• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 22, 2017
I actually like the sequel trilogy, but considering how much time I have spent rewriting the prequels in my head I totally get it.

Star Wars is so many things to so many different people. Part of what I love about it.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I would just want it to make some sense. Why is there a "Resistance" when there's a Republic? Why is the First Order so huge and threatening, also when there's still a Republic? Who the fuck is Snoke?

Answer: they decided to deliberately re-create the scenario of the OT without justifying it at all.

And that's all just from Force Awakens. The Last Jedi was at least different, but it also didn't make much sense.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
I really like this trilogy in itself (even Rise YES I SAID IT) (TLJ is my fav by FAR tho) but I low-key would have liked to see a trilogy centered around the Solo twins going awry with Jacen going apeshit. Loved "Young Jedi Knights" as a kid. It was probably not the best, but it was action packed and emotional enough (and MY GOD I had a massive crush on Tenel Ka) so why not a little bit of it? At least the first arc!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm half expecting a rushed-out extended cut of Rise to fix issues like it's Mass Effect 3 all over again

Personally I'll wind up accepting it all as canon, I didn't hate Rise, it was just disappointing after what TLJ set up. At the very least, future movies set in the Star Wars movies can be set hundreds of years in the future or past, so at the end of the day it barely matters.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
Nothing. I wish nothing more than that we could have just left Star Wars as a classic movie trilogy from the 70s-80s that didn't have its legacy tarnished by decades of terrible prequels and sequels. The story was done.

Agreed. As long as we're talking about headcanon, there are only three Star Wars movies.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I wouldn't have done it. I've not seen TROS, but the Sequel trilogy always had the problem of ROTJ ending perfectly for all those character. Any subsequent stories would completely overshadow any new character as why the fuck d I care about Rey or whoever when all I really want to know is where my boy Luke is at or what Leia has been up to. I think if it HAD to be done, I'd just take whatever George thought of and just follow his vision with refinements. He created those characters, Luke has a lot of George in him, so where he would like to take those characters is what I'd try to implement into a film trilogy.

However, as far as actual sequels, not a sequel trilogy following our OT character a couple decades after ROTJ, I'd do something completely different and new. I'd set it 100 if not 1,000 years after ROTJ with a whole new cast of characters and worlds devoid of Skywalkers and Palpatine, Empire v. Rebels. A whole new cast, a whole new conflict. That's what the series needs and I hope that is what Rian is cooking up.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what we got. Fantasizing about someone else's fantasy is a waste of time and will never live up to your exoectations.

SGRX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would have vastly preferred either a full reboot, or movies set in the distant past, or in a distant future that treated the six Lucas movies as nothing more than a historical reference. I liked the original trilogy, but that didn't mean I wanted to see the cast brought back to reprise those characters 40 years after the fact, and the Star Wars universe is too big and too diverse for everything to constantly revolve in some way around Anakin Skywalker and his descendants.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Would've started fresh, for one. Decades (maybe centuries!) later, no returning characters. No desert planets.

This is it right here. Have the balls to not rely on nostalgia and old characters. The best part of the new movies are the new characters and their time is wasted on callbacks to the original trilogy.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot that I would keep from the ST but I would definitely change quite a bit for my ideal. I wouldn't rely so much on planet destroying tech. I'd keep the Rey and Kylo dynamic and their connection which was the best and most interesting part. I wouldn't have Rey be a palpatine but I think Kylo as a Skywalker is interesting when you have the evil person with such a heroic legacy while the good person is "no one". I think making her no one was the right choice too.

I think the dynamic of the New Republic and a surprise attack by the First Order would be cool without Starkiller Base. I'd like more exploration of the New Republic and the political situation between it and the first order.

Like it starts out with rumors of far-flung planets being raided, children being taken, and stuff like that. Dismissed by some, investigated by others on Leia's side and they decide to take action without the New Republic's consent. Weave Rey, Finn, and Poe into that story rather than destroying it outright with Starkiller Base.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
No returning characters. Not a sequel to the old films. Perhaps just loosely based on old mythos

But I don't think the sequels are that bad, I just think that they kind of constrained themselves by making it a sequel in the first place. They should've made new star wars films for a new audience. For this generation of kids and youths, not for old fans

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I would have done the story they tried to emulate from the books and failed with. The Twin Saga

Jacen and Jaina story with the reforged republic, Luke and Mara together with their kid Ben, build up the Rogue Squadron characters and Wedge and characters like Han trying to deal with life not being a smuggler, bring back the wonder of exploring unknown regions of space with the kiddos, bring in other characters dealing with the remaining splinters of the Imps. It's that easy. Mandalorian does more with the splintered Empire than the entirety of the new films. The fact that the Imps just disappear in 20 years is just..so silly in a galaxy this big. Shame we didn't get more of the universe like the books did. We could have had a great new female force user as the main character, she could have had a big arc, genuine stakes of killing family, trained with mandalorians, etc. It could have done wonders with some editing.

Either that or something completely disconnected from the previous movies.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I know what I wanted from Episode 9, so it's basically TFA and TLJ plus my internalized fanfiction.

At the end of the day I'm still stoked we got two good sequels to ROTJ. If someone had told me that would happen in 2005, when ROTS was supposedly the last one, I would've considered that extremely fortunate.