• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is a tough one for me, Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 alongside Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas are tied for me, then there's GTA V... I've played so much GTA V man...

San Andreas has a special place in my heart, it was way ahead of its time in my opinion. But if I had to pick one I would go with Red Dead Redemption 2.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Red Dead Redemption. Apart from FF Versus XIII (which we never truly got), never have I so closely followed a game from its first public mentioning all the way through to release, and I just found it incredible on so many levels. Went back and played it again a few months ago (while my fiancée, who doesn't normally love bigger games but felt she had to play RDR2 after watching me play a bit, watched) and still love it just as much, if not more. RDR2 is an incredible achievement and experience for so many reasons, but I still enjoyed RDR more and felt its commentary on the end of the West and what "civilisation" really means was far more well articulated and powerful than anything RDR2 had to say.

OsramTaleka

Nov 25, 2020
Before this year, I would have said Vice City. After playing through the story though, I have to say GTAV.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2
Their most current game usually ends up my new favorite cause they always innovate upon the newer ones. But RDR2 is the only I can say I truly value the story just as much as the gameplay.
Bully is my second favorite

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Would probably be GTA:SA if I played more of it.

Vice City > GTA London 1969 > Table Tennis.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
That's really difficult. I don't think they've ever made anything I like, but didn't they publish Oni? Then that. If forced to choose between their in-house games, it would be a dice roll, because I don't consider any of their games good.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Does GTA1 count? Because everything I played after that (GTA3, SA, 4) was atrocious.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The one that made the biggest impact at time of release was definitely GTA III, I basically said "fuck it" to schoolwork it was that fun and addicting :P

While GTA V's open world is the GOAT the actual campaign was kind of snoozers and felt dated compared to other open world games.

RDR2 has far and way the best story and most immersive world, yet also manages to feel very stuck in the past wrt mission design. Unpopular opinion but I preferred the epilogue portion with its slew of non combat oriented missions and slice of life type objectives compared to the bloated main campaign.

I loved GTA IV for the mp and physics. Rocket launcher duels at the airport was some good fun.

If I had to pick one it would probably be III for the impact alone not only personally but its influence on the industry at large. It felt revolutionary at the time.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Bully, also one of my favorite games of all time. The game just oozes with charm.

RDR1 is also up there.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I can't choose between Red Dead Redemption, Max Payne 3 or Bully so that's a three way tie. Hell, Manhunt, GTA IV and Vice City could take one of those slots depending on the day too.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
My Rockstar list is somewhat small. In order

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. GTA 4
3. GTA 5
4. Red Dead Redemption

Red Dead 2 really shows off the writing chops of Rockstar and it's refreshing to move on from their cynicism sometime. GTA 4 because I love the rags to riches story and also just the immigrant experience Niko goes through.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I love all of the GTA games, especially IV for it's amazing physics.

From the non-open world games I would have to pick either Manhunt or Max Payne 3. Playing and completing Manhunt as a teenager on the PS2 was a wild experience that stuck with me. That shit was sinister as fuck. Probably wouldn't hold up well today though.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
MV5BMzUzNWM2M2EtZGI0Mi00YTg5LWEzNjMtNTY3ODc1YTY2MmIyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTgwOTE5NDk@._V1_.jpg

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird for me because trying to play RDR1 after playing 60+ hours RDR2 did not do RDR1 any favors. Maybe I needed to just play more of it (I played maybe the first 2 hours for nostalgia purposes), but it highlights how insane of a jump RDR2 was in terms of open world design and visuals.

I always had RDR1 as a top 5 ever game for me but this now had me questioning that.

At the same time, I think the gunplay in RDR2 is mediocre and it's entirely due to the controls. Once I eventually play on PC, this will probably change my perspective.

TLoU Part II was another game I played during the same time I played RDR2 and it blew RDR2 out of the water in the gameplay department... in every aspect that you can think of. Like it's not even close - that game is still unrivaled in third person shooter land.

Max Payne 3 is where they did gun play the best by far out of any game they've created and I was hoping that they would have applied to what they learned to GTA V, but they didn't do anything....

With all that said, I'm probably not ready to rank, but I can say the more modern rockstar games are up for there for sure. Older GTA titles hold up decently but because Rockstar has pushed open world interaction in so many meaningful ways they make the other titles seem barren.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 nailed the cowboy fantasy/simulation like no other games. It's one of the best games I've ever played, and I'll gladly buy every remaster they'll make of it.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Please please please don't kill me.

But it's San Andreas Definitive Edition.

I never liked the deep sunset skies of the original, I much prefer the more GTAV like natural sunlight. I love the draw distances, I love the improved trees. When I first played San Andreas I was pretty meh on it, but now it's my favourite Rockstar game equal to GTAV.

I've never played a Red Dead though.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
RDR2 > GTA: SA* > Bully > RDR1 > GTA V > GTA: VC* > GTA: IV > LA Noire > GTA: 3*. That's my ranking but I'd say they're all fantastic games and I love them all.

*Not the definitive edition

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Bully > RDR2 > GTA:San Andreas > GTA: Vice City > Max Payne 3 > GTA 5 > Manhunt > GTA 3 > GTA 4 > RDR 1

If LA Noir counts it would be top 4. But this is all the ones I've played.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 without a doubt.

GTA2 is also super fun, but RDR2 is just incredible...

I also liked Vice City and LA Noir, everything else was not particularly of my taste... well GTA3 was definetly good for its times but nothing more.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Red Dead 2 easily. Just an incredible world to get lost in

GTA4 remains the multiplayer peak though and my favourite to dick around in due to the physics

listerine

Jul 6, 2021
I'll go with Vice City or Bully. Haven't played either in a while but I remember having the most fun with them.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
RDR1
RDR2
GTA 4 + Dlc's
GTA Online
LA Noire

I can't choose. I love these games to death.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
RDR1 and GTAV was where I kinda peaked on Rockstar appreciation personally, and I think GTAV edges out the overall win.

RDR1 had the better narrative in my eyes by a long shot. I don't really like the story in GTAV all that much, but I did love the particular modern-day toolset the game provides the player access to, and I felt like its Los Santos map had a lot of fun things to discover and details to take in if you just wandered around. I also did have fun playing GTA Online with my brother and a few friends for the month and a half or so that we engaged with it, which was shortly after the first Heist missions dropped.