• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Your favourite system for Japanese exclusives?

• Saturn

Votes: 62 21.2%
  • Snes

Votes: 45 15.4%
  • PS2

Votes: 82 28.1%
  • PS1

Votes: 36 12.3%
  • DS

Votes: 33 11.3%
  • PSP

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 25 8.6%

• Total voters

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Feels hard to beat the Saturn really. It's Japanese library is vast compared to the Western library. Incredible exclusives.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Another Century's Episode 1-3 Final make it so the ps2 has to get my vote.

Super Robot Wars Z1/Special disk is also worth the vote alone.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
In games exclusive to Japan? Sir, you need to educate yourself.

Definitely a strong contender. So many amazing games were trapped in Japan.

Maybe I need to have another look but when I was really starting to get into imports I started looking at all the major consoles Japan exclusive games and pc engine seemed to really shine in the shmups department but I'm not the biggest fan of 16 bit shmups. I still did try a few of them and none really stuck with me. Rondo of Blood is obviously straight fire though. What would you recommend from its Japanese lineup?

In that case it's either PC Engine or Saturn. I will have to think on it.

I'm not seeing what makes the DS a better choice for the poll inclusion than the PC Engine.

On the strength of the following games ( all are classics):

Jump Ultimate Stars
Ace Attorney Investigations Miles Edgeworth
Ketsui (it was only really boss battles but loved it)
Fire Emblem New Mystery of the Emblem
Retro Game Challenge 2
Ouendan 2

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I need to have another look but when I was really starting to get into imports I started looking at all the major consoles Japan exclusive games and pc engine seemed to really shine in the shmups department but I'm not the biggest fan of 16 bit shmups. I still did try a few of them and none really stuck with me. Rondo of Blood is obviously straight fire though. What would you recommend from its Japanese lineup?

Far East of Eden games are a great place to start (though they are RPGs, so it isn't import friendly for non-Japanese speakers). As you said Rondo of Blood is straight fire (and I would argue an ATG), but another one to consider is Kaze Kiri (which is, unfortunately, pretty damn expensive). Mr. Heli is another wonderful game that never made it to NA. I know you said you don't like shmups, but Mr. Heli is a very different beast (and I think is a game that non-shmup fans could get behind). At the end of the day, there are a lot of great shmups on the PCE, which is a genre that is very import friendly, but there is actually a pretty wide selection of cool games on the console.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far East of Eden games are a great place to start (though they are RPGs, so it isn't import friendly for non-Japanese speakers). As you said Rondo of Blood is straight fire (and I would argue an ATG), but another one to consider is Kaze Kiri (which is, unfortunately, pretty damn expensive). Mr. Heli is another wonderful game that never made it to NA. I know you said you don't like shmups, but Mr. Heli is a very different beast. At the end of the day, there are a lot of great shmups on the PCE, which is a genre that is very import friendly, but there is actually a pretty wide selection of cool games on the console.
Good choices. Ys IV is a great one with an English fan translation.

Shubibinman 3, Faussete Amour, Shinobi, Valis 1 remake and Valis IV, Liquid Kids, and Zipang are some other platform-ish games I like on PCE. Shooters are the bulk of the best import exclusives, though.

The more I think about it, I would choose the Saturn over the PC Engine for this thread but the latter is still impressive.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DS has Jump Ultimate Stars, both Ouendan games, and Puyo Puyo 20th Anniversary, so that's it for me.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Saturn's gotta be the most fascinating example of this where the system was an enormous success in Japan and a pretty major failure in NA, and as a result had a much longer life there

PS2 had lots of these obviously, but with Saturn it was just so lopsided

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The Saturn by a very large amount followed by PCEngine/CD. That's just where the library was at. Love them both.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
For me, it's the XBox 360... because it is my cave shmups machine and hosts games that were only ever ported on this platform, only sold in and region locked to japan.
So, short of owning the arcade PCB, that's the only way to play these games at home.

Second to it is the sony PSP, i have plenty of exclusive games on there :)

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Saturn and PC Engine have amazing Japanese libraries. Two of my favorite consoles right there.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
For me, it's the PS3. I didn't import many games, but E.X Troopers and the Gundam Vs games were a blast to play.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Far East of Eden games are a great place to start (though they are RPGs, so it isn't import friendly for non-Japanese speakers). As you said Rondo of Blood is straight fire (and I would argue an ATG), but another one to consider is Kaze Kiri (which is, unfortunately, pretty damn expensive). Mr. Heli is another wonderful game that never made it to NA. I know you said you don't like shmups, but Mr. Heli is a very different beast (and I think is a game that non-shmup fans could get behind). At the end of the day, there are a lot of great shmups on the PCE, which is a genre that is very import friendly, but there is actually a pretty wide selection of cool games on the console.
Good choices. Ys IV is a great one with an English fan translation.

Shubibinman 3, Faussete Amour, Shinobi, Valis 1 remake and Valis IV, Liquid Kids, and Zipang are some other platform-ish games I like on PCE. Shooters are the bulk of the best import exclusives, though.

The more I think about it, I would choose the Saturn over the PC Engine for this thread but the latter is still impressive.

Thanks guys

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
GBA has Mother 3.

Also Rhythm Tengoku, Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade, several Super Robot Wars games, the Ace Attorney trilogy and Advance Wars 1+2 in one package.

I don't think people are reading the title correctly...

PS2 should be close to last place. There's no way it can come close to most of the others. Like, what even is happening in this poll?

Saturn and PC Engines were essentially entirely different systems in Japan, as the library is exponentially stronger in Japan than NA/US.

Saturn in particular could've put up quite a fight against PS1 if half the good Japanese exclusives came west.

Super Famicom has some amazing exclusives as well, though most of the system defining games were released in NA.

But, PlayStation 2?? I can't think of a single system/era defining game on PS2 that did NOT have a Western release. Heck, western releases were partially what defined the PS2.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna go with Snes iot had a lot of jp only games including stuff from Square like Bahamut Lagoon, Sieken 3 (until the recent re-release), Live a Live, and Treasure Hunter G that I can remember off the top of my head. Lots of others too and a lot of these games have been fan translated too which makes it even more appealing.

May 10, 2019
But, PlayStation 2?? I can't think of a single system/era defining game on PS2 that did NOT have a Western release. Heck, western releases were partially what defined the PS2.

Here's what I think of when I say the PS2 was still "pretty good" for importers (aside from fighting games and shmups that were mentioned):

Another Century's Episode (series)
Boku no Natsuyasumi 2
ChainDive
Code Age Commanders
Dragon Quest V Remake
Dragon Quest: Yangus' Mystery Dungeon
Fire Pro Wrestling Z
Front Mission 5
Generation of Chaos (series)
Growlanser VI
King of Colosseum (series)
Monster Hunter G
Namco X Capcom
PoPoLoCrois (series)
SEGA Ages (everything outside of the Sega Classics Collection)
Spectral Force (series)
Summon Night (series)
Vib-Ripple

Still some decent genre titles in here, not nearly as many as the PS1 or SNES or Saturn or PC Engine, and that's largely because so much of the weird stuff like Disaster Report/Raw Danger, Mister Mosquito, Steambot Chronicles, Katamari Damacy, Killer7, Gitaroo Man, Rule of Rose, Ribbit King, Stretch Panic, ChuLip, and Nippon Ichi's entire library of SRPGs all managed to come west. If these were all PS1 games, almost all of them wouldn't have been translated. A lot of this was thanks to SCEA's willingness to give cult games a chance.

Here's what I think of when I say the PS2 was still "pretty good" for importers (aside from fighting games and shmups that were mentioned):

Another Century's Episode (series)
Boku no Natsuyasumi 2
ChainDive
Code Age Commanders
Dragon Quest V Remake
Dragon Quest: Yangus' Mystery Dungeon
Fire Pro Wrestling Z
Front Mission 5
Generation of Chaos (series)
Growlanser VI
King of Colosseum (series)
Monster Hunter G
Namco X Capcom
PoPoLoCrois (series)
SEGA Ages (everything outside of the Sega Classics Collection)
Spectral Force (series)
Summon Night (series)
Vib-Ripple

Still some decent genre titles in here, not nearly as many as the PS1 or SNES or Saturn or PC Engine, and that's largely because so much of the weird stuff like Disaster Report/Raw Danger, Mister Mosquito, Steambot Chronicles, Katamari Damacy, Killer7, Gitaroo Man, Rule of Rose, Ribbit King, Stretch Panic, ChuLip, and Nippon Ichi's entire library of SRPGs all managed to come west. If these were all PS1 games, almost all of them wouldn't have been translated. A lot of this was thanks to SCEA's willingness to give cult games a chance.

Those are all great mentions - but I don't think many posters here think super highly of those (or are even aware of them), but maybe I'm not giving people enough credit.

Regardless, I don't think too many of those are necessarily the best on the console, or even the best in their respective series.

It actually makes me think of how many great PS1 games didn't come over, either.

I would certainly put PS1 above PS2 as well, although the nature of the games are similar to the PS2 games listed - that is, niche games, RPGs, and Japan exclusive series.

Not to mention, more than a few of those PS2 games started on PS1 - and those ALSO didn't cross the pond.

But, yeah, it is also a testament to how many niche 3rd party PS2 titles DID make it over!

Last edited:

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
WonderSwan's japanese library is absurdly better than the western one
that's because it never landed to the west ;_; Probably the biggest japanese console to remain secluded to its home land and a few other asian Countries.

Of the choices on the poll, I would probably choose among Super Famicom/SNES, Saturn and PS1.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
I'd like to add that SRW Original Generations + Gaiden and SRW Z were amazing games. Also, the Sega AM2 Macross game was so freaking cool.

May 10, 2019
Those are all great mentions - but I don't think many posters here think super highly of those (or are even aware of them), but maybe I'm not giving people enough credit.

I didn't wanna say it because I've been feeling too mean, but yeah that's totally my line of thinking. Only Front Mission 5, Namco X Capcom, and Monster Hunter G only ever really get mentioned on a wide scale, occasionally the DQ5 remake and much less occasionally everything else. I know nobody's clamoring for the Yoshitsune Eiyuuden games (FromSoftware's spin on Musou games with RTS elements thrown in) or Sakurazaka Shouboutai (probably the last great firefighter game), even if they should, so I didn't list them.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Action/Platform: Castlevania Rondo no chi, Momotaro Katsugeki, Bakushou Yoshimoto Shinkigeki (it's an easy cinematic platformer based on comedy), Shubibinman 3, Valis (the remake of the original game), Genji Tsushin Agedama, Gekisha Boy, Liquid Kids, Kaze Kiri, Legend of Valkyrie, Son Son II, Popful Mail, Fray in Magical Adventure .
Fighting: Asuka 120%, Kabuki IttĹŤryĹŤdan, Double Dragon II
Racing: F1 Circus
Adventure: Gotzendiener (an interesting if unfinished isometric adventure game by Gainax)
Puzzle: Bazaru de Gozaru, Bomberman '94, Gomola Speed, Volfied

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Action/Platform: Castlevania Rondo no chi, Momotaro Katsugeki, Bakushou Yoshimoto Shinkigeki (it's an easy cinematic platformer based on comedy), Shubibinman 3, Valis (the remake of the original game), Genji Tsushin Agedama, Gekisha Boy, Liquid Kids, Kaze Kiri, Legend of Valkyrie, Legend of Hero Tonma, Son Son II, Popful Mail, Mystic Formula.
Adventure: Gotzendiener (an interesting if unfinished isometric adventure game by Gainax)
I forgot about Gekisha Boy and Son Son II. Those are great. Tonma did get a North American release although it was very limited.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
On the strength of the following games ( all are classics):

Jump Ultimate Stars
Ace Attorney Investigations Miles Edgeworth
Ketsui (it was only really boss battles but loved it)
Fire Emblem New Mystery of the Emblem
Retro Game Challenge 2
Ouendan 2

Let's not sleep on Ouendan 1, now...

I believe the poster was simply making a point that the PC Engine is a particularly egregious omission considering what you asked about. Let's bear in mind it was both a 4th gen system and simultaenously the second strongest system in it's generation in Japan (relevant because japanese developers overwhelmingly crushed western devs in output quality those days, it wasn't until the 5th gen where the lines truly started blurring... now take the fact into consideration that it was very solidly outperforming Mega Drive/Genesis in Japan throughout the entire gen) and combine that with the fact 70%+ of it's library was J-only and you'll likely understand why the PC Engine is one of the most unquestionably strong candidates for this particular subject and as such it's absence seems really bizarre considering consoles like the DS did make it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta go with the Saturn. I imported so many games for that system, and it was also the only way to play an arcade perfect version of X-Men vs Street Fighter as well as Marvel Superheroes on a console. A very close second would be the SNES though.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Action/Platform: Castlevania Rondo no chi, Momotaro Katsugeki, Bakushou Yoshimoto Shinkigeki (it's an easy cinematic platformer based on comedy), Shubibinman 3, Valis (the remake of the original game), Genji Tsushin Agedama, Gekisha Boy, Liquid Kids, Kaze Kiri, Legend of Valkyrie, Son Son II, Popful Mail, Fray in Magical Adventure .

Thanks, I'll have a look at some of those. Loved the PS1 Asuka 120% games and I've played Legend of Valkyrie arcade version but I'm down to try some of the others.

Let's not sleep on Ouendan 1, now...

I believe the poster was simply making a point that the PC Engine is a particularly egregious omission considering what you asked about. Let's bear in mind it was both a 4th gen system and simultaenously the second strongest system in it's generation in Japan (relevant because japanese developers overwhelmingly crushed western devs in output quality those days, it wasn't until the 5th gen where the lines truly started blurring... now take the fact into consideration that it was very solidly outperforming Mega Drive/Genesis in Japan throughout the entire gen) and combine that with the fact 70%+ of it's library was J-only and you'll likely understand why the PC Engine is one of the most unquestionably strong candidates for this particular subject and as such it's absence seems really bizarre considering consoles like the DS did make it.

Yea, I totally get that. You can pry that DS poll option from my cold, dead hands though.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
This is a tough one! I think my personal collection of Saturn exclusives might be my largest, but there are probably even more noteworthy Japanese exclusives on the SFC. The PC Engine has been mentioned and the amount of high quality Japan exclusives is probably insane.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, I'll have a look at some of those. Loved the PS1 Asuka 120% games and I've played Legend of Valkyrie arcade version but I'm down to try some of the others.
Keep in mind that some titles I've cited are good to round off the PCE library if one already have all the better games (case in point Gotzendiener, game with potential but clearly unfinished).
So check out the gameplay yourself to understand what's worthy for you.

Also don't underestimate the WonderSwan library :-)

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Saturn has a bunch of arcade games like Dungeons and Dragons and things like Elevator Action Returns that get past language barriers by being simple to play. I'll go with Saturn.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
The Family Computer

Nintendo-Famicom-Disk-System.jpg

Followed by Saturn, then Super Famicom.

PCE is basically a Japan-exclusive console really too, almost unfair if it was included.

Last edited: