• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Opinion on L3 as Sprint?

• Love it

Votes: 158 12.2%
  • Like it

Votes: 178 13.7%
  • Don't care or don't mind

Votes: 258 19.9%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 310 23.9%
  • Hate it

Votes: 392 30.2%

• Total voters

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
It's fine if:

a) It's click to sprint, not hold
b) The game mechanics dont call for precision in regards to when you're sprinting vs not (ie L3 sprint would be bad for dark souls)

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
L3 & R3 should be removed from controllers altogether, honestly. Terrible button placement for everything.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
As long as you only have to click l3 once its fine. I only have an issue when you are forced to hold down l3 if you ever want to run.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like it but I wonder how much it effects your analogs durability. If it just increases the chances of drifting then I'd like to remove clicking altogether.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I much prefer when games let you configure it to other buttons (My preference is the right shoulder / R1 button).

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the club that likes to click once, hates to have to hold it in. Better than holding for crouch though, that can require more precise movement that's hard while also holding it in, while running is just holding it to the edge without worrying about holding the stick still mid way.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I like R3 for lock on and nothing else. And I hate L3 for anything. Would much rather have sprint on L1 or R1. Hopefully next gen consoles just add paddles.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
L3/R3 for anything sucks. Maybe just for a look behind you, if you don't use it much.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I don't like it at all. Never dealt with it before COD4, now every game has it. I prefer double-tap as in BF1/4. Some games don't even let you re-map it to maybe a face-button or a trigger. It's ruined a controller of mine before (a DualShock 3).

Don't like it.
this... but I got used to it... what I can't stand even more is
MELEE tied to R3...
how am I supposed to aim the camera and stab someone?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

What the hell are these results? Clicking in L3 is simple.

It's not about it being simple, it's about it being a shitty thing to use for something you're already using the stick for, in this case: sprinting. You're already having to rotate the stick to a position to move, when you have to press it to sprint you are actually putting more stress on the stick itself and the mechanism, no matter how well designed, isn't designed for that repetitive stress. The day I got paddles and buttons on my controllers felt like the day I wouldn't have a stick wear out ever again.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Click to sprint is fine. I find it a bit uncomfortable on Xbox controller due to the stick's position

Agent 47

Banned
Jun 24, 2018
It's not about it being simple, it's about it being a shitty thing to use for something you're already using the stick for, in this case: sprinting. You're already having to rotate the stick to a position to move, when you have to press it to sprint you are actually putting more stress on the stick itself and the mechanism, no matter how well designed, isn't designed for that repetitive stress. The day I got paddles and buttons on my controllers felt like the day I wouldn't have a stick wear out ever again.
What are you doing to your sticks? I've never worn our or broke sticks on a controller.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
What are you doing to your sticks? I've never worn our or broke sticks on a controller.
I've not, personally, but my wife has and you cannot tell me that a button being pushed by shoving the stick downward while ALSO pushing it forward is at all good for the mechanism when used frequently. Using it for selection, menus, whatever where it's used sparingly or at least not as frequently while also moving the stick (like in most FPS) isn't really a problem, but if you are moving forward, hit button, stop, move, move forward, hit button, repeat it's not good for it because of the angle it hits at. That and, frankly, it's a little awkward and I have one of my paddles/buttons under the controller set as L3 so I don't have to.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Works perfectly fine for me.

The worst is repeatedly tapping a button to sprint (*glares at Rockstar*).

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If PS5 comes with programmable back buttons I will be setting them to L3/R3 and never clicking a stick ever again. It's been a terrible input from the start and never got any better.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hate it, it's why I love my Elite controller (or paddles in general) so I can just assign that to a paddle.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
R3 drives me crazy but L3 has never bothered me very much. It doesn't often feel like I need such precise control of the left stick that the required pressure to click it in interferes with anything. [Well, in most genres, at least. Wouldn't be fantastic in a racing game I guess lol]

I immediately mapped it to a paddle once I got an Elite controller, though.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Im always uncomfortable pressing either L3 or R3, It feels like I'm going to break the controller.

I can't imagine having to hold it down while moving.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it on FPS games, but doing it on third person games isn't ideal. I liked RE2's clicking R1/RB option, much easier on the thumb.

Oct 25, 2017
does L3 mean pushing in a thumbstick? [sorry don't play playstation enough to know this stuff].

if so, i dunno - i think there doesn't exist a perfect sprint button on consoles.

they all annoy me.

pushing in the thumbstick gives me numb thumb pretty quickly, but i can't imagine sacrificing any other button to it, so...

*shrug

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
There should be a law against mapping anything to pressing analog sticks. Luckily, this particular abomination is almost exclusively used in games I wouldn't play anyway, i.e. shooters.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's not terrible, but if there's available space for it I prefer to map sprint to a shoulder button. Ideally I can put jump on L1 and Sprint on R1. That's how I play Risk of Rain 2.

I've broken many controllers by overplaying games with L3 and R3 clicks. Apex Legends, I'm looking at you.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I hate it. L3/R3 never feel good to me to press, much less making it a necessary button.

Dragon Quest XI has dashing be on the Right Trigger, now that feels real good.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I hate it so much that I wish there was a stronger option that "Hate it" in the poll!

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's okay if it's just a click, but why is there a sprint button at all? The sticks are analog for a reason. If I'm pushing all the way, it should be the fastest speed.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's eh. Want complex control mechanics in 3D games played with a controller? You're gonna have to deal with awkward placement of functions every now and then. (or, like, most of the time, but hey who's counting right)

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's okay if it's just a click, but why is there a sprint button at all? The sticks are analog for a reason. If I'm pushing all the way, it should be the fastest speed.

L3 is usually the Call of Duty style sprint where your weapon is unavailable while sprinting.

If it wasn't a dedicated button your weapon would drop every time you pushed the left thumbstick all the way forward and that would be awkward.

Edgeward

Oct 27, 2017
Once I was able to put sprint from a left stick click to a paddle, it change my comfort a lot. It wasn't annoying before but now that I done it, it's all I want to be able to do on every game that has it.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I like L3 as sprint.
I don't like needing to take my thumb off the right stick to hit a face button to run in a game.
Especially in a third person game where I want to run and move the camera at the same time.

The worst offender has to be Breath of the Wild.
Who maps a run button waaaaaay up there on the Switch's X button?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I hate clicking those sticks, but its probably the most convenient option, and better taking up some other button.

The one that sort of vexes me more in shooters like CoD is the R3 melee. Its quite often I wind up pushing the fucking thing while quickly trying to aim at someone who suddenly pops into view (since CoD is so fast paced), and you end up whiffing a melee instead of actually shooting someone. But again, I map it elsewhere, and it just puts some other control in a shitty position (and the melee likely too out of reach to be useful in a live situation)