• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Opinion on L3 as Sprint?

• Love it

Votes: 158 12.2%
  • Like it

Votes: 178 13.7%
  • Don't care or don't mind

Votes: 258 19.9%
  • Don't like it

Votes: 310 23.9%
  • Hate it

Votes: 392 30.2%

• Total voters

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Absolutely hate it. Using it a lot in Black Ops 4 actually broke the left analog stick of one of my controllers, forcing me to buy a new one. The constant pressing and holding of the analog stick wore it down so much that even regular movement, in every game, randomly got reduced to an unresponsive stutter.

Plus keeping it pressed down while also pushing the stick forward to move is just awkward.
You only have to tap it. Mother of god. Does no one know this???

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Should be a face button. Or maybe it would be fine if instead of pressing the stick in, there was a literal button on the stick.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Should be a face button. Or maybe it would be fine if instead of pressing the stick in, there was a literal button on the stick.
The problem with it being a face button is that it takes control away from the right stick. When you say pressing the stick in do you mean pressing and holding? Because with most games it is a toggle. I actually think, from reading this thread, that a lot of folks don't realise that it's a toggle, and that they are actually holding the left stick down while sprinting. Which is very uncomfortable. I find that L3 is perfect for sprinting as a toggle of course, and I very much enjoy R3 as a shoulder swap in 3rd person games. Just seems like the most intuitive use for those buttons.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The problem with it being a face button is that it takes control away from the right stick. When you say pressing the stick in do you mean pressing and holding? Because with most games it is a toggle. I actually think, from reading this thread, that a lot of folks don't realise that it's a toggle, and that they are actually holding the left stick down while sprinting. Which is very uncomfortable. I find that L3 is perfect for sprinting as a toggle of course, and I very much enjoy R3 as a shoulder swap in 3rd person games. Just seems like the most intuitive use for those buttons.

I sort of know it's a toggle. Like, intuitively I know that, but I often end up holding in anyways because I'm not used to something like run being a toggle (for example, in something like Super Mario Bros, run being a toggle would go against every grain of muscle memory I have).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I like it. It's definitely better than in Yakuza 3 where I'm constantly making the minimap shift every time I inadvertently click it.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
I sort of know it's a toggle. Like, intuitively I know that, but I often end up holding in anyways because I'm not used to something like run being a toggle (for example, in something like Super Mario Bros, run being a toggle would go against every grain of muscle memory I have).
That's a habit you should definitely train yourself out of. Holding down L3 while trying to comfortably control the left stick for movement is really hard, and not on just your fingers, but also your poor controller.

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Why is there a button at all? The stick is analog, so pushing it to its housing is running, if you want to move slow, do so by only moving it slightly. The analog movement is not only directional :o)

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Why is there a button at all? The stick is analog, so pushing it to its housing is running, if you want to move slow, do so by only moving it slightly. The analog movement is not only directional :o)
In a lot of games you'll be jogging more than sprinting, so sprinting is really more of an outlier used in specific circumstances. So if that sprint was activated by a full push of a left stick, then you'll accidentally be doing it all the time, and you'll also be having to push the analogue stick in about 3 quarters all the time for more normal movement speed too, which would get tiring.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
You only have to tap it. Mother of god. Does no one know this???
I knew. BO4 allows you to set L3 either to toggle or to hold to sprint. I had it set to toggle. But since the toggle will automatically disable when you leave sprint, you still end up tapping it a lot, especially in regular multiplayer with its breakneck pace.

I guess you could argue I should have changed my playstyle. I would argue that Sony should make sturdier controllers and Black Ops 4 should let you to map sprint to a different button.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I don't hate it but for god's sake why do I have to STOP to cancel the sprint? Why can't I just click L3 again to reverse back to walking?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
What game does this? Most I play allow you to stop sprinting by clicking the stick.

Most FPS games don't, and it's not in the settings.

Take Battlefield and Call of Duty for example, if you want to stop sprinting you have to let go of the L stick (which means stopping) and then push it again to walk.

You can't freely switch between sprint & walk like using the Shift key on PC.

Mr Punished

Oct 27, 2017
OUTER HEAVEN
Most FPS games don't, and it's not in the settings.

Take Battlefield and Call of Duty for example, if you want to stop sprinting you have to let go of the L stick (which means stopping) and then push it again to walk.

You can't freely switch between sprint & walk like using the Shift key on PC.
I just loaded up Battlefield and you're right, you can't cancel out a sprint by toggling the left stick button. You can however still cancel it out by slowing the left stick softly to about the halfway point to transition back into standard running speed, which as it turns out is what I do without really thinking about it, you can also cancel it by aiming which still keeps some momentum as opposed to stopping completely. I do agree that everything should be a toggle, I wonder if developers have done some testing and found people tap the left stick too much and so they don't allow a toggle. Nonetheless there should definitely be a toggle option. Sony and Microsoft should do what Steam controller support does and allow each game to be configured in great detail, it definitely helps due to developers not often giving a lot of options in that regard.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I just loaded up Battlefield and you're right, you can't cancel out a sprint by toggling the left stick button. You can however still cancel it out by slowing the left stick softly to about the halfway point to transition back into standard running speed, which as it turns out is what I do without really thinking about it, you can also cancel it by aiming which still keeps some momentum as opposed to stopping completely. I do agree that everything should be a toggle, I wonder if developers have done some testing and found people tap the left stick too much and so they don't allow a toggle. Nonetheless there should definitely be a toggle option. Sony and Microsoft should do what Steam controller support does and allow each game to be configured in great detail, it definitely helps due to developers not often giving a lot of options in that regard.

Yeah that's probably it.

It's definitely more of a fool proof design to prevent confusion but personally I just hate it, this is the reason why I actually prefer hold to sprint on slower paced shooters like RE2 Remake.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
I don't like it when I have to hold the button. I recall having a game with some infiltration parts, and it was "hold L3 to crouch" like wtf. Having to constantly press a stick reduce the stick precision IMO.

Oh, and what about the double press on sticks ? Like in The Witcher 3 to call your horse...

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
It's fine as long as you only have to click it once, games where you have to hold it in are the worst.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's actually bad in general and pretty much the worst on a DualShock with those symmetrical sticks.

I don't know where we went backwards when Super Mario 64 did it better in 1996.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love it.
I'm astounded how many people here are doing it wrong. You just click it while pushing forward on the stick. Not hold it down while pushing forward, that sounds clunky and horrible.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I hate it. It's very awkward and you can't smoothly transition between walking and sprinting.

Jan 10, 2018
It feels very natural and I'm not sure if any alternative is better. When you move the sprint button to something else everything just becomes awkwardly placed. You want attack, aim and grenade/ability on the shoulder buttons and occasionally jump. It's all about moving the camera while you perform certain action and L3 for sprint really works well for that.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Over time it has destroyed multiple controllers for me and it also feels clunky, that's why in the accessibility options I swap L3 with L2, it's so much better. Just glance your finger over L2 to begin a sprint. In Siege it means I also lean left when I press L2 so I swapped R3 and R2 as well.

Of course many games use L2 for aiming so I use L1 for aim and R1 for fire as it should be.

Last edited:

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Stuff of the devil. Can't understand how anyone likes it.

It also eventually fucks up some sticks.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a game where you're having to use it for long periods it starts to get uncomfortable after a while

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I like it.
I'd prefer it on a shoulder, but most games use those for more important functions (I'd prioritise shoot on R2 over sprint).

That being said, some games, with MoH Airborne being a recent one that I tried, manage to screw L3 sprint up, and that always feels awful.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
My opinion is that the controller designs we have right now are outdated and a lot of this stuff could've been solved a long time ago if there'd be willingness to innovate. It's a bit ridiculous that a keyboard and a mouse (devices that were never specifically designed for FPS games and the likes) are still better and more precise in many ways than what we're all currently using. The PlayStation and Xbox Controllers have barely changed over the past 20 years, yet they set the standard for developers. You probably won't see any real innovation in the next gen console controllers either, so this will bring us to a quarter century of controllers adhering to the same old standard.

My hope was that the next-gen controllers would be closer to the Oculus VR Controllers, meaning split, with 6DOF support. Add Grip Buttons to that and developers would already be able to develop these games in a wildly different way and I'm pretty sure with that setup you could come up with a design that feels more comfortable to play on a controller than it would on KB&M, but alas...

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
If the other buttons have better purpose, sure. As long as I dont need to move any of my thumps

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I really hate it and wonder how any developer could think of it as a good idea.

The worst cases of course are games that don't let you remap it to other buttons.
It made me stop playing Star Wars Battlefront much sooner than I thought for instance.

iirc it's also in Xenoblade Chronicles X, but at least in this game you can first press L3 to prepare your dash then move afterwards.
You don't have to press it while moving it, which really is the worst to me.

What other "big" games force you to press L3 while moving it, like SW Battlefront? (Of course I guess Battlefront 2 is in the same boat)

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
If sprint is mapped to any other button it's much more likely that you have to hold it down, with no toggle option, so I like L3 more.
And that's where my thumb always rests so it's in the best position anyway.

Aug 12, 2019
This is an issue for people? It's a super simple control option that keeps your thumb on the stick where you're naturally controlling movement and its an easy toggle in most games since the stick is used for precise walking to jogging anyway, so it gives a further range of control to begin with. Putting it on a face button or elsewhere just seems asinine since you're actively taking away some other control element to change how you sprint. Like, is it my favorite thing in the world? No, but there's literally no issue with it and I don't know how the hell you all break your controllers sprinting. The only issue I've ever had is breaking through the covering on the stick because I didn't cut my nails low enough, but that's just entirely on me at that point and not L3 sprinting.

This is such a weird thing to complain about unless you genuinely have some sort of issue preventing you from using L3 comfortably.