• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
I was in Goonfleet during the two wars against Band of Brothers. Crazy times.
Ha so much has happened since then. Goons are now the biggest single alliance in eve and form the most powerful group (The Imperium).
As EVE is the only MMO I play, and have done for over 13 years, it's difficult to pick a singular moment. One that always sticks though is being in one of the first fleets ever to be hit by a Titan doomsday weapon. Over two hundred people in fleet moving to a new base. Everyone's excited. Cyno goes up, screen goes black, find myself floating in a pod along with everyone else. We had been hit by a doomsday and it had killed us all. Everyone on coms goes nuts, not because we died, but because it was an epic way to die.
Then there was the time we caught a titan fleet moving through gates and quickly jumped them and killed about five of them within a few minutes. That was fun.
Massive slugfests like the one in the video below are less fun and more a test of your endurance.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
G1, Maat, camping Lizzy or Empress, divine might, sky for the first time.

FFXI is really unmatched. I hate how the new games are afraid to put actual challenges in front of players.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Becoming a paying member in Runescape was huge. That world felt so vast to me even when I was on the free version so getting access to everything the game had to offer was mindblowing to me.

And while it's not a single moment necessarily I'd also say that the launch of the Stormblood expansion for FF XIV is probably my favourite moment.

I was out of work at the time so had plenty of time to kill and it was the first time I was able to fully experience a big content launch for the game. Those two events led to me sinking a lot of time into the game and experiencing a really lively community which was something I hadn't seen before in the game and really showed me how great that community is. It was a time when I needed something that I could turn to as a comfy distraction and XIV was able to deliver that in spades.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was in Goonfleet during the two wars against Band of Brothers. Crazy times.
Ha so much has happened since then. Goons are now the biggest single alliance in eve and form the most powerful group (The Imperium).
As EVE is the only MMO I play, and have done for over 13 years, it's difficult to pick a singular moment. One that always sticks though is being in one of the first fleets ever to be hit by a Titan doomsday weapon. Over two hundred people in fleet moving to a new base. Everyone's excited. Cyno goes up, screen goes black, find myself floating in a pod along with everyone else. We had been hit by a doomsday and it had killed us all. Everyone on coms goes nuts, not because we died, but because it was an epic way to die.
Then there was the time we caught a titan fleet moving through gates and quickly jumped them and killed about five of them within a few minutes. That was fun.
Massive slugfests like the one in the video below are less fun and more a test of your endurance.

To all y'all EVE players, SALUTE.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Tibia with friends at 14. Way back in 2005.

To understand the drama of the story, it should be explained that death in tibia carries harsh penalties. You lose everything in your bag, 10% chance of any weapon and armor equipped, but worst of all. You lose 10% of your experience.

Early on that isn't so bad, but for a higher level, that ends up being hundreds of hours training lost because of one mistake.

I was on a server called Mythera, in the capital city (Thais). In Thais there are two places were players cannot be killed, the temples and the depot. At this point I was in the depot when a guild war started on the streets. Within no time, one guild took control of the surrounding streets of the depot, and started chanting all over Thais in Portuguese. This was a guild known for killing players just due to disrespect.

I tried to wait it out inside, but the affair continued for several hours. With guild members patrolling the outside streets, killing anyone who did not wear guild colours. I made friends with another player, and together we refused to wear the colours while so many others did. Gradually we started to figure out an escape plan, which we figured would not succeed. But we had to try.

In a very brief moment, we ran onto the streets (covered in blood) and descended into a sewer nearby. We were spotted and chased by another player. We went different ways and manage to confuse him and get away unharmed. Walking alone through the sewers with knowledge that we would probably face other players soon, it felt impossible when we met unharmed several minutes out of the city.

We spent the next hour travelling through the world, trying to get to Venore, another city that was decidedly safer at the moment. Upon arrival we were invited to another guild, a safekeeping guild formed to try and fight next time such a massacre occurred.

I became really close with that player for a few years, and although it was just a game. It still remains one of my favourite gaming memories that I don't think another MMO will ever top. It was like something out of a movie.

Bare in mind, the game looks like this.

ThaisDepot.png

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
King's Fall raid on Destiny, hours of fun trying to finish and understanding the raid mechanics.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
FATE grinding in FFXIV around launch. Met many players, they eased me into game, all the while leveling really fast.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Ultima Online, Felucca, Tramel, Lord British.

And City of Heroes. I couldn't believe the character creation and power customization. It was unreal.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing came close to my FFXI experience, it ws my third MMO after 7th prophecy and Ultima Online. The sense of teamwork and helping each other was something that i fear i'll never experience ever again, because we can all agree they made MMO too easy anymore and way too solo friendly. No end-game don't count, this is the worse term i ever heard in a MMO, the fun is the quest, not the speudo 'end'. The sense of danger was so amazing, what a great feeling when having a hard fight and a high level mage pass by and start healing/or help. And after he help you to progress. And these party leveling sessions were memorable, meet new friend and all kind of different people.

One day... perhaps a japaness compagny will make another MMO like this... but with QOL
The mage example reminds me of when I was with a party in a dangerous location exp'ing. We wiped to a notorious monster, and this thief decked out in cool looking gear walked up to us and said, "Revenge." We allianced with the thief, and we tried to take the monster out. We failed but it was such a great experience.

I was a thief main, since the start, during my time leveling it I always, always had a hard time getting parties. Around crawler's nest levels I had a moment where veterans of the game were in a party with me talking about classes, how useful and useless they were. "Thief was just for Thief Hunter, they poke things with their worthless daggers." I was kind of second guessing my choice of playing thief at the time. I stuck with it though and I'm so glad I did. I had so many adventures and opportunities thanks to sticking with it. I ended up in a trio of treasure hunters, 2 thieves, and a mage (which I met at level 8 when he was a thief, but he changed to white mage, joined Japanese endgame king farming shell, and did Notorious monsters with me and a 3rd on the side for extra money).

I probably would have stuck with thief, but I'm sure that event were the thief allianced with my exp party gave me a drive to be more than a regular thief.

In limbus I tanked for a endgame ninja in a duo farm...
4Irk5rJ.jpg

I later killed that ninja in a 1 vs 1.
SGzw8EP.jpg

I tanked some interesting monsters for my linkshell, and thanks to early bonds with my Notorious Monster group, and being fully on board when the shell was created, I was pretty much high in command in my shell, a thief. I could experiment as a thief how I wanted without fear of being just a Treasure Hunter poker (no one in our shell had to fear for being told to be a certain way. We had a bard that wanted to tank Jailers in Sea, and it worked until it got nerfed). A good thing about having influence though, I made sure people wouldn't feel like they were in a job with our shell like some people I've seen in the game. Everyone could keep and have as many social shells as they wanted, they didn't have to play certain jobs if they didn't want, and they didn't even have to come to events.

It's not a singular MMO experience, but boy the whole experience will not be matched I feel. What a game.

Thief godly evasion + status bolts, and job abilities, were totally useful. Not just poking things.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has to be beating the unnerfed Chains Of Promathia expansion to FFXI with a scruffy pickup group consisting of just about the worst mix of jobs you could have. Stuff like beating Ouryo with no ranged damage was a bitch. I don't even remember how we managed it.
One person in the group had been playing for less than a month when we started.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It has to be beating the unnerfed Chains Of Promathia expansion to FFXI with a scruffy pickup group consisting of just about the worst mix of jobs you could have. Stuff like beating Ouryo with no ranged damage was a bitch. I don't even remember how we managed it.
One person in the group had been playing for less than a month when we started.
It was so fun haha. Oh man good times. I mean, yeah it was kind of annoying, but the feeling of every milestone was rewarding. Especially getting to Lufaise Meadows, Tavnazian Safehold, and the big one, Sky. Doing those trials made me realize I could tank, and get people to work together. I was a ninja spamming expensive shurikens to try to get aggro back, and it worked. It was so messy but a good messy.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Ultima Online Beta and all the related PvP and crafting shenanigans. It was very early in the MMO genre, very broken and a ton of fun.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
4-5 hours into FFXIV I've yet to see what makes Eorzea so good (have yet to dungeon so far) but I'll probably preorder Shadowbringers once preorders go online (thanks to the NieR raid) so I hope Heavensward & onward have great stuff. First MMO I'm really dabbling in, except...

..Realm of the Mad God. I really like RotMG for some reason. It's simple and it's fun.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with FFXI is that despite the internet being around and rudimentary wikis being available, for new players, it was very much like an old school style game. There's always mysteries, stories and adventure slightly out of reach. The main things were rumours were presistent and game mechanics like treasurehunter were never fully detailed so there were folklore like having a Lucky Egg in your inventory would give you TH1. Some peopel argued it was actually eating the lucky egg that gave you the bonus. These superstitions were reinforced by real game mechanics like crafting bonuses based on moon phases and facing the correct compass directions.

For the general newbie, You'll be in starter zones and you'll hear stuff going in a few zones away, but it's too high level and dangerous. As you level up, there's always stuff happening somewhere else that's a bit out of reach. Once you hit level 75, there's all these AF quests and NMs people are doing. And people need to keep in mind the process of leveling usually takes months and months. I think it took me about 6 months of not very casual leveling with questing and gil making breaks in between to get my first job to 75 and I was WHM so it wasn't hard finding PTs. So those rumours persist the entire time you're leveling up those six to eight months. It's not like you're friends are high level and doing stuff in a different zone and you're there with them the next weekend.

Clearing promyions and entering Lufaise meadows for the 1st time was a true achievement. If you checked someone and they had the Tamas ring in 2005 you knew they had a good CoP static to clear those insane fights to finish their progression.

The content is tiered in such a way that pushes people forward. The downside is not everyone gets there, but most people who reminisce about the game as it was were grateful theose goals were there for them even if they quit long before getting there. There's always insane stories about what they heard or saw in those high level zones.

That's the essential feeling missing in so many modern MMOs which is pretty much a guided tour your entire time through the game and then you hit end game and it's just a bunch of grindly stuff for cosmetics.

Last edited:

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Runescape in 06/07. My first, my favorite. Was the game to play in middle school.

I also had a good experience with Champions Online, the CoH successor, in 2010 or 11. As far as I could tell, the game wasn't particularly amazingly designed for an MMO, but the variety you could get out of the character creator was unmatched, and I think it still may be. I really like when a game lets me create/use a proper oddball as my avatar.

I think I tend to prefer the social aspects of MMOs to any other part. In that sense, they're one of the few genres I wholeheartedly prefer on PC, with a proper keyboard.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Diku mud, sadly couldn't get to other MMOs after that, just felt too much the same. (Although with graphics.)

Confusatron

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Keep sieges in Dark Age of Camelot. One night I was on with my alliance and it was a constant back and forth between us (Albion) and an army of Hibernians. Eventually, I left to go out with some friends that night. I got home around 2am and maybe a bit tipsy. Logged in, the siege was still going, I jumped right back in. I don't remember if we won, but it was a lot of fun.

hassler

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
No, asmodians are the enemies!
Ely/Asmo ratio was always worse for Asmo and I could never understand why everyone was playing as an ely. They're boring as hell and their world is your generic fantasy world (played as an ely few years later, but I had to drop it, so generic)
Asmo in the other hand looks awesome. Different skin colours, claws, tails, eyes glowing red. Idk why ely players coudn't bear it to the point Asmo side was modified, lost tail, claws and stuff so they could attract more ely players.
plus ely has boring kralls on theyir side. Asmo has COOL CATS, Maus with their awesome music theme

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
1. Final Fantasy XI leveling party XP chain zen flow. Camping NM spawns for shit to sell. Spending way too much time traversing zones.

2. Huttball in The Old Republic with some GAF on GAF action.

3. World of WarCraft: finally buying a goddamn epic mount.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Played a ton of them, still playing SWTOR, but the answer to the question for me is SWG. Galaxies was just such an amazing game from start to finish. Sure it went through chaotic changes during its time but it was unlike any other MMO that I've ever played. I just loved having my guild halls and vendors and visiting all the others that people made. There was a lot of great loot to collect and it just hooked me from the very start.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Nothing beat Ragnarok Online for me. I played it for almost 4 years and made lots of friends across the country. We've also met up a few times in various national events. My character never even reached the level cap, I simply enjoyed socializing with people, helping others (I'm a priest).

No, asmodians are the enemies!
Spoken like a true Ely.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Getting sucked into EVE Online back in '06 and then again in '11-12; joined an awesome Corp back in '12, exploration and wormholes were my thing. I eventually bought a Tengu and started speccing it out for PvE but stopped playing a couple months later after moving to another state; it never saw the outside of a hanger! Lol.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Getting my druid forms in Vanilla.

It was fantasy-crack to my 10 year old book-worm brain.

EDIT: Vanilla WoW, I mean.

Also, completing the questline for the lvl 60 Dreadsteed for Warlock.

Deleted member 2099

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hehe wow! This thread was surely insightful to me. I'm loving all the feedback sentimental posts that everyone has shared. I can't relate too much with this thread because it was only in September that I got into my very first MMO in all my years of gaming and living... besides Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst. My true first MMO game is World of WarCraft: Battle for Azeroth. I know it hasn't been the best expansion installment or so I hear but to me this was the experience I enjoyed to have.

I'll never forget the feeling of launching the game and hearing this login music. It is just so pumping and a bit of adrenaline when I play the game. It gave me such a welcoming impression, as if the game was waiting for me specifically to get into it and play it. It felt triumphant for me to sit down and create my character, figuring out who to side with. The whole thing felt so invigorating to finally take part of this MMO, after so many years of neglecting the genre. This login felt as though it was calling for me, and thus I finally answered the call to take part of this beautiful yet ancient game.

And so I finally understood what the love for this game is about. I felt bad for a bit for doing so, because I clearly was missing out on a lot of fun. Because that was the only thing that made me feel... foreign or alienated to the game. I jumped in at such a odd time that I had no idea what the story was like, and I still don't as I haven't covered much of the game due to my subscription running out. But this is a MMO I intend to return to and figure it all out to the fullest. This is a MMO I can see myself playing and enjoying.

As to who I sided with after I was fawning over the login screen with it's soundtrack... I ended up siding with the Horde because they have my favorite race, the Blood Elves. I created all characters to be Blood Elves with each class that is available to them. The Blood Elves with their culture, their part in the history, and their lore from my thus far understanding of them, has me easily hooked and loyal to their faction alone. This means that the Blood Elf race is rather a beneficiary to the Horde and not the other way around, for me at least. They felt like family to me and that they give such humble, honorably home vibes.

I'll never forget after creating my character, I am then loaded into the Blood Elf land aka Eversong Woods... and there it is, again the soundtrack and the scenery of the place allured me even more. I was glorified with their language, and the soundtrack. I'll never forget just reading what the NPCs have to say, quest line or not, and going on about in fulfilling their needs of me... even if it was just a "tutorial". The whole experience and memory of this game with the Blood Elves was just filled with so much immersion.

Sometimes I would take a small break in between the quests and just go for a stroll in the Blood Elf homeland. Enjoying my time of walking around, listening to the music, and really just getting taken back. Lost in words, in awe and amazement of the race and everything that had to do with them. Thus I finally came to the capital of the Blood Elves after my leisure and working hours of playing the game... and I was overjoyed at the sight of the Silver Moon City. It felt so grandiose to be in the presence of just the palace.

I welcomed myself home, and embraced of what I have became... a Blood Elf. Bal'a dash, malanore. Remember the Sunwell. Shorel'aran. ❤️🌹

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Can't really think of a singular event, but FFXIV as a whole has been an experience I won't forget.

It was my first MMO, so it was the first time I got to experience the feeling of "everyone around me is a player, whoa."

It was the first time I had someone go out of their way to help me, as a new player, struggling to understand the game. At no benefit to them. If it wasn't for that person I probably wouldn't still be playing a year later (sadly I changed servers).

It was the first time I could log into a game more eager to chat with my friends rather than play the actual game.

And it was where I met my SO. I never thought my life could reflect an anime, but cringe or not it did.

But if I had to pick just one... It would be when my Free Company (guild) ran a 24 man raid on the day it was released without knowing any details about the fights and having a blast over voice chat.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has to be Ragnarok Online. I played a crapton with my RL friend from school and met some good online buddies through the game too. Lots of fun, tho I can't recall a lot of particular moments.
My single favourite experience has to be the time I managed to go Metal Gear Solid during some WoE battle. It's probably way less epic than it felt for me at that time, but I'm still typing it out.

For context: for some reason me and my friend played the US international version (because it was ahead of EU servers?). Because of that (and maybe my internet being shoddy in general) all the responses to my action were pretty slow, atleast 1+ second before my character would walk or activate a skill. Doing skill combos or anything with precision was impossible for me. So I rather just click and hold the auto-attack button as a main way of attacking. Ended up becoming an "crit" Assassin class to "help break the crystal" during WoE. No skills needed, just hold down that attack button.
WoE being War of Emperium, 2 hours of PvP combat in castles in certain map locations. Damaging and eventually "breaking" the crystal inside the castle would conquer the castle for one guild (whose member got the last hit in) and teleport all non-guild members some place outside on the map. When the 2 hours period is over the current guilds keep their castles. This PvP was one of the main pulls of the game for me, but because I was playing the US server the times would be on a wednesday 3AM to 5AM and on a sunday from 6AM to 8AM. Wednesday was impossible for me, but I'd wake up on a sunday early as shit just to play the damn pvp with the guild.

Sometimes I woke up early and it turns out none of the other guild members (or ally guilds) would bother with WoE that day. Damnit, I woke up early for that shit! Well I'm awake now, might aswell walk around and do something. It's in times like these that I sneaked through the chaos of major PvP battles going on and try to sneakingly break crystals all solo (which I actually managed to do twice, ha). Assassin skills were very useful for this, Cloaking allowed me to run around invisibly, while the thief skill Hiding would make me stationary, but made me invisible and also made me invulnerable to magic AoE damage as long as I wasn't spotted. Switching between the two was pretty easy, tho other players would see your skill name being used.
With the way moving from room to room (and map to map) works in Ragnarok Online, you basically had these big glowy circles that indicated it would get you to a new location and basically had your character teleport in with a loud noise, even when it was just doors in a castle, lol. However, these teleport locations wouldn't work if you were cloaked or hidden. So guilds guarding the castle would all stand position near one of those doors, while other guilds on the "other side" would try to coordinate what they would do, who would take out what class, etc. Me on the other hand would cloak and wait alongside the attacking guild and go in with them the moment they'd run in, hoping I wouldn't immediately get wrecked by AoE magic from the defending guild. Sometimes it worked and I quickly cloaked and moved back on top of the glowy blue teleport spot that would teleport me back to the other room. There I'd hide to keep myself from getting hit by magic. By moving deep into the teleport field it was less likely any other player with a skill that would de-cloak me could catch me.

After things calmed down and the attacking guild was done away with, I sneaked past the defending guild's heavily fortified line of multiplayer players, through these very small hallways, into the next room where the crystal was completely undefended. Thought it'd be awesome if I could surprise that lot by breaking that thing under their noses... buuut, I guess they get alerted when their crystal is damaged? Two players suddenly came walking into the room as I was chipping away on that crystal and saw me. I cloaked and hid somewhere at different spots as I moved about. What followed was some goofy looking scene where a whole bunch of players came running in with a speed up buff, trying to detect me with their different detection skills, checking in old spots I just moved away from, barely missing me when rushing past me in the small hallways, etc. I somehow avoided detection even as I was switching between the crystal room and defending room to hide in. It went on long, must've run around for 15 minutes.
But after that, two players kept a constant watch over the crystal and I couldn't get near anymore. I waved /hello from the other side of a wall, they just stared me down. WoE time was also about to run out and it didn't seem like another guild was going to attack. So I sneaked back to the defending line, who seemed to be chillaxing and chatting for the most part, placed a poison bomb and had a /laugh. Then their hunter proceeded to get up and give me a face full of arrows.

So yeah, even tho most of the WoE experiences were more work and a bother to even wake up to do it than they were fun, that experience is one of my favourite online multiplayer experiences in general. Just a weirdly tense, goofy chase in a game that's not really built for it.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Age of Conan, although the devs really dropped the ball post launch. And the community was nothing short of the worst ever. Still, I got to participate in the best PVP guild in the whole game for a couple years and had a ton of fun.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
Ultima Online, the day they decided to open Doom. We were waiting for it for a long time and it was probably the best moment on UO.
I'll never forget the time I spent on that MMO. I am playing FFXIV now and it's awesome, but UO will be forever with me.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If it counts: the original Guild Wars remains one of the most innovative MMO types ever made. It was more in line with Destiny and PS:O with its instanced areas, but it had so many great mechanics and designs that it stood out from the crowd.

GW2 being a more standard MMO was one of my biggest disappointments in gaming.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
As much as I don't think I could ever go back to FFXI, I have really great memories of playing a monk with my college friends, and leveling for hours and hours. Had so much fun with that game. I was fucking hooked.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Wandering through Neocron for the very first time was one of those moments. Not only did the game appeal to me with its cyberpunk setting and nowadays (for MMOs) unusual skill system and non-theme-park-mechanics, but I remember one moment specifically: There was a plaza zone where all people met for trading and services and there were no safe zones back then. Means, PvP could happen everywhere and everytime and this particular zone had been established as main trading center because of its location. But some factions (there were nine or so, I think) had their own trading spots because they were enemies of some other factions (for nowadays standards it had a complex faction system with 'neutral', 'friendly' and 'enemy' which could also shift) and were usually killed on sight by enemy faction's NPCs (enemy players could still trade with each other, it was really up to the player on how to interact with each other, no matter what faction). A high level enemy sniper appeared and killed some of the (player) traders and vanished via stealth only to come back a minute later and murder, repeatedly, more people. Soon, about fifty people were hunting him down and it took 15 minutes of chasing and fighting and they finally got him.

This rarely happened because there were high level NPCs, as well, shooting enemy faction's players to defend and help the player characters, but this guy knew some good blind spots where the NPCs couldn't reach and/or shoot him.

Those memories... no hand holding, no safe zones, so many player-invented stories and events. I also remember a wedding between player characters (role play was a thing) that was ambushed by some other faction. I don't remember the story behind that event anymore, though. Yep, Neocron's world was harsh. People could kill you or screw you over, taking services but not paying for it, for example. But it had its own justice system, purely player invoked and if you were known as someone who screw over other players you were often killed, no matter the ('friendly') faction status. Often there was a bounty, too, which was paid manually, and not by a game's mechanics (you usually bring along the dog tag, each player is dropping every time they die, as proof of kill).

So many great memories and experiences, actually.

Rooster

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting some giant boss in Age of Conan with a group nowhere near strong enough. Adds keep wiping us out. I use the massive aggro generated by my terrible ranger build to attract the boss and run away, he's too slow to catch me, the rest of the group deals with the adds, then we deal with the boss.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Our first steps in the Northrend, because WotLK was going to achieve a story started in 2003 with Frozen Throne. The atomsphere was solemn and crackling at the same time. We had all passed an uncalculable number of hours under the same narrative arc and finally were close to end it.

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
FFXI was the most beautiful experience for me. What a world was Vana'diel... so magical and with that OST.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anything will beat my experience with FATEs in Costa Del Sol in FFXIV

So, I'm grinding FATEs, as one did, and a FATE called "It's Not Lupus" spawned. It's a giant crab boss named Cancer, and it's almost like the FATE zone boss. I'm on a FATE grind train while I have chemotherapy so, I just engage it, not really thinking twice. I get startled by my nurse, who has looked over to my screen while she's hanging up my chemotherapy, who has gone "Are you...are you fighting cancer?". Next thing I know, I have 3 nurses all huddled around the laptop, watching the FATE train murder Cancer, and they all woop and cheer when we successfully take it down.

meadowdrone

Oct 27, 2017
UK
final fantasy 14 heavensward was so damn good i wish i could relive it again
You took the words out of my mouth. I levelled Astrologian before starting the story, going through dungeons with tons of ASTs and Dark Knights because there were barely any machinists to queue with, then got to experience the story over a few days and god it was so good. I have similarly fond memories of going through ARR from the alpha, it was the first MMO I got into but I enjoyed feeling a bit lost and overwhelmed and the world areas and field music were, and still are, just so amazing. If SB has a new healer job, which I presume it will, then I'll be doing the same thing again.

Though a bit more of an "online" memory is Binding Coil when I didn't really have any awareness of what a raid was or entailed. I ended up subbing in for a group on a whim and I beat turns 1-4 with barely any wipes thanks to good mic communication from a static leader who understood I was new, I was so proud. They mentioned how much more hardcore T5 was though and boy this is something I have some strong memories of - the whole setting of Binding Coil is still so amazing, and fighting the boss on Bahamut's gigantic claw paired with the incredibly tense and dramatic music was just amazing. I don't know if I cleared it when it was current (I think after echo buffs in 2.1 etc) as I didn't commit to a raid group but still it was a really special introduction to hardcore raids, especially thanks to the Coil's story, setting and atmosphere which I think haven't been topped in many aspects, even if Alexander and Omega had their own particular high points. The very tangible feeling of going deeper and deeper into the planet to uncover the secrets of the calamity gave off such a thick and tense atmosphere - I love games that do this well.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
Aion back in the day was tons of fun. All of my friends were playing as well and we'd play for pretty much all day. I don't think I'll enjoy another MMO as much as Aion. Loved everything about it. Gladiator for life. It fucking sucks though that Aion 2 is a mobile game.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a particular encounter that marked me, but my time playing Tibia was some of the best I've ever had with gaming. It was the only period of my life when I could have that experience of playing something at home and then talking about it at school with my friends the next day. Going to someone's house after school so they could show us something crazy that they found the other day, it was fantastic.

Still one of my favorite games, and by far my favorite MMO. What an amazing world to explore. I still find the way spells and conversations work in that game to be something very special.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
FFXI, first Dynamis-Windurst, I don't think many of us had done it before, triggering the Death House. Either that or 1st taste of endgame going to Sky and fighting Kirin, undergeared and underprepared, we took so long his 2hr recharged.

H4zeVentura

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 28, 2018
+1 for Vanilla WoW + TBC

I was 13 when I started with vanilla. At that time, I was already a huge Warcraf-Fan, sunkend a good thousand hours in WC3 + TFT.
Running with my human Mage around in Stormwind, seeing the Scholomance and to visit all those places from the WC3 Campagne was truly magical.

I am hundret percent certain, that I will never experience something like this again and it's kinda sad.

I am still playing WoW on private Servers (TBC + WOTLK) and still love it, but man, 2004-2008 was the time to be alive.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
Vanilla WoW and The Burning Crusade for me. And since it's unlikely I will ever be able to commit such enormous quantities of time, that will likely remain my top mmo experience.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
For me it was an RP PvP "war" that happened between a guild of "Pirates" and a guild of "Picts" on the starting island of Age of Conan, on a french PvP-RP server. Pure dumb fun and stupid RP all around for a few months. The poor bystanders had no idea what was going on.