• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was your favourite boss fight?

• Scorpion

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Rude and Reno

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • Airbuster

Votes: 24 15.9%
  • Hellhouse

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • Rufus

Votes: 61 40.4%
  • Abzu

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 33 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

itshutton

Nov 1, 2017
After having played the game and a decent number of chapters in Hard, there is one element to the game the stands out above any other for me; the quality of the boss fights.

While you can brute force your way through a lot of the game, there are several boss fights that make you change your tactics, use different Materia and utilise all of your characters unique abilities. I don't mind admitting that I died multiple times on Normal mode, having to switch up my combat style, only to find the boss was actually relatively easy one I exploited the right weakness.

I also loved that they forced you to use the whole party. I would never have thought that I would be neglecting Cloud for Aerith or Barret! And Tifa's combat has so many levels. And I had to use the Assess materia, who knew that would be a thing!

So Era, what are your favourite bosses and why?

P.S. I am aware there are no end game bosses on the list. There are just too many great bosses to list!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Leviathan was the most fun i had in the game, using all the strategy i could to beat it at the time (did it as soon as i could, which was in chapter 13)! Rufus was nice too!

A lot of the bosses were more annoying than fun because of bad design imo

like the airbuster randomly coming near the bridge or not, full RNG! Or the hellhouse near the end of its lifebar, being weakened and in the air, you make it fall, it's not an attack at all, just a fall like many other bosses after you weaken them.... but despite that it one shoted both my character.... game over.... it's just bad, there's no indication it will hurt you compared to when it purposely stomp on you during the battle

Last edited:

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Behemoth was my favorite. The perfect balance of focusing on various parts, managing positioning without any bullshit or distracting stuff in the background. The purest test of skill IMO and what fully sold me on the fighting system as a net positive

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Jenova, that music really got me. I thought I was tired of variations on that theme but clearly I was wrong

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Reno and Rufus because 1v1 are the best.

Special mention to Motorball for pulling a minigamr battle right and being visually amazing.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Jenova. I was waiting for the theme to hit, I noticed that it's building up and then phase 3 hit. Ufffffff. Boss fight itself was great too. Overall I must say they knocked it out in the park with boss fights.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Lol I'm surprised the fight at the end against Sephiroth isn't on there. I thought I looked cool, but it was just hella fan service. At least it felt that way.

Anyway, the two fights I really enjoyed were the Jenova and Hellhouse ones.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
While I enjoyed almost every boss for different reasons, Airbuster and Rufus get my votes. Those two just hit me hard with the nostalgia and when I saw he had his shotgun... it was perfect.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Airbuster and Jenova for the music, felt like I was playing Wipeout when the last phase music kicked in.

Hellhouse for the surprise, fucking unexpected and hilarious moment (and he was basically a "you can't brute force me" moment).

Rufus for the mechanics.

I can't wait for the crazy bosses on part too, the quality of bosses here is insane.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
No particular favs. They're all cool in their ways. Most memorable though is Hellhouse just because of how ridiculous it was.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Fight them on hard first and then come back. Some of them went from ok bosses to my most hated bosses. Like hellhouse

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Rufus just for how fucking dope he is, with Jenova slightly behind for that music drop.

In general, I'm really pleased with most of the bosses in the game. I wonder if they took a cue from FF14 because a lot of them have similar design philosophies but with more energy added to them with the ARPG elements, and honestly I really love it

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
Airbuster, Jenova and the Failed Experiment. Really fun to fight against, with amazing tracks.

Hellhouse and Rufus are the worst.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Definitely JENOVA Dreamweaver for when Phase 3 starts and the soundtrack really kicks in and gives you exactly what you want.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Hellhouse.

Lining up a focused thrust when it spits out Tonberry's and instakilling them, and then perfectly timing a double cast Thundaga on it when it's vulnerable.

Phew boy, what a good boss.

Rufus was also very satisfying to fight. The insta-stagger when reloading is so good.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Jenova Dreamweaver and The Arsenal were my favorite endgame fights, so those. Especially Jenova.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The Turks were really fun. Rude's battle was one of the most fun but subdued in the game. It didn't need to be over the top to be engaging.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
We did just have this thread, but they didn't have Hellhouse as an option so it's results were void.

Hellhouse might be the greatest boss fight I've ever had from a presentation point (up there with Splatoon final boss), but its gameplay was just as good. Still haven't got to it on hard yet.

Last edited:

Daggoth

Oct 25, 2017
Hell House on normal got "WHAT" out of me on the reveal (I wasn't spoiled), and it's the boss that forced me to git gud on hard mode. It's such a good fight when all the mechanics click.

Honourable mention to Jenova Dreamweaver for getting "LET'S FUCKING GO" out of me when the music kicked in.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Rufus was good. Felt like a DMC fight.

I also enjoyed the final boss sequences.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Was expecting a lot more from bahamut. But i solod it with cloud. Is there anything else approaching "super boss" status? Hell house was by far the most engaging in hard mode.

poncle

Oct 28, 2017
London
I enjoyed every boss fight but the 3 final whispers. For the best, it's a tie between Jenova Dreamweaver and Hellhouse

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Reno and Rude and Rufus fights were the most fun for me.

Loved when this music kicked in during the first part of the former.

Definitely a chef's kiss moment.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Nah fuck failed experiment. His stupid jump move dragged out the fight for so long.
I wish I could counter Rufus' Counter, that was some BS most of the fight.
I don't think I even properly learned how to fight Rufus...I just spammed abilities and once I got my level 2 limit break he died. Hmm...

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I don't think I even properly learned how to fight Rufus...I just spammed abilities and once I got my level 2 limit break he died. Hmm...
Me neither, I was sucking most of the fight and then my limit break did like 95% damage. Wasn't a fan of his fight.

They really need to add in fight materia switching tho.

Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.