• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
After failing to finish Grandia 1 (despite getting pretty far into it) when it released on Switch I have decided to jump into 2 as it just got a patch.

Oct 27, 2017
Cosmic Star Heroine on the Switch. Does that count? It's an indie RPG reminiscent of Chrono Trigger.

Battle system is the star of the show. Each encounter makes you work for it...the enemies are typically challenging, but you do get full health for your characters at the start of each battle. It's emphasis is on strategy rather than a battle of attrition. In this sense, it's more about going all out in each battle instead of trying to conserve resources and manage health through a series of several battles. Moves are depleted after each use until you use a turn to "recharge", which adds to the strategy element.

Characters are pretty flat, personality-wise. They generally speak with the same "voice" and there's little variation from the snarky smart aleck. There seems to be quite a few characters you can recruit to your team though, and are actually quite varied in terms of gameplay. Each has their interesting mix of physical, magical, technical, or ailment talents, which makes mixing and matching units in the team a pretty fun exercise throughout the game. I also appreciate that the game forces you to use certain lineups at times in the story...I like working within constraints and learn how to make the most out of what you are given.

The story's pacing is kinda out of whack. I like the sci-fi space-faring adventure (decent Mass Effect tones here), but you really don't have much chance to breath before jumping from one beat to another. I guess this is in part due to a relatively short run time (I'm like 10 hours in and it seems like I'm getting close to endgame stuff). The different worlds you visit all feel unique and lively through. I'm especially enjoying the recent planet of scientific, telepathic humanoid insects...kinda reminds me of Turians from Mass Effect.

All-in-all, it's a fun space romp so far. It's got its flaws for sure, but I'm nevertheless enjoying it. Picked it up for $3.00 when it was on sale.

I started this a week or so ago, kind of randomly. I do like the combat approach for sure, and I'm glad to hear it may not be super long.

madame x

May 15, 2020
im playing final fantasy 4... its cute.

kinda torn between doing suidoken, persona 4, or xenoblade (already started this) next.

madame x

May 15, 2020
have you played Suikoden before?
which one are you maybe playing?
no, haven't played any! so i would start at the beginning. my friend said i'd like it since its a more political story instead of a ragtag group of friends save the world and theres lots of playable characters. i also heard its relatively short too which is nice.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
no, haven't played any! so i would start at the beginning. my friend said i'd like it since its a more political story instead of a ragtag group of friends save the world and theres lots of playable characters. i also heard its relatively short too which is nice.

Yeah!
Suikoden 1 is a brisk 20 hours, yet it still feels really epic when you are done. You build up a home base with eventually the "108 Stars of Destiny" and that is the basic premise for all 5 games. There are indeed lots of politics in all the games, and the soundtracks are O M G.

Suikoden 2 is a lot of people's favorite. It's like the first game, but now a 50 hour epic RPG with a huge world, refined battle system, and some characters you really grow to love. The base building (that is also home to various minigames and events) is even better and bigger in 2.

Suikoden 3 was a 3D game, so a huge departure. It's really different than the rest and follows the story of 3 people while you switch between them and see what's happening in the world. You still have a base, and battles are sorta similar, but it's a different game. I still liked it, but 1+2 are far superior.

We don't talk about Suikoden 4. Just pretend it does not exist.

The last game, Suikoden 5, released on PS2 and is...probably my favorite even over 2. This game is just...so...so great. The graphics are still Suikoden style but in 3D, the base building is great, the music is wonderful, battles are still fast and similar to 1+2 but with of course more refinements. This game focuses on a kingdom led by women, where the men can never be the leader, and follows some people in and around the Queen of the kingdom. Again, it's very political, and spans a huge world. It's just an incredible game all around.

So I highly recommend if you like 1 to play 2, and then 5 for sure. 3 maybe sometime, and never ever 4 lol!

Have fun. This is one of the great RPG series ever :)

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
I started this a week or so ago, kind of randomly. I do like the combat approach for sure, and I'm glad to hear it may not be super long.
Cool, interested to hear what you think it later. If you're already pretty familiar with the JRPG genre, then I'd really recommend playing on the higher difficulty settings. I alternated between the highest and second to highest settings, and felt that was the sweet spot for actually pushing me to deploy some tactics. Good thing about this game is that it never really requires you to grind either, which helped make every battle encounter feel more of an event rather than a "spam attack for XP" thing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really feeling Bug Fables right now (it's good but it's pretty slow paced and I'm just not in the mood for that atm) so I'm gonna do a different RPG.

Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI?

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Working my way through xenoblade chronicles for sort of the first time now. I did play it a bit before but stopped before colony six for some reason. Really enjoying it tho I think I'm getting sick of playing as shulk as hes so slow to get new abilities, at least where I'm at right now. I wonder if they anticipated people trying the different characters more than I am. I usually just stick to playing the main person in rpgs like this that let you choose.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Working my way through xenoblade chronicles for sort of the first time now. I did play it a bit before but stopped before colony six for some reason. Really enjoying it tho I think I'm getting sick of playing as shulk as hes so slow to get new abilities, at least where I'm at right now. I wonder if they anticipated people trying the different characters more than I am. I usually just stick to playing the main person in rpgs like this that let you choose.

You DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY want to keep switching party members besides using always Shulk. I think this game will burn you out fast, it's a long game, if you aren't switching your main at least every new area or every play session. You'll enjoy the game in the long haul if you do, then switch back to your favorite main on challenging Unique Monsters or Bosses.

Bit yeah, change up often in XBC. The game will tire you out of you stay Shulk.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not really feeling Bug Fables right now (it's good but it's pretty slow paced and I'm just not in the mood for that atm) so I'm gonna do a different RPG.

Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI?
First time with both or replay?

I picked up FFVI again in 2020, and super enjoyed all the great music, but the combat is pretty meh. And the story is interesting, but not as compelling to me on replays.

Echo all that on CT personally. Both games are fine combat, but nothing seriously though provoking besides your standard JRPG stuff. I say those games are most enjoyable in the OST on replays.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First time with both or replay?

I picked up FFVI again in 2020, and super enjoyed all the great music, but the combat is pretty meh. And the story is interesting, but not as compelling to me on replays.

Echo all that on CT personally. Both games are fine combat, but nothing seriously though provoking besides your standard JRPG stuff. I say those games are most enjoyable in the OST on replays.

I've played Chrono Trigger four or five times, while FFVI only once since my second playthrough got wiped halfway through. Chrono Trigger is definitely a leaner game but I have played it a lot more than FFVI.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I've played Chrono Trigger four or five times, while FFVI only once since my second playthrough got wiped halfway through. Chrono Trigger is definitely a leaner game but I have played it a lot more than FFVI.
I have a hard time replaying JRPGs even ones I like. I need loooooong breaks in-between them.

That said I like that both games are fast paced and you can make a lot of story progress in every play session.

Jun 24, 2019
I love Devil Survivor Overclocked.

Gameplay
A solid SRPG with a Megaten flair. DeSu made me realised what I like about certain Megaten games, it's the experimentation. Assigning skills and customising my team however I want. Fusing and breeding demons however I like. So many moves to play out in battles. And skill cracking feels very rewarding. I didn't find DeSu to be difficult but it does have its moments. The most challenging for me being Day 7. I haven't faced Lucifer in NG+, I hear that's a kicker.

Story
The events happening in DeSu is relatable to what we've experienced in 2020. On top of that, it's so fitting to have finished the game while experiencing the end of lockdown. The stakes are incredibly high. Choices being made matters tremendously and actions do have consequences, stimulating the plot.

DeSu has an awesome alignment system. I rank DeSu being a better "mainline SMT" than the SMT IV duology. And that's saying something, considering the game isn't one. The characters are wonderful and profoundly articulated. Naoya, Haru and Atsuro (especially) are the best characters and my favourites. I decided to go with the Overlord route as it fit with my ideals.

Other
I'm not into the art style but it did sort of grew onto me. I like how expressive characters are. I like the stupid-lookin cape. Love Kaneko bel demons. Slammin soundtrack, awesome voicework and great replayability, I'm keen to explore other routes.

Downsides
No auto option to speed up battles. Can't skip cutscenes.

What's more to say? I love this game man.

I am going take a break from JRPGs as I am burned out and focus on other commitments. Thank god I can be civilised hooman again.

Other JRPGs I'll return to: Chrono Trigger, Digital Devil Saga and Xenoblade Chronicles DE.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Keroro RPG:

It was alright? I have zero experience with the property (Sgt Frog outside of Japan) and was surprised at how meta the entire thing was. The characters are constantly riffing on classic JRPG tropes and properties (and not in a particularly clever way most of the time tbh, though a genuinely good joke does sneak in every now and then), and there are a bunch of cameos from other Namco games as battle assists:

image_thumb350.png
image_thumb349.png

The reason I picked it up in the first place was that it was the only game from Namco Tales Studio I hadn't played yet, and is basically a 2D Tales title outside of the license. That aspect holds up really well, with the battles being LMBS (CC instead of MP), lots of animated portraits:

giromad.gif

and whatever else you'd expect from that style of Tales. There's a lot of extra side content and a post-game dungeon that I haven't (and won't) touch too.

Dunno what I'll play next. Probably either Shadow Hearts: From the New World or Arc the Lad 3 (since I liked that game a lot, but never finished it).

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Dunno what I'll play next. Probably either Shadow Hearts: From the New World or Arc the Lad 3 (since I liked that game a lot, but never finished it).

It's funny, I feel both the ATL trilogy and SH trilogy follow a similar format for me:

First game - solid but an appetizer for the main course, which is the second game
Second game - the real standout
Third game - much goofier and a lot less interesting than the other games in the franchise

I dropped ATL3 after about 10-15 hours, just got tired of doing nothing but guild missions and hearing the characters banter in almost the same exact way before every mission... the game also seemed quite easy (which may have been a relief considering how challenging ATL2's final boss was).

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
First game - solid but an appetizer for the main course, which is the second game
Second game - the real standout
Third game - much goofier and a lot less interesting than the other games in the franchise
I'm someone who likes the first Shadow Hearts more than Covenant, so this kinda fits my experience of Koudelka -> Shadow Hearts -> Covenant :P

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The combat in Shadow Hearts 1 is so basic it starts to become a bit of a drag by the second half, and it's not a short game. I like the characters in Covenant quite a lot more as well

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah!
Suikoden 1 is a brisk 20 hours, yet it still feels really epic when you are done. You build up a home base with eventually the "108 Stars of Destiny" and that is the basic premise for all 5 games. There are indeed lots of politics in all the games, and the soundtracks are O M G.

Suikoden 2 is a lot of people's favorite. It's like the first game, but now a 50 hour epic RPG with a huge world, refined battle system, and some characters you really grow to love. The base building (that is also home to various minigames and events) is even better and bigger in 2.

Suikoden 3 was a 3D game, so a huge departure. It's really different than the rest and follows the story of 3 people while you switch between them and see what's happening in the world. You still have a base, and battles are sorta similar, but it's a different game. I still liked it, but 1+2 are far superior.

The last game, Suikoden 5, released on PS2 and is...probably my favorite even over 2. This game is just...so...so great. The graphics are still Suikoden style but in 3D, the base building is great, the music is wonderful, battles are still fast and similar to 1+2 but with of course more refinements. This game focuses on a kingdom led by women, where the men can never be the leader, and follows some people in and around the Queen of the kingdom. Again, it's very political, and spans a huge world. It's just an incredible game all around.

So I highly recommend if you like 1 to play 2, and then 5 for sure. 3 maybe sometime, and never ever 4 lol!

Man, I always wanted to get into Suikoden, but was never able to due to the non-existent difficulty. I know that JRPGs are by default pretty easy, but Suikoden was just too much. Don't think I've ever played an rpg as brainless as Suikoden and it's a shame because everything else in the game seems really well done.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Just beat P5R and have started up Alliance Alive HD.

This game is amazing, it's a throwback while doing a lot of new stuff, think this is what people were wanting with Octopath, but actually realkzed
Haha, I started Alliance Alive a few days ago and don't feel quite so glowing about it in comparison to Octopath. In terms of nostalgic JRPGs. It might have to do with how I never played the Saga games so that element of nostalgia isn't there. The damage variation and random artes awakening just feels despairing reliant on RNG.

But yeah, the game is full to the brim with nice features. Save anywhere, dungeon puzzles, early vehicles, a large variety of minor but rewarding and meaningful choices in sidequests and the main story, and the concept of the elemental worlds has a cool setup.

I just don't find the plot or characters engaging. It's very stiff, the drama feels perfunctory and inconsequential for the sake of brisk pacing, and the anime sweatdrop comedy skits are frequent and not endearing. That's super subjective, I get that but its bumming me out on enjoying the rest of it.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually playing three, alternating between them cause I love them so much.

I actually have just started playing the trails of cold steel series and it's amazing how old school but still fresh they feel.

Im currently playing trails of cold steel 2, Star ocean 5 and FFVIIR. I absolutely love all three but FFVIIR feels kinda bloated in its side missions which I dint particularly care for.

Star ocean 5 is amazing. Love the gameplay from 3 and it feels exactly like i remember it on ps2.

Leeway

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm in Act 2 on DQXIS and just kind of savoring it as a comfort RPG between Last of Us II, but I'm deciding which RPG to tackle next when I wrap this, though I probably still have a ways to go with DQ. Thinking between, but please let me know if any of y'all think one would be a good fit after DQXI:

Trails of Cold Steel (which I guess would bleed into 2 and 3 or going back and actually playing the Sky series for context - This one's the most daunting, haha)
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Xenoblade Chronicles DE (played original when it came out, but never finished it. Not for lack of interest, life just got busy and it was hard to go back. I'd like to get to the finish line with this one)
Persona 5 Royal (I've played original P5 when it was released, so not in a rush to get to this ASAP)
Atelier Ryza
Grandia Collection
Star Ocean First Departure R
FFIX
FFVII (Replay - finishing Remake made me want to revisit this after not playing it since basically it was originally released)
FFXII

Last edited:

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It was alright? I have zero experience with the property (Sgt Frog outside of Japan) and was surprised at how meta the entire thing was. The characters are constantly riffing on classic JRPG tropes and properties (and not in a particularly clever way most of the time tbh, though a genuinely good joke does sneak in every now and then), and there are a bunch of cameos from other Namco games as battle assists:

The Keroro anime/manga has many references and also some meta-humor, so the game was kind of keeping its spirit in that sense, although the writing here isn't as good as the actual series. There's even an episode that basically executed this game's premise years before it (the cast diving into a RPG, although in the episode it was mostly a not-Dragon Quest, aside from no turn-based battles. The episode also ended teasing them diving into Persona 3 afterwards, but the story ended there).

As someone who actually knows Keroro, I was disappointed by the whole generic JRPG set up though, rather than just making a modern day JRPG. Some Keroro characters were reimagined as npcs/helpers in the game world, but it had issues like the super generic bestiary rather than using aliens and other monsters from the series as enemies, and only the actual main cast appears/gets counterparts.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 4 Golden. It's been a while since I played a long JRPG, so I'm taking it slow, playing just a bit each day without rushing it. Maximum chill.

Deleted member 20429

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Currently in the mood for a bunch of Final Fantasy games coming off the back of 7R.

Started off with Type-0 HD. The combat in it is surprisingly fun, and a refreshingly different take than 7R despite it's obvious limitations of originally being a PSP game. The writing and VA are pure garbage though which is a shame because the world is very interesting.

Got Chocobo Mystery Dungeon: Every Buddy coming from Play Asia next week, the original Wii version was one of my favourite Mystery Dungeon games so I'm hyped

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I set up a little retro game setup with my old consoles and crt. Been spliting time between Grandia 2 on my Dreamcast, and Digital Devil Saga on PS2.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in Act 2 on DQXIS and just kind of savoring it as a comfort RPG between Last of Us II, but I'm deciding which RPG to tackle next when I wrap this, though I probably still have a ways to go with DQ. Thinking between, but please let me know if any of y'all think one would be a good fit after DQXI:

Trails of Cold Steel (which I guess would bleed into 2 and 3 or going back and actually playing the Sky series for context - This one's the most daunting, haha)
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Xenoblade Chronicles DE (played original when it came out, but never finished it. Not for lack of interest, life just got busy and it was hard to go back. I'd like to get to the finish line with this one)
Persona 5 Royal (I've played original P5 when it was released, so not in a rush to get to this ASAP)
Atelier Ryza
Grandia Collection
Star Ocean First Departure R
FFIX
FFVII (Replay - finishing Remake made me want to revisit this after not playing it since basically it was originally released)
FFXII
I think you'd enjoy XBC:DE. Having it portable makes it more likely to finish. Plus the back half of the game is the best part.

Also I think you'd enjoy FFVII if it's been years since you last played it. It's completely different than how you remember, it was for me!

Tygerjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I tried to finish Xenoblade Chronicles 2 again only to get bored in chapter 6 with 54 hours. I really don't like the combat system, it's convoluted but actually pretty shallow. I also hate the gacha aspect of the game.

I think I'll try to finish Shin Megami Tensei Apocalypse, I feel like playing a megaten these days.

madame x

May 15, 2020
Yeah!

hi sorry for the late reply

i finished ff4, and im on suidoken 1. im really excited to explore the franchise and am enjoying the first one so far (i just rescued those two guys outside the burning house) and im finding it to be engaging. hearing 4 is crap just made me wanna play it more idk why

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to get back to Trails of Cold Steel 3 since I like to remain optimistic and want to try Hajimari whenever it comes out in English, but this game is just ugh, urgghh, eugh. Argh. Ugh. Blergh. I'll just youtube it and CS4 so I'm at least on top of things going into Hajimari.

So now I'm playing Castlevania Symphony of the Night for pretty much the first time ever - it's JRPG-y enough in my book - and it's really goddamn good. Having an absolute blast with it. I'm familiar with metroidvanias, but I'm definitely gonna take another proper look into this genre after SOTN.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to get back to Trails of Cold Steel 3 since I like to remain optimistic and want to try Hajimari whenever it comes out in English, but this game is just ugh, urgghh, eugh. Argh. Ugh. Blergh. I'll just youtube it and CS4 so I'm at least on top of things going into Hajimari.

So now I'm playing Castlevania Symphony of the Night for pretty much the first time ever - it's JRPG-y enough in my book - and it's really goddamn good. Having an absolute blast with it. I'm familiar with metroidvanias, but I'm definitely gonna take another proper look into this genre after SOTN.
Oh man, is it your first Igavania in general? There is sooooo much good stuff to check out if so.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The story in Suikoden 4 isn't as bad as people make out, it's just not as good as the rest of the series. What it does have though is a really annoying world map which is made worse by how often you revisit old towns in Suikoden for recruiting characters. You only have 4 characters in battle as well instead of the usual 6, no idea why they did that. The main character running animation is the worst I can remember seeing, like worse than Grandia 2

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I wish more of the Igavania games were accessible, so many of the GBA/DS games I'd want to try.

Nearing the end (just started December) of Persona 5 Royal. It's my third time through P5 and it still gives me that melancholic feeling knowing it's coming to an end. It's got so many issues but remains my favourite game of the last 5 years.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
The story in Suikoden 4 isn't as bad as people make out, it's just not as good as the rest of the series. What it does have though is a really annoying world map which is made worse by how often you revisit old towns in Suikoden for recruiting characters. You only have 4 characters in battle as well instead of the usual 6, no idea why they did that. The main character running animation is the worst I can remember seeing, like worse than Grandia 2
I loved his run animation "gotta go fast" lol.

I liked SIV quite a lot. Its got its flaws but it's a great game.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i agree. It's not a bad game but clearly the worst mainline Suiko. Tactics improves IV somewhat. Tactics is also superior.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I've started Tales of Zestiria. It doesn't have the best reputation, but given that it's my first in the series, no touchpoint to compare it to, I'll go along with an open mind. I'm enjoying it so far.