaning of a kind, if we grant that it won't be 'out there' in any sort of strict sense, but something potentially revealed to us through our own honest attempts to pursue it.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
235px-Simpsons6x13.jpg

Communism is just a red herring.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
If I'm gone who's going to take care of my mother and brother and sister? My father doesn't have much time left and they will be alone to fend for themselves.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Media releases. If it weren't for video games, anime, movies, etc., I don't know why I'd keep at it.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
The only reason I keep going is because I'm too much of a coward to put a gun to my head and blow my brains out.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
If you look at the vastness of the universe and the uniqueness of human life, you have to think that, in a purely non-religious sense, your existence right now is miraculous. There's so much to see and so much of a difference you can make. It might not be *meaningful* in a cosmic sense or even in a sense of the flow of human history, but existence far beats the alternative.
I like this.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The hope that someday I will find some sort of happiness.

The hope that I will love again.

The desire to continue improving my artistic skills.

The goal of creating the most beautiful painting in the history of the world.

Oh, and Avatar 2. Actually, mostly Avatar 2.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
The drive to play the next video game and the desire for new food experiences.

Me being alive and happy also makes my family happy if that counts for anything.

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
The reasons to not keep going are not convincing and weaker than the reasons for keeping at it. That might change in the future, I just hope it wont.

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a super strange one, but there's two things:

1. I want to get LGBT normalized within Indonesian culture (so no stuff that doesnt fly for anyone here like public display of affection)

2. I want to live to see the day where Vocaloid is no longer seen as an anime robot.

Oct 27, 2017
My research in mathematics (so much to learn yet though) and my girlfriend. I'm in a very good place honestly, couldn't ask for more.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've been working with my coven to summon Astaroth for years, to not only pull Saint Bartholomew into hell but to also lead us to riches. We're making progress so I am hanging in there.