• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's Mallsoft.

I discovered this lovely sub-sub-genre of music in the early days of the COVID-19 Pandemic (early 2020), and it's easily the most delightfully niche interest that I have going at the moment. If you don't know, Mallsoft is a subgenre of Vaporwave that attempts to create an ambiance similar to that of shopping malls from the 80's and 90's through the use of heavy reverb/distortion effects applied to muzak-esque tracks with other sounds layered in like advertisements echoing from a simulated loudspeaker and the din of a bustling mall interior.

I find this niche little subgenre of music to be especially appealing right now with malls and big box retail struggling like never before due to the pandemic. The gradual demise of shopping malls in the wake of internet shopping has been something that most Americans have observed for the last decade or so, but COVID-19 really accelerated the decay. That's why I really enjoy how this music conjures up feelings of being among throngs of happy shoppers in a giant shopping mall that many of us enjoyed as youths in the 80's and 90's. It's bittersweet in that it brings back pleasant memories of an experience that has largely died out or is at least on the verge of vanishing completely.

Here are two examples of what Mallsoft sounds like:

Given that it's made to sound like unobtrusive background music, it has been perfect as music to work remotely to at home during COVID.

So that's mine. I look forward to hearing everyone else's obscure interests or hobbies, and I hope to maybe stumble upon a new one for myself via this thread.

Last edited:

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Mine was also found in COVID: starting with Super Tuesday this year, I started going back at states' electoral history, mostly into Senate races, to see historical trends, it's probably started a lifelong hobby honestly, election statistics are very fun to dig through

Oct 29, 2017
MOD REQUEST: If someone could change the thread title to incredibly niche I would appreciate it.

For me it's Mallsoft.

I discovered this lovely sub-sub-genre of music in the early days of the COVID-10 Pandemic (early 2020), and it's easily the most delightfully niche interest that I have going at the moment. If you don't know, Mallsoft is a subgenre of Vaporwave that attempts to create an ambiance similar to that of shopping malls from the 80's and 90's through the use of heavy reverb/distortion effects applied to muzak-esque tracks with other sounds layered in like advertisements echoing from a simulated loudspeaker and the din of a bustling mall interior.

I find this niche little subgenre of music to be especially appealing right now with malls and big box retail struggling like never before due to the pandemic. The gradual demise of shopping malls in the wake of internet shopping has been something that most Americans have observed for the last decade or so, but COVID-19 really accelerated the decay. That's why I really enjoy how this music conjures up feelings of being among throngs of happy shoppers in a giant shopping mall that many of us enjoyed as youths in the 80's and 90's. It's bittersweet in that it brings back pleasant memories of an experience that has largely died out or is at least on the verge of vanishing completely.

Here are two examples of what Mallsoft sounds like:

Given that it's made to sound like unobtrusive background music, it has been perfect as music to work remotely to at home during COVID.

So that's mine. I look forward to hearing everyone else's obscure interests or hobbies, and I hope to maybe stumble upon a new one for myself via this thread.

That's super interesting and now that I'm wfh again I'm going to check this out. Too bad there isn't a dead rising 5 to play that features this music in a mall setting.
For me I've gotten into tinkering with old computer hardware and software again. This time it's classic macintoshes. I just imaged a power Mac 9600/300 and grabbed some interesting 90s software. Growing up on windows, Mac OS 7-9 is really fun to play with.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Niche outside of Japan due to language barrier/limited access : Japanese comedy (be it variety shows, late-night radio shows, on-stage shows).
At first it was mostly a way to improve my Japanese skills, and I've been hooked ever since. It's such a fascinating and massive world to dive into. The hierarchy, the relationships between the different acts, the evolution and diversity of styles...
It's pretty much impossible for me to go back to American (and French) comedy nowadays, it just feels too samey.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I also enjoy watching YouTube videos in which people from other countries do their best impressions of Americans and American accents. I've watched dozens of these.

It cracks me up to see that the majority of people around the world associate Americans with either southern country bumpkins or valley girls.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Watching recorded video footage of regular people from the 80's and 90's.

It's incredible to see what social life used to look like before I was born.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I also enjoy watching YouTube videos in which people from other countries do their best impressions of Americans and American accents. I've watched dozens of these.

It cracks me up to see that the majority of people around the world associate Americans with either southern country bumpkins or valley girls.

This is funny.

Also thanks for the Mallsoft, this is great. I love ambient music and this is like, ambient music turned up to 11. Or... Turned... down to 0?

To answer your question... Most of my interests are pretty well covered in one part of the internet or another. I guess I'm really into statuary, and busts and things like that? I'd love to have a marble bust someday. Was in love ever after seeing this as a kid at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts
veiled-lady-crop-1150x800.jpg

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Watching recorded video footage of regular people from the 80's and 90's.

It's incredible to see what social life used to look like before I was born.

I also enjoy watching these types of videos, but it's nostalgic for me because I was born in 1986 and actually lived through those periods of time.

I wish I could see them through your eyes to get a sense of how foreign they look to somebody who grew up in the 21st Century.

Oct 27, 2017
I also enjoy watching these types of videos, but it's nostalgic for me because I was born in 1986 and actually lived through those periods of time.

I wish I could see them through your eyes to get a sense of how foreign they look to somebody who grew up in the 21st Century.
Born in '85 and same.

HUGE nostalgia/melancholy rush. Can't imagine what it's like for the Gen Z crowd to see stuff like this. Seeing stuff from the 70s and 80s wasn't much different from my experiences in the 90s, outside of the clothes. It was all pre-internet, pre-smartphone, pre-social media. It's a way bigger jump from then to now.

Oct 27, 2017
i still post on a nu metal message board but these days it's just a handful of grumpy middle aged dudes rating deftones albums

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I like watching comparisons of people singing the same parts of specific songs:

Damn these are all good.
I notice the Nessun Dorma was uploaded in 2017. There's a new contender to add to that list - Marc Martel, the guy that sounds like Freddie Mercury. He goes back and forth between the classical style and the Freddie style.

Oct 30, 2017
Damn mallsoft is fucking niche. And I already thought vaporwave was niche enough. I love that music though, OP. I've recently been digging father2006 and haircuts for men.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
MOD REQUEST: If someone could change the thread title to incredibly niche I would appreciate it.

For me it's Mallsoft.

You're missing the best Mallsoft video on YouTube:

E: For me, it's super obscure documentaries about people REALLY obsessed with odd stuff. I really liked Way of the Puck, a documentary about professional Air Hockey. I also watched one about a guy who was obsessed with collecting sports cards. The more of that stuff I can get my hands on, the better.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
And if you wanna go even deeper.

I present to you... GrocerySoft.

This probably just falls under the Mallsoft umbrella, but I like calling it GrocerySoft because that sounds hilarious.

If you really wanna live life to the max, go shopping in your local grocery store while listening to this in some earphones.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I've done martial arts for decades, started in Kung Fu, loved Kali and Filipino arts, and weapons.

I'm older now, and still do kickboxing, and still love to practice Lissajous-Do Nunchaku for fun and flow.
I got certified as a 2nd degree blackbelt under Master Lee Barden. He died of cancer a few years ago, I'm glad I got to know him and train under him, even remotely. He was good dude.
It's a system based on Lissajous figures from mathematics and physics.

Basic premise is there's a commanding Ring or sphere around the body and all weapon strikes are part of that ring, once you learn the ratios, you can transition to any strike and angle and back. It applies to any weapon and empty hand too.

Here's one of his video clips. It's a really fun style.

Oct 27, 2017
IDM (intelligent dance music), Breakcore, Glitch music, etc. I also really like retro synthwave and EDM in general, but the glitchy sounding stuff is just insane, genius.

Black metal, death metal, etc. Lofi-Metal music in general can be pretty niche.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018
I watch a Japanese show regularly called Gaki no Tsukai and once a year they do a "no-laughing batsu" where they put 5 comedians in a building each year with a different setting, if the comedians laugh they get his with a rubber bat type thing. It's hilarious.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wish I spoke other languages just so I could do this at restaurants all the time.

Yeah the second video after the chinese lady...he was talking to someone in Ghana (TWI?) and while he was at the checkout stand, a chinese lady walked up to him and he switched it up.

The guy is always going to the mall, or international markets etc to talk to workers.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I'd also say Vaporwave, especially the stuff that includes old commercials.

leafcutter

Feb 14, 2018
  • Lore and history of Dungeons & Dragons (in the fictional universes as well as the irl history)
  • Solo black metal projects/artists
  • Dead mall videos (shout-out to mallsoft)
  • Unintentional ASMR
I'm also really into geology and history, but those aren't super niche.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
My obscure hobby is collecting art from Magic the Gathering and World of Warcraft. Art collecting is not an obscure hobby, but collecting the actual paintings from a game you love is real dedication. Sometimes Blizzard will buy the paintings, although usually you can buy the originals directly from the artist.

I don't own this particular one, but Chris Rahn is one of my favorite illustrators working today.

hsNdCmp.jpg

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I guess it would be caving.

Not, like, tourist caves. I'm talking wild cave where you need gear, have to crawl, climb, squeeze, submerge in water, etc.

I haven't done any caves that involve repelling down yet, though. Just easy-medium difficulty stuff.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't had much time to put into it in a while, so I don't know if it counts, but probably the most niche thing I'd say I'm interested in is conlangs.
I've started on a few, based on the sorts of things I noticed when trying to learn a second real language, and from things I learned in the linguistics 101 type classes I took in college.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I like watching comparisons of people singing the same parts of specific songs:

I feel you. I'm not super well versed in musicals (let alone opera), but I've watched this Jesus Christ Superstar video. It's hard for me to prefer anything beyond the first version i heard!

LordValhalla

Jan 9, 2018
Sporting Clays.
Its like golf with shotguns. Golf carts and all.

Being a gun sub-culture, there are a bunch of 2A folk. Kinda hard to find a group that doesn't slip in 2A talk inbetween post on how to increase accuracy.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
  • Lore and history of Dungeons & Dragons (in the fictional universes as well as the irl history)
  • Solo black metal projects/artists
  • Dead mall videos (shout-out to mallsoft)
  • Unintentional ASMR
I'm also really into geology and history, but those aren't super niche.
Dead mall fans, represent.

Have you seen this movie yet?

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Practically every interest I have is incredibly niche and obscure and impossible to find anyone interested in discussing them. "Art fished out from between the cracks", so to speak, is my big preoccupation. Among these:
  • Great forgotten Eastern European art films, particularly those from the 1960s-1970s, such as Forest of the Hanged (Pădurea spânzuraților), The Fifth Horseman in Fear (A pátý jezdec je strach), The Round-Up (Szegénylegények), The Ear (Ucho), Uncle Vanya (Дядя Ваня; Konchalovskiy version), Szindbád, The Fifth Seal (Az ötödik pecsét), The Lonely Voice of Man (Одинокий голос человека), etc.
  • Great overlooked classical piano works, such as Lyapunov's 12 Etudes d'Execution Transcendante, Op. 11, Alkan's Concerto for Solo Piano, Op. 39, Nos. 8-10, Reubke's Piano Sonata in B-flat Minor, Enescu's Nocturne in D-flat Major, 'Hommage À La Princesse Marie Cantacuzène'', Stanchinsky's Piano Sonata No. 2 in G major, Godowsky's Passacaglia after Schubert's 'Unfinished Symphony', Vladigerov's Sonatina Concertante in F-sharp Minor, Op. 28, etc.
  • Great, epic-length novels which favor exploration of ideas over narrative, such as Moby Dick (Melville), In Search of Lost Time (Proust), Clarissa (Samuel Richardson),The Man Without Qualities (Musil), Jean-Christophe (Rolland), The Aesthetics of Resistance (Weiss), Kristin Lavransdatter (Undset), Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship & Journeyman Years (Goethe), The Book of Disquiet (Pessoa), etc.
  • Group f/64 still photography aesthetics and those who influenced their values (Stieglitz and Strand, in particular).
  • Krazy Kat and Peanuts, in particular their earlier periods (1913-1924, for the former; 1955-1969, for the latter), which to me represent most of the best work by these respected cartoonists (Herriman and Schulz).
  • Neglected geniuses of "classic" American Ragtime (i.e., not Scott Joplin), such as James Scott, Joseph F. Lamb, Tom Turpin, and Louis Chauvin.
  • Aesthetics of superior black-and-white movie cinematography, as executed by greats such as James Wong Howe, Gregg Toland, Lee Garmes, Joseph August, Stanley Cortez, Ernest Haller, John Alton, Robert Krasker, Guy Green, Freddie Francis, Yoshio Miyajima, Sven Nykvist, Sergei Urusevsky, Vadim Yusov, Sándor Sára, etc.
  • Avant-garde movie posters of the Soviet era, especially the work of the Stenberg Brothers.