• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Top Chef? Hell's Kitchen? Chopped? Cutthroat Kitchen? Iron Chef??

Masterchef: The Professionals is my current top tier. Decent hosts and cooks and not over-dramatized trash. Masterchef Australia isn't good but it's high tier on YouTube because of all the Knorr stock pot comments everytime Marco Pierre White is in a video.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Masterchef Professionals UK is the best imo

I miss Michel Roux Jr though, Marcus Wareing isn't as good

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Final Table was pretty good.....but Japanese Iron Chef is king.

Edit: Also the big family cooking showdown is great.

Hooky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Top Chef is the best. It sucked, slowly became really good, collapsed under its own success/fending off rivals and went back to sucking only to make a comeback last year but now it sucks again. Still, I'll watch every episode.

Drew Magary won an episode of Celebrity Chopped or whatever that was, so that show cannot be considered as best anything.

Get well

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just looked up an episode randomly on youtube and skipped ahead, first recipe I see made is a "buffalo chicken wasabi mac & cheese". This is a nasty hill to die on.

The point is often that they have huge restrictions to what they can use or make, so you'll get crazy things like that.

Its one of the more wacky cooking shows, which I like.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Masterchef: The Professionals

The voice over and music and the atmosphere really make it so good.

Yay, there are three people who agree, including you, OP!

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
australian masterchef back in 2011-2012(I think) when I used to watch it(i'm not australian btw). so much great content.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Masterchef: The Professionals

The voice over and music and the atmosphere really make it so good.

Yay, there are three people who agree, including you, OP!
lol the voiceover when presenting the chefs with the finished dish is so overly refined and elegant. Almost parody level.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't normally watch them, but if I do I prefer things with Gordon Ramsey in them. I always liked the one where he'd help failing restaurants that was on years ago.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
MasterChef Brasil is easily the best. Watched other shows and they dont come close, overdramatic, repetitive, bad hosts... Even other Masterchefs are not as great - watched half a season of the Spanish, a bit from USA and Mexico.

The Mexican actually seemed like the most real one when it comes to "random people that cook well and want to be a chef". In Brazil now that we are in the 5th year of MC we only get a selection of rich people that are used to cook with ingredients 99% of the population never tasted, plus 1 black, 1 lgbt and one immigrant. The MC Professionas is great and usually brings much more diversity for some unknown reason.

Final Table blew my socks off. If not then Chopped or Iron Chef.

I liked Final Table, but there is a lot they could improve (and probably wont).

First episodes have too many participants so you end up not even supporting or getting to know any of them. The middle episodes get better because of better time distribution. Last ones were ok for me because the guys I liked were eliminated so I had to watch a final where I couldn't care less who would win...

It's a format made for Netflix, 1 hour episode is not enough to deliver a great cooking competition for me, specially in such a short season (comparing with Masterchef for example, have 16+ episodes that last 2+ hours in Brazil).

Last edited:

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Top Chef is still the best format, but they all kinda succeed or fail on the cast for the season. I'm enjoying current season mainly because I'm from Kentucky. I felt really bad for brother because it seemed like the cast was kinda shitty to him. It may have been the edit but it really turned me off of a cast I was already not big on.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
That's not a chef competition show but Kitchen Nightmares is pretty good. Better than Hell's Kitchen anyway.

I know. I realized it after I posted it, but the first part of my post was about those competition shows. I'll sometimes watch Hell's Kitchen for five to ten minutes.

The Kitchen Nightmares part was just an add-on. I think it was better than the competitions.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Bake off. After watching this, a lot of the over-dramatic American shows just start to feel like a coke-up intense mess.

Some of the other stuff up people posted above looks good as well.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like Cutthroat Kitchen because of the crazy sabotages. I just wish the contestants were more cutthroat about stacking them all onto one person.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Chopped is the best but it just has way too much content, it is really nice how its bite sized and you can watch in any order (for the most part). Can you believe Chopped is up to ... SEASON 40??? Isn't that nuts?

Top Chef is still our weekly go to cooking show we sit down and watch, its gotten kinda boring and stale but this season is nice and reasonable, nothing crazy and very good chefs.

I used to watch Masterchef and Hell's Kitchen but both shows just got way too much about drama and the constant cuts and recaps and stupid pauses became annoying. Its pretty much just Top Chef with the occasional Chopped. There is a new Netflix cooking competition show but haven't checked it out yet

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
The original Iron Chef was one of the best things ever. I generally can't stand fakey stuff in reality/competition shows but something about Iron Chef just worked perfectly, and the dubbing just adds to the fun.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Probably Top Chef, some great seasons.

Second I'd say is Chopped, it's easier to just watch one of the 1,000+ episodes randomly whereas the reality format requires dedicating more attention and time.

The most boring ones are baking related or ones where the people are amateurs. Which can make Chopped suck sometimes too.

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
MasterChef
Cutthroat Kitchen
MasterChef Jr.

In that order with me and my wife.

We're watching old seasons of Hell's Kitchen.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The most boring ones are baking related or ones where the people are amateurs. Which can make Chopped suck sometimes too.
This is why Hell's Kitchen is usually boring. Even if it's just sabotage by the producers or something, the fact that supposed working chefs are portrayed as supremely incompetent during every service makes the show dumb.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This is why Hell's Kitchen is usually boring. Even if it's just sabotage by the producers or something, the fact that supposed working chefs are portrayed as supremely incompetent during every service makes the show dumb.
They very purposeful mix in shitty cooks on that show with some decent ones. Either that or the talent they attract is really just that bad.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Most of the ones mentioned already.. (Iron Chef, Masterchef, Final Table, etc)

Nailed It is a spectacular train wreck for those wanting something in contrast to the professional chefs.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Nailed It

I'm numb to people who are just amazing cooks. Like yeah, I wanna eat all that shit. Who the fuck doesn't? All the overly flowery descriptors from the hosts and judges just blurs together.

Nailed It is about celebrating people just trying to make something, because that shit is fucking daunting and hard to do. It's not just shitting all over 'em, but celebrating that they tackled this challenge.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
The original Iron Chef was one of the best things ever. I generally can't stand fakey stuff in reality/competition shows but something about Iron Chef just worked perfectly, and the dubbing just adds to the fun.

This right here. Iron Chef America just cannot reproduce the theatricality and over the top nature of the original.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
The Final Table and Top Chef. Most other western shows are a guilty pleasure or they have such dumb fucking contestants that you wonder how they got on the show in the first place.

Iron Chef Japan rules too. American one is theatrical garbage that is mostly staged.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Serious answer; as a complete neophyte in the kitchen, Cutthroat Kitchen entertains me with its pure trashy absurdity.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
I used to enjoy Masterchef UK, but I can't bear Gregg so no longer watch it.

_wnILz2zNkJ4qfykUXOwvDi8fK0NftBzXlgEw14hbjo.jpg

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I'll have to go with Iron Chef Japan and Nailed It. Though GBBO is a close runner up to those two.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Cutthroat Kitchen

- The sabotages are often amazingly creative and funny.
- It's amazing what the chefs can manage to pull together with everything stacked against them.
- The guest judges are crazy to eat the results when they don't exactly know what's in them, considering some of the sabotages.

Pure entertainment.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Chopped would be so much better without the sob story shit.

Gbbo and top chef are my favs right now