• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Pokemon probably has my favorite battle system of any JRPG. The problem, of course, is the games rarely ever make good use of it. When you're placed into situations where you need to make good use of the system (PVP or more difficult fan games), it stands heads and shoulders above anything else I've played.

I'd go with Octopath Traveler as far as gameplay goes in a particular game. Fire Emblem: Three Houses was also addicting for me, but it had more to do with having fun with unit customization since the maps themselves were a bit hit or miss (and the game launched a bit too easy).

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm starting to realize it might be Pokémon. The games don't have a ton of mechanical depth, but rather everything feeds into each other. Preparing for gyms, learning match types, full control of your party, evolutions, catching new Pokémon, and finally creating an ultimate team by the end.

It's not like say a Persona 5 battle where if you get a super effective move it then allows for a baton pass, and then eventually allows for a hold-up (and there are multiple choices for what to do at each of those steps).

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Digital Devil Saga/Persona 4

More actiony, FF XIII, and VIIR if i didn't have to deal with Materia.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Action - Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix (Critical Mode)
Turn Based - Pokemon 4th gen (Most balanced meta)
'Strategy' - Fire Emblem (Either the GBA games or PoR)

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Turn-based wise, any SMT game using the press turn system, but Nocturne's presentation gives it the edge. Action wise I'd go with KH2FM, and I haven't really played many SRPGs, so I guess Fire Emblem would be my default.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I've still yet to have something hit my combat sweet spot since Fantasy Fantasy Tactics. It's just so varied and perfect for me.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
FF Tactics, Grandia, Souls.

To be honest, I don't really care, it's a vague term.
What makes an action rpg an action rpg is generally there is some form of dexterity required for it. Not that it has to be devil may cry but xeno is more like a traditional mmo combat
I consider an action RPG any game recognized as an RPG where pressing a button immediately leads to an action, like attacking or dodging. Games like Xenoblade and FFXII aren't because there's still a menu between button presses and the resulting actions. Maybe Dragon Age II and Inquisition blur the line though.

I consider an action RPG any game recognized as an RPG where pressing a button immediately leads to an action, like attacking or dodging. Games like Xenoblade and FFXII aren't because there's still a menu between button presses and the resulting actions. Maybe Dragon Age II and Inquisition blur the line though.
I always thought those were RTWP, I think those existed before the term action rpg made it outside of Japan.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Strategy is definitely Final Fantasy Tactics. I haven't played a game since that tops the skill system, I've seen a few that did more interesting things with the tactics of it, but the multi-classing and utility skills concepts from FFT haven't been topped for me.

Classic I'm gonna say Lost Odyssey, almost for the same reason actually. The combat in Lost Odyssey is good and the enemies and bosses are mostly pretty solid, the little active element that rings brought to the combat was cool, but I really love the way you can effectively customize most of the characters by building up the sort of lose social link to inherit skills, you can't do it with every character, but it lets the ones that you can do it with feel powerful and keeps them relevant. They're supposed to be powerful according to the story, so it makes sense they'd be the best of your characters, and the way you have to unlock those skills means you're not just throwing the weaker characters out and never using them. It also somehow manages to have that system in place with what feels like less grind than most games that have similar kind of "links".

Action maybe Kingdom Hearts? I'll admit I don't actually play that man action JRPGs, but I think Kingdom Hearts (The 1.5 remake is the only one I've played to be clear) does a good job of having fun combat that isn't too chaotic or difficult to follow, and the RPG elements are there too. I guess a lot of people think 2 is better, and maybe it is, but I felt like I had a lot more control over when skills activated in the first game, where as the second one, a lot of the skills felt very situational and I wasn't always clear on what conditions lead to being able to activate them. Maybe I'm just slow and I only like the first one better because I understood it more, but that's my opinion anyway.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Strategy RPG: Tactics Ogre LUCT (PSP) / Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)
Traditional RPG: Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Best combat system: Grandia XTreme/3
Action RPG: Bloodborne (PS4)

Oct 25, 2017
Strategy RPG: Wild Arms XF. All the encounters/mission objectives are so varied, the game makes you adjust your strategy and party make-up.
Traditional RPG: I can't decide among Bravely Default, Bravely Default 2, or Octopath Traveler. Maybe the last one. But for the same reasons above -- the fantastic encounter design eventually forces you to move outside the comfort zone of a "typical" RPG party and/or frequently has you change your loadout as you enter new areas.
Action RPG: Dragon's Dogma. They're master works, all. You can't go wrong. Honestly though, I don't play this genre much. I should probably fix that, as I have Bloodborne sitting in my massive backlog. I've never played any of the Souls games.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Tales of Beseria is considered an action RPG, you can do instant attacks like you said, but you have to wait it out until the Soul Gauge is charged, for the artes to do substantial damage and begin the stages of the combo. So you can you use blocks and dodges to build it up, which isn't that different from Xenoblade when you press the burst affinity buttons to defend them all, and to charge up the chain attack. I find it quite superfluous to say Xenoblade isn't one, because the way you build up the combo stages, and the timing is similar.

In my opinion, that was drawing an arbitrary line, and I think one person who likes one battle system, has a good chance of enjoying the other.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
For classic turn-based RPG I'd say the Bravely series. All three games are similarly fantastic. I love the breadth and depth of the job system, there's tons of options and tons of interesting ways to combine them. You can make some extremely overpowered parties with the right setups and discovering that is a lot of fun for me.

For dungeon crawling RPG I like the Etrian Odyssey series. The job system is similar to Bravely in terms of its breadth and depth, but it's a bit more restrained and mathematically refined than Bravely, which is fun in its own way. I also find the dungeon crawling such a joy, it hits a good balance between chill and difficult, the puzzles are fun, filling out the map is satisfying, and overall it's very player convenient.

For strategy RPG I haven't played very many, all I know is that I like Fire Emblem's basic gameplay concept a lot more than Final Fantasy Tactics's.

For action RPGs I not a big fan in general, but I really liked CrossCode. Your moveset is a lot of fun and the enemy and boss fights are always unique and interesting.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Strategy RPG: Valkyria Chronicles. One of the most fun core gameplay loops I've ever experienced, in an RPG or in any other genre. Funnily enough, my first experience with the series of VC2, which is everybody's least favorite. Sure, the plot is bad. But all I knew at the time was that the game was amazingly fun. And that was enough for me.

Traditional JRPG: I'm going to cheat and say every PS2 era SMT game. Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Persona 3 (and 4, but less so). If you forced me to pick one, it would be Persona 3.

Action RPG: Not my favorite genre, but if I had to pick I'd choose Kingdom Hearts 1. Simple, but fun.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Shining Force III (all 3 scenarios are playable!) and Dragon Force need more love in here
Shining the Holy Ark while were at it, what a fantastic dungeon crawler

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Strategy: Fire Emblem three houses. So much to do, a good story, characters, deep combat system.

Classic: FF12 and XC2. I prefer the dynamic systems of these games to the old 'select potion from a menu' type. Amazing worlds and combat systems, deep and satisfying.

Action: Dark Souls mainly. I would have added Dragons Dogma and Nioh but for me the DS series is just above the competition. I love DS2 and rate it above 1 and 3;lol.

All in all I am not a fan of classic JRPGs. I like the aesthetics and the world building of older FF entries but for me they are too slow and grindy to play. I much prefer FF7R to the original.

Oct 25, 2017
A bit obscure but there's an early access deck builder RPG called library of ruina which has the best single player turn based Battle system I have ever played.
OOoh, this looks to be right up my alley. I can't tell from the game page, but how far in development are they? I'm usually not a fan of Early Access, but if the game is content complete (i.e., can play to the end), I may give this a go now.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Tales of Graces f? That battle system is sublime. Every character is so unique and so fun to play, and the CC system makes using every part of your character's kit so easy and so enjoyable.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
All those SNES JRPGs. Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Secret of Mana series. If Chrono Trigger counts, then that too.

Final Fantasy III comes to mind for turn based and I'm not really a fan of strategy games.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of games and series that come to mind, like Etrian Odyssey, Bravely Default, Ys, Tales of Graces F, etc, but if I had to choose on thinking, it'd probably be Pokemon (Specifically competitive Pokemon). VGC is such a fun format when you learn it and it can be super addictive to just do one match. It's a lot of fun mind games and when you're doing well you can really feel yourself growing as a player and matches can be super tense and fun. That said, it feels a bit unfair to compare the multiplayer experience to other game's single player ones

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to realize it might be Pokémon. The games don't have a ton of mechanical depth, but rather everything feeds into each other. Preparing for gyms, learning match types, full control of your party, evolutions, catching new Pokémon, and finally creating an ultimate team by the end.

It's not like say a Persona 5 battle where if you get a super effective move it then allows for a baton pass, and then eventually allows for a hold-up (and there are multiple choices for what to do at each of those steps).
Pokemon actually has a shitload of mechanical depth, easily more than any other JRPG by a longshot. The issue is that the single player game doesn't even scratch the surface so you really need to be playing competitively to appreciate it. Hell, the sheer depth is what can lead to Pokemon having so many unique and different feeling meta games depending on format. Like the differences between VGC and OU are well documented, but even comparing VGC to doubles OU which are both doubles formats they have major differences due to the difference between bring 6 choose 4 and bring 6 use 6 formats

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
For action: Final Fantasy VII Remake knocked it out of the park;

Turn based: That goes to Golden Sun of course 😏

ATB: Granda series

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Action - KHIII ReMIND

Turn Based/ATB - FF13

Whatever Xenoblade is - Xenoblade 2

the genre distinctions are really muddy so.... but I would call those three my favorite JRPG combat overall

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Classic JRPG - Trails of Cold Steel III
I think as a combination of challenging obstacles and giving players a breadth of choice, Trails of Cold Steel III is as good as it gets for me. I loved tinkering with each character's builds, swapping orbments out to fine-tune an incredibly strong combination of abilities. I got so into the combat, I ended up cranking the difficulty up to Hard, where I used to struggle with the previous entries in the series. Runner-ups: Final Fantasy XII, Persona 5 Royal, Xenoblade Chronicles

Action JRPG - Ys
Pick any Ys game. Seriously. I love them all. Ys VIII is maybe my favorite gameplay-wise, but every entry holds up so incredibly well and feels so intuitive to play. Runner-up: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Strategy JRPG - Fire Emblem: Awakening
I admittedly don't have much to draw on, but I found Fire Emblem Awakening to be the most addictive of the SJRPGs I have played. All around very satisfying and I think creating super children added a lot of layers to the whole thing. Runner-up: Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Dungeon JRPG - Etrian Odyssey IV
I have actually only played one DJRPG despite trying to get into them numerous times before, so this is just an excuse to talk about EOIV which I'm currently playing, and finding myself absolutely floored by the gameplay. The dungeon design is absolutely out of this world, and it's got some of the stiffest yet most satisfying combat puzzles I've experienced in a JRPG. I am absolutely hooked into the series after this one entry.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Action RPG: Bloodborne, Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma and Kindgom Hearts

Real Time Combat: Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII, Xenoblade and Final Fantasy VIIR

Turn Based: Final Fantasy X, Pokémon franchise

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Pokemon actually has a shitload of mechanical depth, easily more than any other JRPG by a longshot. The issue is that the single player game doesn't even scratch the surface so you really need to be playing competitively to appreciate it. Hell, the sheer depth is what can lead to Pokemon having so many unique and different feeling meta games depending on format. Like the differences between VGC and OU are well documented, but even comparing VGC to doubles OU which are both doubles formats they have major differences due to the difference between bring 6 choose 4 and bring 6 use 6 formats

Ah that's the issue then, I have no clue about PvP Pokémon and wouldn't even know where to begin.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah that's the issue then, I have no clue about PvP Pokémon and wouldn't even know where to begin.
PvP Pokemon is a lot of fun, I'd recommend at least trying it. Especially since getting rental teams from great players can really reduce the barrier of entry for trying it out before you're willing to commit to building your own teams. There are plenty of good resources on learning the game depending on which format you're interested in (I personally tend to focus on the official VGC formats myself). Just know that if you use stuff like rental teams it's important to actually learn how that team is meant to be played by reading a writeup if available and possibly watching the creator show it off in a video. If you're new and trying to use someone else's team without knowing how it's actually meant to work it'll probably end very poorly

Oct 28, 2017
OOoh, this looks to be right up my alley. I can't tell from the game page, but how far in development are they? I'm usually not a fan of Early Access, but if the game is content complete (i.e., can play to the end), I may give this a go now.

The final boss is releasing next month, the game as it stands is like over 80 hours long, the translation is excellent. Not technically done though it's releasing shortly.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
Turn Based: Digital Devil Saga 1& 2.

These games use the already-excellent Press-turn system SMT made famous. On top of this, DDS forced you to use a limited set of characters with fixed strengths, weaknesses, and skillsets that could not be covered (until very late in the game IIRC). On top of this, your available party members were occasionally limited by the circumstances of the game itself. Since you didn't have a raft of personas/demons to trade out on a whim, you really had to play the hand you were dealt which made almost every encounter highly strategic.

Strategic: Final Fantasy Tactics

Not an original choice but there's a reason for that. What I think works in Tactics favor is that grinding is possible, but it is also inconvenient and kind of a pain in the ass (any encounter with all chocobos is harder than most story battles). So there's this nice balance where your incentivized to continue progressing even when the current story battle is challeging, but you can go grind out some levels if you really need to. The result is that there's a really natural difficulty curve. Outside of one infamous 1-on-1 battle, it rarely throws up brick walls, but never feels like a cakewalk either.

Action: N/A

I feel like action RPGs kind of blob together in this formless quality slime of "alright-to-pretty-good". They can play pretty differently (Ys is different from Mana which is different from Kingdom Hearts) but the peaks and valleys of this subgenre aren't as dramatic as the others.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
FFVIIR as it's combat is unrivaled.

However I would be lying if I said Valkyrie Profile Lenneth and Final Fantasy X-2 aren't a solid second and third for me.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Grandia 2.

Single greatest turn based combat system TO DATE. An easy way to manage which fights you do or don't get into, a really nice overworld system, dialogue moves at your pace...

Grandia 2 is good as hell.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
Valkyrie Profile may very well be one of the best for me. I love the side scrolling dungeon design, platforming elements with using the 'ice crystals' to create platforms, and of course the rhythmic timing-based battle system. Extremely unique game in every which way.

For an action RPG, gotta go with Ys Origin. This is Ys distilled to its essence, it's super fast and kinetic, and those boss fights (with shmup/bullet hell elements) are incredible.

Some others I loved:
FF5 - love the Job system
Star Ocean 2 - the Skill and Item Creation system were so ahead of their time and really addicting
Wild Arms 4 - the hex-based battle system was fast-paced and allowed for a nice amount of strategy, plus adding 3d platforming elements to an RPG was really cool
Lufia 2 - awesome puzzle-based dungeons
Nier Automata - Platinum-quality 3D action battles and I liked the shmup elements

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Turn based combat: SMT Nocturne

Action combat: Dark Souls

Strategy combat: Devil Survivor 1/2

Town exploration: Crossbell Trails games

Outside exploration: Xenoblade

Minigames: FFIX

Weapon customization: Resonance of Fate

Skill development system: Star Ocean 1/2

Sidequests: Shadow Hearts Covenant

Dungeon design: Valkyrie Profile

General gameplay: That's harder to pick. I think Xenosaga III is pretty good in most of its gameplay elements, so it's my pick.

Last edited:

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
Persona 4 Golden for the day-to-day fare. Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy IX for minigames. Final Fantasy VII Remake for action-based combat. Xenogears for turn-based combat. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age for overall combat mechanics. Star Ocean 2 or its skill upgrade systems. Lufia II for dungeon design. Legend of Mana for world exploration. Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age and Xenoblade Chronicles if we aren't counting that. :P

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
SRPG: Fire Emblem Conquest. Great map design, mostly a good level of difficulty, and a great balance between simplicity and the RPG mechanics.

Traditional turn Based: Cosmic Star Heroine. Pretty much a textbook example of how to make a great turn based combat system. It's simple but still provides variety both in character builds and combat encounters, and it has a good enough level of difficulty that you actually need to play the game properly in order to beat it.

Action: Ys Origin. The perfect action game. Simple, but it plays incredibly well, and the three different playable characters for some variety. It's also impeccably paced, which isn't something you can say about modern Falcom output.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
My picks:

SRPG: Disgaea 5's story is bland garbage but the gameplay, with its systems upon systems and options upon options, is amazing value if you're an SRPG fiend.

ARPG: Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix on Critical is just great. One of the most challenging and satisfying ARPG experiences ever.

Honorable Mentions: Dragon's Dogma (it's fun but it also has too many issues for me to put it over KH2FM), Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (also has issues, but it's my favorite ARPG that lets you swap between party members), Rogue Galaxy (my guilty pleasure ARPG. The combat system is actually super *busted*, but that's what makes it so great)​

JRPG: Labyrinth of Touhou 2. It's a hybrid JRPG/DRPG with ridiculous levels of party variety (between its cast of 48+ party members). It wouldn't be that inaccurate to call it the Disgaea of DRPG's (it even has a very, very extensive post-game like Disgaea). It also has the only good random encounter system in a JRPG ever.

Honorable Mentions: Labyrinth of Touhou 1 (it's hard as nails, unforgiving as hell and with graphics that have aged like the finest of raw milk, but the combat system still holds up and it still has some of the most adrenaline pumping boss fights in a JRPG ever) and Wild Arms 3 (has a fantastic, methodical combat system that is seriously let down by the hellishly slow battle animations)​

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy the gameplay of FF Tactics Advance 1 & 2. The pace of the battle was just right and the job system was just so amazing.

Can't say the same about war of the lions though. For some odd reason it doesn't really clicked for me and I just finished it because of the story.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Classic RPG: Blue Dragon. Great version of the FFV job system allowed for good customization. DQ styled battles with great encounter design. Loved the ability to delay your turn on the timeline to power up your attacks or extend the range of your spells.

SRPG: Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Love Fire Emblem as a series and this one is my favorite entry. Battalions and Combat Arts are a great addition that allow me good tactical options without being overwhelming. Great flexibility in growing characters with what skills they learn, class options, NG+ features, etc. Divine Pulse give me the freedom to be more daring with my strategies and avoid turtling. It's telling that this is the first FE I'm playing through on Maddening/Lunatic - I feel it supports the challenge well mechanically.

Action RPG: FFVIIR. Though if the OP didn't specify JRPGs then my favorite Action RPG would easily be Mass Effect 3.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I honestly think Tokyo Mirage Sessions has my favorite turn-based battle system. At least once you're able to chain attack combos with benched party members. That plus being able to quickly switch people out is just super fun, made even better by all the random chance attack

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy the gameplay of FF Tactics Advance 1 & 2. The pace of the battle was just right and the job system was just so amazing.

Can't say the same about war of the lions though. For some odd reason it doesn't really clicked for me and I just finished it because of the story.
Completely agreed with you there. FFT was great for its time, but sooooo slow. Mechanically speaking, the FFTA series were fantastic iterations – even the Law system, IMO. A shame though about their pivot away from the political themes of their predecessor.