• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm saying favourite and not best because my pick is nowhere near the best but I really like it. Be prepared for an unnecessarily long post as I explain this twist and why I like it.

So The King of Fighters 97 (yes I'm talking about KOF again but I'm in that mood thanks to XV) marks the end of the Orochi Saga that follows Kyo Kusanagi, Iori Yagami and Chizuru Kagura (known as the Three Sacred Treasures) as they try to reseal the powerful being known as Orochi while its followers try to free it from the seal that Kyo, Iori and Chizuru's ancestors put on it.

In KOF 96, the three beat Leopold Goenitz (one of the Four Heavenly Kings of Orochi) who vowed that the seal would be broken soon. In KOF 97, a new team is introduced known as the New Faces Team, made up of Yashiro Nanakase, Shermie and Chris.

dak7qi1-37f32b65-f4a0-4cc4-b35f-34b4787e359d.jpg
latest

Spoiler alert; one of these three is going to become Orochi (on the right) by the end of this game.

Now, the game seemed to put a lot of focus on Yashiro (the one in the middle) out of the three. He was the Team Leader (a role usually reserved for the most important/strongest member of the team) and is featured prominently in the game's intro, as shown below;

MelodicAccomplishedIslandwhistler-size_restricted.gif

When the first twist of the game is revealed (that Yashiro, Shermie and Chris are the remaining three Heavenly Kings in case you didn't already guess or know that), Yashiro once again takes a prominent role in providing the late game exposition dump. Shermie and especially Chris say and do very little during this part of the game. SNK is practically telling you that Yashiro is the game's big bad at this point. So, last attempt at guessing who Orochi will be.

Will it be Yashiro?

Will it be Shermie?

Or will it be Chris?

If you picked Chris, then congrats! You win absolutely nothing!

SneakyHarmfulEsok-size_restricted.gif

Yes that's right, the little kid of the trio is in fact the one who becomes Orochi. I don't really know if this was obvious when the game came out in 97, but I feel like Yashiro taking the focus in the intro and pre-match info dump was designed to make players think it would be him that you'd be fighting, so I was really surprised when I played KOF for the first time and realised that out of the three, Chris was the one who became Orochi. Like I said this isn't the best twist nor is it the most exciting but I personally love swerves you don't expect like this.

ResponsibleClearConch-size_restricted.gif

So then era, as a reward for reading through my KOF lore dump you can feel free to tell me what your favourite video game twist is and why you like it! Remember though this isn't an argument about which is best, just which ones you like.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's Ghost Trick, always, though I suppose the question now is "which twist?"
SISSEL WAS THE CAT, AHHHHH

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
One of the bigger reveals about the main conceit of Outer Wilds because of how heartbreaking it was, and how it forces you to reassess your motivation to finish the game

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
FF X, Yuna's pilgrimage is a sacrifice, I thought that was quite a scathing and powerful criticism of cults and religion. They make Yevon look like this beautiful and noble order. Wakka's racism suggests there's something wrong with Yevon, but Tidus is from another world, tries to respect their culture, he doesn't put it together how fucked up they are, and what Yuna's purpose is.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
In a game full of tons of awesome twists, one of my favorite ones from recent memory was the result of laziness by one of the characters in a hilarious twist of fate in 13 Sentinels

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
It was Knights of the Old Republic. I was pretty young and dumb when I played it the first time and missed the painfully obvious build-up to the reveal. I think my jaw actually hit the floor.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Still MGS2 for me. I was floored. Could never happen today due to more prevalent social media, insider culture, smartphones, and Youtube.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
MGS2

When I first finished the game it must have been about 2am; when the Colonel started acting weird and revealed the grand facade it blew my mind

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
ace attorney

engarde being actually guilty and phoenix having to "defend" him, with the best ending being actually.... getting him off the hook anyway and him breaking down and confessing to be arrested

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Hmm this is a tough one.

Nier Automata probably has half a dozen good ones, but the one that left my jaw on the floor most of all was
"You're thinking about how much you want to **** 2B, aren't you?"
I just put the controller down and sat awestruck for a good bit .

Finding out in Alien Isolation that
there's more than one Alien, a damn nest in fact
and in The Last Guardian that
it was Trico who kidnapped you from your home and brought you here
were also significant for me

*EDIT: Ah yes FF7 Cloud's realization and MGS2 3rd act reveals also. I need scissors

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
When you first leave the Temple of Time as an adult in Ocarina of Time.

iiOFT6G.png

The happy, thriving Hyrule you just fought to save got fucked.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
InFamous
80aef6c714eb0b843aa833932114ce51.jpg

This twist is severely underrated and was one of the biggest "OH SHIT" moments in gaming for me

Also

Assassin's Creed 2

maxresdefault.jpg

"The rest is up to you, Desmond..."

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Xenogears, it's hidden so well and comes as a huge WTF while also being foreshadowed multiple times.
grahf being lacan

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not that big on twists, but probably Silent Hill 2 I guess.
Metal Gear Solid 2 and Shadow of the Colossus are up there as well.

fc3ba0949f751753-600x338.png

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Easily Second Sight. It's one of the rare ones which actually changes the narrative and how you look at the game, and not just a "character X is actually the badguy" type twist.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The entire game was a scheme for Akane to save herself, as well as get revenge on a few people.

The entire game was a scheme to have you, the player, communicate something across story paths.

The primals you fight are not the same beings that existed in history, but rather they are manifestations created from people's belief in those beings. This opened up a lot of story threads that were a lot of fun to explore.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Life is Strange got me harder than any other game with
The Mr. Jefferson reveal

Tales from the Borderlands also has a really great plot twist
Loader Bot is the one keeping Rhys and Fiona hostage

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In Deadlight, Ralph is on the search for his family, only in the end he realizes he killed his family the whole time. Amazing game, very few know of its artful storytelling.

May 17, 2019
Disco Elysium
Discovering the cryptid

Pathologic 2
How they changed the endings from the original

Spec Ops: The Line
Walker's insanity

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

The last 10 minutes of the game will reveal to you why the game is called "Shattered Memories". This is not your Daddy's Silent Hill.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Emet Selchs revelation in Shadow Bringers is one of the most up their for me in recent memory as it has Clear Consequences going forward and puts the retrospective into new light. i also Thought Jins Uncle twist near the end was very emotional in GoT.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
MGS2 for sure.

Also, everything in 13 Sentinels. But is it a twist or just getting more of the whole story? Hmm.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
He's a psychoanalyst?

New to Xenogears? Half of its real-world references come from psychoanalisis, especially Jungian (anima, animus, sophia, etc.) but also Freudian (the aforementioned Id). The other half, of course, come from Judaism.

The whole twist is, well... complicated. Brace yourself!

Lacan is a reincarnation of Abel, the first man, doomed in each reincarnation to fall in love with, then tragically lose, women that are reincarnations of Elly, the first woman. When Lacan specifically loses Sophia, "his" Elly, the accumulated trauma causes him to split off: his mind and body lived on as Grahf, an evil entity that could possess others, where his soul went on to reincarnate further.

In the current time you play as Fei, the current reincarnation of Abel, which meets the current Elly. Along the game you alternatively meet three mysterious characters (OK, you meet a buttload of mysterious characters, but these are the relevant ones): Wiseman, a mentor figure; Grahf, a Darth Vader-like antagonist, and Id, an all-powerful guy piloting a similarly overpowered red mecha. Eventually it turns out that:
- Wiseman is Fei's father, Wong.
- Grahf is, as stated above, Lacan, one of Fei's previous incarnations (that looked identical to him).
- Id is a split personality of Fei (portraits linked to show how he changes). Fei's mecha (Weltall) transforms and changes colors when Id is dominant.
- But the icing on the cake is that Wiseman and Grahf are personalities living in the same body: that of Wong, after being partially possessed by Grahf. So Wiseman = Wong = Grahf = Lacan, meaning he's both your father, and one of your previous incarnations.

Whew! I'm well aware that it sounds monumentally silly and Kingdom Hearts-y when put that way, but it really does make sense in context. :)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020
999 and VLR. They both brilliantly play with the hardware/genre to handle the twist.

ZTD tried to follow it up with its own twist but we know how that ended up.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The ones that blew my mind the most are probably all ones that have already been mentioned like FFX, Bioshock and Kotor.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Not sure it's really a twist, but the whole lead-up to Bloodborne advertising it as a gothic horror game about werewolves and vampire type stuff, only to then have it turn out to secretly be a cosmic horror game about Lovecraftian old gods and dream-planes was one of my favorite little misdirects in recent memory.