• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
What dish do you just knock out of the park? Maybe it's a meal you have perfected over years of trying or an old family recipe that's been passed down.

Personally, I make the best Sausage Biscuits and Gravy. A buddy of mine showed me how to make it while in my early 20s and for the next 20 years I've experimented until it's now become absolute perfection.

So what about you? Is there a meal that you make that you would put up against anyone else's attempt?

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't really say it's something I can make better than anything else, but whenever I make baked ziti for a gathering it seems very popular.

Oct 28, 2017
I can make a really good lemon pesto pasta with tomatoes, spinach and broccoli. Throw some crispy tofu in there and it's a good vegan meal.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
What dish do you just knock out of the park? Maybe it's a meal you have perfected over years of trying or an old family recipe that's been passed down.

Personally, I make the best Sausage Biscuits and Gravy. A buddy of mine showed me how to make it while in my early 20s and for the next 20 years I've experimented until it's now become absolute perfection.

So what about you? Is there a meal that you make that you would put up against anyone else's attempt?
Please share with me your gravy secrets. I make really great biscuits but can't master the perfect gravy.

I make really killer pie crust and now, thanks to the lockdown, breads.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018

Share the recipe, please.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
pan-fried bacon and white rice.
Working at a grocery store at the moment, it shocks me how well the little frozen bags of microwaveable rice sell. A little half pound bag costs around $1.80, whereas a 15 pound bag of dry rice is less than $15, and a rice cooker can probably be had for $20 or less, so the latter solution is already cheaper over the first bag, then you factor the cooker out of the next bag's cost.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Something I make for others? Pork chops.
I found a really good brine online, add a bit more to it and brine for 24 hours. Cook on the grill to about 150 degrees. Comes out really juicy and delicious.

For myself. Grilled chicken thighs and Thai noodles. Not really much to it. Boneless/skinless chicken thighs, trim excess fat and marinade in McCormick's Chipotle Pepper seasoning. Grill to over 160 degrees. Then make a pack of instant Thai noodle soup(garlic vegtable?), but make it with very little liquid. Cut up a thigh and put it in the noodles. It's pretty savory and has the perfect amount of heat, for me anyway.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Zuppa tuscana which is a copycat recipe from Olive Garden but mine is better. It's good to make when we have company cause I can make a bunch

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
Working at a grocery store at the moment, it shocks me how well the little frozen bags of microwaveable rice sell. A little half pound bag costs around $1.80, whereas a 15 pound bag of dry rice is less than $15, and a rice cooker can probably be had for $20 or less, so the latter solution is already cheaper over the first bag, then you factor the cooker out of the next bag's cost.
fast times we're living in, but as part of a Filipino household, microwaveable rice is pure blasphemy haha.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

That is so funny because that's my go to dish. Learned from my pops and I'm always tweaking it over the years.
I add a dash of soy sauce (brings out a bit of smokiness) and a tiny dash of cinnamon.

When I make it, I bring a batch to the guys at work.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bowls. Usually kale, a grain like quinoa or farro, a protein like shrimp, chicken or turkey meatballs, a dressing like a mustard shallot vinegrette, and some veggies like asparagus, brussels or broccoli.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Best thing I ever made by far--with the close collaboration of my wife at the time--was lamb osso bucco. It was damn good, if I do say so myself. However, I was just trying my damnedest to follow the recipe without screwing it up. I'm certain I would have without my ex-wife there to guide me. I have no instinct for cooking, and therefore no signature dish.

Now my bestie, she's a legit genius in the kitchen. She's whipped up nearly all of the top 100 dishes I've ever had. Her signature dish is probably her Creole crawfish and crabmeat étouffée, which is honestly better than any I had in the French Quarter of New Orleans. Miracle on a plate, that shit is.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I make a pretty decent microwaved hotdog.

But seriously, not a real dish but I've been told by several different people I make some killer beef jerky (both spicy and not spicy).

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My own variation of that New Orleans pasta from cheddars. Andouille sausage and chicken, homemade Cajun Alfredo with roasted tomatoes and spices, 1 1/2 cups of hot salsa, onions, garlic, bell peppers, pound of penne pasta, and good ol Tony Chachere seasoning. Shit is delicious.

PirateHearts

Oct 27, 2017
North Texas
I haven't made it in a while, but a pan-fried chicken parm was the first thing that I ever felt like I'd really nailed.

These days, I mostly do bowls of rice, beans, marinated tofu, and caramelized onions. It takes almost an hour to cook down the onions, but it's worth it.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the laziest cook so I don't actually have any legit dishes. The biggest compliment I've gotten is that my sister will actually eat the beef or pork that I cook. She's really picky about that stuff.

Otherwise, if left to my own devices I'll just stir fry some meat, boil pasta. and bake broccoli with olive oil and call it a day.