• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
You know, I was going to post this thread just about Final Fantasy spin offs, to give me yet another excuse to tell you all that FINAL FANTASY TACTICS ADVANCE IS THE BEST DANG ONE but then I remembered some of the spin offs from other series I loved from other series, particularly on handheld.

So I thought I'd open it up to any series, and then I can tell you how FFTA is better than it.

So what's your favourite spin off era?

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Pokemon Colosseum. Best OST in the series, great worldbuilding, and trainer battles that don't feel tedious or pointless.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
StarFox Adventures is the best StarFox game and should be the template for the main series.

Fight me.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
FFTA is terrible.

My fav spin off is probably Legend of Mana, which at this point is the only Mana game i really enjoy.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Without spending much of time thinking about it, XCOM: Chimera Squad was really fun (and cheap). I still prefer the main series obviously, but Chimera Squad had some neat things that would transfer over well. In example the breaching mechanic.

Also Thronebreaker/Gwent might count?

Last edited:

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. They can be difficult, unlike the main series, and music is always excellent.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely LOVE Judgment so far, if that counts.
God of War: Ghost of Sparta
Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine
Killzone: Mercenary
Daxter
Crash Team Racing
Tekken Tag 2
GTA Vice City Stories

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Does Devil May Cry count? Probably not.
What about Descent: Freespace?
Command & Conqer Renegade was legit.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Or else we could fight on the roof of a castle or something, and then whoever loses has to start from scratch and spend another 20 hours building their arguments again.

Lmao That's fair.

I had a friend that played FFT with game shark stuff back then, so he got stuck on the roof battle because his characters with 999 str got charmed/confused and killed themselves haha good times.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed may be the best Sonic product in the past 20 years, with the possible exception of Mania.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
San Andreas is the super easy answer technically speaking, but I'm not sure if actually fits the spirit of the thread. Same for Code Veronica.

For right now I'll say Halo Reach or FFT.

Jul 16, 2020
images

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
World of Final Fantasy
Persona Ultimax
Persona Q

Do SMT games count? If so:

Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Devil Survivor 2

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
Judgment. I haven't got round to Yakuza 6 or 7 yet, but I'd only rank this behind 0. I liked the combat which involves mobility more than usual, and the main story is better than most of the other games in the series.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
After a bit more thought my final answer is Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.

How about someone remaster or remake that? Thanks.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
From more recent years, I really enjoyed Uncharted Lost Legacy and Spider-Man Miles Morales more than their main games.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Revengeance?
Is early and it's the first thought.

it's probably this for me. Simultaneously completely different from the main series, yet completely in line with it too.
San Andreas is the super easy answer technically speaking, but I'm not sure if actually fits the spirit of the thread.
The game itself can't really count as a spin-off because it's exactly like GTAIII gameplay-wise, but it and Vice City are titled like spin-offs. I've never thought about how weird the numbering of that series is though.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
A few spin-offs I greatly enjoyed:

Pac-Land
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Lmao That's fair.

I had a friend that played FFT with game shark stuff back then, so he got stuck on the roof battle because his characters with 999 str got charmed/confused and killed themselves haha good times.
I think FF Tactics and Tactics Advance are both excellent in different ways, but I will forever fight for TA because it is severely underrated whereas Tactics get all the love it needs.