• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite N64 Rare Game?

• Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 226 26.6%
  • Banjo-Tooie

Votes: 37 4.4%
  • Goldeneye 007

Votes: 252 29.7%
  • Perfect Dark

Votes: 128 15.1%
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day

Votes: 73 8.6%
  • Diddy Kong Racing

Votes: 80 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 53 6.2%

• Total voters
Aug 12, 2019
Banjo-Kazooie, but I've never played Goldeneye 007 or Perfect Dark on hardware that could actually keep it at a steady frame rate, so they could easily take that spot too.

Oct 25, 2017
Goldeneye was my favorite, but it didn't age well for me.

Honestly, it might be Blast Corps?! Holy shit, I need to think about this more.

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Hard to choose between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, but I will stick with BT, the worlds were awesome.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I had tons of fun playing Goldeneye with my High School buddies every afternoon, but it has to be Banjo Kazooie for me.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie!
At the time, I considered better that Super Mario 64 because I had so much fun with them. That's much to say because we all know SM64 is legendary.

Close second is Diddy's Kong Racing
I payed that game to death! I collected everything and finished everything! It was the reason I broke a controller for the first time! I loved it!

Tied in 3rd: Perfect Dark and Golden Eye! I liked PD more, but I had so much fun with 007 multiplayer and those proximity mines

I also liked Conker's Bad Fur Day, but not as much then.
One game I wanted to play so much but never had the chance was Jet Force Gemini. It looked incredible and remembered reading everything about it, but I couldn't buy it.

Man, Rare was so good in N64 era! I wish Microsoft pull their head out of their a$$ and bring them back with full force! They made a commitment to have better first party games and just with Rare alone, they'd have an incredible line up against anything Sony and Nintendo.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
OP, where is Mickey's Speed Racing USA?

edit: I guess it's "Other" :-(

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Goldeneye is great and a benchmark in the industry, but I still preferred Perfect Dark from the two. PD improved every single good thing that Goldeneye did, added few other excellent (AI bots... I mean Sims in the multiplayer, multiplayer challenges, multiplayer rankings, secondary weapon functions etc.) things in the mix. Yes it needed the Expansion Pak to run in it's full glory which is kinda unfair for Goldeneye, but they really did a wonderful job with a new IP and polishing the older gold.

Top five would be something like...:

1. Perfect Dark
2. Banjo-Tooie
3. Jet Force Gemini
4. DK64
5. Blast Corps

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Kazooie. Imagine being anywhere close to going toe to toe with Mario 64 so soon after that generation-defining game was released; whilst also being it's own thing. (Mario 64 is my personal GOAT.)

Goldeneye was also amazing, but I realise I look back more fondly on B-K now.

Wish Rare had done a 2D Donkey Kong Country game on N64, would have been interesting to see how that could have turned out. But 2D platformers went way out of fashion that gen.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Wish Rare had done a 2D Donkey Kong Country game on N64, would have been interesting to see how that could have turned out. But 2D platformers went way out of fashion that gen.
The closer thing would have been a 3D platform on rail like Crash, Donald Duck: Quack Attack on N64 and the early prototype of Dream/Banjo or a straight sidescrolling platformer with polygonal graphics like Pandemonium or Tarzan on N64.
It would have felt "last gen" against the 3D going anywhere that was the norm on N64 though.

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
It's gotta be GoldenEye. Great single player as well as multiplayer, with a fresh consolized FPS control scheme (that worked excellent for the time), and it made the N64 look cool to boot.

Personally I found Perfect Dark to be a much better game in retrospect, but the nod has to go to Bond.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for your input, DK, but even kids knew that game blew banana chunks.
Maybe the kids but not the reviewers (DK64 was critically acclaimed) and the word-of mouth wasn't negative either since DK64 is by far Rare best selling platformer on N64 and overall of the generation (Super Mario 64, Crash and Donkey Kong 64 were the only 3D platform games to have sold more than 5 million units in that gen).

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Their output was legendary on the N64. So many genre defining games!

The edge goes to Banjo 1 - perfect evolution of the 3D platformer formula.
Close follow up is Diddy Kong Racing - nobody ever did an adventure racer again that was that good.
After that is Blast Corps. Feels like they were just messing around and it somehow came together in this great genre mix. It's a blast.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie. One of my favourite N64 games.

Our whole family loved this game (plus Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing). Will never forget getting it for our birthday.

Was a little confused as to why Banjo-Kazooie wasn't in the original Smash Bros. As the IP seemed like one of their biggest/most popular at the time.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

The closer thing would have been a 3D platform on rail like Crash, Donald Duck: Quack Attack on N64 and the early prototype of Dream/Banjo or a straight sidescrolling platformer with polygonal graphics like Pandemonium or Tarzan on N64.
It would have felt "last gen" against the 3D going anywhere that was the norm on N64 though.

What's funny is that Rare was actually originally going to make DK64 play more like an "actual" 3D version of the Donkey Kong Country games and it was going to be something similar in style to Crash Bandicoot. But apparently that concept was held back by the N64's hardware, so they scrapped that idea and just made it a Banjo Kazooie clone with more collectables and bigger worlds and pretty much rushed the game out to meet the holiday 1999 release date.

Not to mention there was also a game breaking bug during development that would only be fixed if the expansion pack was used, so that's the real reason why the game required an expansion pak to be played. The development of the game was just a mess. No wonder it didn't turn out to be as good or refined as it could've been.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thats a tough one as all of Rares games For the N64 (except Mickey's Speedway) were amazing. My favourite is Goldeneye, recently played through the game again and it still holds up well today, BUT the 4K conversions of the Banjo games and Perfect Dark on the One X make those the best games to play today.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Conker easily.
It's one of those games that doesn't really do anything fantastically, but it all comes together wonderfully.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
Thats a tough one as all of Rares games For the N64 (except Mickey's Speedway) were amazing. My favourite is Goldeneye, recently played through the game again and it still holds up well today, BUT the 4K conversions of the Banjo games and Perfect Dark on the One X make those the best games to play today.

Yeah BK on Xbox One X looks really good and the camera control is better, but my favorite part is how the notes stay collected even if you die. I was able to make this the first game I've ever 100%d.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Perfect Dark by a pretty significant margin. Don't like any of their collectathon platformers. I've always found their mascots ugly and obnoxious too, so I never wanted to try Diddy Kong Racing, though I'm told it's good.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Goldeneye gives me really good memories of time with friends but it has to be Banjo-Kazooie for me: I could play that game endlessly and forever.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
What's funny is that Rare was actually originally going to make DK64 play more like an "actual" 3D version of the Donkey Kong Country games and it was going to be something similar in style to Crash Bandicoot. But apparently that concept was held back by the N64's hardware, so they scrapped that idea and just made it a Banjo Kazooie clone with more collectables and bigger worlds and pretty much rushed the game out to meet the holiday 1999 release date.
I very very doubt it.
Crash's scope is very constrained compared to a full blown 3D platform game (and that's because Naughty Dog was inspired by the existing crop of 2D paltformers like Donkey Kong Country and Sonic and wanted to pull off a pretty 3D game on a weak console like PS1), it should be easier to pull off.
Are you sure you aren't thinking about Dream/Banjo which at the beginning was more linear (see video below)?
Of course Rare abandoned the "on rail" concept once they saw Super Mario 64.

Banjo's "linear" prototype:
youtu.be

Rare Revealed: A Rare Look at Dream

You never thought you'd see the day. But as we spelunked through the archives for Rare Replay material, it resurfaced after all this time. And here it is: un...

Izamaru

Nov 27, 2018
Greece
Conker by far! The mix of adult humor and cartoon characters was a delight. If im not mistaken there hasnt been a similar game since then.

finngamer

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Absolute travesty, that Jet Force Gemini isn't on the poll.

Some of the best graphics and music of the generation, not just the best for Rare games. Great worlds, awesome weapons, and a super versatile control scheme, once you learn it.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I very very doubt it.
Crash's scope is very constrained compared to a full blown 3D platform game (and that's because Naughty Dog was inspired by the existing crop of 2D paltformers like Donkey Kong Country and Sonic and wanted to pull off a pretty 3D game on a weak console like PS1), it should be easier to pull off.
Are you sure you aren't thinking about Dream/Banjo which at the beginning was more linear (see video below)?
Of course Rare abandoned the "on rail" concept once they saw Super Mario 64.

Banjo's "linear" prototype:
youtu.be

Rare Revealed: A Rare Look at Dream

You never thought you'd see the day. But as we spelunked through the archives for Rare Replay material, it resurfaced after all this time. And here it is: un...

I just found this on Wikipedia:

Rare conceived and originally designed Donkey Kong 64 as a traditional, linear platform game more similar to the Donkey Kong Country games, rather than the Super Mario 64-like final result. The Nintendo 64 was still new to Rare, and at the time they did not have a common game engine. The linear version was developed for around 18 months. While 3D graphics prevented Rare from reproducing the detailed pre-renderedgraphics of the Donkey Kong Country series, they allowed the company to make characters more expressive. [15]

But originally, I found this information in one of the Kongversation podcasts that the Rare/DK fansite DK Vine regularly uploads on YT. I'm pretty sure it was in one of their retrospective videos on DK64. The site's staff have a lot of contacts from Rare and they were apparently told this story at some point. I think they mention it somewhere in one of these videos. Or both.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017

Not to mention there was also a game breaking bug during development that would only be fixed if the expansion pack was used, so that's the real reason why the game required an expansion pak to be played. The development of the game was just a mess. No wonder it didn't turn out to be as good or refined as it could've been.
Oh yeah, Crash was inspired by DKC, wasn't it. Not sure it would have been held back by the hardware but maybe at full DKC speed something like that would have been a fog-fest on N64.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Mickey's Speedway USA =D

jk is Banjo-Kazooie; but I need to be in a very specific mood to play it, not gonna lie... but I don't believe Rare made a bad game on the N64 (yes, DK64 is no exception)

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo-Tooie

Sure, the first game is probably better overall, but I spent many hours as a kid exploring the bigger and wilder worlds of Banjo-Tooie. Probably the game that cemented my love of exploration in games.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie. One of my favourite video games to this day, that I've possibly replayed more than even my favourite game (Ocarina of Time).

N64 Rare was a powerhouse of great games.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Out of the Rare lineup it's easily Conker's Bad Fur Day. What a unique game. I still prefer it over the Xbox remake. The multiplayer was great too.

It's being followed by Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps and Diddy Kong Racing.

Why not Goldeneye you ask? Well, I had nobody to play it with back when it released... And overall I had more fun with Perfect Dark's singleplayer. it's still a bloody fantastic game, mind.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Tooie should drop out and endorse Kazooie, lest GoldenEye underservedly wins this thing.