• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
A Pure Gamer would be someone who doesn't know how games are made, the controversies that can happen, or all the latest news of a particular game or franchise. Someone who is innocent to the industry, pretty much.

For those of us old enough to remember this, it would be like relying on the gaming magazines to hear of any possible new games and screenshots. Everything was about the "hype" of the game.

For me, it was The Wizard movie (the first Nintendo Direct some people say). Everything leading up to it was amazing, including the hype about see Super Mario 3 for the first time. The plot was okay, too.

Last edited:

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
so a "pure gamer" is someone who plays games but doesn't follow the industry? And their "pure gamer" moment is being stunned by discovering something new?

if that's the case, then probably something when I was a kid.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Well lets just say I thought games were put together by magical fairy dust in my time playing Vanilla WoW. I was amazed by seeing people fly above me with their bats in Undercity, unbeknownst to me that it was just a flight path. I was amazed when I crossed from the Eastern Kingdoms to Kalimdor, thinking I had crossed into Alliance territory since I thought the two continents were separated by Horde and Alliance.

Oh yeah, and I was so enamoured having a hearthstone that I used it to show off to someone I just met on the game, as if I was the only one who had it.

Now I'm a game developer so it's kind of impossible for me to not question every little detail of games these days.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first thing that came to mind was seeing Sonic & Knuckles in a store. I had never heard of it but was a big fan of the first three games. Being able to attach it to Sonic 2 and 3 blew my mind.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being a kid in 1983, putting a quarter into Sinistar expecting something like Galaga or Asteroids, and then having this thing scream at me:

Last edited:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Back in 87 or 88, I saw the Sega Master System in a Toys R Us ad (I think) and the cartridge plugged into it read "Cobra Command". In my ignorance of youth, I thought that meant the LaserDisc game was going to be ported to it, not knowing anything about storage space, full motion video, cartridge ROM sizes, etc. It actually convinced me to ask for that for Christmas instead of a NES. I still loved it, but it's still kind of embarrassing to look back on as a huge fan of video games at that time. I then made the jump to thinking Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc. would be on there too. Even got some of my friends hyped up.

Cobra Command would eventually come to a Sega console several years later in the form of the highly compressed Sega CD version. That brought back all sorts of memories of the above! LOL

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
i was playing sonic 2 (maybe a week or so after the release), got the emeralds, got 50 rings , jumped...
and lol i had no idea that what happened then would happen.
it was amazing

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back in 87 or 88, I saw the Sega Master System in a Toys R Us ad (I think) and the cartridge plugged into it read "Cobra Command". In my ignorance of youth, I thought that meant the LaserDisc game was going to be ported to it, not knowing anything about storage space, full motion video, cartridge ROM sizes, etc. It actually convinced me to ask for that for Christmas instead of a NES. I still loved it, but it's still kind of embarrassing to look back on as a huge fan of video games at that time. I then made the jump to thinking Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc. would be on there too. Even got some of my friends hyped up.

Cobra Command would eventually come to a Sega console several years later in the form of the highly compressed Sega CD version. That brought back all sorts of memories of the above! LOL
Weird. There is no Cobra Command on SMS so I wonder why it was in an ad.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. There is no Cobra Command on SMS so I wonder why it was in an ad.
It's indeed strange. I know I didn't dream it, because I looked at that ad rather obsessively for weeks. :) I mean, the horizontal shooter of the same name from 1988 would have made much more sense, but that didn't make it either.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I yelled out explicit terms on XBL