• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My first thought for this thread was asking about how SquareEnix was going to bring back The Legacy of Kain.
They have all the rights. They could do it.

But then again, I really don't have a lot of trust in them, to have it in them, to put an end to that story. Either in game design or the very important story department.

So , after that, my thoughts went off on their own.

I am imagining the perfect continuation of that series, that will never come to be.
BUT, there's a really small hurdle to take these days, which is a remaster/remake.

For LoK I'd be fine with one or two collections, bringing these games to modern Hardware, realizing, they won't ever get more than that.

So that takes me to the actual title of my thread: How low are you willing to go for your favourite series to be resurrected?

Remaster with nothing changed but the resolution? Complete Remake?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Fantasy: Xenogears with a FF7R budget.
Reality: Just put the game on Switch. Or like...anywhere. All I ask is a speed boost like the FF7/FF8 ports, in particular around text speed.

AceAlli

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasy: Xenogears with a FF7R budget.
Reality: Just put the game on Switch. Or like...anywhere. All I ask is a speed boost like the FF7/FF8 ports, in particular around text speed.

Yeah, Xenogears is 1 and Tomba! Is 1A for me. In either case I'd happily take a re-release with some touched up resolution or QoL improvements. The bare minimum for either would still get my money.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
The Metroid Prime games were the first things I thought of reading this.

There is no real way to gauge almost anything at all about 4.

3D All Stars indicates Nintendo's willingness to release a collection on the Switch with some upscaled assets at least.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Legacy of Kain was so story dense, it could only be redone with a complete reboot/remaster/reimagining, or via some kind of distant self contained sequel that only lightly touches on past characters/events as past lore/codex type of thing, but whose events woudn't be highly relevant to the current plot. (I could only barely follow that plot back in the day, 20 years later I've lost most all but the broadest plot strokes in those games. You aren't ever going to see a direct and immediate sequel to LoK Defiance or anything like that, IMO.

I'm also guessing the creative behind those old games is long scattered to the wind anyway, and I doubt anything approaching a AAA budget would be committed to such a project, so it likely wouldn't come from Crystal Dynamics (which seems to be Squares defacto "Western AAA dev team" these days , but some other small team that maybe SE/CD would be wiling to give the license to, as a sort of quasi AA type of project.

Last edited:

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Prince of Persia.

But already happening, and even if won't be the perfect remaster (in terms of graphics) I things it could deliver in terms gameplay. Also, I hope the series continues after the remaster (or remasters).

OP
OP
TeddyShardik

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Legacy of Kain was so story dense, it could only be redone with a complete reboot/remaster/reimagining, or via some kind of distant self contained sequel that only lightly touches on past characters/events as past lore/codex type, but whose events woudn't be highly relevant to the current plot. (I could only barely follow that plot back in the day, 20 years later I've lost most all but the broadest plot strokes in those games. You aren't ever going to see a direct and immediate sequel to LoK Defiance or anything like that, IMO.

I'm also guessing the creative behind those old games is long scattered to the wind anyway, and I doubt anything approaching a AAA budget would be committed to such a project, so it likely wouldn't come from Crystal Dynamics (which seems to be Squares defacto "Western AAA dev team" these days , but some other small team that maybe SE/CD would be wiling to give the license to, as a sort of quasi AA type of project.

You pretty much listed all the reasons against my most positive hope. :(

So at least let me play the games on current hardware. With maybe a resolution boost.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Legacy of Kain, Dead Space. These franchises are gone for good, unfortunately.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Madou Monogatari I guess?
Sega has the rights to the characters now, so it'd need to be a collab project between Compile Hearts, Compile Maru and Sonic Team.
It's also not an IP with international interest, I think. The closest we'll get are more original IPs trying to recreate the characters with no success, like Sorcery Saga or Nyoki Nyoki. Puyo Puyo Chronicles actually looked like a good answer to this lack of "puyo puyo rpgs", but then they decided to never localize it nor give it a sequel :)

To mention other, I'm never expecting an official Mother 4, but OddityRPG will probably end up being great, and I have a feeling we'll get Mother 3 translated or Mother 1-2 remade in some shape or form in the future.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Why do you crush my dreams with that reality of yours?
Don't take me wrong, I would LOVE to have a new Legacy of Kain, more than any other franchise revival. This ain't the 90s or early 2000s anymore, Square Enix is sitting on this IP, and the reason why they won't make a new Legacy of Kain (whether it be new game or remaster or remake or reboot and any other word that starts with "re-") is because, I suppose, they think it won't make (enough) money, so it's not worth inversting a penny. Reality is cruel but I'd rather face it than having dreams that will never be fulfilled.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really a series but OG Persona for me (mainly Persona 2). I'd kill for a port of IS/EP and those characters to show up in spin off games.

As for a series, I guess Fatal Fury/Garou (but mostly Garou). It's criminal we never got anything that continued on from Garou.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
Dino Crisis. I know that it is a little bit of redundant for Capcom to release another survival horror franchise that won't sell as much as Resident Evil, I just wish we had more games with dinossaurs. :(

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Zone of the Enders.

At this point, I'm starting to think Xenoblade Chronicles X maybe...

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
maxresdefault.jpg

I have literally zero hopes of ever seeing this guy again.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Dark Cloud 3 has been a dream for a long time, Dark Cloud 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. At least we have DC1 and 2 on PS4 digitally.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd really like to see a new Lunar that's good, but it seems extremely unlikely.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
I'd like to see The Last Ninja make a comeback, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

And even more impossible is that they'll keep using pixel art in an eventual remake. But in the extremely unlikely case this would happen, I'd want it to look a bit like this:

da09f37a83b382183ab3e551d1afbb19--ninja--ninja-gaiden.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The Chrono series. But that's fine I guess, unless Masato Kato is involved, then the series better stays dead.

Same with the Legacy of Kain series without Amy Henning or the original staff.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I'm always surprised whenever I see anyone mention this game, I played this so much when I was younger and it's pretty obscure. You can actually officially download these games for free nowadays at blupi.org
I know! I have them installed on my Windows XP PC.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Gotta be tied between Eternal Darkness and StarTropics. I'd love for either to be revived, but I just don't see it happening.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
F-Zero
Ghouls n' Ghosts/Ghosts n' Goblins universe games
Gradius
Thunderforce
Ridge Racer

Give me something. C'mon Nintendo, Capcom, Sega and Namco.

Oct 25, 2017
A good 4k collection of Silent Hill 1 - 4.

I don't have faith in any new Silent Hill game tbh. The series is cursed. I'd settle just to have the Team Silent games on current gen.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
My absolute low bar is the Shadow Hearts series just getting a port. It would be great for people to have an easier time accessing them. The music doesn't need to be rearranged because it's awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Crimson Skies.

I LOVED the Xbox entry. Great mix of Indiana Jones adventure tone and aesthetic with a wild steampunk-esque alternate history. And the gameplay was a fun, arcadey ride too!

Kinda shares similar DNA with Ace Combat in terms of what I liked about it, super weapon bosses, varied planes to use with different gameplay styles, etc.

And it's probably out to pasture for good.

OP
OP
TeddyShardik

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A new game on those franchises without those people involved would feel like fan fiction to me. I wouldn't be able to get into it.

You're probably right.
I think I'd just like to see Raziel and Frog given another era.

I know it won't happen that way, but SOMETHING, even a bad port, to get them into this millemium, would be okay for me.
Yes, I'm desperate. >.>

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I want a new Legend of Legaia soooo bad. Sony owns the franchise but they won't even release the games as classics. The second one was even rated for PS2 on PS4, GAH!

Fine, I'll make my OWN "Legaia" game.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
My first thought for this thread was asking about how SquareEnix was going to bring back The Legacy of Kain.
They have all the rights. They could do it.

But then again, I really don't have a lot of trust in them, to have it in them, to put an end to that story. Either in game design or the very important story department.

So , after that, my thoughts went off on their own.

I am imagining the perfect continuation of that series, that will never come to be.
BUT, there's a really small hurdle to take these days, which is a remaster/remake.

For LoK I'd be fine with one or two collections, bringing these games to modern Hardware, realizing, they won't ever get more than that.

So that takes me to the actual title of my thread: How low are you willing to go for your favourite series to be resurrected?

Remaster with nothing changed but the resolution? Complete Remake?

Blood Omen HD.

Just let me re-buy the game on PC. All I'm asking.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Act Raiser
MAG
Dark Cloud
Parasite Eve

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I finish a replay of Mega Man Legends 1 last night and started up 2 and thought of a new Capcom Collection like the ones done already for original, X, and Zero/ZX with the original two games and Tron Bonne and the failed 3 prototype.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not expecting a new Wave Race any time soon if ever. Nintendo seems to have forgotten about all their racing series other than Mario Kart, and if they dip into that well it'll most likely be F-Zero.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017