• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Shoot 'Em Up?

• Radiant Silvergun

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Ikaruga

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • Gradius V

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • Bangai-O

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Four games they blessed us with, all of them are classics. But if you had to pick one, which one would be your favorite?

Radiant Silvergun for me. Wish I wasn't a stupid kid when I had a Saturn, I would have asked for it for Christmas and gotten it.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I don't play as many shmups as I used to but the weapon system in Radiant Silvergun is so impressive and what puts it ahead of other titles. The sword in particular is a really interesting weapon -- I mean come on it's a melee weapon in a shoot 'em up!

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ikaruga, probably. I like what I've played of Gradius V but the unskippable cutscenes and overall length probably bring it down a step. I don't like Radiant Silvergun's insistence that the player follows the game's chaining system or be left underpowered, but the aesthetics are totally unmatched.

If we're including their 2D action games more broadly, I think that Alien Soldier and the Sin and Punishment games are also among their best.

I don't think Gunstar Heroes really holds a candle to any of these.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first Sin & Punishment by far.

Out of the poll options, I'm not sure. Ikaruga is the most popular but I found its mechanics the most tedious.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
The single best level Treasure ever made was the "flying on a torn-off chunk of aircraft carrier" section in Sin & Punishment. Having said that, I'd give Gunstar Heroes the #1 spot despite my incredibly fondness for the entire Bangai-o series.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Did that 360 port of Radiant Silvergun ever make it anywhere else? That game is great.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Astro Boy: Omega Factor is better then all of them and has shmup sections so in theory that lol

But as a shmup it's Radiant Silvergun

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I put so much time into Radiant Silvergun... that game really changed the way I looked at shooters and what they could be system/scoring-wise. Awesome game. I was never able to get into Ikaruga for some reason, although I certainly do appreciate it. Gradius V kicked my butt, and I didn't play Bangaio all that much on DC, but I did have fun with it for a while.

Oh damn, I completely forgot RS is 360 BC on XB1. Gotta fire it up now!

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Gradius V is by far the best and it's probably because it is the least Treasure-like.

Radiant Silvergun is barely designed levels padding out some really cool bosses.

Ikaruga's gimmick makes it frustrating to play the "correct" chaining way (who wants to be penalized for killing enemies, ugh).

Bunty Hoven

Oct 30, 2017
My truthful answer is possibly Ikaruga, but Gradius V is going to be hard done by if it remains in last place. Yeah it goes on too long, but so does Silvergun.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
most people don't group shmup/STG/shoot-em-ups in the same category as on-rails shooters.
They did more often in the '80s and first half of the '90s but in the late '90s and '00s, the term "shooter" became increasingly used for the FPS genre so people started using Zzap magazine's old "shmup" term. But instead of keeping it broad, its definition often got narrowed to exclude rail shooters. 2d shooters and rail shooters are notably different but I think calling both of them "shoot 'em ups" is fair.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Lol come on, no option for other and didnt list some of the biggest shmups they did

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Bangai O is like a fucking addiction once you learn what its all about. Everyone's first experience is that intro level of alllllll the missiles coming in and dying and then that fucking professor laughing. It'll never stop until you learn how to use the burst deflection stuff (forget what its called) to redirect enemy missiles. They needed to emphasize that tool soooooo hard that they did that as the intro lol. Once you get down that you really gotta rely on that it becomes incredible.

Bangai O Spirits and its 360 counterpart were my jam and then some. Plus they had multiplayer with level creation :D

Mar 30, 2019
I enjoyed Gradius V the most. Gradius is my first shmup series. I can't not go for it despite Treasure's brilliant reputation.

Kyubajin

Feb 22, 2019
Between Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga I must've spent hundreds of hours... Still can't 1CC either one. Gradius V is the perfect Gradius game too, so hard to chose just one.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Lol come on, no option for other and didnt list some of the biggest shmups they did

Those are just about the only shmups they did. Action-platformers aren't really the same kind of thing as shmups.

I love Gradius V the most out of those four. I wish it got going a little faster, but its boss fights and stages from 4 on are phenomenal.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Ikaruga would probably land in a top 5 or so games list for me.

I really appreciate Bangai-O though.

kaRAeDG.jpg

Deleted member 13560

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved them all, but I'm going to have to go with Radiant Silvergun... I'm still waiting for that PC port.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Bakuretsu Muteki Bangai-O!

It's my favourite Dreamcast game and it's just so satisfying when you unleash a 400-max burst and wreck everything around you.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Sin and Punishment Star Successor was the first Treasure game I ever played. I bought it complete for Wii for $4.99 a little bit after it came out.

It's a beautiful, exciting game that I would adore to see remastered.

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
I loved them all, but I'm going to have to go with Radiant Silvergun... I'm still waiting for that PC port.
Your best bet will probably be to play it on Xbox - or if Xbox backwards compatibility ever makes it to PC, I suppose.

IIRC Microsoft fully-funded the XBLA version themselves, which had to have all of its assets remade, and I believe they retain ownership of them.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i could never really get into bangai-o, and i tried across a whole lot of tiny levels spread through the three games. it's got a mario maker feel to it (on a macro level) that isn't for me.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to play more of the rest, but Ikaruga never clicked with me. Radiant Silvergun on the other hand I spent dozens of hours playing.

Xythantiops

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge fan of the Gradius series and its spinoffs. Gradius V is my second favorite Gradius game followed closely behind Gradius Gaiden. I never understood the complaints about the two short unskippable cutscenes. They never bothered me. I'll agree that the length is a bit on the long side though.

I still need to give a shout out to the Radiant Silvergun soundtrack. One of the best.