• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your LEAST favorite of Nintendo's major franchises?

• Mario

Votes: 62 3.0%
  • Zelda

Votes: 54 2.6%
  • Pokemon

Votes: 377 18.0%
  • Animal Crossing

Votes: 479 22.8%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 440 21.0%
  • Super Smash Bros.

Votes: 239 11.4%
  • Splatoon

Votes: 447 21.3%

• Total voters

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Every new Fire Emblem game comes out and I purchase it thinking, "THIS is the time I'll get why people love this franchise!"

Never happens.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Fire Emblem by faaaaaaar, it's the only one I could say I dislike among all options.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've never played a Pokemon or Fire Emblem game, and I doubt I'll ever try either one of them, but the art style of FE is an especially huge turn-off, so it gets my vote.

key

Nov 7, 2017
I answered Animal Crossing but only because I love all of the other listed IPs and it's the only one I've never played.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
Fire emblem. Just not into tactical RPGs or heroic fantasy.

Not fond of pokemon either but at least the lore can be fun.

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
Smash Bros followed by Fire Emblem.

It's not a good fighting game. I can respect why it exists and there's a market for it but it's just not something I've garnered any pleasure or continued interest from playing.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
My least favorite Nintendo franchise is the "Wars" franchise but there hasn't been a new game in over a decade.

Of the ones listed, Animal Crossing, although they're all good.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would switch Splatoon for Kirby in terms of "major" franchises, even though Splatoon is no slouch.

That said my answer is Zelda.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Fire emblem feels so out of place compared to the rest of those 10 million+ franchise juggernauts.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I am the 2% that dislike Mario. It's never clicked for me. My friend was raving about the new hat one and loaned it to me and I was like... I don't get this I do not enjoy this.

Oct 25, 2017
Fire emblem. It's much worse than other games in its genre. Super boring as far as tactics/strategy games go. It surviving (and thriving) due to waifu culture while advance wars died off just adds insult to injury.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am so tired of seeing Splatoon stuff. I wish Nintendo would give any other franchise a shot in the arm instead of focusing on a third game.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to vote Yoshi... But I'll settle for Pokemon. Went from a 10/10 series for me to 6/10.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Wow the AC hate is legitimately shocking to me.

I put FE because while I love SRPGs, I just never loved that series. I couldn't even say I disliked it. Just not interested.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Of the ones listed, I like the all. I would say Donkey Kong. It just hasn't clicked with me.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I love all of them, to be honest.

If every single one got a major new release at the same time, though, I'd probably play Splatoon the least, unless it was, like, some sort of single player thing. I could never get into Splatoon 2, after adoring the first one. No idea why.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Splatoon and I still appreciate the franchise, it is just not for me. It's for a new generation of fans and I love the excitement in that community when the game got a Smash rep and sequels were announced
Way more positive than the bitter toxic fanbases of some of the other franchises

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Fire emblem easily. Everytime they do something for it I'm like yeah I wish they'd do something else.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I would have said AC until I got hooked on ACNH for half a year or so. Clocked in 190+ hours in that one. Now it's Pokemon. Can't get into it. Never played it as a kid either. Maybe Pokemon Legends can get me into the series. Can't say they're bad games because they sell millions but I just never got a feeling for them.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine unironically believing this lmao

Lucina-Spring-Festival-full.png

Imagine pretending it's not a significant factor.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
One of these is not like the others. In what realm is Fire Emblem a major IP when its peak is less than 4 million units sold? The others all have at least one 10+ million seller. Luigi's Mansion would be more fitting as an option.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Pokemon, though it's not like I hate it, I just don't find it interesting. An RPG that doesn't quite scratch the itch.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
From that poll I only really like Mario and Zelda, but I have at least played all of them except Splatoon, so that's the one I picked here

LuckyNumber69

Apr 30, 2021
Lucina-Spring-Festival-full.png

Imagine pretending it's not a significant factor.
This isn't a mainline game tho? (Like no shit a gacha game is gonna have sexy characters.) Nor is it the game that made FE bigger. Like, Awakening had great production values, casual mode, marketing, etc. acting like wAiFuS is the sole reason - or even a major reason - it took off is fuckin dumb, and one of the worst narratives to come out of the modern Nintendo era, sorry. And the last two mainline games (Echoes and Three Houses) greatly toned down what Awakening/Fates especially were doing, and I expect that to continue with future entries.

Besides, FE is really popular with women too, so blaming it's popularity on "waifu culture" doesn't even make sense even if if were popular solely because of sex appeal.

Just admit you're salty AW is dead and move on.

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a mainline game tho? Nor is it the game that made FE bigger. Like, Awakening had great production values, casual mode, marketing, etc. acting like wAiFuS is the sole reason - or even a major reason - it took off is fuckin dumb, and one of the worst narratives to come out of the modern Nintendo era, sorry. And the last two mainline games (Echoes and Three Houses) greatly toned down what Awakening/Fates especially were doing, and I expect that to continue with future entries.

Besides, FE is really popular with women too, so blaming it's popularity on "waifu culture" doesn't even make sense even if if were popular solely because of sex appeal.

What you want me to ignore what's right in front of my eyes? I don't know how you expect to change my mind. Lol. It's a significant factor, and it sucks that it's thriving when another, super unique series in the genre is dead. Add to that it being some of the least interesting tactics/strategy gameplay out there and voila, you've got my pick for the poll. Sorry, I guess.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
One of these is not like the others. In what realm is Fire Emblem a major IP when its peak is less than 4 million units sold? The others all have at least one 10+ million seller. Luigi's Mansion would be more fitting as an option.
I'll break the news to you - it's this realm. Fire Emblem had a meteoric rise from nearly cancelled to guaranteed mainline games, remakes, a mobile game that's ended up being Nintendo's most profitable mobile game ever IIRC, merchandise selling all over the damn place...

What other Nintendo IP not listed possibly competes? I'd say Mario Kart, which OP has omitted (probably because it would never "win" the poll anyways?). Then what? Really though? Not even Kirby can come close to it. Metroid has been MIA for a decade. Xenoblade doesn't have the numbers. Yoshi and DK don't have the selling power or the number of games getting made as FE does.

If you think Fire Emblem isn't one of their major IPs at this point, you need to stop realm-hopping and do some catching up.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I'll break the news to you - it's this realm. Fire Emblem had a meteoric rise from nearly cancelled to guaranteed mainline games, remakes, a mobile game that's ended up being Nintendo's most profitable mobile game ever IIRC, merchandise selling all over the damn place...

What other Nintendo IP not listed possibly competes? I'd say Mario Kart, which OP has omitted (probably because it would never "win" the poll anyways?). Then what? Really though? Not even Kirby can come close to it. Metroid has been MIA for a decade. Xenoblade doesn't have the numbers. Yoshi and DK don't have the selling power or the number of games getting made as FE does.

If you think Fire Emblem isn't one of their major IPs at this point, you need to stop realm-hopping and do some catching up.
DKC is certainly a more popular series. Hell, Tropical Freeze Switch has sold around Three Houses after selling 2 million on the Wii U. The breakout juggernaut FE game.

Smashed_Hulk

Jun 16, 2018
it would have to be pokemon. i really liked lets go because of the nostalgia throw back, but have yet to bother with sword/shield because it's just too much of the same for me. it seems like they just get by with the same recipe and were'nt really take big risks at improving their game. Pokemon Legends Arceus is more of what i was looking for, but about 10 years ago. I dont have much faith in Game Freak delivering, but hope to be proven wrong.

Fire Emblem would have been the other choice, but after three houses, i was sold on the series and will day one buy the next mainline game in that franchise.

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DKC is certainly a more popular series. Hell, Tropical Freeze Switch has sold around Three Houses after selling 2 million on the Wii U. The breakout juggernaut FE game.
Tropical Freeze is great and deserves its sales. Totally love that game. And DK has got a grand historical legacy. But in 2021, it doesn't have the same market power. No mobile game, basically no merch, and we don't know when we'll get the next DK game - years? A decade? No idea. We know we're getting Fire Emblem more often than Zelda at this point. Fire Emblem is the biggest mobile game Nintendo has. Fire Emblem has tons of merch that they sell constantly.

From a franchise -> money perspective, it's just no contest. Fire Emblem's separate revenue streams completely trounce DK.

It's like Pokemon. The games are only a portion of the pie. And the pie is very large.