• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite "Tales of" romance/couple?

• Arche x Cress

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Stahn x Rutee

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Lloyd x Colette

Votes: 59 15.0%
  • Luke x Tear

Votes: 146 37.2%
  • Asbel x Cheria

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Jude x Milla

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • Sorey x Mikleo

Votes: 98 24.9%

• Total voters

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Tales of Hearts, Xillia has the most coherant & tangible ship, the problem is that their relationship is just 1 big anine trope for mortal humans falling in love with non mortal/human partners and/or robots. It loses credibility as a true romance at that point for me, lol. At least Sorey & Mikleo could raise kids together and you could see it, lol

Eh I don't see anything wrong with that trope as long as its done well and its done well in Xillia. Even better explored in Xillia 2. It obviously starts with Jude's infatuation with Milla at first but it moves to more than that later on.

Luke and Tear was just them and the rest of that awful cast sans Guy being awful to themselves constantly. I have such a love/hate relationship for that game.

Yuri Estelle was really good too but theyre just friends.

Barkspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Luke x Tear by a mile. Sorry x Mikleo had the potential to be great, but they downplayed it for obvious reasons.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Mint x Cless is the OG.

Zelos X Sheena is basically an offical pairing

Reid X Farah and Keele X Meredy is really cute too. I really like these the core four in TOE.

Ugh this is going to annoy the shit outta me.

I wrote the wrong name in one poll, it should say Cress x Mint, not Arche. Keep that in mind when voting

Chester is unhappy.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Tear and Luke had a fairly charming dynamic.

Yuri and Estelle is absolutely freakin awful. Estelle's a charisma vacuum and doesn't play well off of Yuri at all(though she kinda does with Rita). Judith/Yuri probably could've worked but they weren't gonna commit to that because they probably wanted more contrast or some bullshit.

Yuri and Estelle are just friends :^)

Sure hope so.

Last edited:

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sorey and Mikleo, it's basically why I finished that game because it was so refreshing to see. Wish it was made more obvious but learning via this thread that even the straight relationships are about the same makes it a bit better.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Sorey and Mikleo, it's basically why I finished that game because it was so refreshing to see. Wish it was made more obvious but learning via this thread that even the straight relationships are about the same makes it a bit better.

Yeah, there's more relationship building and flirting than with Sorey & Mikleo than most of the ships mentioned. Plus these two have history and a backstory of being "childhood friends" without the awkward love triangle trope involved.

UJKpATk.gif

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Sorey/Mikleo. I guess it skirts the like of being canon or fanon, but it's literally what got my gayass through the game so ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
None? Yeah my answer is none, love Tales as a series but romance stuff is annoying, granted I don't like it in any game and do my best to ignore it, I just wanna beat up dragons and shit lol.

Mansa Mufasa

Jun 17, 2019
Toronto
Luke and Tear....Tear was the only one who held Luke accountable and say his change from selfish whiner to self-sacrificing hero...them falling for each other felt real and cute.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
User banned (2 weeks): Inflammatory generalizations
Surprised nobody has mentioned Gaius x Muzet

The way she talks about him filling her with loads of mana, good lord, and she isnt even doing it to tease like she did with Jude.

She just loves talking about how dominating yet kind he his.
The "fill me with loads of mana" was with Jude in the first game.

Muzet was just straight up using them, so I never really considered that an actual relationship, though I absolutely adore Muzet. I like in Xillia 2 when Gaius is surprised to find out about the intimacy of direct tethering.

I've been spending the past several months going through the series in English in celebration of the 25th anniversary of Tales, so this is a topic relevant to my interests.

If there was any romance in Phantasia, I didn't notice it. Same with Destiny. The awful English voice acting in Eternia killed any chemistry the characters may have had. You could see they tried doing something with Meredy and Keele, but the writing and voice acting just wasn't there.

Lloyd and Colette isn't bad, but the only development you get to see is if you do the affection event with her. I went with Lloyd and Sheena on my first playthrough.

Legendia is eh. Senel and Shirley come off as incestuous, which I find a bit creepy.

I love Tear so much, and she's one of my favorite women in gaming of all time, but fuck that stupid ending to Abyss. Who even is that?

I love Emil and Marta in Dawn of the New World. Marta's character totally gels with me, and they actually get to kiss.

I liked Ruca and Illia in Innocence, but there was no closure in the DS version; not sure about the Vita remake. He confesses his love for her, and then in the ending she just leaves along with everyone else and nothing else said.

Estelle and Yuri? I love Estelle just because I'm an Eden Riegel fanboy, but I don't really like Yuri. Relationship doesn't go anywhere. I'd rather pair Estelle and Rita. Not a fan of Vesperia, anyway.

Shing/Kor and Amber/Kohaku in Hearts would have been good if it weren't for the fact that their relationship started with Shing/Kor wanting to sexually assault her.

I love Asbel and Cheria. I love everything about Graces. So glad the Lineage & Legacies chapter fleshed them out a bit more.

Fuck Jude. In Xillia 1, Leia was chasing Jude, and Jude was only into Milla. In Xillia 2, Leia and Alvin have a much closer relationship, but considering Alvin almost killed her in the first game, it seems kind of out of place to me. The parent/guardian relationship with Ludger and Elle trumps everything, though. I get teary-eyed just thinking about Xillia 2's ending.

So disappointed with Zestiria. I loved, loved, loved Alisha and hated what they did to her. I never thought of Sorey and Mikleo as anything more than platonic, but if people want to take more from it, then that's cool. Hell, I would have been ecstatic to have an Alisha/Rose romance. I feel like the game originally started out with the intention of having Sorey, Alisha, Rose, and Sergei as party members, and then Alisha and Sergei got cut.

Berseria was too dark for any romantic relationships that I remember, but I haven't gotten back to replay it yet, so I may have forgotten some of it.

Tops for me are Emil+Marta and Asbel+Cheria, just because they actually have some closure. Nothing in the Tales series comes close to Alicia+Welkin in Valkyria Chronicles, though. That's my high bar.

Last edited:

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
The fact that Sorey x Mikleo is actually in the poll and that is atm the second most voted option is cracking me up lol
I voted for them too, of course.

OP
OP

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
The fact that Sorey x Mikleo is actually in the poll and that is atm the second most voted option is cracking me up lol
I voted for them too, of course.
It's not surprising, there relationship is literally the only part of Zesteria that isn't consistently clowned on for being garbo

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Asbel and Cheria makes the romance in Xenoblade 2 look like a masterpiece of character writing in comparison

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Arche X Cress? I always thought Mint was the interest...... Never played Phantasia though. Just read your threadmark, disregard lol

I went with Asbel/Cheria just because I love Graces that much. But there are a lot of good pairings here. Luke x Tear's relationship growth through Abyss was great. Lloyd & Colette's a staple.......well I guess Stahn and Rutee are too since they have a canonical son in the sequel lol

Though I personally loved the dynamic and shipped Jude x Milla, I never got the impression that was going to ever be a serious thing. Milla seems completely uninterested.

Glad more people are admitting to Sorey/Mikleo vibes.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
These multiple posts mentioning Emil and Marta are making me question my memory, here. That's not a thing, right? I vaguely remember Marta (badly) faking being into Emil to take advantage of his powers or something, then once the truth comes out and they work through the ensuing trust issues, they settle into being allies but nothing more. The details are fuzzy, but wasn't it pretty much something like that?

Seems like my brain refused to remember the story correctly because of my general distaste for the game, lol.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Where's Hubert x Pascal? šŸ„²

This poll is missing the actual interesting couples, I swear! Hubert and Pascal, Zelos and Sheena! Also what? Arche and Cress...?

Ugh this is going to annoy the shit outta me.

I wrote the wrong name in one poll, it should say Cress x Mint, not Arche. Keep that in mind when voting

Ah ok, now THAT makes sense. But now Arche and Chester is missing too :P

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone expect romantic moments between Yuri & Estelle gonna get blue balls waiting...

I know I did. šŸ˜„

At best they're becoming close trusting friends in journey between the princess & an ex knight/swordsman.

OP
OP

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
This poll is missing the actual interesting couples, I swear! Hubert and Pascal, Zelos and Sheena! Also what? Arche and Cress...?

Ah ok, now THAT makes sense. But now Arche and Chester is missing too :P
I would have had stuff like Zelos/Sheena and Pascal/Hubert if I could, but you only get 7 poll slots.

Really wish there was an option to let me fix the Arche one, ugh.

Oct 31, 2017
If they fixed the camera. If they fixed the long ass requirements for weapons to level up.
That alone would bump it a full letter grade to me.

....I'm honestly still salty how bad Tales of field/dungeon design dropped off a cliff with the most recent titles.
Maybe it's because idc about difficulty but I was able to easily ignore the skill/equipment system

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Who the hell picked Asbel x Cheria? Asbel is a whiny loser. Cheria can do so much better.

I can't really pick one myself. The 'romantic' couplings in these games are always so awkward.

Right there with you, I feel like Me and the people in the thread who played Graces played 2 different games. Cheria chased after Asbel and he was the classic oblivious goon these anime writers lean on all too often who spent all his time chasing after someone they had no reason to forgive.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I really liked Pascal in Tales of Graces, and was hoping she would pair up with Sophie. I was disappointed when in the f arc they paired Pascal up with Asbel's brother, Hubert, instead

Last edited:

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
These multiple posts mentioning Emil and Marta are making me question my memory, here. That's not a thing, right? I vaguely remember Marta (badly) faking being into Emil to take advantage of his powers or something, then once the truth comes out and they work through the ensuing trust issues, they settle into being allies but nothing more. The details are fuzzy, but wasn't it pretty much something like that?

Seems like my brain refused to remember the story correctly because of my general distaste for the game, lol.
Nope.

Marta is doting on Emil the whole time, but then Emil gets frustrated and angry that she's projecting some kind of made-up image onto him, and she backs off, and then he eventually realizes he's fallen for her. They have a heart-warming scene in Altamira where they hold hands, and in the true ending, Emil comes back and they kiss in that same spot.

Right there with you, I feel like Me and the people in the thread who played Graces played 2 different games. Cheria chased after Asbel and he was the classic oblivious goon these anime writers lean on all too often who spent all his time chasing after someone they had no reason to forgive.
I think the difference is that I don't watch anime or read manga, so I'm not constantly bombarded by the same anime tropes. Nothing about Graces felt trite or clichƩ to me, so I really enjoyed the characters for what they were.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Nope.

Marta is doting on Emil the whole time, but then Emil gets frustrated and angry that she's projecting some kind of made-up image onto him, and she backs off, and then he eventually realizes he's fallen for her. They have a heart-warming scene in Altamira where they hold hands, and in the true ending, Emil comes back and they kiss in that same spot.
Wow, I wasn't even close, lol. Maybe I really should give Symphonia 2 another playthrough sometime, see if I enjoy it more now that I'm not as attached to Symphonia as I was the first time I played it. I remember liking the gameplay, but I don't think I gave the story/characters a fair shot since they felt like such a downgrade from the first game.

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
Berseria had Eizen x Islands/escape tunnels to be fair.

I wanted to vote Lloyd and Sheena. But the real answer is Luke and Tear. Nothing comes close from the games I've played (Symphonia and beyond)

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I also want to add regarding Luke and Tear: Don't play Tales of the World Radiant Mythology.

Good god, what they did to Tear was criminal. They changed her from such a strong character that challenged Luke to become a better person to some meek person that's just following Luke around and lets him walk all over her. šŸš®

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Do any of these games actually have romances? Or is it all that "lead girl clearly likes lead boy but he's dense and nothing comes of it" anime thing?

OP
OP

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Do any of these games actually have romances? Or is it all that "lead girl clearly likes lead boy but he's dense and nothing comes of it" anime thing?
Two of the couples listed in the poll flat out get married, one adopts a kid, the other conceives a kid who is the protagonist of the sequel.

Tear actually confesses her love to Luke